Scuba diving at Great Barrier Reef

Carey and Kerry

Hi all -

We are booked on our first Princess cruise (yippee!) and it's on the Emerald to Australia/New Zealand. My question is this - we have booked the land tour prior to the cruise which includes a trip to the Great Barrier Reef. DH is a diver and is, of course, drooling at the chance to do a dive there. The tour indicates that he can purchase an optional dive excursion while the rest of us are snorkeling, etc, but I am trying to find out what is available equipment wise for this dive. I really don't want to pay for an additional suitcase for all of his dive stuff. Princess could not tell me the name of the tour vendor, all they could say was that they were sure "all equipment would be included" but no one knew if that included wet suits and such. Since I know there is the jellyfish issue we really need to know if he needs to pack his wet suit, etc.

Has anyone gone diving on this tour and has some insight as to what he should do?

Many thanks,

Carey

Has anyone gone diving on this tour and has some insight as to what he should do?

DH and I went on the Ocean Princess' Great Barrier Reef Tour in Airlie Beach in 2013. We only went snorkeling, but there was a SCUBA option on the same tour at the same place. I should point out that we had previously done some Great Barrier Reef dives off the Captain Cook Reef Endeavor. By comparison, this dive in Airlie Beach was very disappointing. It was overcrowded with divers and snorkelers. The visibility was poor and there was little to see anyway.

If your husband is serious about diving the Great Barrier Reef, I would suggest that you arrange to arrive in Australia a few days early so that he can take a dive trip to the OUTER Reef. Or better yet, both of you book a Great Barrier Reef cruise on the Reef Endeavor.

And yes, he should take his wetsuit.

Edited by islandwoman

Hi all -

We are booked on our first Princess cruise (yippee!) and it's on the Emerald to Australia/New Zealand. My question is this - we have booked the land tour prior to the cruise which includes a trip to the Great Barrier Reef. DH is a diver and is, of course, drooling at the chance to do a dive there. The tour indicates that he can purchase an optional dive excursion while the rest of us are snorkeling, etc, but I am trying to find out what is available equipment wise for this dive. I really don't want to pay for an additional suitcase for all of his dive stuff. Princess could not tell me the name of the tour vendor, all they could say was that they were sure "all equipment would be included" but no one knew if that included wet suits and such. Since I know there is the jellyfish issue we really need to know if he needs to pack his wet suit, etc.

Many thanks,

Carey

Looking at the itineraries of Princess' cruise-tours you'll be cream-crackered. The itineraries are crazy. The seven day "ultimate" tour is akin to spending a week in the States and trying to do New York, San Francisco, Chicago and Yellowstone in that time frame! The 6 day Outback tour (Sydney - Outback?) covers the famous "triangle" and you'd really want 2 weeks to tackle this.

Personally I'd do Sydney, FNQ + GBR and Uluru under my own steam. I'd pick my reef tour based on whether I was diving or snorkelling as what makes a good scuba tour doesn't necessarily make a good snorkelling tour and vice-versa. The Emerald's Aus / NZ sailings occur during stinger season, so the scuba / snorkel tour operator will provide all the gear and stinger suits as standard. It looks as if the tour is from Port Douglas? In which case you could pop over to Trip Advisor and contact the tour companies that sail out of PD - indeed hopefully someone will respond whose taken the tour. I also wouldn't want to visit Uluru in the height of the Aussie summer!

We have been up to that area a few times on our own (we are locals) and the couple of times we have been snorkelling they have provided wet suits mainly so you don't scratch yourself on the coral. I have never seen stingers up there. The water is warm so you don't need thermal wetsuits. Haven't been diving so that may change what you need to bring but as they are catering for tourists who can't supply their own equipment, I would think they would all supply wet suits. I can't vouch for the cleanliness of them - ours didn't smell so good but figured once in the water it didn't matter. mummsie

I had the opportunity to scuba dive with Quick Silver, out of Port Douglas, last November. All gear was included. We wore stinger suits for protection and warmth and they were provided in various sizes. Water temperature was not an issue as depth was not too deep. Of course, I have been known to swim in the Atlantic off Nova Scotia ( my home) in October so my perception of cold water may be different than yours.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi all -

Many thanks,

Carey

It'll be all kit included.

