Cuba this spring:from Cruise Industry News

xrvlcruiser

Face it, Cuba will be another destination for most cruise lines. One I guess should not visit Russia or Germany(E. Berlin) because of the past or other countries around the world that have endured communism. Please don't visit Japan or Cambodia as they suffered the same plight if not worse in history.

Miles, I have spent plenty of time in Russia, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Germany, and lived in Japan. I just can't go to Cuba or North Korea or a couple of other places without getting in trouble. There are a lot of folks in exactly same situation as me. I don't know if these two cruises have cancellation penalty stating at 120 or 150 days; I just think Regent should make an exception if, in fact, they are in penalty.

Marc

Edited by Marq

Miles, I have spent plenty of time in Russia, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Germany, and lived in Japan. I just can't go to Cuba or North Korea or a couple of other places without getting in trouble. There are a lot of folks in exactly same situation as me. I don't know if these two cruises have cancellation penalty stating at 120 or 150 days; I just think Regent should make an exception if, in fact, they are in penalty.

Marc

Marc, why do you think you would get into trouble in Cuba? I mean this question sincerely. Many people have visited Cuba from Canada, US, EU without incident.

Marc

I would be interested in the opinions also. I certainly understand the deal we all make when cruising that ports can be canceled or switched. I also see that the prices have skyrocketed. My travel agent had told us that the bookings were wide open when we first inquired about these cruises. While we don't have whatever personal issues that Marq seems to have, I have some thoughts on the subject and would not have chosen one of these cruises if I had known about this itinerary. I would very much like Regent to address this question in a public forum. I hope that it would not turn into a great debate, but possibly a simple statement on policy.

Marc

Have you asked your TA about this? Just curious as, IMO, the best place to get an answer to the penalty question is obviously Regent or your TA. A quick phone call should answer the question.

P.S. I understand completely about not being able to go to Cuba or North Korea as my DH was in the same position. Hopefully Cuba will be removed from the list.

Have you asked your TA about this? Just curious as, IMO, the best place to get an answer to the penalty question is obviously Regent or your TA. A quick phone call should answer the question.

P.S. I understand completely about not being able to go to Cuba or North Korea as my DH was in the same position. Hopefully Cuba will be removed from the list.

I checked myself; penalty period starts at 120 days for trips less than 15 mights. So, for 11 April itinerary penalty starts this Monday 12 December. I "assume" that Regent has already contacted all that had been booked on these two cruises to let them know of the change.

Marc, why do you think you would get into trouble in Cuba? I mean this question sincerely. Many people have visited Cuba from Canada, US, EU without incident.

Not Marc, but a lot of people with high level security clearance military or state department jobs are restricted from traveling to several countries. My son is on that list, even though he has been out of the Marine Coros for a few years now. Due to his security clearance, he is not able to travel to Cuba as well as a bunch of other countries. He knows the list.

I checked myself; penalty period starts at 120 days for trips less than 15 mights. So, for 11 April itinerary penalty starts this Monday 12 December. I "assume" that Regent has already contacted all that had been booked on these two cruises to let them know of the change.

As of today I haven't received any notification of a change to my itinerary.

Found out today that I am going to Cuba. No notification, saw it online. Does anyone know if tourist cards will be provided. TA is out of office today, so I will make that call next week. An online travel site states that Visas are required.

Edited by Kinkajou

Found out today that I am going to Cuba. No notification, saw it online. Does anyone know if tourist cards will be provided. TA is out of office today, so I will make that call next week. An online travel site states that Visas are required.

As you may know, both proof of medical insurance and a tourist card is required from all tourists to Cuba. I have been concerned about what documents the Cuban officials would accept as proof of medical insurance, and whether or not we would have to apply to our local Cuban consulate for the tourist card.

Our TA was advised by Regent today that it will be mandatory for all passengers to purchase a package that includes medical insurance and the tourist card from Regent, for a fee of $125. There is also some form of declaration to be signed, but I have not seen the wording for this yet.

Hopefully this standardized process will ensure that both documents for all passengers will be accepted with no problems. A small price to pay for peace of mind, I guess.

