Shorts in MDR on Allure

I thought the topic was shorts in the MDR....

I wear Suits/Tux on formal nights and unless my luggage is delayed, always were pants and collared shirt.

But if someone sat next to me, I could care less what that wear. Why can't you??

Nobody is ruining your cruise but YOU!

If you read my post, you would find it about explaining why people judge, others regardless of them stating they don't. I also said the judgement goes in two different directions. Now, did I say it ruins my cruise, no, I did not, but what I said, that I and most others would judge a person that shows up dressed in a different manner than what is expected for the evening.

Along with my post, I pointed out how everyone judges. Your reply just judged me in a manner that you found fitting. So, if you can make a judgement about me, why wouldn't it be ok for me or others to make judgement on others that show up in shorts?

Your comment only proved my point that everyone makes judgements

Thanks

If you read my post, you would find it about explaining why people judge, others regardless of them stating they don't. I also said the judgement goes in two different directions. Now, did I say it ruins my cruise, no, I did not, but what I said, that I and most others would judge a person that shows up dressed in a different manner than what is expected for the evening.

Along with my post, I pointed out how everyone judges. Your reply just judged me in a manner that you found fitting. So, if you can make a judgement about me, why wouldn't it be ok for me or others to make judgement on others that show up in shorts?

Your comment only proved my point that everyone makes judgements

Thanks

I judge all the time....(Status, smoking, boarding, pushy people, and so on) just not about shorts in the MDR... although I don't practice it.....

Edited by troykahack

Primarily because the attitude I describe permeates itself in many other area of ship board life from hogging lounge chairs by the pool to letting cute little children run wild throughout the ship. Elevator etiquette, using utensils instead of fingers in the buffet, saving seats in the theater are not far behind.

It sounds like you're really worrying too much about what other people are doing to upset you than worrying about yourself having a great time on your cruise. If the children being on the ship is a problem for you, there is a really simple solution...use a different cruise line. Not to be an a**hole or anything, but Royal Caribbean markets themselves as family ships (meet and greets with Dreamworks characters, dreamworks movies, extremely large childcare program and dedicated space). There are many other lines out there which cater much less to families and more to couples looking to enjoy a nice quiet vacation.

OP, as has been stated, there are other dining venues on board to suit people who wish to wear shorts at dinner during 'their vacation'. The MDR is not one of them regardless of how many people break the rules.

I am not snooty nor judgemental, and the following comment is not about personal wealth. That said, it is classy when one follows the rules.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/classy

having or showing class: as ... b : having or reflecting high standards of personal behavior

OP' date=' as has been stated, there are other dining venues on board to suit people who wish to wear shorts at dinner during 'their vacation'. The MDR is not one of them regardless of how many people break the rules.

I am not snooty nor judgemental, and the following comment is not about personal wealth. That said, it is classy when one follows the rules.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/classy

having or showing class: as ... b : having or reflecting high standards of personal behavior

We try to dress classy, and if you read my post we always dress as you wish in the MDR.... but we just don't really care what others wear... it doesn't downgrade our experience and cruise. We are content with our wear and don't give a hoot about others.....

I bet you belong to the "It's my vacation and I'll do what I damm well please anytime or anyplace I damm well please and if you don't like it tough ...t" club. Think membership is growing.

Just make sure they are "nice" gym shorts, sneakers, wife beater tee, Yankees hat.

Well said totally agree on this.

We try to dress classy, and if you read my post we always dress as you wish in the MDR.... but we just don't really care what others wear... it doesn't downgrade our experience and cruise. We are content with our wear and don't give a hoot about others.....
My post wasn't a reply to your post, but was meant for the "OP" = original poster.

However, I did not say "dress classy." Style was not my point. My point was that it shows class to to follow the rules.

I can see this in a review: "Had an absolutely great time on my recent cruise. It would have been perfect if not for that guy at Table 215 who wore shorts on night 3!"

I just let out a very audible laugh in my cubicle. Thanks for that...long day and needed a laugh.

Well said totally agree on this.

As long as RCI insists on building floating theme parks the patrons will dress accordingly. It would be interesting to know if the dress suggestions are more closely followed on the smaller ships (e.g. Radiance and Vision-class ships).

As long as RCI insists on building floating theme parks the patrons will dress accordingly. It would be interesting to know if the dress suggestions are more closely followed on the smaller ships (e.g. Radiance and Vision-class ships).

They all state the same "suggested dress" as opposed to required or requested. No idea about the actual turnout of following suggestion vs. not

Hey, at Disney's most popular and good restaurants, shorts are always welcome.

I think the clothes worn in MDR have gone more casual over last 20 years, seems to fall in line with a similar decrease in quality of food. We don't do shorts but don't sweat jeans nowadays. Might be different if the meal felt upscale like 15-20 years ago. Dress codes have relaxed at work too so I think it's fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've sailed NCL, HAL, Carnival, Princess, Celebrity, and Royal. I've seen shorts in the MDR on all of them. I've also seen people turned away in shorts on all of them. It's purely at the whim of the host/hostess.

As far as shoes go, my mom has taken her fair share of cruises and has a penchant for wearing flip flops since she hates closed shoes. They're always in good repair and some are "fancy" with bedazzling or fake flowers on them. No one has ever turned her away with them, but she never combines that with shorts unless it's at a casual spot like the buffet.