Multiplugs

ROYALBOY

I've seen this cube advertised here before, so I guess some people are using them.

One of my favorite cruise tricks is to take a Euro adaptor and use the Euro outlets to charge my cell, heat my dual current electric curlers and hair straightener. This frees up the U.S. outlet for other things. I also purchased a white noise machine that has a Euro plug and we use both while traveling in Europe and on the ship.

I've seen this cube advertised here before, so I guess some people are using them.

One of my favorite cruise tricks is to take a Euro adaptor and use the Euro outlets to charge my cell, heat my dual current electric curlers and hair straightener. This frees up the U.S. outlet for other things. I also purchased a white noise machine that has a Euro plug and we use both while traveling in Europe and on the ship.

I was just going to say this very thing! This is a fantastic idea...cell phones and computers typically are dual voltage, so buy a plug adaptor and then your US outlets are freed up for other things. We have iPhones and a Mac computer. These can be plugged into the European outlets--if you have the adaptor plug. It does not have to be a voltage adaptor, just a plug adaptor.

this is not an advertisement...and Yes I have had my regular surge protector confiscated at the port... but has anyone used one of these:

e0f816131d692ee70027f47e2e697c0f.jpg

I had one of these on my recent cruise (on Infinity) and did not like it. Because of the location of the electrical outlets, you cannot use all of the ports when you plug this in to the outlet. I don't know how to explain this, but some of the outlets on the cube are inaccessible when plugged into the electrical outlet. I have one that is more flat and longer and has all the ports on one side, and it has worked much better for me.

Carolyn

this is not an advertisement...and Yes I have had my regular surge protector confiscated at the port... but has anyone used one of these:

e0f816131d692ee70027f47e2e697c0f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This looks like the one that has a surge protection feature which is not allowed for onboard use. Not sure if there is another model that does not have the feature.

That device is banned on cruise ships since it has surge protection built in which requires a grounded circuit to work. It can cause electrical problems because of the non-grounded wiring found on ships. It is difficult to get a grounded circuit when you are in the middle of the ocean. After all, they call it a "ground" because it is connected to the ground!!

Every time you plug it in on a ship you risk a fire. Not a good thing at all!!!

Edited by SantaFeFan

That device is banned on cruise ships since it has surge protection built in which requires a grounded circuit to work. It can cause electrical problems because of the non-grounded wiring found on ships. It is difficult to get a grounded circuit when you are in the middle of the ocean. After all, they call it a "ground" because it is connected to the ground!!

Every time you plug it in on a ship you risk a fire. Not a good thing at all!!!

Well, not quite. The ship's electrical system is grounded (sea water is a better conductor than dirt), but it uses a "floating" ground. Your house is wired so that the "neutral" wire (the larger of the two flat prongs on a polarized plug) is connected to the "ground" wire (the round prong in a 3 prong plug) back at your breaker panel, so they are always at the same voltage. A ship does not use a "neutral", and neither of the flat prongs of the plug are connected to ground. A ground is required, however, for safety, so that you don't get electrocuted.

Yes, a surge protector requires a ground connection, but many appliances that are not surge protected have 3 prong grounded plugs.

Some of the powercube products are surge protected, and some are not, it requires a close look at their website to differentiate.

Complaints about the powercube include those mentioned by another poster, that due to the outlets in ship's cabins being so close to the table top, or to the side of the cabinet/closet next to the table, that you cannot access all of the outlets. Reviews also mention a lack of durability, where pulling your appliance plug out of the powercube without holding the cube results in the powercube falling apart.

Well, not quite. The ship's electrical system is grounded (sea water is a better conductor than dirt), but it uses a "floating" ground. Your house is wired so that the "neutral" wire (the larger of the two flat prongs on a polarized plug) is connected to the "ground" wire (the round prong in a 3 prong plug) back at your breaker panel, so they are always at the same voltage. A ship does not use a "neutral", and neither of the flat prongs of the plug are connected to ground. A ground is required, however, for safety, so that you don't get electrocuted.

Thanks for the clarification! I much prefer to be corrected than to continue posting inaccurate information. :o

I have begun looking at these for our trip and cannot find any that do not include surge protection. Can anyone recommend one that is not surge protected to keep things safe?

I got this one through Amazon. It is now priced at $6.70. https://www.amazon.com/Monster-Outlets-MP-OTG300-LTOP/dp/B003TXRTNG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480957257&sr=8-1&keywords=MP+OTG300+LTOP

OTG_3_Laptop_Detail.jpg

I have begun looking at these for our trip and cannot find any that do not include surge protection. Can anyone recommend one that is not surge protected to keep things safe?

Depends on what you want it for. The one sloop sailor has found is one of the very, very few that combine power outlets and USB ports that is not surge protected. For power outlets, the Monster PowerSquid is a good choice as the short cords for each plug gives room for power bricks, etc. For a multi-USB port, any unit that has a two prong plug on it is not surge protected.

Ipads, tablets, cell phones, laptops and such are dual voltage (110 - 230/40) anymore so you're good to use the Euro outlet onboard with an inexpensive plug adaptor (I keep 2 in my carryon). I used to bring a white noise machine but switched to the White Noise app on my phone with a little portable bluetooth speaker. Same amount of space but more versatility. The phone charges overnight on the desk while the speaker runs on the nightstand. Also use the speaker with my phone/tablet for music and movies. The speaker is getting old and doesn't hold a charge as well as it used to, so when it's on the nightstand, I plug it into a little external battery to keep it running all night. White noise eliminates hallway noise, loud neighbors, or moving tables/furniture above. The only other gizmo I take is a USB hub (also universal voltage) and a bunch of short cables to charge everything at once. The hub has a long cord so it doesn't need to be next to the plug. BTW, my tiny hairdryer (I like it better than the ship's) and my curling iron are both dual voltage so I can use the 220 outlet with the plug adaptor. But you could use the plug adaptor for the hub and free up the US outlet. As they say, six of one..... This setup has been working well for me on land and sea for quite awhile with no surge protectors or extension cords necessary. I keep it all in a little zip up pouch in my carryon. Only need to remember to throw in additional plug adaptors if I'm visiting the UK which I invariably forget so I now have "a collection."

I like the 2 in 1 OREI/Wonpro schuko adapter. It fits snugly in the socket (good for heavier wall warts & loose sockets). It accommodates a variety of plugs into the adapter so you can unplug whatever is already plugged in (usually two prong euro), plug that into the adapter, and still have another socket. It doesn't have to be 2 prong flat US NEMA or 2 prong Euro CEE https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets#Types_in_present_use

https://www.google.com/search?q=orei+2+in+1+schuko&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X

51KwyKAkt5L.jpg

More info https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CsCMWKujeY

I use the blue cube pictured and it is not surge protested, although you have to be careful, as some are. The advantage is that you can rotate it depending on which direction the outlet is installed. On MSC Divina, they were sideways!

Divina10_zpsimhuxegz.jpg

Yes, the outlet on the bottom when it is plugged in is not usable, but we have found the only thing that needs a real outlet is my computer. Everything else uses a usb port.

DSC00255_zpsk6klrqwp.jpg

My sister adds a plug with two usb ports, which gives us four usb, plus a nightlight...

DSC00257_zpsnwjppfvg.jpg

EM

Edited by Essiesmom