Grand injured

PonyPair

I would like to thank the CC people who posted these maps while we were at sea and getting little information. Since they turned off the navigation TV channel we had no idea where we were for the rest of the cruise.

Thank you

Diana

Interesting name-photo. Must be a heck of a storm to cause that much roll! :p

Tom

The drydock they are going to had to reschedule 2 ships to get them in. It really causes headaches for companies and I'll bet it cost a lot for 2 extra days but I believe they may be out early. We worked in logistics and it was amazing how much they can move and get done on ships and aircraft.

The drydock they are going to had to reschedule 2 ships to get them in. It really causes headaches for companies and I'll bet it cost a lot for 2 extra days but I believe they may be out early. We worked in logistics and it was amazing how much they can move and get done on ships and aircraft.

Who told you that and which ships?

They might had to reschedule 2 ships which were in line to get into Dry Dock after the Grand - but the spot from the 10th to 18th of December was originally booked - not that the ship had to be suddenly squeezed in.

A 8 day dry dock is already more than short for just the engine part, waterblasting, anodes and painting.

And the weather forecast does not look that good for painting the hull.

Using your figures, if the total price of the cruise is $2200 and $700 of that amount represents port charges, taxes and fees, the refund is going to be 50% of $1500.

Someone who sailed in an inside stateroom is going to receive a smaller percentage of the total fare refunded than someone who cruised in the top suite because the $700 in taxes/fees is the same regardless of category sailed.

Not sure if this cruise will be reimbursed like ours was last year after the ship fire (on the Grand), but here is how they compensated us. A few things were different, though, as we stopped in Honolulu for 2 days/nights (for repairs) and for 4 hrs in Ensenada, but missed Hilo, Kauai, and Maui. And we were told that the cruiseline's insurance carrier decided and paid the compensation.

We got 100% of our cruise fare reimbursed, including the $100 FCC we each paid as the cruise deposit. Even though I paid by credit card, I was reimbursed by a check in the mail (which I nearly threw out as it looked like junk mail! :eek:).

We got 50% of our cruise fare as a credit toward another cruise (to be booked within a year), which was added to the Princess cruise personalizer.

We also got $200 OBC to be used on the ship, but was given back as cash if not used during the cruise.

We felt very blessed as we were sailing in a full suite so the compensation was wonderful! :D

Not sure if this cruise will be reimbursed like ours was last year after the ship fire (on the Grand), but here is how they compensated us. A few things were different, though, as we stopped in Honolulu for 2 days/nights (for repairs) and for 4 hrs in Ensenada, but missed Hilo, Kauai, and Maui. And we were told that the cruiseline's insurance carrier decided and paid the compensation.

We got 100% of our cruise fare reimbursed, including the $100 FCC we each paid as the cruise deposit. Even though I paid by credit card, I was reimbursed by a check in the mail (which I nearly threw out as it looked like junk mail! :eek:).

We got 50% of our cruise fare as a credit toward another cruise (to be booked within a year), which was added to the Princess cruise personalizer.

We also got $200 OBC to be used on the ship, but was given back as cash if not used during the cruise.

We felt very blessed as we were sailing in a full suite so the compensation was wonderful! :D

I think Princess has already released what the passengers will be compensated for this cruise.

Major U.S. travel/hospitality corporations - like the one I work for and the ones I have worked for - all have business interruption insurance. Too many circumstances outside of the corporation's control can result in lost revenue and profits. And with the fixed costs continuing whether or not they are open for business and serving guests the consequences to quarterly earnings, and thus stock price, are to great not to have it.

Wish that my wife and I had been on this cruise. The compensation offered for missing a few sea day and the port of Ensenada (bleh...) is awesome. The sea days were mostly compensated by the slow return to Hawaii and missing Ensenada is certainly no hardship. The compensation is awesome. :)

Wish that my wife and I had been on this cruise. The compensation offered for missing a few sea day and the port of Ensenada (bleh...) is awesome. The sea days were mostly compensated by the slow return to Hawaii and missing Ensenada is certainly no hardship. The compensation is awesome. :)

My DW and I said the same thing about the Grand engine fire, we were on the cruise before it.

My husband left the UK this morning to go and meet the ship for dry dock. In a purely selfish way, the issue with the platform gave us an extra few days together as he was meant to leave on Wednesday after only returning from another ship last Saturday. However, now he has the same amount of work to do in less time, so it's going to be busy busy for him!

