Shorts in MDR on Allure

The all caps part don't make it seem like it's your "humble opinion"! Makes it sound like it's your mandate!

I don't wear shorts to dinner in the MDR or specialty restaurants, but I never understand why some people think they need to worry about what others prefer to wear. Reminds me years ago of all of the "no jeans" police around here.

You're going on a cruise ship where there are thousands of different people from different countries, backgrounds, socioeconomic positions. How does what they wear effect your enjoyment? Not necessarily aiming this at you, but at those in general who seem so offended by it.

You must have missed the signature aswell? Where he makes sure its big enough and colourful enough for us all to see he is "Pinnacle Club" and " Captains Club." Anyone who needs to show this is obviously insecure in some way so maybe the caps are this members way of venting!?

Wear your shorts...its your vacation too. Dont mind the begrudgers.

THIS !!!!!!

I for one do not wear shorts in the MDR when asked not to, HOWEVER I also don't care if the person sitting in the table next to me is wearing shorts. I'm there for the food, period. I spend little to zero time looking at other people's ensembles.

If you want to try for it, go for it. The worst they can do is turn you away, in which case you can certainly come back with long pants on (even jeans I am sure) and enjoy a nice dinner :)

You must have missed the signature aswell? Where he makes sure its big enough and colourful enough for us all to see he is "Pinnacle Club" and " Captains Club." Anyone who needs to show this is obviously insecure in some way so maybe the caps are this members way of venting!?

Not Insecure just making the point, if you have to make this kind of Comment it shows up who is Insecure, nothing was mentioned about Status until you brought it into the thread, notice you are so insecure you don't even say where you are from.

The word "suggested" is a nice way of saying please "respect" the evening, and take the extra "effort" to make the evening more "special" for yourself, and others around you.

I dress for work also. I chose where to go on vacations, and I knowingly know that I might have to dress nice, even on vacation, for an event or dinner. The argument that I'm on vacation, and I don't want to dress nice, means that you need to pick a style of vacation that suits your wishes.

Why should you care what others where. Human nature, regardless of any arguments, for or against, will dictate that you will be judged by the amount of "respect" or "lack of respect" you have for yourself, or the others around you. If you sit at a table for 8, and 6 couples are wearing a suit and tie, and you show up, wearing shorts, flip flops, and a t-shirt, you will be judged by the lack of respect you just showed for the dinner table. I would bet, the conversation and looks you receive when you sit down will show and I'm sure, the conversation will be steered away from you. It's human nature. Yes, it matters what you wear when it is "suggested" you dress up.

Kids, are no different than adults. They should be dressed for the evening. Gym shorts are not "cute" at the dinner table, for a "formal" night. They only wear those clothes "all the time" because you allow them to wear it all the time.

I live in Florida, it's hot, is not an excuse for not wearing long pants. I live in Florida, and wear long pants all the time. It is not uncomfortable, unless I'm laying on the beach or working in the yard.

The word "suggested" is a nice way of saying please "respect" the evening, and take the extra "effort" to make the evening more "special" for yourself, and others around you.

We have to "respect" an evening? I have never heard that one before!

It's suggested likely because the cruise line thinks it projects a higher class image of the dinner venue. It's not REQUIRED because the cruise line knows people don't like to be told what to do when on vacation.

If someone's level of enjoyment of their dining experience is predicated on what some guy from some other world at another table wears on his legs during a meal....then that someone needs to surround themselves with more interesting tablemates, or they need to join a country club where dress codes are a requirement.

Omg my husband and boys wore shorts and sneakers every night in the MDR on Oasis except for formal night. No. One. Cared. We plan to do the same on Harmony.

I bet you belong to the "It's my vacation and I'll do what I damm well please anytime or anyplace I damm well please and if you don't like it tough ...t" club. Think membership is growing.

Just make sure they are "nice" gym shorts, sneakers, wife beater tee, Yankees hat.

I dress for work also. I chose where to go on vacations, and I knowingly know that I might have to dress nice, even on vacation, for an event or dinner. The argument that I'm on vacation, and I don't want to dress nice, means that you need to pick a style of vacation that suits your wishes.

Why should you care what others where. Human nature, regardless of any arguments, for or against, will dictate that you will be judged by the amount of "respect" or "lack of respect" you have for yourself, or the others around you. If you sit at a table for 8, and 6 couples are wearing a suit and tie, and you show up, wearing shorts, flip flops, and a t-shirt, you will be judged by the lack of respect you just showed for the dinner table. I would bet, the conversation and looks you receive when you sit down will show and I'm sure, the conversation will be steered away from you. It's human nature. Yes, it matters what you wear when it is "suggested" you dress up.

Kids, are no different than adults. They should be dressed for the evening. Gym shorts are not "cute" at the dinner table, for a "formal" night. They only wear those clothes "all the time" because you allow them to wear it all the time.

I live in Florida, it's hot, is not an excuse for not wearing long pants. I live in Florida, and wear long pants all the time. It is not uncomfortable, unless I'm laying on the beach or working in the yard.

Hogwash

Why do you feel people should JUDGE.

I am a bit off topic but recently the only time I've seen anyone turned away from the MDR because of clothing choice was a man in a tank top. This was at breakfast time, but I don't recall the ship. I also saw a heated discussion between a passenger and a staff when the passenger wanted to enter the Windjammer without shoes.