FYI: this from Regent today:

The Cuba itinerary will comply with the "Educational exchanges--people to people" general license governing travel to Cuba by passengers subject to US jurisdiction. All passengers must complete an affidavit confirming that they are entitled to visit Cuba under this category of license, or some other applicable category.

I understand, subject to confirmation, that this includes passengers of all nationalities who depart for Cuba from a US port, even if those passengers are citizens of another country not otherwise subject to this restriction, e.g. Canadians.

Health Insurance and Visas:

All guests must provide proof of approved Cuban health insurance and be in possession of a Cuban visa. Cuban approved health insurance will be included in your cruise fare. Additionally, for all visitors who were not born in Cuba, a visa, also known as a "tourist card” (or “rosada” which must have a pink and blue background irrespective of your country of residency), is required to enter (and depart from) Cuba for non-business purposes. You may obtain this visa through Regent Seven Seas Cruises for a separate processing and procurement fee of $75 or on your own. Please note that you will not be allowed to board the vessel without proof of acquiring this visa.

This appears to mean that the mandatory medical insurance will be included in the fare, and one can either pay Regent $75 to obtain the tourist card, or arrange to obtain it on one's own. So the Regent fee has been reduced from the previously mentioned $125 to $75, or $0 if the tourist card is obtained independently.

One final note: our TA advises that as all of this is new to Regent there is still a lot of uncertainty about the process and paperwork.

I wonder how much the junta is making off of the tourist card, the health card, and whatever else they can get out of Regent and Regent guests?

Fluckey, while I expect your question was mostly rhetorical / political, based on some research I have done I can provide a partial answer with respect to the matter of the tourist card.

An individual in Canada applying for a tourist card directly from the Cuban consulate will be charged $24 CAD, or about $20 USD in gross fees collected by the Cuban authorities. When a third-party such as Regent applies for the tourist card, an additional consular fee of $40 CAD or $30 USD is collected. So, Regent’s cost (and the Cuban authority’s gross revenues) to apply on behalf of its passengers is in the range of $50 USD per passenger, as far as I can determine. Or about $35,000 for 700 passengers.

An individual applicant must also pay for the cost of a return trackable envelope, which could be another $25 or so depending on where you live. So the total cost to each passenger applying individually would be around $50 CAD or $40 USD, and it must be paid by money order or certified cheque (which represents an additional cost).

Regent is charging $75 USD to process each tourist card application, for a gross profit of something like $25 USD per person. Whether the value of having Regent take care of the application is worth the additional cost is, at the moment, for each passenger to decide. And obviously I have no idea how much of this additional fee, if any, might find its way to the Cuban authorities.

To me, all of this is nothing more than that well-understood rule of universal application that whenever money changes hands, some of it sticks. Therefore, I assume the import of your comment was directed more to the recipient of the money than the fact it is being collected. I understand that some people object to any travel to Cuba in opposition to its government. Fair enough, I appreciate that perspective. But such considerations are for each person to decide, as they are whenever one decides to visit another country.

Fluckey, while I expect your question was mostly rhetorical / political, based on some research I have done I can provide a partial answer with respect to the matter of the tourist card.

An individual in Canada applying for a tourist card directly from the Cuban consulate will be charged $24 CAD, or about $20 USD in gross fees collected by the Cuban authorities. When a third-party such as Regent applies for the tourist card, an additional consular fee of $40 CAD or $30 USD is collected. So, Regent’s cost (and the Cuban authority’s gross revenues) to apply on behalf of its passengers is in the range of $50 USD per passenger, as far as I can determine. Or about $35,000 for 700 passengers.

An individual applicant must also pay for the cost of a return trackable envelope, which could be another $25 or so depending on where you live. So the total cost to each passenger applying individually would be around $50 CAD or $40 USD, and it must be paid by money order or certified cheque (which represents an additional cost).

Regent is charging $75 USD to process each tourist card application, for a gross profit of something like $25 USD per person. Whether the value of having Regent take care of the application is worth the additional cost is, at the moment, for each passenger to decide. And obviously I have no idea how much of this additional fee, if any, might find its way to the Cuban authorities.

