Star azipod propulsion problem

Circusboy354

I believe they think the final fixes will be accomplished during the 2-day Singapore port call.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

\\

On Star right now heading for Chabang due to arrive 6am 31st December and leaving 10pm on the 1st January.

Due into Singapore at 9pm Wednesday evening, 4th January

Having a great time, weather has been perfect. Enjoyed two ports in Vietnam, touring Hue and Saigon.

Despite the difficulties and changing itinerary most on board seem very content and happy !!

I have sent this response back to Maria.......Hopefully if more passengers from the 5th January cruise also put pressure on NCL we might get a better deal ?

Thanks Maria it looks like now after a week of asking and the words 'consider' a full refund have now been changed to you will give me a full refund but today is the last day we can get a refund from you so it's really come too late for us to now find something else and we are now resigned to cruising with you on the 5th January 2017.

With that in mind i am now looking for NCL to improve the offer of 20% cruise discount which i find insulting where the previous two cruises affected by the Azipod issues were offered 100% and 50% respectively and both were offered 50% off future cruises ??

You explained this was because of timescale ?

The passengers on the 5th of January like myself have been affected just as much or more because we have had the Christmas and New Years holidays affecting our ability to make any changes to our holidays since we were officially told of the Azipod issues on the 22nd December 2016 !!

We should be entitled to the same discount as the passengers on the 22nd December received otherwise there are going to be very disgruntled passengers on the 5th January 2017 cruise.....

Please look at this forum on 'Cruise Critic' to see the frustrated and dissapointed passengers you have at the moment....

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?p=51857928&posted=1#post51857928

So,,, you were notified. That the bottom line.

And you understand that different people booked through different offices and different systems. And that notifications to non-US passengers is often "customised" to the customers booking through,,, say the U.K. Office. So,,, I assume that you understand that notifications to all passengers can't be done instantaneously through all systems at the same time to 2000 passengers. So,,, a 2 day lag from the primary guest services office to a remote office should be expected. Nothing shambolic about that.

Additionally we were supposed to be on the current sailing (Dec 22) and we found out officially about the changes while sitting at JFK on the 16th on our way to Hong Kong. We cancelled and did a great land vacation starting with Hanoi, Sapa, Da NAng, (Hoi An and Hue), Siem Reap (Angkor Wat), now in Bangkok then to Ko Samui and in Singapore to wave hi to the Star as it arrives on the 4th.

We knew there would be changes on Monday the 12th when a new itinerary was posted on cc, NCL would not confirm all week with many phone calls from me But even though we knew what was posted here it was not the itinerary announced on Friday officially so anything posted here as far as changes go is not official.

We had no choice to cancel as we planned this trip with my wife returning to Da nang for the first time since her parents were killed in the war and she was adopted by a us marine, we got to meet the nuns who took care of her and brought a ton of stuff for the kids there still being taken care of.

\\

On Star right now heading for Chabang due to arrive 6am 31st December and leaving 10pm on the 1st January.

Due into Singapore at 9pm Wednesday evening, 4th January

Having a great time, weather has been perfect. Enjoyed two ports in Vietnam, touring Hue and Saigon.

Despite the difficulties and changing itinerary most on board seem very content and happy !!

Good for all of you .... And going to Bangkok -- On a half price cruise

Edited by BettyNL

For a cruise that does not call at any US ports, or that doesn't involve unfair practices against US flag cruise ship operations in the area of the world involved, I don't believe the FMC has any jurisdiction to involve itself with this issue.

I wrote to FMC Office of Consumer Affairs and Disputes Resolution Services (CADRS) to file a complaint on NCL behavior. They advised they exercise regulatory authority over passenger vessels only to the extent that it requires them to obtain a certificate of financial responsibility of carrier to compensate passenger for liability they incur for death or injury to passengers on voyages to or from U.S.'ports and to reimburse passengers for nonperformance of purchased cruises in the United States. For safety related issues the recommend contacting the Coast Guard Marine Safety Office.

Hopefully the powers that be in NCL are now starting to realise that the passengers won't be fobbed off with a 20% cruise only offer !! We need to keep the pressure on them before during and after the cruise until they give us a fair offer that pervious passengers got !!

But i hope no one gives the staff on the NCL Star any grief as they are stuck with the ship too !! It's customer and guests services we need to keep pushing and sending emails to the CEO's as they have the power to sort this shambolic situation out !!

