Bring back Luggage Valet, EZ Check, Luggage Direct

luv4cruises

I am very disappointed that Celebrity has CHOSEN to discontinue the luggage valet program. Celebrity has always had "problems" handling it especially when it comes to working with Southwesr Airlines.

I have had to petition guest relations on previous Celebrity cruises to work with Southwest. Thanks to Damien Brown on the Eclipse we were able to use Luggage Valet with Southwest in the past. ! Now there won't be any opportunity to use Luggage Valet with any airline on Celebriy.

I am recently off the Regal Princess and EZ Check worked beautifully for us and our traveling companions,

Kudos to Princess!

In the past few years I have cruised on Celebrity, RCI, HAL and Princess.

All have carried their programs out efficiently and much to the pleasure of their guests.

Even the Oasis and the Allure with over 6000 on board were able to carry out their Luggage Direct or whatever they call it without a glitch. We were so pleased with how they handled it!

I wrote to Celebrity Customer Service and received an unacceptable form letter in reply.

Ignore the problem instead do addressing it seems to be Celebrity's way of addressing this matter.

Celebrity is just making excuses to not go the extra distance that other cruise lines are doing to serve their guests.

We love EZ check etc. so do our raveling companions. it helps us end our cruise on a very positive, hassle free way.

Celebrity needs to reinstate this program and stop making excuses as to why they do not have a program that works so well on most other mass market cruise lines, including the big ships of their parent company RCI.

I whole heartedly agree and have also called and written. I'm looking forward to my cruise next week, but am dreading the ending as it will be our first since the demise of Luggage Valet. I clearly remember the days before Luggage Valet when we disembarked with a cattle herd of disgruntled, harried fellow passengers into a vast luggage corral, then into a snaking line through customs, then another at the airport to check in and check luggage. It seems like X is saying "we've had enough of you, get off and leave us alone...Modern Luxury is over."

Edited by Luvcrusn

I whole heartedly agree and have also called and written. I'm looking forward to my cruise next week, but am dreading the ending as it will be our first since the demise of Luggage Valet. I clearly remember the days before Luggage Valet when we disembarked with a cattle herd of disgruntled, harried fellow passengers into a vast luggage corral, then into a snaking line through customs, then another at the airport to check in and check luggage. It seems like X is saying "we've had enough of you, get off and leave us alone...Modern Luxury is over."

Say Hi to Damien Brown for Roseann if he is still in Guest Relations. He was still there last April. He will remember me as the one always pleading for Celebrity to work with Southwest.

I love the Eclipse and her itinerary. Enjoy- try not to think about disembarkation day! Do offer your opinion in writing while on board.

You will at least get a plate of chocolate covered strawberries and a note explaining why they cannot offer luggage valet. They will probably blame the airline as they did with us.

Happy cruising!

We too would REALLY like to see Celebrity re-instate the luggage valet service. We used this service every time and in every port where it was available.

We have now cruised on Regent twice and really love not having to drag multiple suitcases through airports. We liked this same convenience when cruising wiith Celebrity but no longer. The lack of the luggage valet was one of many reasons that we switched to Regent. In today's market Regent is much more dedicated to the concept of insuring that their guests have the best experience possible starting from the time one gets on the ground at the airport initially and extending until one returns to their home airport. Celebrity used to be much more like this when we first starting cruising with them some ten to twelve years ago but no longer.:mad::mad:

Another request to please, PLEASE bring back luggage valet!

I wrote, emailed and called Celebrity earlier this fall and was under the impression they were re-visiting the decision.

Might have just been the rep's way to appease me. :(

While I like the idea of the luggage valet we have not used them. It sounds like a great system.

We try and travel with less luggage. We did 14 day in England. 6 different hotels, 3 train rides. We had 1 suitcase and 2 backpacks.

Our next cruise is 12 nights with 5 days in Hong Kong before and 5 days after in Shanghai. We are taking 1 suitcase, 1 backpack each. While we do get checked bags weight limit is 70 lbs each. We put about 50 lbs or less in each. You have to have room for shopping.

