Confused: Balcony or GTY Balcony

Hoosier1439

Hello all! Was tooling around NCL.com and found in Apr 2017 NYC to Bermuda the GTY Balcony is a few hundred dollars MORE than a Balcony. I thought when booking a GTY you were saving money but risking a bad view or bad location. Why would a GTY be more than a regular?

Thanks!

Hello all! Was tooling around NCL.com and found in Apr 2017 NYC to Bermuda the GTY Balcony is a few hundred dollars MORE than a Balcony. I thought when booking a GTY you were saving money but risking a bad view or bad location. Why would a GTY be more than a regular?

Thanks!

The entire Gty thing gets confusing. On our January 20 sailing on Celebrity all three CC categories are shown as Gty. Does that mean they are sold out? Then why wouldn't they say that category is sold out? Why wouldn't the lowest of the three categories be gty but the other two show what cabins are available?

Thanks!

That is a mystery. We booked a guarantee balcony on Getaway TA April 17th and saved over $800 by giving up choice and the "free" UBP. Just got our cabin assignment (abalconies SOLD OUT) and scored a large family balcony, deck 12. That's what I've experienced on every GTY so far. They may be trying to sell out more balconies to later upsell, depending on unsold minis or ? If I wanted to go on that cruise, I'd book the nicest balcony for the price and be aware that you might get an upgrade or upsell offer closer to debark date. Good luck and happy cruising!:D:D

That is a mystery ... If I wanted to go on that cruise, I'd book the nicest balcony for the price and be aware that you might get an upgrade or upsell offer closer to debark date. Good luck and happy cruising!:D:D

Hmmm, you scored a large family balcony, deck 12 - which would be a nice one to keep ... instead of trading/paying more in (bidding) upsell to a mini - where you might end up likely with a standard (thus, smaller) balcony but gain a larger bathroom - right ?? The extra sitting/usable space around the sofa/day bed area is marginal and might not be a big deal if there's only 2 of you sailing.

I mentioned this on another posts - that I find it somewhat strange that NCL is offering some fairly reasonable prices for sailing Bermuda in April/May 2017 so early, both out of NYC and BOS ... and, not quite at final payment cutoff deadline yet.

The entire Gty thing gets confusing. On our January 20 sailing on Celebrity all three CC categories are shown as Gty. Does that mean they are sold out? Then why wouldn't they say that category is sold out? Why wouldn't the lowest of the three categories be gty but the other two show what cabins are available?

Update. CC class IS completely sold out. As are all balconies.

I quite agree on keeping our cabin; we're delighted and I've heard that with upsells you take what they give you. If I was starting right now, with no cabin and wanting to be on THAT cruise, my strategy would stay...pick a cabin that I can live with but be aware of opportunities.

Pricing is based on how things are selling and I suspect a lot of it is automated, like airlines. I've seen sailings were oceanviews were more expensive than balconies, which I would take to mean that they were almost out of oceanviews but has plenty of balconies left. GTY is usually cheaper than choosing a room, but it wouldn't surprise me that if GTYs were priced well and selling that the algorithms could overreact and raise the price too high.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks!

i saw this too. and other cabins are available and not sold out.

even on my trip next week i have been pricing daily and even when some balconies were avaliable, the OV and insides were more. told my friend NCL is forcing me not to take an inside. out of my control!

Wow, that is odd--choosing your own cabin is less $.

Keep in mind that in April it's still cool in Bermuda--so rates can be lower due to not being in season in Bermuda.

I prefer to choose my own cabin. I wouldn't want to end up above Fat Cats, or under the pool deck and that is a chance you take with a guaranty category.

Also, for two people I would not pay more for a mini-suite as the increase in space is really not noticeable except in the bathroom. On Breakaway class this is.

Edited by mizLORInj