How to Upgrade my Experience?

the_dylaness

Hello,

I'm wondering about the best Carnival ship to choose and best "upgrades" to make a Carnival cruise more of a premium brand experience- obvious thoughts are suites, specialty restaurants, but not sure of the other possibilities? Doesn't seem like there are many suite perks available. Are there beverage or dining packages (such as on Norwegian or Celebrity?) There is nothing like the Haven I could find except Havana and then our kids can't be in there, right?

We are traveling as 5- 2 adults, 2 kids, and our nanny. Probably looking for a suite for us and then an OV room for the kids + nanny. Carnival offers the most options for the very specific time we have available and a reasonable cost considering the number of people we are taking. But we would like to enjoy a more premium experience (and to a degree willing to pay for such) just not sure how to do it up right.

(I sailed Carnival only one time in the past, on the Legend.)

Interesting thread. What ship are you looking at? There are lots of threads about suite perks...someone else should be able to address that for you if you can't find them, but you might want to also purchase faster to the fun. It has extra perks such as quicker luggage delivery, priority tendering, a special line for guest services and your rooms will be ready on embarkation. Depending on the ship, there are some extra fee restaurants. The steak house is a must... some ships have Italian and Oriental too. These are often free for lunch, but a charge for dinner. Welcome to Carnival! Hope you have a wonderful time whatever you choose!

There are really no special suite perks to speak of. I really don't think you are going to be able to compare what's available on Carnival to any upscale line.

Certainly try to get FTTF so you at least can get early boarding, cabin availability, priority tendering etc.

Choose a newer ship (Vista or Breeze) for the most amenities. Experience all of the specialty restaurants and the Chefs table. Buy a spa package or better yet book a spa cabin.

Hi,

Not sure what an "upscale" experience would be for you??

We book suites on Carnival because we like the space and the real bathroom with whirlpool tub.

We don't book it for "perks".

We like the early on off given to us but we add on Faster To the Fun to make sure our cabin is ready when we board.

We can afford more expensive cruise lines but we like the low key ambiance of Carnival but not sure it is for you??

Do book the chef's table and a spa cabin on one of the ships that offer that. Otherwise drinks pkgs are not "upscale" IMO but just offer folks who drink a lot a way to pay for them up front.

Hello,

I'm wondering about the best Carnival ship to choose and best "upgrades" to make a Carnival cruise more of a premium brand experience- obvious thoughts are suites, specialty restaurants, but not sure of the other possibilities? Doesn't seem like there are many suite perks available. Are there beverage or dining packages (such as on Norwegian or Celebrity?) There is nothing like the Haven I could find except Havana and then our kids can't be in there, right?

We are traveling as 5- 2 adults, 2 kids, and our nanny. Probably looking for a suite for us and then an OV room for the kids + nanny. Carnival offers the most options for the very specific time we have available and a reasonable cost considering the number of people we are taking. But we would like to enjoy a more premium experience (and to a degree willing to pay for such) just not sure how to do it up right.

If you want a premium cruise experience, don't book on the lowest cost cruise line.

If you're paying for and bringing a nanny, Carnival may not be the line for you. You'll be forced to rub elbows with regular folk. Some of whom may have struggled to even pay for an interior room on a lower deck.

I'm trying to prevent you from returning and complaining about not being around a "better class of people." If you did that, you would offend many people, including myself.

FWIW, I can easily afford a suite or anything Carnival offers. However, I'm extremely low maintenance.

We've been in suites on NCL and on Carnival. There is not much similarity. On Carnival, booking a suite only gets you a larger room and a bathtub/shower instead of just a shower. I'd skip it unless extra space is important to you.

I'm no expert on the Spa and Spa cabins, perhaps someone else can identify ships that have them, but at least on newer ships (Vista, Breeze, and some others I don't know about) Spa cabins are nicely appointed and include access to the Spa. They are not NCL Haven quality in terms of amenities but I gather from comments that they are nice, especially if you make use of Spa facilities.

