Somewhat LIVE - Indy T-Day weekend 11/24/16

MattInFLL

Although it may be hard to tell in these pics from each end of Promenade, the 70s party is in full swing.

990104272c5e5821e118e12bdd95065e.jpg

967c8d1543f44c78ae18c0e951e2a032.jpg

Quest is up next but I'm not sure I'll be heading there. Not sure Im in the mood for guys in bras tonight ;)

I'm really disappointed that they are not holding the deck party tonight. That has been such a long running Royal Caribbean Staple. I hope that does not mean that they have stopped it across the fleet. It is usually one of my favorite nights.

And guess what this is:

54a84380acb208fd2e2ce91845bf2b3f.jpg

My cabin each night after dinner turn down service. I cannot remember any cruise I have been on where you did not come back to your cabin after dinner to find your "evening lights" on. Not that it means anything I guess, but it's just really weird to come back to a pitch black cabin. Cost-cutting?

I thought topless sunbathing was not aloud out of US ports. I never sailed Indy, only Liberty, Frredom, serenade, navigator and allure and never saw a topless sunbathing section on any of them. Did see the odd topless in various quiet areas on liberty on a med cruise and no one bothered them because that is pretty common and acceptable over there.

Like I said, the topless deck is not my thing. But definitely one here, and my friends have the same opinion as me - we see it on every ship. Well, maybe not Empress since there's no secluded tip top deck.

I was riding up in the elevator to check out the Flowrider and there was a guy carrying his own board so I asked "do you know Andrew?" Of course he said yes. :)

bbc0cae9f10cebd074946ff8c5862d03.jpg

I just did a 10 minute periscope. But mainly beginners.

Here is the guy with his own board:

94d400e6acde09093401f49720916c2e.jpg

This is awesome thank you so much!!! We are on in January and I'm so excited! So I love topless sunbathing because I HATE tan lines lol so this is very exciting for me! I really had no idea there was such a deck on the ships. I hope they still have this and it isn't just a non US thing!

Your pictures are great and really help to get us excited to cruise. He is a total newbie so he's loving the review, thank you! I had a question for you about the mini bar. Do they not just stock it now? You have to choose what to put in it? And what about snacks? I've always used my minibar and don't mind paying the premium but it looks like your checklist only had beverages.

My man is a real steak and potatoes kind of guy so no filet in Giovannis will be a bummer. Would you be able to get a Chops menu? Thanks again for the review!

Oh, and we are going to be in 7336 - that's not yours, is it? We don't want to get stuck with the problem door!! lol :D

I don't think it is s US thing. I only use st tropez to sunbathe and I have never seen topless women. I think I asked someone years ago about it, and they said it was a Europe only topless deck, but I'm not 100% sure I'm not imagining that conversation.

I don't think it is s US thing. I only use st tropez to sunbathe and I have never seen topless women. I think I asked someone years ago about it, and they said it was a Europe only topless deck, but I'm not 100% sure I'm not imagining that conversation.

This is awesome thank you so much!!! We are on in January and I'm so excited! So I love topless sunbathing because I HATE tan lines lol so this is very exciting for me! I really had no idea there was such a deck on the ships. I hope they still have this and it isn't just a non US thing!

It is only used for topless sunbathing on European itineraries. You will be asked to cover yourself up on a sailing from Fort Lauderdale.

I was riding up in the elevator to check out the Flowrider and there was a guy carrying his own board so I asked "do you know Andrew?" Of course he said yes. :)

Lol, he does look familiar but I can't remember his name. I love the Christmas tree photo while you are looking down on the RP the night of the dance party.

It is only used for topless sunbathing on European itineraries. You will be asked to cover yourself up on a sailing from Fort Lauderdale.

:eek: Lol thanks! That would be embarrassing!! I thought it might be the case as Europe is a bit less uptight than we are about topless sunbathing. I appreciate the info!

Matt, have they relocated the Diamond Lounge from the right side of the Viking Crown to the Left? It looks different...