Another vote for QuickSilver out of Port Douglas. We didn't cruise since we wanted to visit longer; stayed four nights in Port Douglas. They provided all the necessary equipment, visited outer reef (3 stops) and were perfect resources. There were mostly snorkelers on our boat but a few scuba divers. Port Douglas is a lovely town to visit as well as being a great jump off spot to the GBR. DH got a GoPro camera before our trip, shots while there are outstanding.

Hi all -

Many thanks,

Carey

I don't have an answer to your question sorry. But a just like to say I would love to try that someday. Have a great time on your cruise.!!!

Tony

We also did a land tour thru Princess ahead of our cruise a couple of years ago. The ride out to the reef is on large boat that takes you out to a moored platform that they use for all the reef activities as well as feeding everyone lunch. As others mentioned, the dive equipment was provided. It was Aqua Lung regulators and BCDs when I went. We were there when the water temp was very warm so we only used dive skins for protection. The dives were offered for discover divers and certified divers. You sign up for what you want to do while you are riding out to the platform. For certified divers, you can do two dives if you want. I took advantage of that since who knows if I'll be back. Everyone I talked to had a very enjoyable day across all the activities.

We also did a land tour thru Princess ahead of our cruise a couple of years ago. The ride out to the reef is on large boat that takes you out to a moored platform that they use for all the reef activities as well as feeding everyone lunch. As others mentioned, the dive equipment was provided. It was Aqua Lung regulators and BCDs when I went. We were there when the water temp was very warm so we only used dive skins for protection. The dives were offered for discover divers and certified divers. You sign up for what you want to do while you are riding out to the platform. For certified divers, you can do two dives if you want. I took advantage of that since who knows if I'll be back. Everyone I talked to had a very enjoyable day across all the activities.

Thanks so much for your response - the other responses have been helpful, but since we have already booked the land tour we were really looking for someone who had done this. DH says this is the information he was looking for as now he knows what he should pack (I know he was debating about either the regulator or the BCD, I'm not sure which) as well as leaving the wet suit at home. He's very excited at hearing that he can sign up for a 2 tank dive as well!

we are booked on Pacific Princess that will start in Sydney on Feb 12 and goes to Cairns. My husband is signed up for the Great Barrier Reef excursion with Princess. He is very excited. This is all great info. Do you need to bring your PADI book?

we are booked on Pacific Princess that will start in Sydney on Feb 12 and goes to Cairns. My husband is signed up for the Great Barrier Reef excursion with Princess. He is very excited. This is all great info. Do you need to bring your PADI book?

All they asked to see was the certification card. They did ask when last dive was but didn't need to see the log.

I'll check with DH to make sure, but aren't you always supposed to bring the log book so the dive master can log the dives so you have a verified record of how many dives and when?

The log book is not necessary. It is only when you want to log your dives and record where you dove. And some dive operators will give you a sticker to put on your log book. After over 400 dives I have given up on the log book. I just download the dive from my dive computer onto my laptop. Much easier and simpler. However your C-card is a must to show your certification. If you don't have your C-card, the PADI website can still check on your certification. Not sure if NAUI or SSI certification can do that. I am headed to Cairns in April myself and then will be on the Trans-Pacific cruise on the Emerald.

The log book is not necessary. It is only when you want to log your dives and record where you dove. And some dive operators will give you a sticker to put on your log book. After over 400 dives I have given up on the log book. I just download the dive from my dive computer onto my laptop. Much easier and simpler. However your C-card is a must to show your certification. If you don't have your C-card, the PADI website can still check on your certification. Not sure if NAUI or SSI certification can do that. I am headed to Cairns in April myself and then will be on the Trans-Pacific cruise on the Emerald.

That is really interesting and sparked quite a discussion with DH. According to him, he always brings the dive book because he only has a basic dive computer that can't download anything. Since we only go about once a year I guess he felt the expense should go to other pieces of equipment. So this gives me something to start saving for to give him.

Thanks so much for enlightening me - also enjoy your upcoming dives, they sound fantastic!!!!!!

One more question to diverward - DH wants to know if the BCD's are weight integrated or did you have to use a separate weight belt?

Honestly I don't know as I have not been there yet. But if you know who the operator is you can always email them and ask. Integrated or not it doesn't matter so long if you know what weight you need. I am not sure but I think they use KG in Australia so you might have to convert it back to lbs. Have a good dive.

One more question to diverward - DH wants to know if the BCD's are weight integrated or did you have to use a separate weight belt?

The ones they had when I went were non-integrated. Everyone used a weight belt.

Been a while but that's my answer too.