The steakhouses on Carnival are at least equivalent to Cagney's on NCL, perhaps a little better in ambience and quality of the meals. Most (but not all) Carnival ships have a steakhouse, all different names, so check for that on the ships you are considering.

As someone else has mentioned, look into the Chef's Table. It's a whole other level of fine dining. NCL has nothing like it.

While many (most?) Carnival ships have a steakhouse, most do not have any other specialty dining restaurants besides that. The newer ships do. Vista has the most options, including Italian, Asian, and Sushi sit-down restaurants as well as a pay-for but more casual option for Seafood.

On Vista, Breeze and Magic and some others that have had these added recently (check the Carnival website under Explore - Dining Options which you can filter by ship, and you will find quite a few counter-service food options that are included in the cruise fare.) There are more of that type of food service than you have seen on NCL. I think those do add to the overall experience. Blue Iguana Cantina (made-to order burritos/tacos), Red Frog Pub (Caribbean bar food), and Guy's Burgers are the standout examples.

There is a beverage package available, called Cheers. No dining packages.

Edited by old sole

Cloud 9 Spa balcony cabin/suite (thus providing access to the Cloud 9 spa for the adults)

Chef's Table experience

Steakhouse dinner for the grownups

Italian dinner for the entire family (including the nanny)

Behind the Fun ship tour

Build-a-Bear (for the kids)

Dr. Seuss brunch (mostly for the kids, but as a family creates memories)

Cheers for the adults

Bottomless bubbles for the kids

Upgraded wine package (for the adults)

These are just a few I could think of off the top of my head. I think there are many "upgraded" things to choose from, if you're creative and have an open mind.

Either way you decide to go, have fun, enjoy the memories you'll be creating with your children.

:)

Edited by tea4ular

Wow- thanks for all of the ideas. I did not know about "FTTF", Chef's Table, Cheers, or wine packages, as well as many of the other suggested ideas.

Re: Sailing X, HAL, or Princess instead- we've sailed and enjoyed all of those lines, but they aren't that great for kids and since we will be paying for an entire second cabin (and adult fare for our 6 year old as the second pax!... not to mention airfare for 5) it might keep us from enjoying other things on the cruise as much. A "premiumized" suite experience for DH and I, with affordable, family friendly fun for kids + nanny seems to be the best use of resources.

We are probably considering the Breeze, the "Serenity" area looks great.

cruizergal70, I'm sorry if you felt that I was somehow disparaging in my initial post, but if that is the case, I'm not quite sure why. I simply asked about available, existing ways to upgrade our experience on a CCL ship to best suit our needs and preferences. I'm not sure how "class", "regular folk", or what you can or cannot afford came up, but offending you (or anyone else) was not my intention.

OceansOfTravels--- I think my mind is quite open... that's why I'm posting here for advice on trying (a second time) Carnival!

I highly recommend the chef's table. If interested, on the Breeze you can book it in advance on Carnival's website. The downside is you won't know what night it will be until you are on the ship, but there will be plenty for your children and their nanny to do every night.

One word of caution. If you don't love an item, stop after the first bite. The courses just keep on coming.

Hope your family has a memorable cruise.

If you're paying for and bringing a nanny, Carnival may not be the line for you. You'll be forced to rub elbows with regular folk. Some of whom may have struggled to even pay for an interior room on a lower deck.

I'm trying to prevent you from returning and complaining about not being around a "better class of people." If you did that, you would offend many people, including myself.

FWIW, I can easily afford a suite or anything Carnival offers. However, I'm extremely low maintenance.

Hubby & I make decent salaries and could afford higher premium lines, but for Caribbean cruises, we enjoy Carnival. We love meeting people from all walks of life and find the Carnival cruisers very friendly. Personally I don't judge folks on how much money they make.

The chefs table is great, the kids club will give your nanny a break, I hear it is wonderful. I saw kids very upset at leaving it. We didn't do cheers but still drank what we wanted.

