LIVE from SE Asia with Sungirl - 29 Nov16 Diamond Princess

KCSungirl

WOW! I am still speechless. I can't believe I actually made it to the Maldives. We have to make every minute count as I am sure this is a once in a lifetime moment. We were up for sunrise on our deck. Went to the west end of island to our favored breakfast buffet - Mixe. The views are stunning everywhere. After breakfast we walked the beach back to the villa. 1.7 miles. i got a nice thigh burn walking in a bathing suit. If I get any more burns, I am going to be uncomfortable. The sunburn is getting better.

We enjoyed our villa, private plunge pool, and view all day. PC loves his open water swims. The current is pretty strong.

By 3pm, I was ready for a cocktail and salad. We walked to the closest beach bar/restaurant to eat/drink. We hopped in a buggy before 5pm to go back down to the west end for sunset and get ice cream at the kiosk. Not the best sunset, but really the first one we have had because of weather. By the time we made it back to the villa it was 7pm. I was faced with all the packing and re-organizing. The travel back to Singapore is hard. I will get my butt kicked again with jet lag. We are flying overnight and lose 3 hours.

I have some more comments on the Maldives for later. All good things must come to an end. I am beyond grateful that I was lucky enough to have this experience. We are ready to get on the ship and unpack. At our age, we like to keep moving or we won't see enough of the world.

The seaplane comes to pick us up at 4pm. Night..........

Since we were not flying out until 4pm, the resort let us keep the villa all day, for FREE! Saving PC more money I have a pretty good credit going. As I mentioned before, we alternated restaurants for Breakfast and dinner. We skipped lunch. We made sure to permanently imprint this memory in our minds forever.

I am sunburned and have thigh burn, but other than that, everything is over the top perfect. Nothing a little Aloe Vera can't take care of.

We enjoyed our villa for a few more precious hours, then made our way to the dock where the entire reception team is there to send you back to reality. Rachael gave me coffee beans from the island and a stuffed plush whale shark. My nephew will love it.

I lived out a fantasy that was the greatest thrill of my life. It took courage, money, and STAMiNA. Champagne wishes and caviar dreams are wonderful, but I really need some tacos.

When we get on the plane PC starts laughing and says he can tell me something now that we are departing. Tell me what? Yesterday when he went for his open water swim, he swam back to the villa, up the stairs to the pool/deck. He takes his bathing suit off and jumps in the pool. He is waiting patiently for me to come outside. I am not appearing so he gets out of the water, naked, and goes to the door. He was in someone else's villa and didn't realize it. OMG. He grabs his suit and jumps down the stairs before they see him. He would have gone to jail for flashing in a Muslim country. 😂

I have been searching for the perfect beach all my life. I have many favorites. The Maldives is unique because of the remoteness, privacy, and exclusivity. I would probably say it's the best beach ever, but it's hard to beat the South Pacific - Bora Bora and Moorea, the Cook Islands, and my favorite Caribbean beach in Anguilla. I will conquer the Seychelles eventually. After I recover in a few years.

Thanks for coming with me to Fantasy Island and I hope you got a look at some of my photos. On to Singapore where the Diamond Princess awaits.

. . . . I am sunburned and have thigh burn, but other than that, everything is over the top perfect. Nothing a little Aloe Vera can't take care of. I guess you decided to pop for the $15 tube LOL.

. . . .

When we get on the plane PC starts laughing and says he can tell me something now that we are departing. Tell me what? Yesterday when he went for his open water swim, he swam back to the villa, up the stairs to the pool/deck. He takes his bathing suit off and jumps in the pool. He is waiting patiently for me to come outside. I am not appearing so he gets out of the water, naked, and goes to the door. He was in someone else's villa and didn't realize it. OMG. He grabs his suit and jumps down the stairs before they see him. He would have gone to jail for flashing in a Muslim country. 😂 Funniest story ever! Very brave to tell you. Of course, he didn't know you were going to tell the world!;)

Keep'em comin'!

Paige, how many days did you have in the Maldives. I have lost count. Was it four or five. I say it was worth every minute of your long flight as you were going to Singapore anyway for the cruise or was the cruise only because you wanted to get to the Maldives and that was a way to break up the time away! Whichever, you have done something I have always wanted to do. I am glad you didn't wait too long as we have, because now I don't think we will ever get there! You need to be young and full of energy to be able to travel to some places.