Celebrity discontinuing the Luggage Valet program was very disappointing to us as we have mobility issues.:( After contacting Celebrity and getting the standard management issued responses, we cancelled our Celebrity cruise and rebooked for the same date with Princess:). Celebrity has lost our business as we will not jeopardize our well being because they are too lazy to run a program properly. Princess, Royal Caribbean and other lines have no problem.....Celebrity just does not want to be bothered so we in turn do not to give our business to them;)

Celebrity discontinuing the Luggage Valet program was very disappointing to us as we have mobility issues.:( After contacting Celebrity and getting the standard management issued responses, we cancelled our Celebrity cruise and rebooked for the same date with Princess:). Celebrity has lost our business as we will not jeopardize our well being because they are too lazy to run a program properly. Princess, Royal Caribbean and other lines have no problem.....Celebrity just does not want to be bothered so we in turn do not to give our business to them;)

Surprised RCCL still uses it as they own Celebrity.

I am very disappointed that Celebrity has CHOSEN to discontinue the luggage valet program. Celebrity has always had "problems" handling it especially when it comes to working with Southwesr Airlines.

I have had to petition guest relations on previous Celebrity cruises to work with Southwest. Thanks to Damien Brown on the Eclipse we were able to use Luggage Valet with Southwest in the past. ! Now there won't be any opportunity to use Luggage Valet with any airline on Celebriy.

I am recently off the Regal Princess and EZ Check worked beautifully for us and our traveling companions,

Kudos to Princess!

In the past few years I have cruised on Celebrity, RCI, HAL and Princess.

All have carried their programs out efficiently and much to the pleasure of their guests.

Even the Oasis and the Allure with over 6000 on board were able to carry out their Luggage Direct or whatever they call it without a glitch. We were so pleased with how they handled it!

I wrote to Celebrity Customer Service and received an unacceptable form letter in reply.

Ignore the problem instead do addressing it seems to be Celebrity's way of addressing this matter.

Celebrity is just making excuses to not go the extra distance that other cruise lines are doing to serve their guests.

We love EZ check etc. so do our raveling companions. it helps us end our cruise on a very positive, hassle free way.

Celebrity needs to reinstate this program and stop making excuses as to why they do not have a program that works so well on most other mass market cruise lines, including the big ships of their parent company RCI.

We loved it the times we did it on Cunard & Celebrity. We did Princess last Feb. We couldn't use Luggage Valet then, as we were too close to our departure flight. We hope it's back in place on the Eclipse this Jan. If not we MIGHT start using Princess more often. It really is that good. So much less hassle, especially if you pack a lot as some of us do.

Edited by keithm
correction

Surprised RCCL still uses it as they own Celebrity.

That was my exact point when I wrote X TWICE and got no respond.

First time I wrote, they contacted me with " corporate decision" answer.

When I wrote them again and asked to explain why the parent company provide the service and X is not - I got no respond - it must very hard to explain the reasoning. I am going on Equinox this week and will try to find out from GR manager -I don't have high hopes, but see what they have to say and after the cruise I will email to Ms. Lisa....

Recent reply to my request for consideration to reinstate Luggage Valet. Disappointing.

Dear Mrs. B:

Thank you for contacting Celebrity Cruises. We are delighted that you are considering sailing with our cruise line. Please accept our apologies that we were unable to respond to you as quickly as we had hoped. You have my gratitude for patiently awaiting our reply.

Thank you for your feedback regarding our cruise line’s recent discontinuation of the Luggage Valet program. I am very sorry for the disappointment this has caused. Kindly note that this was a carefully made business decision that stemmed from the program’s logistical challenges and limited popularity. Although there are no current plans to reinstate this luggage service, some airports and other independent companies do offer similar transport options. As such, I recommend pursuing one of those options should you desire such assistance.

Mrs. B, again thank you for choosing Celebrity Cruises. We look forward to welcoming you and Mr. B back aboard in the near future.

Sincerely,

Kara Frank

Celebrity Cruises

Recent reply to my request for consideration to reinstate Luggage Valet. Disappointing.

Dear Mrs. B:

Thank you for contacting Celebrity Cruises. We are delighted that you are considering sailing with our cruise line. Please accept our apologies that we were unable to respond to you as quickly as we had hoped. You have my gratitude for patiently awaiting our reply.