Hopefully the powers that be in NCL are now starting to realise that the passengers won't be fobbed off with a 20% cruise only offer !! We need to keep the pressure on them before during and after the cruise until they give us a fair offer that pervious passengers got !!

But i hope no one gives the staff on the NCL Star any grief as they are stuck with the ship too !! It's customer and guests services we need to keep pushing and sending emails to the CEO's as they have the power to sort this shambolic situation out !!

Use the power of the "press"; paper; radio and TV.

Has anyone affected by the upcoming sailing gone to social media (FB) & use the messaging function to also contact NCL; and, make use of Twitter ... afterall, POTUS-elect is using it to his advantage (no "opinions" of what I think or sidetracking of topic, please)

Andy Stuart, CEO/COO has his Twitter account - "others" had previously make use of it (whether he will respond or acknowledge, reply or delegate to others down the chains of command to respond ... I don't think) [but, doubtful - IMO ... won't hurt to try and post there as well]

The "Star" is sailing between HKG and SIN this/next month with the altered itinerary, post/write up & see if the travel news staff might pick up this already developing story - (possibly as a "group" sailing onboard, voicing concerns & upload some images at sea) South China Morning Post and Straits Times - (links embedded here) you can easily look them up online directly.

We are still looking at the Jewel's 2018 Asia itinerary ... having sailed both of these ships in years past, but we are nowhere near booking it (several cabins + so far) yet - following this closely. It is all those port stops or else, a land tour with overnight stay would be far superior for the group as a whole.

Edited by mking8288

Has anyone affected by the upcoming sailing gone to social media (FB) & use the messaging function to also contact NCL; and, make use of Twitter ... afterall, POTUS-elect is using it to his advantage (no "opinions" of what I think or sidetracking of topic, please)

Andy Stuart, CEO/COO has his Twitter account - "others" had previously make use of it (whether he will respond or acknowledge, reply or delegate to others down the chains of command to respond ... I don't think) [but, doubtful - IMO ... won't hurt to try and post there as well]

The "Star" is sailing between HKG and SIN this/next month with the altered itinerary, post/write up & see if the travel news staff might pick up this already developing story - (possibly as a "group" sailing onboard, voicing concerns & upload some images at sea) South China Morning Post and Straits Times - (links embedded here) you can easily look them up online directly.

Edited by kiwicruisers51
changed mind

I wonder if the current offer only seems unfair when compared to the prior offer, which seemed surprisingly over-generous (to me, at least). Those passengers won the lottery, IMO.

Happy & safe travels to all those about to depart. Easier said than done - but try not to let the lead up carry over to your onboard experience. What a great opportunity to go on an itinerary like this.

Edited by TheDougOut

I have tried everything Facebook, twitter, instagram, the news, emailed called and written to Stuart and the other woman. They don't seem to care. I got one phone call back from a secretary that said sorry nothing we will do. All I wanted was an upgrade from ocean view to balcony. I even tried the Upsell office can't get a balcony even if I pay and I know there were many empty balconies when they took it down! I have never seen them be so unhelpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wonder if the current offer only seems unfair when compared to the prior offer, which seemed surprisingly over-generous (to me, at least). Those passengers won the lottery, IMO.

Happy & safe travels to all those about to depart. Easier said than done - but try not to let the lead up carry over to your onboard experience. What a great opportunity to go on an itinerary like this.

Ding ding ding ding ding. Winner winner chicken dinner

I have tried everything Facebook, twitter, instagram, the news, emailed called and written to Stuart and the other woman. They don't seem to care. I got one phone call back from a secretary that said sorry nothing we will do. All I wanted was an upgrade from ocean view to balcony. I even tried the Upsell office can't get a balcony even if I pay and I know there were many empty balconies when they took it down! I have never seen them be so unhelpful. ]

You got MUCH more than you are entitled to. Be happy.

You got MUCH more than you are entitled to. Be happy.

Interesting throughout this post how negative you are towards other passengers......I assume you are not on any of the cruises affected otherwise you would appreciate that people have spent thousands of pounds/ dollars etc on a cruise with a particular itinerary they wanted to go on and have saved hard for all year only for a problem which doing research shows the Azipod on the Norwegian Star is a reoccurring problem which turns up every so often starting in 2004 and 2015 and now twice in 2016 that NCL knows only to well about but chooses to keep patching the problem up rather than take the Star out put it in dry docks and redesign the Azipods to a much more reliable propulsion system which would prevent passengers having their chosen itinerary ruined and then be treated to a miniscule 20% cruise discount for the inconvenience of a wholly preventable fault !!

