My 62-year-old father-in-law suffered a minor stroke a year ago. Very nervous.

Carleeb12

He's recovered for the most part, but he really has a hard time with chaos and loud noises. He has always wanted to go on a cruise, and since we already had a cruise scheduled on the Carnival Breeze, we invited him and his wife to come along (she's never cruised either). Now I am stressing big time. We are going the first week in April (Spring Break), and I am picturing him having an awful time due to loud noises and chaos. What are your thoughts about this? If I warn him to stay away from the pool-areas during lunch hours, do you think this will be enough? Is the ship chaotic in a lot of other areas? Will Spring Break make it worse?

He's recovered for the most part, but he really has a hard time with chaos and loud noises. He has always wanted to go on a cruise, and since we already had a cruise scheduled on the Carnival Breeze, we invited him and his wife to come along (she's never cruised either). Now I am stressing big time. We are going the first week in April (Spring Break), and I am picturing him having an awful time due to loud noises and chaos. What are your thoughts about this? If I warn him to stay away from the pool-areas during lunch hours, do you think this will be enough? Is the ship chaotic in a lot of other areas? Will Spring Break make it worse?

Sorry to hear about your father in law. While strokes are very serious the technology now and care they take is amazing, and I'm glad he is on his way to recovery. My father is in the same boat per say as your father in law.

During a recent business trip I took my dad along and gave him my headphones (as I find airports hectic loud and annoying) I have a pair of the "Bose Quite Comfort" headphones. These are the best of the best for noise canceling and audio quality.

I now have purchased another pair as my dad now has comendered mine. My dad is 70 and felt ridiculous at first but he loves them now. He can listen to his music or radio of his choice at his tone and volume he prefers without ANY outside noise. They a little expensive, if you like this idea maybe take him to one of the big box stores and let me try them out and see what he thinks.

I hope my therapy works, it has changed my dads life.

Sorry for what happened to your FIL.

There are a lot of spring breakers mostly on short cruises. On our 7day cruises, there are some but are not as rowdy as others have described, unless we were already asleep when they get drunk, or just plain luck.

Don't stress yourself. The ship has many locations where your FIL can avoid the chaos and noise that you are worried about.

I think yall will have a great time! The earphones are a great suggestion . If you have a balcony that is a very quiet area most of the time. There are a lot of little areas on the ship to escape the noise. We are in our 60's and I just find a seat away from the events but still close enough to watch. The upper level is great to watch the ice carving or hairy man contest while not being int he middle of the crowds. the dive inn movie at night is also really a nice relaxing way to spend the night. Have fun and hope it works out for yall!

I would also look into the possibility of his being able to use the special needs muster station. It may vary from ship to ship, but if I recall, you can do the muster drill in the library or a conference room, and avoid the usual chaos/noise.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Insurance for pre-existing conditions needs to be purchased within a few wks. of booking the cruise. Check with your carrier.

Embarkation and debarkation can be chaotic on any cruise line. Don't really have any suggestions, other than for someone to be with thru the whole process to guide him.

Eat as many meals as you can in the MDR rather than the Lido. The Lido drives ME nuts, and I've never had a stroke.

Is he on any meds? Make sure he has an adequate supply, and make sure he takes them on schedule. It's easy to lose track of date and time on a cruise.

Don't be the first to get off the ship at a port. Let the Type As get off, and then walk him off at a leisurely pace when the crowd has died down.

Roz

I agree that having some sort of medical travel coverage would be important even if he didn't buy general travel insurance. Geo Blue( a division of Blue Cross) offers travel medical coverage for anyone who has any sort of their own medical insurance without asking about pre existing conditions.

You can buy a one trip plan or a yearly plan.

A stroke is a neurological event. It is not like a heart condition, where you have a weak heart. One stroke has nothing to do with the next.

We pride ourselves on not following the crowd. We try to convince our anti cruise friends, you do not have to hoarded like cattle. We rarely leave the ship before 10. This allows the "hoards"of people all trying to exit the ship as soon as it arrives. We never do CCL excursions. Private companies are much more flexible with time. We always get YTD, also allowing less crowded situations. The Serenity area is a great suggestion, but anywhere above the Lido deck will be quieter with more availability of lounge chairs.