Thank you for your feedback regarding our cruise line’s recent discontinuation of the Luggage Valet program. I am very sorry for the disappointment this has caused. Kindly note that this was a carefully made business decision that stemmed from the program’s logistical challenges and limited popularity. Although there are no current plans to reinstate this luggage service, some airports and other independent companies do offer similar transport options. As such, I recommend pursuing one of those options should you desire such assistance.

Mrs. B, again thank you for choosing Celebrity Cruises. We look forward to welcoming you and Mr. B back aboard in the near future.

Sincerely,

Kara Frank

Celebrity Cruises

That's disappointing. I got a similar response via a phone call from one of their customer service reps. He called back in a very timely manner from when I wrote in with my concerns about canceling this program. He was also extremely friendly and gave us pretty much the same answer .... limited popularity. While I question that answer, I do say that the personal call was more than I had anticipated ... so that went a long way in my book.

I think more than the limited popularity, and I did bring this up in my conversation with that same Celebrity representative, much of their decision to cancel of this program had to do with the luggage weight restrictions. It was posted all over here on these boards that you could pack your luggage as heavy as you'd like ... nobody ever checked. Who ended up paying for that in the long run?? Did the airlines eat the cost of all that overweight luggage? Was it the Celebrity itself? It surely wasn't the passengers. My guess is that it is the cruiseline (but could have been the airlines?? just not sure) ... but he could neither or confirm or deny my theory making me think he was confirming it may have been the cruiseline. I've always thought you can get your best answer by following the money. Think about charging a passenger just $20 for not only check in with your airline but also for 2 bags to be taken through. Those two bags alone might have incurred a $50 - $100 fee for being overweight. It is simply not profitable or feasible for them to continue with this program. Not sure, though, why other cruiselines are still offering it unless they collect the overweight luggage fees from you after the fact.

Anyhow, the answer you received was pretty much the same as what I had gotten, albeit, mine being made via a personal phone call. I don't think it will be coming back to Celebrity and that is too bad. I really loved that service and disappointed that it was discontinued.

BTW -- I always brought my luggage scale to make sure I stayed within my weight limitations just so this service wouldn't be discontinued. But I can tell by the many posts prior to the elimination of this program, many many others did not take this into consideration. I see it all the time on here ... people bragging about what they can get away with and poof ... there goes another service that we all loved .... but gone for the wrong reasons. :(

some airports and other independent companies do offer similar transport options [/i]

I have been searching for these independent companies that offer similar options for months now (ever since I received the same form letter) and have been unable to find them.

If anyone knows who they are, please share!

I would suspect there are a litany of reasons why several cruise lines discontinued the program (we were just on the NCL Getaway and was advised that NCL no longer participates)...I am sure the loss of the airlines to collect excess baggage revenue is one factor...in light of the recent uptick in terrorist activities TSA has probably been the major factor (baggage is out of your control from the night before when you place your bag . outside your cabin until you claim it in your home city(too many strangers can have access to your bag)...another factor is with the introduction of mega ships the number of bags has probably overwhelmed both the cruise line terminal turnaround logistics and the airlines plane side baggage system which would have resulted in a later cut off time (3 pm bank vs 1 pm Bank), which would preclude even more guest from using the program

I am always fascinated of both the number & size of bags that some cruisers pack for a 7 day Caribbean cruise as compared to international cruisers where excess baggage weight is more closely monitored...I would support that the cruise line should work with the port authority sub contractors to provide more staff to assist guests (senior citizens, ADA) as they are disembarking the ship (where you insert your S&S card to leave the ship) instead of waiting until they are in the warehouse...that would be a surcharge that could cover the increase in staffing level (plus tip)

Just got this respond to my question - why RC has the service and X doesn't:

"Thank you for contacting Celebrity Cruises. Please accept our apologies that we were unable to respond to you as quickly as we had hoped.

Thank you for your feedback regarding our cruise line’s recent discontinuation of the Luggage Valet program. I am very sorry for the disappointment this has caused. Kindly note that this was a carefully made business decision that stemmed from the program’s logistical challenges and limited popularity. Although there are no current plans to reinstate this luggage service, some airports and other independent companies do offer similar transport options. As such, I recommend pursuing one of those options should you desire such assistance."