So if you aren't a passenger on one of the effected cruises may i suggest you keep your negative views to yourself as it almost feels you may have some alliance/ connection to NCL ??

Edited by Aburn09

Interesting throughout this post how negative you are towards other passengers......I assume you are not on any of the cruises affected otherwise you would appreciate that people have spent thousands of pounds/ dollars etc on a cruise with a particular itinerary they wanted to go on and have saved hard for all year only for a problem which doing research shows the Azipod on the Norwegian Star is a reoccurring problem which turns up every so often starting in 2004 and 2015 and now 2016 that NCL knows only to well about but chooses to keep patching the problem up rather than take the Star out put it in dry docks and redesign the Azipods to a much more reliable propulsion system which would prevent passengers having their chosen itinerary ruined and then be treated to a miniscule 20% cruise discount for the inconvenience of a wholly preventable fault !!

So if you aren't a passenger on one of the effected cruises may i suggest you keep your negative views to yourself as it almost feels you may have some alliance/ connection to NCL ??

We take about 6-7 cruises a year. We have had many cancellations, changes, new itineraries. We recognize that we are one cruise out of many that change every month. And that we are not special nor entitled

We have also found that if you treat NCL with professionalism and respect, you get a lot further. They are willing to help and compensation can, if respectfully coordinated, will greatly exceed the basic compensation published.

If you start out an email or letter flaming the customer service, you are not likely going to get very far. Respect and Professionalism is the key to being helped.

Just a suggestion from a frequent cruiser.

We take about 6-7 cruises a year. We have had many cancellations, changes, new itineraries. We recognize that we are one cruise out of many that change every month. And that we are not special nor entitled

We have also found that if you treat NCL with professionalism and respect, you get a lot further. They are willing to help and compensation can, if respectfully coordinated, will greatly exceed the basic compensation published.

If you start out an email or letter flaming the customer service, you are not likely going to get very far. Respect and Professionalism is the key to being helped.

Just a suggestion from a frequent cruiser.

I concur wholeheartedly.

"There are more ways of killing a cat than choking it with cream" but the cream way is probably more pleasant and still works.

Totally agree. However Respect and Professionalism is a two way street wouldn't you agree?

I completely agree and started off that way but when I was ignored and not even given a call back that was a game changer. I have always found NCL in the past to be caring and responsive to any feedback from passengers. However this time this has been handled very differently and I wonder why that is?

I think that's the common thread Susan0000. It's the complete lack of communication right from the start, the promise of calls back that never materialise etc. We've had exactly the same experience. We've cruised with NCL before and it was excellent although there were no problems. The mark of true customer excellence is what happens when things go wrong. We can all be superstars when things go perfectly. Some people are in privileged positions to be able to cruise a lot each year, some spend 2 years saving for a cruise of a lifetime and some have life long dependencies tied into their trips, what's clear is that 'one size doesn't fit all'. Let's hope NCL step up to the plate eventually.

Interesting throughout this post how negative you are towards other passengers......I assume you are not on any of the cruises affected otherwise you would appreciate that people have spent thousands of pounds/ dollars etc on a cruise with a particular itinerary they wanted to go on and have saved hard for all year only for a problem which doing research shows the Azipod on the Norwegian Star is a reoccurring problem which turns up every so often starting in 2004 and 2015 and now twice in 2016 that NCL knows only to well about but chooses to keep patching the problem up rather than take the Star out put it in dry docks and redesign the Azipods to a much more reliable propulsion system which would prevent passengers having their chosen itinerary ruined and then be treated to a miniscule 20% cruise discount for the inconvenience of a wholly preventable fault !!

I assume I am allowed to comment since I was supposed to be on the current sailing?

A few thing first of all as you have stated the star has had issues in the past, I assume you knew that when you booked? Or did you decide to research that now?

Secondly any cruise itinerary is subject to change, it says so in the contract, now I know this particular cruise is a bit different then the weekly Caribbean sailings as it is a long way away and a unique itinerary but still subject to change. I knew that going in

Now knowing all that and knowing we saved for years for this particular itinerary and cruise I purchased insurance to cover us in the event something happened. And something happened.

We cancelled switched to a Asia land vacation and are having a great time

You have weeks to make alternate plans and put in your insurance claims, I had 36 hours. 20% is plenty compensation when no on was really entitied to anything