He was meant to be returning on the 20th, but I think now it might be the 23rd. He's been doing this work around 9 years, and this will the closest to Christmas day that he's come home, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it all goes to plan! I know he will work day and night to get done on time if he can :)

My husband left the UK this morning to go and meet the ship for dry dock. In a purely selfish way, the issue with the platform gave us an extra few days together as he was meant to leave on Wednesday after only returning from another ship last Saturday. However, now he has the same amount of work to do in less time, so it's going to be busy busy for him!

He was meant to be returning on the 20th, but I think now it might be the 23rd. He's been doing this work around 9 years, and this will the closest to Christmas day that he's come home, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it all goes to plan! I know he will work day and night to get done on time if he can :)

They have extended the dry dock two additional calendar days, which now gives them the full amount of time originally scheduled. It had 8 days in drydock before, and it still has 8 days now.

Edited by SantaFeFan

They have extended the dry dock two additional calendar days, which now gives them the full amount of time originally scheduled. It had 8 days in drydock before, and it still has 8 days now.

Aim1 and her husband Drydock Dave know something about a shipyard schedule.

Anyway, because two other ships following the Grand were impacted, this requires the shipyard to remit penalty payments to those companies, so there will be pressure from the shipyard to get the ship out of drydock as quickly as possible. Not sure which end of the team Dave is on, technical or hotel, but that can affect whether work gets done or not. Some work is mandatory on the technical side, and some is time sensitive like painting the bottom, but things like painting topsides could be deferred, and certainly anything that does not require the ship to be physically in drydock can be deferred.

There can also be time problems caused by the ship coming from Hawaii. When the ship was leaving from SF to go to Portland, the departure time was set by when the ship needed to be ready to go "on the blocks", based on tides and the desire to get on the blocks first thing in the morning. Coming over a thousand miles from Hawaii may have some weather delays, or just simple time constraints, that would preclude entering the drydock immediately.

In any case, even with an identical number of days as the original time slot, the work will be rushed.

Aim1 and her husband Drydock Dave know something about a shipyard schedule.

Anyway, because two other ships following the Grand were impacted, this requires the shipyard to remit penalty payments to those companies, so there will be pressure from the shipyard to get the ship out of drydock as quickly as possible. Not sure which end of the team Dave is on, technical or hotel, but that can affect whether work gets done or not. Some work is mandatory on the technical side, and some is time sensitive like painting the bottom, but things like painting topsides could be deferred, and certainly anything that does not require the ship to be physically in drydock can be deferred.

There can also be time problems caused by the ship coming from Hawaii. When the ship was leaving from SF to go to Portland, the departure time was set by when the ship needed to be ready to go "on the blocks", based on tides and the desire to get on the blocks first thing in the morning. Coming over a thousand miles from Hawaii may have some weather delays, or just simple time constraints, that would preclude entering the drydock immediately.

In any case, even with an identical number of days as the original time slot, the work will be rushed.

From memory, he was originally flying to San Francisco on Wednesday, so guessing he would have joined there and started work whilst the ship sailed to Portland. Sorry, I get a little confused with where he's going and where the ships will be, I just make sure I pay lots of attention to his arrival date, time and terminal at London Heathrow so I can be there to get him when he comes home! :o

From memory, he was originally flying to San Francisco on Wednesday, so guessing he would have joined there and started work whilst the ship sailed to Portland. Sorry, I get a little confused with where he's going and where the ships will be, I just make sure I pay lots of attention to his arrival date, time and terminal at London Heathrow so I can be there to get him when he comes home! :o

Yes, its about 36 hours from San Francisco to Portland, and if they were embarking him in SF, then they were planning on starting work on the transit, so because they couldn't get him flown out to the Grand in the middle of the Pacific, he loses 2 days of work time.

Hi Cruise Raider,

This is amazing news to me! I have been paying enormous amounts for first class tickets. I really wish we had talked about this on the cruise we shared last December to the Mexican Riviera. I am totally trying this on our next flight. Mucho Gracias

Hey....good to hear from you again!!

And yes... I learned about doing this on these boards. When not sailing out of SF, I use this trick. It has been a lifesaver because otherwise, my DH just doesn't want to go.

First class is the best but this is so much cheaper and it makes flying so tolerable. :D