Sydney hotels and walking to port - logistics

Hi Everybody, we are cruising from Sydney in February on Explorer of the Seas. I believe we will depart from the Internation Passenger Terminal and are therefore looking at hotels around Circular Quay for convenience to the port on the day of departure. Pullman Quay Grand or the Four Seasons seem the best bets for us at the moment but would welcome any other recommendations.

We are however travelling with two young children and will be in the middle of a 10 week trip so will have quite a lot of luggage.

We may struggle to walk to the port with all our luggage and the kids in one trip - is it possible to drop luggage off twice - i.e. my husband does a run with some luggage to begin with and then we all go the second time with the rest?

If we all have to go together with the luggage - airport style, I imagine it will be difficult to get a taxi to take us such a short distance - any experience?

We stayed at Menzies hotel, took the train from Sydney Airport when we arrived the hotel is across the street from the station, it is a 10 minute walk to the cruise terminal but the Hotel is cheaper than those overlooking the cruise terminal and port where the ferries leave and return, we were there two days prior to our cruise and walked to the Front where the opera house is a few times, Sydney layout is quite small when it comes to sightseeing and we took a taxi on embarkation day which was better will our luggage, I recall the embarkation was quite well organized.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

What I did was apply and get a HIE credit card (Holiday Inn Express) with that I got 60,000 free points - used those points for Two nights at Holiday Inn in the Rocks / circular quay. _3 min walk to the ship

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We stayed at Menzies hotel, took the train from Sydney Airport when we arrived the hotel is across the street from the station, it is a 10 minute walk to the cruise terminal but the Hotel is cheaper than those overlooking the cruise terminal and port where the ferries leave and return, we were there two days prior to our cruise and walked to the Front where the opera house is a few times, Sydney layout is quite small when it comes to sightseeing and we took a taxi on embarkation day which was better will our luggage, I recall the embarkation was quite well organized.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The Menzies closed in November.

Hi Everybody, we are cruising from Sydney in February on Explorer of the Seas. I believe we will depart from the Internation Passenger Terminal and are therefore looking at hotels around Circular Quay for convenience to the port on the day of departure. Pullman Quay Grand or the Four Seasons seem the best bets for us at the moment but would welcome any other recommendations.

We are however travelling with two young children and will be in the middle of a 10 week trip so will have quite a lot of luggage.

We may struggle to walk to the port with all our luggage and the kids in one trip - is it possible to drop luggage off twice - i.e. my husband does a run with some luggage to begin with and then we all go the second time with the rest?

If we all have to go together with the luggage - airport style, I imagine it will be difficult to get a taxi to take us such a short distance - any experience?

Four Seasons hotel is great and well within walking distance even with luggage. How old are the kids? Will they have strollers?

We did it last year, 2 adults - one wheelchair, 2 hand luggage bags and 2 suitcases. One of the hotel porters offered to wheel our luggage down to the OPT using one of the hotel's wheelie luggage things, so maybe if you approach them and tell them that you'd love some help, I'm sure they'd help.

We've stayed at the Four Seasons several times Pre-cruise (and several times no-cruise), in fact we've pretty much stayed at them all pre-cruise (four seasons, shangri-la, marriott, intercontinental, sir stamford etc etc). The Four Seasons we find the easiest to commute to the terminal only about 5-7mins walk (hence the repeat stays). It's also a beautiful hotel, nice executive club, and nice pool area.

Just out of interest, we are trying another new one in a couple of weeks pre-cruise - "The Rendezvous, circular quay". We thought we would give it a go for a change as its a couple of minutes closer. Won't recommend it as yet, as not stayed there yet. But I do know there is no restaurant there - ie for breakfast.

Hi Folks

We have just taken the plunge and booked the Sir Stamford prior to our 4th March Cruise on Explorer

The new work they have done on the OPT has improved the procedure greatly

WARNING for GRAHAM !!!! we will be back !

Best Regards

John

Hi Folks

We have just taken the plunge and booked the Sir Stamford prior to our 4th March Cruise on Explorer

The new work they have done on the OPT has improved the procedure greatly

WARNING for GRAHAM !!!! we will be back !

Best Regards

John

To see if he can get it right?:confused::cool::eek:

Thanks everybody - I think we are going to go with the Four Seasons as it does look lovely and do a few runs with luggage in the morning.

We'll have flown in from NZ the night before and with the time difference and two small children we'll probably be awake to see the ship arrive :)

Thanks everybody - I think we are going to go with the Four Seasons as it does look lovely and do a few runs with luggage in the morning.

We'll have flown in from NZ the night before and with the time difference and two small children we'll probably be awake to see the ship arrive :)

That is always good to see the ship coming in, knowing that you will be on it just a few hours later..:D