X respond does not even answer the question.

And I replied:

"You are not answering my question - why the parent company Royal Caribbean is offering this program and Celebrity is not.

Isn' t Celebrity suppose to offer more " modern luxury" then their competitors, who still offer this service?

If Celebrity promote this service as much they promote beverage packages and Specialty restaurants, more people will participate.

Discontinue of this program left a lot of unhappy and disappointed customers, me included.

I will be contacting Ms. Lisa Lutoff - Perlo. Maybe she can explain

Edited by ISABELLA

Just reading the boards for my March Koningsdam cruise. Cruisers on the January cruise have already signed up for Luggage Direct 19.95/person.

I am thrilled!

I was reading Live from the Koningsdam!

Celebrity needs to re-instate Luggage Valet!

It not only helps those who purchase it, but promotes less crowding att he luggage claim area and the Turk through customs!

Bring Back Luggage Valet!

"I have been searching for these independent companies that offer similar options for months now (ever since I received the same form letter) and have been unable to find them.

If anyone knows who they are, please share!"

You haven't found one because there are none. It was some copywriter's idea of a palliative phrase to put into their form letter.

There is no company which will take your luggage off the ship for you, transport it to the airport, and check it in, while also providing your check-in documents and special luggage tags.

There are some companies which will take the luggage after you have claimed it at baggage claim, and hauled it through Customs/Immigration, but no independent company does the hallway-to-home service that Luggage Valet provided.

I, too, always weigh my luggage to be sure it doesn't exceed the limit. In fact it never crossed my mind to do otherwise.

I guess - " to abuse a privilege is to lose it". So just maybe if Celebrity brings back Luggage Valet they will remind participants of the airline restrictions, calling upon cruusers' better selves to play within the rules.

Also the lack of popularity issue is due to ignorance, I believe.

Every friend I have introduced to Luggage Valet has been previously uninformed as to how it works and it's value.

Once they try it they are hooked.

Bring back Luggage Valet!

Just got off the phone with X regarding this service and here is a NEW development - " since they have learned how many people are upset and disappointed they are looking into finding a comparable service to satisfy passengers. " I am not sure if this was just a way to get rid of the complains, but they still could not explain why RC offer the service and X doesn't.

I am not holding my breath, but it will be a big surprise if X reinstate the valet service anytime soon. They also said that one of the reason was too many complains regarding broken luggage. I suggested that X should put a flyer in every cabin first day of the cruise along with ALL other adverts in the cabin and see how many people will like to take advantage of the service.

Time will tell.

Unfortunately 21 negative responses will not be enough for celebrity to move on this problem. We enjoyed this also. I didn't know they had stopped this program until we were on the equinox last week.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It hasn't only been 21 complaints. There are many threads and people that have contacted Celebrity with regards to their discontinuation of this invaluable service. Alas, it still doesn't look as though they will reinstate it any time soon. As a matter of fact, I think more and more, you will see other airports and cruiselines cancelling this program. We were going to try to use it for Southwest out of Seattle a couple of months ago after our cruise on RCCL. Canceled! :(

I just got off the phone with captains club (again). After going through the usual dance of displeasure with the suspension of a lovely service, I (again) asked about any assistance that might be offered to disembarking passengers to make the transition from lovely relaxed cruise into the real world go more smoothly. Of course, there was nothing offered, BUT, I asked about the concierge printing out our airline boarding passes and was told they absolutely would. Not much, but something I thought I'd pass along. Years ago, before I remember using Luggage Valet, I do remember disembarking in Valparaiso, Chile and having the Concierge print our passes while onboard the last day. (Maybe they didn't offer the service in Chile.) I'll try it at the end of my upcoming cruise and post the results. Fingers crossed. Any little bit helps. Still not looking forward to dragging luggage around Miami though. (Especially since we booked our return flights with Choice Air telling us they had to be later to take advantage of a defunct program!):confused:

Edited by Luvcrusn

We also loved this service and used it on several prior cruises.

Princess still offers it for $25 per passenger - well worth it, particularly when you may do a little touring on your prior to going to the airport. It's another factor that unfortunately continues to push us towards Princess over Celebrity (whenever price and itinerary are equivalent)...