To me, all of this is nothing more than that well-understood rule of universal application that whenever money changes hands, some of it sticks. Therefore, I assume the import of your comment was directed more to the recipient of the money than the fact it is being collected. I understand that some people object to any travel to Cuba in opposition to its government. Fair enough, I appreciate that perspective. But such considerations are for each person to decide, as they are whenever one decides to visit another country.

+1 - great post!

I find it interesting that no one questions the exorbitant fees charged to get a Chinese visa (also a communist country) or Vietnam, Argentina and a host of other countries with similar political beliefs.

Edited by Travelcat2

There is also a big difference with China. Although China is a totalitarian state with limits on the rights we enjoy here, citizens are allowed to work at most any job they want and to keep the fruits of their labors. The country has many millionaires and billionaires. As long as they don't complain about the government or government policies, they can do OK. In Cuba, not so much. The only people with money are the dictators, their families and, I suppose, the military leaders which keep the dictators in power.

Sometimes when you "Google", the information you see is not exactly up to date. According to this article, http://www.powderquest.com/argentina-reciprocity-fee-suspended/ , the reciprocity fee was "temporarily suspended" March 26, 2016.

I was also wrong about Argentina - it seems that they are not communist - only Cuba, China, Laos and Vietnam are. While doing research for this response I came upon an article about countries with unfavorable opinions of the U.S. and think that some of you may find it of interest (you need to scroll down) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Americanism. The biggest surprises on the list to me were Australia, U.K., India and Brazil. Who knew?

For those of us that have visited Cuba, have interacted with their people and given them presents of items that they need, I hope that we all continue to support the people of Cuba.

Edited by Travelcat2

As nice as it is that Regent will be cruising to Cuba, passengers won't be able to experience Cuba. These are people-to-people tours meaning the tours are sanctioned by the government and they only show you what they want you to see. Yes, they will take you to Old Havana, and you will see some darling children, and take you to the market. However, they don't tell you that Cuban people cannot shop in the market unless they have CUD (Cuban currency that unless you work in a good government job that pays CUDs instead of Cuban pesos, or relatives send you dollars so you can buy CUDs, you can't shop there because you don't have the money), that Cuban people still have their food rationed, or that there are three levels of health care. That wonderful health care people talk about is for tourists or high level government employees. Regular citizens get third grade care and they have to bring soap, toilet paper, sheets, because the hospitals don't have that for them and the care is awful. You won't be able to get in a taxi and go where you want. You have to take the ship's tours which are dictated by the government. So if you really want to see Cuba and be able to do it on your own, go illegally the way TravelCat2 did. And, if you were born in Cuba (even though you're an American citizen and travel on a US passport), you need a Cuban visa if you left the country after 1970 or a Cuban passport and visa if you left before 1970. The Cuban constitution says that if you give up your citizenship you're not a citizen of Cuba any longer and will travel on passport of your new nationality. However, since the Cuban government does not respect the constitution they make Cuban-Americans have a visa or even Cuban passport. So yes, you can visit Cuba but you will be seeing what Castro wants you to see. It's not like going to China or VietNam that even though they are communist countries allow you to go on your own. Maybe some time in the future we will be able to see Cuba in its totally. Presently, all we are doing is adding to the Cuban government coffers. I'd love to see Cuba but I want to get off the ship and go where I want. Get on a taxi or walk where I want instead of seeing government propaganda. Sorry, but this is sore point.

Agree 100%

While doing research for this response I came upon an article about countries with unfavorable opinions of the U.S. and think that some of you may find it of interest (you need to scroll down) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Americanism. The biggest surprises on the list to me were Australia, U.K., India and Brazil. Who knew?

The author(s) of the Wikipedia article need to be very careful not to confuse anti-US Government Policy (including those policies that involve interfering with the policies of other sovereign states) with anti-Americanism or being in any way anti-American

Many around the world may disagree with some US Government policies and some American 'culture' without having any antagonism towards American people

Looks like there is a lot of interest in going to Cuba with Regent. The Mariner is filling up fast, at least for the first sailing. I have friends wanting to book and the bottom categories are now fully closed, not even wait-listed.

j