Edited by coevan

I had 2 TIA's in my mid 30's and a small stroke at 58. LUckily, I too recovered with just a small issue with balance. Since the last stroke, I have panic attacks when there are a lot of people crowded together. We ask to either go to the special muster station of be in the front row at muster drills. My husband tries to position himself in elevators so I have some space. IF necessary, we get off of the elevators if they become too crowded. I have more difficulty walking down stairs than up stairs. I lose my balance more readily going down. In ports, my husband is always looking out for things that might make me fall. IN some Caribbean ports, sidewalks have more holes and uneven spots than I am used to in the US. Our last cruise was the first one I did not fall in several cruises. We always get travel insurance through a third party within 14 days so my pre-existing condition is covered as my neurologist said I will probably have another stroke before I am 80. (MY family doctor said the neurologist has no way of knowing that.) We enjoy cruising. FOr shows, we sit in the balcony as it seems less packed together than the main floor. I think cruising is an easier way to travel as you can rest when it is too much for you.

Edited by Crusin5252

I have no medical condition, I just hate crowds and chaos. That being said, I had no real problems on the Magic in August. Embarkation and debarkation were crowded, and I knew would be. But we boarded as early as we could and had FTTF which I think helped. I just avoided crowds. We spent a lot of time on deck 5 (promenade?) vs the Lido. Never crowded on the outside decks there. We ate in the MDR every meal and never the Lido buffet. Sought out quiet and private.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

A stroke is a neurological event. It is not like a heart condition, where you have a weak heart. One stroke has nothing to do with the next.

http://www.stroke.org/understand-stroke/what-stroke

http://www.stroke.org/sites/default/files/resources/ExplainingStrokeBrochure.pdf

Please do at least a little research before offering medical advice...

If someone has had a stroke they are at risk of having another one.

I

Edited by BallFour4

1. Spring Break:

We cruised during spring break a few years ago and the passengers were a mix of spring breakers/college age, families, and retirees from the Florida area that could drive to the port/Ft Lauderdale. The cruise line was Royal Caribbean but assume its the same passenger demographic for Carnival.

2. Quiet:

There are plenty of quiet areas on the ship. After the crowds leave the main dining rooms its quiet. The library and business center area are very quiet. Relaxing in your cabin is quiet.

3. Insurance:

To cover the unexpected and in your case medical attention--CSA Travel Protection has a virtual doctor that you can video with during your trip. You download their Teladoc app before the cruise. Call them to see if you can still buy travel insurance for pre existing conditions --I think CSA has a plan that allows you to buy up until final cruise payment. 800-874-2442

Princess may be more to his liking.

http://www.stroke.org/understand-stroke/what-stroke

http://www.stroke.org/sites/default/files/resources/ExplainingStrokeBrochure.pdf

Please do at least a little research before offering medical advice...

If someone has had a stroke they are at risk of having another one.

I

Straight from my Neurologists lips, and yes, I had a light stroke.

3. Insurance:

To cover the unexpected and in your case medical attention--CSA Travel Protection has a virtual doctor that you can video with during your trip. You download their Teladoc app before the cruise. Call them to see if you can still buy travel insurance for pre existing conditions --I think CSA has a plan that allows you to buy up until final cruise payment. 800-874-2442

This is interesting. Is the Teladoc also for consultation within the coverage period?

Edited by easyboy

The ships sail full the vast majority of the time, so there are approximately the same number of travelers each time.

First, I don't know what their cabin choice is, but a balcony is the way to go to enjoy the trip but have quiet time. A lot of chaos can be cut down by opting for meals at breakfast/brunch in the MDR. In the day time, there are lots of "out of the way places" - which is going to vary from ship to ship - "secret decks" at the front of the ship, quiet spaces up top in the aft, the inside bars during the day, and serenity. If you are going to see a show, plan ahead and go early for seats. Let the crowds depart before you head to your next destination. You can use the cabin decks for navigation between floors and spare the "traffic" of the promenade. Lastly, ear plugs.

And for you, remember that you are not responsible for them; they are adults, you extended and invitation and accepted. Until they try it, they will not know if it is for them or not. We have traveled with friends on multiple occasions and have always told them they are free to do their own thing, but are welcome to join us in whatever we are doing. That seems to help set the tone for them to be responsible for learning about the ship, how to navigate it and what to expect.

Good luck!

The Breeze is a great ship for it's multiple calm, quiet areas.

I love spending time relaxing in the lobby, or along the deck 4 loungers.

The exterior Promenade is a great outside space whether you want sun or shade.

I think it will be whatever you make of it. If he's booked in a balcony room, that gives your father in law the opportunity to enjoy the fresh air without the chaos of the pool. The aft pools and serenity areas tend to be quieter and less chaotic too. The first week of april will probably mean tons of kids, but that doesn't always mean the worst.

I would hope the OP trusts their inner voice, great to ask for suggestions too. The OP has already identified some areas of concern.

There are just too many opportunities for loudness, crowds and confusion to occur on a cruise ship. Even entering and exiting the MDR's or theaters can be discomforting to those susceptible to these issues.

Perhaps your next vacation with your FIL could be to an AI resort instead of a cruise?