Shorts in MDR on Allure

Guess I'll stick with Carnival then [emoji854] cruise time should be comfy and relaxing! Your paying for the cruise ... sheesh!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

People take it too seriously. It's 7 days in the Caribbean on a dazzling floating theme park; not a world voyage on the QM2.

I get a chuckle out of people talking about respect and SHOUTING about rules; etc. Most people look ready to go to a backyard BBQ at embarkation.

Yes it's your cruise but for the MDR no shorts please. Some people don't have the common sense or courtesy to wear nice shorts and shirts and close toed shoes for dinner. They are the extreme ones who will wear graphic t-shirts and sloppy cut offs to dinner. This is my cruise too so dress it up a but please. Go elsewhere to dress up in your flip flops and beach wear

Shorts are fine. The rules were very laid back. However, I found the MDR to be a little in the cold side for me. So, I mostly wore Jeans.

I packed both good pants slacks and jeans, but I ended up wearing jeans 9 nights. The other two were my suit night.

Yes it's your cruise but for the MDR no shorts please. Some people don't have the common sense or courtesy to wear nice shorts and shirts and close toed shoes for dinner. They are the extreme ones who will wear graphic t-shirts and sloppy cut offs to dinner. This is my cruise too so dress it up a but please. Go elsewhere to dress up in your flip flops and beach wear

I've never seen any suggestion, rule or policy regarding a particular type/style of shoe.

M

Why do you feel this way? If Royal asked you to board by deck number and not knowing your status, and lets say your deck is the last to be called, would you abide by this request/ask/suggestion?

There are enough dining options on the ships where you can dress as casual as you wish. Keep the MDR for those of us who wish to be more dressed up. Duh!

What about my question.... if Royal asked you to board by deck number, would you follow this request, even if it was as late as say 2:30 or 3?

Troykahack what's your point? Your comment makes no sense

Actually it does... Royal has been sending out emails asking people to board by deck number, typically Suites, D+, and D as well and highest deck first, then 30+ min later two more decks, with last decks around 230 or 300.

If you haven't earned status above, and lets say your deck number would be the last to embark, would you follow their request and board later or still board when you choose too or just ignore Royal's request. We have gotten this email 3 times now but not for the big ships. It seems to happen on cruises with several ships in port.

Soooooo?

Edited by troykahack

It sounds like you're really worrying too much about what other people are doing to upset you than worrying about yourself having a great time on your cruise. If the children being on the ship is a problem for you, there is a really simple solution...use a different cruise line. Not to be an a**hole or anything, but Royal Caribbean markets themselves as family ships (meet and greets with Dreamworks characters, dreamworks movies, extremely large childcare program and dedicated space). There are many other lines out there which cater much less to families and more to couples looking to enjoy a nice quiet vacation.

Which is why we only sail on Celebrity. Absolute minimum of 10 nights, most often 12-14 nights and at times when kids are generally in school. Doesn't always work. Sailed out of Venice one time. They had some kind of kids sail free special. Even though it was April there were hundreds of kids the vast majority of whom created havoc throughout the ship. Water gun fights in the buffet. Running races to see who can go from the hideout the elevator, push all the buttons and return. They took over the hideaway from morning to late at evening. Rearranged all the chairs into a center grouping just for their use. Parents of course were no where to be found.

First you say "Yes it's your cruise but for the MDR no shorts please". Only to be followed by your next sentence "Some people don't have the common sense or courtesy to wear nice shorts and shirts and close toed shoes for dinner". Contradicting yourself.

First you say "Yes it's your cruise but for the MDR no shorts please". Only to be followed by your next sentence "Some people don't have the common sense or courtesy to wear nice shorts and shirts and close toed shoes for dinner". Contradicting yourself.

And will not answer my question...

How about anyone that says no shorts in MDR? Would you follow Royal ask to board by deck number. Mostly applies to those below Diamond and doesn't apply to Suites....

So would you choose to ignore but say no shorts in MDR?

Edited by troykahack

We like the formal nights and dress accordingly, we would never wear shorts on a formal night but this discussion is basically a waste of time because the cruise lines refuse to enforce the dress code, either it's formal night or not.

Edited by MISTER 67

And will not answer my question...

How about anyone that says no shorts in MDR? Would you follow Royal ask to board by deck number. Mostly applies to those below Diamond and doesn't apply to Suites....

So would you choose to ignore but say no shorts in MDR?

Not sure if you are you asking me or just to those that say "no shorts"? For us always wear shorts to the MDR the first evening. Say it's not so!! We always have our luggage, unpacked and everything hung up and put away before we go to muster. Each evening after that we dress IAW the suggested dress guidelines for the evening in the MDR. We could give a rats ass what others elect to wear. We leave that up to the staff that are standing at the main entrance to the MDR and getting paid to do what they are suppose to do. As far as boarding. We always get to the embarkation port early and are on board early. Never had an issue with being a certain tier level or recommended time or deck number priority .

Edited by davekathy

If non compliance of the dress code is the norm, maybe the cruise lines may reconsider having any dress code. It seems the consensus is that "its our vacation, I will dress as I please. Going forward, maybe a loin cloth and a spear will be formal attire.

I hated the idea of having the wear a suit to dinner on my first cruise, it actually diminished my dining experience when I am uncomfortable in a suit, on my second cruise I refused to bring a suit and rather ate at the buffet on those night. And for this reason alone, I booked my 3rd cruise with Norwegian, I was sold the moment I read all their cruises offer anytime and casual dining.

My wife like the dress up night on the cruise, but now with 3 kids, the thought of dressing them and our self up and the stress of preparation we goes though hours before dinner time make her lose her appetite, she rather join me and the kids at the buffet line, oh and we also benefit from packing one less luggage just for the formal nights.:D

Edited by AddictedtoFL

No.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow! You guys really take your dress codes seriously![emoji6]

You can wear nice shorts, no one is going to say anything.

We were in Coastal Kitchen in May on Allure and people were wearing shorts in there for dinner.

What people wear to dinner does not affect the quality of our vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We like the formal nights and dress accordingly, we would never wear shorts on a formal night but this discussion is basically a waste of time because the cruise lines refuse to enforce the dress code, either it's formal night or not.

Who said anything about that?