Jennie

Edited by Aussie Gal

We said goodbye to Fantasy Island. Fun seaplane ride back to Male. The Trans Maldivian seaplane terminal in Male is a shuttle ride ride away from the jet terminal. Very efficient. A luggage shuttle follows the passenger shuttle so we did not have to handle baggage The Male airport is a busy place. Someone is making a lot of money. I figure it is some corrupt government leader. We are officially back to reality - Burger King. And it never tasted so good! It was 6pm and our flight didn't leave Male til 10pm. I gave PC $15, he laughed and said that wouldn't cover the cost. He was right, $18 for 1 burger and 2 fries. We impatiently lounged in the departure area for an hour before our TiperAir flight opened for check-in. People watching in airports is my favorite sport. Male was no exception. Ethiad, Emirates, Singapore, Qatar, Sri Lankan, China Eastern, and Al Nippon have the most flights per day. I love those flight attendant parades. Its's a mini beauty pageant. Etihad and Emirates are the most fun to watch. We checked in after 7pm. We had a very long nite ahead. I was too tired to shop, but there was a lot of duty free shopping.

I have been so spoiled by economy plus and business class thanks to my status with United. I seriously was mortified at the lack of space in this A320. PC is the size of a leprechaun and he was uncomfortable. How is this even legal and healthy to jam people in this tiny seats with no leg room? The pitch of the seat is WRONG. It was going to be a long night home.

Lucky Princess strikes again. The flight was full except for 2 seats in the last row. When reserving seats, I choose a window and aisle. My odds are 80/20 the middle seat will stay open. One of my many tips and secrets for travel. When someone comes to sit between us, PC has to make the agonizing decision if he is going to stay in the aisle or give it up to sit next to me. It depends on the size and body odor of the person. Or if PC is feeling romantic and wants to hold hands. 😂 A nice young lady is in the middle seat, but PC gives her the aisle and sits next to me. We are miserably uncomfortable and worried about not sleeping. All of the sudden the young lady decides she want to move to that back row. PC and I can't contain the excitement of the empty middle seat. We are high fiving and chest bumping. It was a long, uncomfortable ride back, but we made it safely. That is the important thing.

With the time change we land back in Singapore at 5:30am. We go back to the Crowne Plaza Hotel to get a day room. I was over the moon I got to see the the EVA Sanrio Hello Kitty plane. I need to find out their flight schedule and book a ride on Hello Kitty. After a nap and shower we were on our way to the Diamond Princess at 2pm. I highly recommend the Crowne Plaza. Their Christmas tree was gorgeous.

We got a taxi from the hotel to the cruise terminal. $22 Singapore, maybe $14 US. Very reasonable. I was getting that kid at Christmas feeling. Electricity. It appears - the Singapore Flyer. WOW. Then the Marina Bay Sands hotel with the cruise ship on top. Double WOW. I am dying. My dream was to see that hotel. Then the Diamond Princess appears. Triple WOW. I am the luckiest princess in the world today.

Thank you for coming with me on our pre-cruise trip. Let's go rock the boat.

Diamond Princess Embarkation Singapore 29 Nov16

Arrived at the cruise ship center at 2:30pm. Beautiful and clean. We decided to carry all of our luggage on board since it was all carry-on size. They scanned our luggage and told me to open my luggage. What? They are going to find my XXXL balcony bikini. Or my 100 bottles of hair product. (Not kidding). My power strip. They are now taking power strips for inspection. There was a box of power strips. You know you are a professional cruiser when you pack a power strip. I will go to security tomorrow to beg for it back. I will tell them my FB fans are depending on my pics and videos. Need fully charged devices.

Cleared security, check-in, immigration, and the photographer. We were in our cabin within an hour after arriving. So exciting. It's been a while since I was on a larger Princess ship. If I am remembering correctly, I have had two previous cruises on the Diamond - Alaska and Mexican Riviera. We make our way to Deck 9 D623. Overjoyed to have a mini suite this cruise. I don't spend for them too often, so this is a special treat. I was smart enough to know the extra space for 13 nights will ensure that PC and I don't file divorce papers with the Captain. I almost booked the aft balcony cabin, as I love the aft view, but took the space instead.

WOW! This is as great as Fantasy Island. We did some quick unpacking and I got our bar set up. I have my priorities straight. I called room service to trade out my elite set-up for all Coke Zero, water, and vodka. I brought two bottles of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc from home. We are good to go. For a few days at least. I bring Crystal Light lemonade singles to mix with my water for my vodka.

