Gratuities and fare structure

tassie cruiser

I wish there was a "like" button, Gut2407 if there was I certainly would have liked your comment. :p

Thank you.

Whenever anyone suggests that tips be included in the fare about 100 people pile on explaining how it will be the end of the world, when it's pointed out that the "Carnival family of line's" has been doing it here for years, no one can explain why it can't work elsewhere, now the "RCI family" join the club I guess we will see if cruising dies in Aus.

Somehow I doubt it.

Thank you.

Whenever anyone suggests that tips be included in the fare about 100 people pile on explaining how it will be the end of the world, when it's pointed out that the "Carnival family of line's" has been doing it here for years, no one can explain why it can't work elsewhere, now the "RCI family" join the club I guess we will see if cruising dies in Aus.

Somehow I doubt it.

Thinking about the time difference, Just wait for all the US to wake up and read what has happened while they were snoozing. :-)

Edited by tassie cruiser

Great news - I am from a non-tipping culture but I agree with this move; would much rather pay an all inclusive fare knowing basic grats are covered. Just wondering now what perk will CEL give for Go Best in place of gratuities or will they just tweak the promo.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Great news - I am from a non-tipping culture but I agree with this move; would much rather pay an all inclusive fare knowing basic grats are covered. Just wondering now what perk will CEL give for Go Best in place of gratuities or will they just tweak the promo.

My idea of a good tweak would be extending it to solo inside cabin travellers like me. [emoji854] I want that drinks package but not at the oceanview price!! [emoji6]

There's an old saying along the lines of be careful of which you wish for as you may just get it.

This may be one of those instances

Now that the norm in the Ausie market is to include the gratuities with the cruise price for all the cruise lines, it will be so much easier from a competitive position to increase pricing and/or increase cutbacks to cover these costs.

None of us should imagine for a moment the cruise lines will take decreased profits, rather they will use this as a strategy to increase prices in excess of their increased costs.

Only time will tell but I suspect well within a year cruise prices will have increased in this Market, and by significantly more than the cost of the gratuities

But the good news is that the staff will not have to worry about gratuities being removed for a "cultural" reason.

Edited by WpgCruise

This was almost inevitable and Celebrity actually has a precedent for it. Several years ago when the Eclipse was launched it was homeported in England. The first year the brits were complaining about the gratuity added on to the drinks purchased on board. Due to all the complaints the second year they rolled the gratuity price into the drink. Price was the same with the grat but no more complaints

Didn't see any mention of what they are doing with the drinks.

Edited by dkjretired

I think this is great news. I only hope they do it fleet wide regardless of departure country.

We always pre-pay our tips up front with our fare. Who wants to see that daily charge show up on your account while on vacation. It's a cost of cruising to us and we don't mind paying it. We usually tip extra to our room attendant and waiters at dinner as well.

And of course cruise prices are going to go up - like someone up thread says, probably about $13 bucks a day per person.

I think it is, for sure and cannot wait for it to roll out fleet wide. As I have read here and witnessed in some quarters, there are individuals who bask in the knowledge that they can reverse gratuities before or at cruise end.

Now there will be nothing to reverse only give additional if they think it is warranted!

bon voyage

This was almost inevitable and Celebrity actually has a precedent for it. Several years ago when the Eclipse was launched it was homeported in England. The first year the brits were complaining about the gratuity added on to the drinks purchased on board. Due to all the complaints the second year they rolled the gratuity price into the drink. Price was the same with the grat but no more complaints

Didn't see any mention of what they are doing with the drinks.

This drives me nuts, just got back from time in USA and the price you see is not the price you pay.

why cannot the ticket price include the tax? i don't need to know how much tax i'm paying when i cannot change it.

the ticket price is generally a nice round number

eg $3

then i have to scrabble around for some small change like 13c

or 67c etc.

why not have a round number including the tax?

I agree and think it is a fantastic solution to it. Good job Celebrity. Wonder how long it will take to do this with cruises booked in the UK.

Since we always pay the recommended tips - without complaining - I am OK with making this a standard practice everywhere. Makes no difference to me if it is included in the fare or added to my account. I pay it anyway because I want to be fair to the crew, not save money for myself at their expense.

