Amount of money to bring while at ports?

few502

Hello,

This is my first time cruising and posting on any type of online forum. I will be sailing on the Liberty of the Seas on Nov. 27 and will be stopping at Roatan, Belize City, and Cozumel. All of our excursions are booked through Royal Caribbean but I am curios on how much money my husband and I will need to bring while at the ports. After our excursions we will probably want to find somewhere to eat and if we buy anything it won't be too extravagant. How much cash do you bring and what are some of the things ya'll buy when visiting these ports?

Thanks so much!

Nicole

Bring what you think is appropriate. Remember that the people in most Caribbean ports are very poor so they appreciate everything. Always ask how much a cab fare will be, but you do not have to pay that. They inflate their prices for cruise passengers because they think they have money. For example, in Mexico, if a store by the port or a taxi say the cost is $20, only actually give them $10 when you pay. Unfortunately many people do not know this practice is acceptable and overpay.

Hello,

This is my first time cruising and posting on any type of online forum. I will be sailing on the Liberty of the Seas on Nov. 27 and will be stopping at Roatan, Belize City, and Cozumel. All of our excursions are booked through Royal Caribbean but I am curios on how much money my husband and I will need to bring while at the ports. After our excursions we will probably want to find somewhere to eat and if we buy anything it won't be too extravagant. How much cash do you bring and what are some of the things ya'll buy when visiting these ports?

Thanks so much!

Nicole

How can anyone answer that.

Depending on your shore excursions, bring some small bills for tips.

For your purchases/restaraunts bills are you planning on using a credit card. Most popular places for tourists will accept credit cards.

Just be careful if your card charges a foreign currency conversion rate as most charges are done in local currency.

As other said bring more than you think you will need and make sure to have small bills. If you only have large bills and need change you will often get it in local currency even though they will take whatever you have. Split up your cash so it isn't all stored in the same place just in case.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I'd say minimally $100 for 2 people if you aren't already booked on an excursion, so, since you are, you could start with $50 for the two of you probably.

It generally costs $7/person each way for a taxi, so round that up to $10 with tip. So, $40 for round trip taxi for 2 people to get to a beach. Then you'll have $60 left for buying food and drinks, or small souvenirs.

Add money from there if you plan to also purchase non-ship excursions, or if you plan to rent jet skis, or buy more expensive items for souvenirs. Jet skis usually cost $50 for a half hour, snorkeling usually costs $50-$80 per person, island tours can be negotiated, but can cost anywhere from $20-$50 per person through a taxi driver.

Hope that gives you a place to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Mostly all good advice here . We travel with smaller bills ( 20's the largest ) . We've been told in some places that the larger currency is too often counterfeit & have been refused a number of times . Who knew ?

I have also had this issue, even with $20's, but they'll usually take a $20. I've had a $100 bill refused because they didn't think US money went that high and assumed it was fake.

Bring what you think is appropriate. Remember that the people in most Caribbean ports are very poor so they appreciate everything. Always ask how much a cab fare will be, but you do not have to pay that. They inflate their prices for cruise passengers because they think they have money. For example, in Mexico, if a store by the port or a taxi say the cost is $20, only actually give them $10 when you pay. Unfortunately many people do not know this practice is acceptable and overpay.

Well, gol-leeeeee, since they are very poor and they appreciate everything, I'm really going to save some money and give them $5.00. Nope, don't want to overpay.

For example, in Mexico, if a store by the port or a taxi say the cost is $20, only actually give them $10 when you pay. Unfortunately many people do not know this practice is acceptable and overpay.

Really? What's acceptable about that? You must be fleet of foot to get out of stores and taxis unscathed after that sort of performance. Let's show a little class and kindness and make it easier for the next boatload of cruisers who come to town.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In our frequent land travels in Mexico , you are told to always establish the price first with a taxi . Many places are regulated ( taxi unions ) & the fare is set . Some taxis are privately run & you Can negotiate PRE trip . I think you would find yourself in some serious talks with the police if you tried this scam .

When we went to Grand Caymen we ran out of money. When our excursion dropped us at a beach we were flat broke. The excursion bus had come back and picked up folks a half hour earlier then they told us. We missed our ride to the port. Luckily we had befriended a couple on the excursion and they had missed the bus as well. They paid for a taxi to get us all back to port. We paid them back our portion of it when we returned to the ship. The next day in Mexico we saw them shopping and they were short on cash. We helped them out! So the moral of this story is bring a lot more [emoji385] then you think you will need[emoji41]

Edited by goldgirl2

Well, how much money do you bring at home, when you go out for the day? What are you plans? Are you eating? Do you need a taxi? Do you want to buy drinks? Water?

I carry what I need, and most likely much more than I need. I also have credit cards. I don't care if there is a conversion rate, because if I bought lunch for $10.00 it is about $0.30. My credit card does not charge a rate, so it's irrelevant for me anyway.

I don't worry about small bills. If I want to pay cash, and they don't take the money, I simply go to the next store, and let them loose the sale.

I use one credit card to guarantee my cruise and a different card with free currency conversion in port. If your card is lost, stolen, or compromised in any way in a port it won't affect onboard charges. Never use a debit card (gives them direct access to your bank account). Bring a lot of small bills because change is often given in their currency. In one port we stopped for some water & beer on the roadside while on a tour and the owner pocketed the change and said times are hard.:eek: Remember islanders think you are rich and by their standard of living you are.

I plan for the extra tips to the crew, possible slot money if we even play so for our upcoming 7 day I am planning on $400 and for our two week possibly $500 or 600. I use one CC for our on board charges and we have another card as a backup.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

I plan for the extra tips to the crew, possible slot money if we even play so for our upcoming 7 day I am planning on $400 and for our two week possibly $500 or 600. I use one CC for our on board charges and we have another card as a backup.

They are asking about money for ports.

We're leaving on our cruise this Sunday, considering the holidays, I took care of my cash situation today. I have $50 in ones, $200 in fives & $100 in twenties. Small bills are critical! Hubby will take his own cash & usually takes care of tipping the ship crew. You should consider this cash expense since using the ship ATM is a bad idea & sometimes runs out of money. We also tip our awesome bartenders & waitstaff.

Hello,

Thanks so much!

Nicole

I'm on same cruise. If I can help in anyway, you can contact me & my hubby. We'll be in cabin #7324.