I didn't have space in the luggage for room decor this trip. Normally I trick the room out with holiday or theme decor. I have Yankee Candle fragrance spheres, flags, maps and the souvenirs we collect. I am missing my twinkle lights. I am cracking myself up that I used a lot of dang space for that jar of fragrance spheres. OMG. I am out of my mind.

Yes, the cabin decor has got to be updated. It is tired and worn. Not a deal breaker, but it is pretty bad. The gold drapes, carpet, furniture, and bedding is drab. Not cheery or ship modern. Bring on the cream, taupe, gray, and blue color palette. After reading that review about the Diamond "not hitting the basics" my radar was elevated. I had maintenance come look at the air conditioning to make sure it was working. We tend to like things warmer than most people, so you will rarely hear me complain about being hot. The public areas are frosty, so bring that pashmina or sweater.

Two large flat screen TV's in the cabin are a great update since the last time I cruised the Diamond. Movies on demand. Excellent. PC is over the moon that he can watch MSNBC and keep his dates with his girlfriend Rachel Maddow. The mini-suite has the trick toilet. It will take me the entire cruise to master it. Instruction manual is attached. Why did they install trick toilets and not update the carpet and drapes?

Off to my beloved Buff-Ette. Get outta my way, I am on a mission from God. The peanut butter cookies are calling my name. The buffet was crowded, normal for embarkation. I love the decor in the public areas. Light, bright, and cheery, unlike the cabins. We feast on everything. I love the salad bar, cheeses, and bread. No peanut butter cookies! Hopefully tomorrow.

Off to the muster drill at 5pm. Quick and easy. Yes, there are still idiots who put the whistle is their mouths and blow. So gross. I am not sure I could blow that whistle even in an emergency. Yuck.

Taking care of business:

0. Cabin Steward - extra towels, extra Patter, and air conditioning check

0. Reception - hole punch in my key card for lanyard

0. Internet cafe - confirm internet package options for elite

0. Future cruise desk - future cruise deposit and Baltic cruise booking

0. Captain's Circle - check on my status. Guess what number I am?

0. Security - check on power strip

0. Lobby Bar - purchase coffee card $30 -15 drinks -unlimited brewed illy

0. Spa - tour Sanctuary

0. Destination Expert desk - another hunky guy. Will get in a relationship.

I am exhausted. Need to get back to the buffet for fuel.

We sailed out of Singapore at 6:30pm. It was rainy, so sail away was a bit compromised. Shops are OPEN for business! My first purchase - a new wedding ring at the 2 for $34.99 table. Plus my 10% Elite discount. Saving PC more money. I don't travel with any of my "real" jewelry, so I depend on that ring sale to show everyone that I am drowning in diamonds. We stopped in the Wheelhouse bar to check out the LGBT meet/greet. These are my fun, funny, liberal people. I need to know who to stalk.

After completing all embarkation chores we found ourselves grazing in the Buff-Ette again. We are buffet people. We rarely eat in the dining room. I love getting what I want, when I want. We get impatient in the dining room because there is so much we want to be doing onboard. I could eat from the salad bar all day, but you would never guess that when you see my Rubenesque figure.

Happy Hour is from 9-10pm. Buy one drink, get one drink for $1. At the Wheelhouse only.

9:15pm Showtime! Welcome Aboard hosted by Cruise Director Lee Childers. The normal introduction of the activities staff and comedian Simon Cotter. Before I unleash a bad review on Simon, I will wait for his second show. He was so unappealing in every way. I was pretty tired, however. The showroom was overflowing as usually happens when only one show is scheduled. Go early. We sat in the second row and were prisoners. We would have left the show if it had not been disruptive to others. The demographics on this ship are different from what I am used to and always a nice change. Gives me more material and good people watching. This is not a Del Boca Vista cruise. It is a mostly retired-older clientele. Just my speed. Majority are Aussies, Brits, and Asians. A few Canadians, Americans, and a sprinkling of other countries. Very few children even though it is school holidays for Aussies.

We barely, and I mean barely, made it back to the cabin without gurney assistance.

Good night.

It isn't school holidays yet for Aussies. That starts in another week. Thanks for the tip re the aircond - will do that in a couple of weeks. Really pleased the enhanced toilet seats are in place. But it all does sound a bit drab in the cabins.