Seems most anything goes regardless if it is casual or formal night. I am old school and prefer to dress up a bit but I seem to be in the minority. That is OK as I've never been turned away from the MDR or a specialty restaurant because I am too dressed up for dinner!

M

Hogwash

Why do you feel people should JUDGE.

Every time a person meets another person, a judgement is made. It's something that happens. Whether you want to believe it or not, is up to you. You are standing in an elevator with a bunch of strangers. Two are talking, and one of them says something that made you cringe. You just judged. Every time two or more people meet for the first time, a serious of judgement begin. This process of judgement may not be openly apparent, but someplace in a person's brain, the judgement begins. It can be good or bad, but it happens. So yes, a person, that sits down for dinner when the rest of the table is dressed for the evening will be judged.

Just the act of noticing that a person is dressed "different" than what is expected is part of the judgement process. You noticed, so it was judged. So in your case, you judged it is appropriate to dress in shorts, and flip flops during "formal night". Others around you will also see the person that stands out, and might judge in the opposite way. We are judge. It is human nature.

Hi guys,

Carnival cruiser here looking to book my first cruise on RCCL on the Allure. Every carnival cruise I was allowed to wear nice shorts and shirt in the MDR. Formal nights I would wear khaki pants or nice jeans. I was reading that RCCL doesn't allow shorts at all in the MDR. Is this strictly enforced or can I put on a nice pair of shorts and shoes? I know this may be pushing it but I also wore flip flops every night in the MDR as well on Carnival. Would I get turned away for these things?

Thanks.

Stay with carnival

I bet you belong to the "It's my vacation and I'll do what I damm well please anytime or anyplace I damm well please and if you don't like it tough ...t" club. Think membership is growing.

Just make sure they are "nice" gym shorts, sneakers, wife beater tee, Yankees hat.

This really is a sad reply. Why the hostility? Why the exaggerated hyperbole? I was on the Harmony two weeks ago and ate in 150 Central Park twice and Wonderland once. I did not (nor was I required to) wear a suit and tie to dinner, and in fact did wear shorts and sneakers (sans the "wife beater tee") one night in 150. No one said a word, and the service and food were great.

Mind you, I did not plan on wearing shorts, but I was allowed to do so by the greeter at the door. No harm, no foul.

Take it easy on the superlatives. No one is required to wear formal wear if they choose not to. RCI doesn't care, so what right does a passenger have to foist his viewpoint on fellow cruisers?

Every time a person meets another person, a judgement is made. It's something that happens. Whether you want to believe it or not, is up to you. You are standing in an elevator with a bunch of strangers. Two are talking, and one of them says something that made you cringe. You just judged. Every time two or more people meet for the first time, a serious of judgement begin. This process of judgement may not be openly apparent, but someplace in a person's brain, the judgement begins. It can be good or bad, but it happens. So yes, a person, that sits down for dinner when the rest of the table is dressed for the evening will be judged.

Just the act of noticing that a person is dressed "different" than what is expected is part of the judgement process. You noticed, so it was judged. So in your case, you judged it is appropriate to dress in shorts, and flip flops during "formal night". Others around you will also see the person that stands out, and might judge in the opposite way. We are judge. It is human nature.

I thought the topic was shorts in the MDR....

I wear Suits/Tux on formal nights and unless my luggage is delayed, always were pants and collared shirt.

But if someone sat next to me, I could care less what that wear. Why can't you??

Nobody is ruining your cruise but YOU!

This really is a sad reply. Why the hostility? Why the exaggerated hyperbole? I was on the Harmony two weeks ago and ate in 150 Central Park twice and Wonderland once. I did not (nor was I required to) wear a suit and tie to dinner, and in fact did wear shorts and sneakers (sans the "wife beater tee") one night in 150. No one said a word, and the service and food were great.

Mind you, I did not plan on wearing shorts, but I was allowed to do so by the greeter at the door. No harm, no foul.

Take it easy on the superlatives. No one is required to wear formal wear if they choose not to. RCI doesn't care, so what right does a passenger have to foist his viewpoint on fellow cruisers?

Primarily because the attitude I describe permeates itself in many other area of ship board life from hogging lounge chairs by the pool to letting cute little children run wild throughout the ship. Elevator etiquette, using utensils instead of fingers in the buffet, saving seats in the theater are not far behind.

I bet you belong to the "It's my post and and I can misspell "damm" and damn way I want to" club. The poor literacy epidemic is growing!

Primarily because the attitude I describe permeates itself in many other area of ship board life from hogging lounge chairs by the pool to letting cute little children run wild throughout the ship. Elevator etiquette, using utensils instead of fingers in the buffet, saving seats in the theater are not far behind.

Not to mention people not getting off your lawn! :rolleyes:

Wrong! It would be either a Phillies or Eagles hat. :p

Just off the Anthem. The dynamic dining was still in place and we were assigned to the Grande, the 1st. night. I did not expect to see anyone show up in formal wear, but the woman who wore a tie dyed very well worn t-shirt, athletic style shorts and flip flops really looked out of place.

This didn't ruin my meal but I didn't understand how she didn't feel uncomfortable. JMO