Yes the DL is on the right hand side as you come out the lifts and it's doubled in size, outside area on that side was not open during TA. Having said that the old DL was still open as well.

This cruise had an unexpected end for me and I can now tell you all about the ships emergency facilities, And what it's like to exit the ship courtesy of the Broward county paramedics.

I will say it's the fastest I have ever cleared customs. Royal was quite efficient and handled the situation as well as could be expected. Their emergency facilities are quite impressive.

Now, obviously, there is some seriousness to this but thankfully not too bad. At least that's how it seems for now. My prognosis appears to be just fine, but I will need to wait before answering some of the questions here and finishing up my review.

Safer travels to all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I never did get to finish this review. :) I ended up in the hospital for a week and that sort of put a dent in my schedule and then the holidays etc - so have not been on CC. I am going to post all of the Compasses this evening (easier to do from my phone and tap a talk).

So I got pretty ill the last night of the cruise. The CDC requires anyone who is known to have gastric distress to be isolated in their cabin. The silver lining is when you are isolated you are not charged for the use of the emergency medical facilities. Even in my case where it was clearly not noro-virus and very unlikely to be anything contagious. Anyway, the doctor was great and I felt like I was in very good hands. As she said, they are a primary care facility for the crew and have an extensive facility and they are good at "keeping people alive until we can get them to shore." They did a CBC in about 10 minutes and seem to have a broad range of diagnostic capabilities.

I was put on an IV and then released to my cabin around midnight when everything seemed to have "stopped", but it all started again around 3 am and by 8 am there was no way I could walk off the ship. They wheeled me back to the ship's medical facility and the doctor said she was calling an ambulance.

A couple of things - I have new found respect for anyone in a wheel chair on a cruise. It is astounding the mean and nasty looks people give you when you are trying to get an elevator. But those were not half as bad as the looks you get when they hold up the disembarkation line so the paramedics can wheel you out on the stretcher. What, do you think we're faking it to get through customs faster? :)

I was very embarrassed and would have loved to walk off the ship on my own, but it was simply not happening.

So the CDC also requires you to fill out a long q-aire about everything you consumed and where, what crew members you came in contact with, etc. I sorely hope my great waiter and his ass't were not quarantined because of me, since I did not have Noro.

Customs and Border Protection sends someone on and they process you manually. So I never did get to try that new Customs app.

Supposedly, a Guest Services person was supposed to come down, but that never happened. I did get a sheet with the name and number for the port agent and some other contact info.

When I saw what was happening to me the evening before, and before I went down to the medical facility - I packed my huge bag and put it out and made sure that everything else was in my carryon and "ready to go" just in case - so no one would have to retrieve my stuff from my cabin. A friend of mine went to the port in the afternoon and retrieved my big bag for me. I had called the port agent from the hospital and she put it aside for me.

My gastric distress was an internal bleed that took awhile to get under control. In the process I lost about half my blood, so I guess it was a bit serious. But thankfully, it appears to have been a fluke and no real long term issues.

Since I am single and older, I actually always have an "emergency plan" and so my upstairs neighbor already had keys to my place as well as a contact list for family and certain friends and other important info just-in-case. My friends laugh at this, but it sure comes in handy when you find yourself on a stretcher, then in an ER, and then being told you are being admitted for an immediate transfusion.

I did have the Cruise Care policy but I was not billed for onboard medical services and I am waiting to find out the damage from my ER and hospital visit. Apparently it may cover my deductibles.

Edited by MattInFLL

Matt, how scary for you and a bad ending for your cruise. Thank goodness you are ok now, but am so sorry you went through that. Good that the ship medical staff was good in their care until they could get you to the hospital. Hope you are ok now.

Oh Matt! What a scary way to end a cruise vacation. I'm glad that you received good care. And thankfully there weren't plane flights involved with getting home. Having an emergency plan is a very good and thoughtful idea.

~Patti :)