The mini-suite has the trick toilet. It will take me the entire cruise to master it. Instruction manual is attached. Why did they install trick toilets and not update the carpet and drapes?

The trick toilets are really trick toilet seats, so very easy to install and replace. Diamond usually cruises around Japan in the Northern Hemisphere summer and those seats are very common in Japan.

They are actually very easy to use, and very nice. Be brave :D

Is there any chance you can please post some photos of the patters?

I understand if not.

We are going on the same cruise from 16/12 and will be our first cruise so are interested in the information get.

Really enjoying your posts & love your sense of humour

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are in D621 in January. Hope the mini suite isn't too drab. We have the "flash" toilet at home in our ensuite. Once you get used to them, you can't live without one. They just mount onto any toilet bowl. Looking forward to pics on your web page. Yes, I am now officially a stalker. In Aussie, our high school kids are on holidays, but primary (juniors), have another week to go. Have a good trip, and TIA for the preview. We have not sailed Princess before so am reading with interest, (but I did 22 years in the navy).

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We are in D621 in January. Hope the mini suite isn't too drab. We have the "flash" toilet at home in our ensuite. Once you get used to them, you can't live without one. They just mount onto any toilet bowl. Looking forward to pics on your web page. Yes, I am now officially a stalker. In Aussie, our high school kids are on holidays, but primary (juniors), have another week to go. Have a good trip, and TIA for the preview. We have not sailed Princess before so am reading with interest, (but I did 22 years in the navy).

Bob

I dont think any holidays have started according to Govt websites. I can deal with drab, but not any fan of dirty. We are used to Celebrity sparkle so hope we arent too disappointed come 27 December.

At Sea 30 November16 Formal Night Enchanted Evening

Hello, it's me. I am awakening from the buffet coma if you'd like to meet

Hello, can you hear me? I am on a cruise ship dreaming of the food I'd like to eat.

I really need to cruise more often. The sleep is so awesome. Rock me gently, rock me slowly. Almost comatose.

It's a rainy day at sea which means too many people in the public areas inside. PC delivers a latte every morning. It was quite late this morning - 10am. By the time we finish unpacking, got organized, etc., it's 2pm. We run to the buffet before they close at 3pm.

I was going to the wine tasting at 3pm, but instead decided to go shop. I had an extra 15% coupon burning a hole in my pocket. On top of my 10% elite discount, that was 25% off. Where can you buy Chanel and Lancôme cosmetics for 25% off? They run a promotion on the first sea day - if you spend $100- 10% off or $250- 15%off. My Christmas shopping has just begun. I bought cosmetics and fragrance. I qualified for the "Happy Dot" sticker. I got a red dot on my card and I now receive 25% off on all purchases throughout the cruise. This is the cosmetics/fragrance shop only. Saving more money.

I joined PC in the Lobby Bar for coffee and chamber music. WTH? I must be getting old, I was enjoying chamber music.

I do get very giggly over some of the sea day activities. Some are hysterical to me. Today's favorites:

Box Making - I need more than a box, I need another suitcase

Glockenspiel Class

Hawaiian Hula Dance Class

Aboriginal Dot Painting

Bon Odori Dance Class - the funniest circle dance ever to watch

How to Lose 8 inches - quit eating in the damn buff-ette

Laundry Time. We boarded with 3 loads of laundry. $3 wash/dry. It was busy because people were ironing formal night attire. 8 washing machines/dryers in every laundromat. Soap available for purchase. I travel with the Tide singles. They are awesome. Target used to carry them, but lately I have only found them at BedBath&Beyond. If you didn't know, BB&B has a large inventory of travel size items.

We don't schlep formal wear unless it's a holiday, but that doesn't stop us from enjoying all the pretty gowns, dresses, and tuxedos. We went to the champagne waterfall at 7pm to people watch. The Captain didn't show for his welcome speech. I need to get to the bottom of that.

Another satisfying meal in the buffet and off to the show. Piano Man. OMG. It's time to retire this one. I have seen it 20 times at least! However, I think the costumes might have been updated. I always enjoy the shows no matter how many times I have seen them. They are new again with a different cast. Strong vocalists, IMHO.

Another trip to the the buffet for sweets. PC has been getting soft serve ice cream. It looks horrible like frozen ice milk/water. Yuck. No peanut butter cookies yet. That's just God's way of making sure my clothes fit for 13 days.