Edited by sloopsailor

There's an old saying along the lines of be careful of which you wish for as you may just get it.

Only time will tell but I suspect well within a year cruise prices will have increased in this Market, and by significantly more than the cost of the gratuities

I was thinking the same thing. Just hope the quality of service would not decline, since everything is prepaid and no incentives to do a good job.

I was thinking the same thing. Just hope the quality of service would not decline, since everything is prepaid and no incentives to do a good job.

No idea why you'd think that Princess have been doing it for years with no real impact on pricing.

In fact next week I leave on a cruise, it is almost identical to our first cruise, (15 years ago near on) first cruise they added $11.95 pp pd, this cruise they won't. This cruise is costing $150 each less than that first one, AND we are getting an extra $275 ea OBC, so I think that does away with the allegation that prices will go through the roof.

Keep in mind that this is only for certain departure points.

Australian passengers who come to Alaska or the Caribbean or Europe to cruise must be prepared to see the existing system still in place on those cruises.

Just as the British and others who come to Alaska or the Caribbean or Europe departures not out of Southampton see drinks prices that do not include the gratuity, with the tip added as a line item. Sailing out of Southampton the price of the drink is inflated to include the gratuity. The total comes out the same, and it's just something to be aware of.

Edited by cruisestitch

Well, that's certainly one way to prevent people from removing the tips simply because "it's not our culture". :D

Where in that announcement did it say that a person can not request the gratuities be removed once on-board? Adding them into the price for booking is not the same as saying they are non-refundable by request. So this still leaves that issue open.

I like it that the gratuities are included. However, if they are refundable by request, then I predict the lines at guest services will unfortunately be longer.

No idea why you'd think that Princess have been doing it for years with no real impact on pricing.

In fact next week I leave on a cruise, it is almost identical to our first cruise, (15 years ago near on) first cruise they added $11.95 pp pd, this cruise they won't. This cruise is costing $150 each less than that first one, AND we are getting an extra $275 ea OBC, so I think that does away with the allegation that prices will go through the roof.

Well I almost guarantee that the service and food will NOT be the same as 15 years ago. They have to cut corners someplace, and that is where it will be. Do you honestly believe that prices have gone down over the years?

As a non tipping culture and with the ships being based in Australian waters, about time.

I have no issues paying gratuities when I am in the US and always do, just don't expect or want that culture in my back yard.

Well here in the US we believe that certain service oriented positions make out better, because excellent service is rewarded handsomely. That is our custom. It generally works well until people from a different culture, instead of honoring our customs come over here and insist that their way is the only way, and disrespect our customs. Because you see, we believe in rewarding people who go above and beyond (rather than just coast and do their jobs only well enough to keep the job). Also, if it is such an embarrassment, then you would politely decline taking a tip. I bet that doesn't happen very often, which would lead one to suspect that your culture is somewhat passive aggressive. NOW OUR CULTURE IS TO BE STRAIGHT FORWARD. Have a friggin good day. :)

Well said. I'll bet that at the end of the day, service people in the US earn more with tips included than with the "take care of our people" system they use. That system prevents people from being rewarded extra for better service levels than the "do the minimum I can get away with since I get paid the same" personnel. Some of the worst service I have ever received is in those countries - rude, slow and with surly attitudes.

Why try harder when you won't get a penny extra for the effort? :rolleyes:

Their system is not superior to ours - it is only different.

Edited by sloopsailor

As a non tipping culture and with the ships being based in Australian waters, about time.

I have no issues paying gratuities when I am in the US and always do, just don't expect or want that culture in my back yard.

I have no problem with that, as long as you accept that we don't expect or want your culture in our backyard either when you come here or cruise on US owned ships. Whenever I travel I make an effort to honor the culture of the places I visit, and do not impose my own on them. After all, isn't experiencing cultural differences what travelling is all about?

Edited by SantaFeFan

Well I almost guarantee that the service and food will NOT be the same as 15 years ago. They have to cut corners someplace, and that is where it will be. Do you honestly believe that prices have gone down over the years?

Well it's not the first cruise I've done in that 15 years and I haven't seen a noticeable drop in either service or food, in fact I'd say service has probably increased slightly and I don't have to put up with all the hints that they want tips.