If you want to enjoy a good cruise that doesn't cost a fortune, then Carval is a great choice

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by bunnyette

If the Vista was an option and IF a suite was available (There are only 4 and hard to come by) maybe you and your wife could book a suite in Havana, and your nanny and children in a Family Harbor cabin. That way when you and your wife needed some adult together time the Havana pool would be available, and when it was family time the 4/5 of you could explore and enjoy other parts of the ship.

The thermal suite on the Breeze/Magic is very nice, but again its something that your children would not be able to join you.

DH and I are sailing on the Vista in three weeks, and I am trying to make it as special and "upscale" as possible as it is to celebrate a milestone Birthday. I realize that Carnival is not an upscale line, but the things I have already booked or plan on booking to ensure its "special" are:

A Havana Cabana Suite (Not bragging, just a fact)

Thermal Suite passes

Dinner at Fahrenheit 555 (Steakhouse) the first night

Reservations for the Chefs Table

A couple of visits to the spa for treatments

IMAX theater, appealing movie selection permitting

Thrill theater, again depends on movie selection

Hope you find the right ship/cruise for you and your family.

i'm going to go with... either change your expectations, or change your cruise line.

I've cruised in suits with Royal, HAL, and Carnival, and you get exactly what you pay for. The suites on carnival (GS and OS) offer very limited additional amenities that are really worth the increase in price. Really, you get priority boarding (and honestly, that's not a huge deal) and a bathtub and a little more extra space. It's not like HAL with the butler/concierge service or Royal with the designated deck space.

As for the speciality dining, it's not like royal where you can pay 120 a person and get access to five of the speciality dining restaurants (there are only a small handful of speciality dining restaurants on carnival anyway). It's also not like HAL or royal where there is suite dining or suite-breakfast (which was my favorite on HAL).

As for splitting up between an ocean view and a suite... you're looking at having your kids in an entirely separate area of the ship; I don't know if I'd be comfortable having my kids that far away, even if with a nanny.

The bottom line is, there is no premium experience on Carnival. It's a fun family line. It's just like Royal, but Royal has a better suite program (which I know has just been revamped and the price has skyrocketed to reflect the higher amenities, I'm talking pre-upgrade royal, I haven't yet cruised in the new suite program).

Hello,

I think you stated that you are looking at the Breeze. If so, in addition to Chef's Table and steakhouse (worthy of 2 meals IMHO), a meal at Cucinia is also slower paced and a different quality than the MDR (the steak was delicious but I was not impressed with the seafood pasta or the risoto balls). Bonsai sushi is also cute and has some interesting flavors to offer. If you enjoy high dollar liquors and wines, the Cheers package would be cost-effective.

If you "must have" high dollar accommodations and eats, as others have said, Carnival is not the line for you. On longer cruises (6-7 day minimum), we have found there to be a less "party atmosphere" and our kids love it; we will not take them on the short cruises because it is just over the top party (drunk people, hall parties etc).

Carnival is a far cry from elegant (don't expect even a coat and tie on "elegant" evening) and on such nights a sundress is more than appropriate. On casual evenings, you will find men in shorts and jeans in the MDR, baseball hats on heads, and much to my dismay, tufts of male arm pit hair billowing from a tank top that was allowed in. You can certainly take full advantage of the spa and your suite balcony, but that isn't going to change the overall feel of this very casual, amusement park atmosphere. For clientele comparison purposes, Princess is T@rget, Carnival is Wally-World. So if you can go with the flow, have a laid back, simple family-fun vacation, you can have a great time.

We chose Carnival for this reason - it allows us to vacation not just once a year, but several times, and that is what is important to us. Sometimes that means turning away from armpit hair, ignoring line-cutting or someone rudely demanding XY or Z, etc. It is still a great time and we haven't had a bad cruise yet!

Again, thanks to all for the candid and informative replies.

For anyone who is interested, we ultimately decided to sail on the Royal Caribbean ship, Liberty of the Seas. We were able to get a royal family suite for not too much more than the two separate rooms were going to be on the Breeze, and I think we will all have a very nice time.

Happy cruising!