Back to the cabin to check out the movie selections. disappointed. Old movies. No first run. We started to watch a Michael Douglas/Diane Keaton movie, but fell asleep.

I will answer questions, etc when I am able to find some "free" internet time. Otherwise, I will comment when we return to Singapore.

Good Night. See you in Borneo tomorrow.

Kota Kinabalu 01 December16

A great philosopher once said "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you might just find, you get what you need"

I want more TIME. Cruising does come with that restriction. I am always frantic about making the right choice on the best way to spend the day in port. As a do-it-yourself traveler, it really helps to have your act together or you can really lose time.

If you are an independent traveler, my suggestion is to order currency before you leave home or get at the airport. ATM's are not always available at the port dock. You need cash for cabs, public transportation, market shopping, and random food/beverage purchases. I bank with Bank of America and I order $50 in every currency I would need. Sometimes more, if I am staying over night or I want to pay cash for a excursion. $50 will always last until I can find an ATM.

Kota Kinabalu is on the island of Borneo. The island of Borneo is the third largest in the world. It is divided into three countries - Malaysia, Brunei, and Indonesia. The Malaysian governed land is divided in 2 parts - the state of Sabah and the state of Sarawak. Kota Kinabalu is in Sabah.

Unfortunately with a noon arrival, half the day is gone from the start. The lines to get off the ship are very long. There are only four ship tours offered, but they accommodate a lot of people on each tour. If you have mobility issues, you need to book a tour. It's a good walk from the the ship to the taxi area or to town. The dock area is gross. No ATM. Taxi/tour drivers are vultures waiting to rip off tourists. Very nice, however. I am sure drivers will accept US dollars, but you are always going to get a better buy paying in local currency. Except in Vietnam or Cambodia where the US dollar is commonly used.

My goal in port is to eat a local meal, connect with local people, and enjoy the landscape. I am not a shopper, but enjoy a stroll thru markets and commercial areas.

You can walk to the city center (30 min.) or take a cruise shuttle for $8 each way. There are two large malls - Suria and Wilma Merdeka. There are waterfront seafood restaurants with nice views, especially for sunset. Traffic is horrible. Leave plenty of time to sit in traffic and be careful when walking/crossing the road.

I was torn between going to the zoo or going to a beach resort. Visiting hotels and resorts is my favorite hobby, so I opted for a visit to the Shangri-La Resort on the south end of town. I had to weed thru the ridiculous rip off taxi drivers before I found Dean. It was $10 to the resort. I probably still got ripped off! Dean dropped us off at the resort and we scheduled a pick-up with him. The resort charges $33/pp for use of their pool, towels, and beach. We had a wonderful lunch waterside - beef/chicken satay, calamari (huge strips), and a cheeseburger with three drinks - $49. They have a very small beach, but charming. Pool lovely. The Shangri La properties are on par with Marriott IMHO. Not high end, not low. Very nice. Dean picked us up and dropped us back at the city market $10. I have been to markets all over Asia - Hong Kong, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Dubai, Cairo, etc. I could not stomach the smells in the this market. There was no way I was buying anything to have that smell in my luggage. There was no way I would eat or drink anything either. I am married to a germaphobe and odorphobe. He can smell a fart a mile away. He was having a fit thinking I was going to buy a scarf that that smelled like it had been stored with dead fish. He is so funny and predictable. I am pretty sure he washed is hands and feet 10 times when we got back to the cabin. I did make a stop at the ATM as we have two more Malaysian stops and I was out of cash. Taxied back to ship $5. Excursion total $140. Plus $16 for a Jim Thompson souvenir purse size mirror. He had a gift shop at the hotel. Lovely.

The sun was setting over the South China Sea as we were returning to the ship. Spectacular. Worth the stop just for the sunset.

We weren't overly hungry after our hotel lunch, so we ate light (that is a relative term!) in the buffet. The food is very much Asian influenced, which is not our favorite. Showtime - a very young Filipino singing trio.- Dreamzone. Very cute. Sang standards/pop. A group you might see on America's Got Talent or a singing competition show.

We were exhausted. We have been so tired at night we don't even remember falling asleep. Too much sun, fun, and margaritas. My Maldivian sunburn turned into quite a facial peel. Maybe I can skip the Botox next time.

We haven't seen breakfast yet, maybe tomorrow.

Good night................