Star azipod propulsion problem

Circusboy354

I assume I am allowed to comment since I was supposed to be on the current sailing?

A few thing first of all as you have stated the star has had issues in the past, I assume you knew that when you booked? Or did you decide to research that now?

Secondly any cruise itinerary is subject to change, it says so in the contract, now I know this particular cruise is a bit different then the weekly Caribbean sailings as it is a long way away and a unique itinerary but still subject to change. I knew that going in

Now knowing all that and knowing we saved for years for this particular itinerary and cruise I purchased insurance to cover us in the event something happened. And something happened.

We cancelled switched to a Asia land vacation and are having a great time

You have weeks to make alternate plans and put in your insurance claims, I had 36 hours. 20% is plenty compensation when no on was really entitied to anything

Ok just to cover a few points........It's not my intent to annoy anyone else on this forum we all have valid points and opiions of own to make with what we've experienced so far.

With regards the Azipod issues......Up until the 22 nd of December i didn't know what one was so the research was done after i found out the Star had problems with them.......As for insurance 'pieshops' we have spoke about this before a few pages back and I'm glad you got to change your holiday through your insurance and i understand what your trip was about with regards your wife but like i said you have a very rare policy as most insurance companies won't cover for this problem they will say you have to take it up with the cruise company.......I personally didn't have weeks to sort this out as i was only made aware of the problem on the 22nd so with the Christmas and New Years holiday affecting who i can contact and when I've worked out i have 6 days to try and sort something out before i go.

Now like most on here i too have had many cruises including NCL and I've enjoyed them all bilut as has been pointed out on here is not until something goes wrong that a cruise company shows its true colours and with NCL on this issue they have got it wrong !!

Firstly they should not treat the different cruise dates differently if you get and i quote from them "significant itinerary changes " and missing an entire country like Thailand is just that then offering previous passengers a 'much' better compensation deal than the passengers on the 5th January then NCL have only themselves to blame !! We should all be treated the same !!

And as also mentioned in 'BirdTravel' you should treat NCL with professionalism and respect but if that doesn't work which i think we've all seemed to have tried then what ??

Well this is where we are now !.......So keep the pressure on NCL Guest and Customer services keep the emails and phone calls going email the CEO's as indivually we will achieve nothing but together we can achieve much more......People power is a great platform that will hopefully get the likes of NCL to sit up and listen that they have problem and fobbing off with a 20% cruise discount just won't wash with us !!

Edited by Aburn09

Would love to see this revert back to the original thread. Any updates on whether the part needed has been made and is on its way to the Star?

You're right! The people who want more compensation because that's going to make them enjoy their cruise more need a thread all of their own. The title could even be More Compensation Needed or Free Cruise Free Booze or Money Needed for Therapy Dog!!! I'm sure there are other great titles!

Any how Happy New Year everyone. Widshing you the all the best of health and happiness for 2017. I'm in my way to my New Years Celebration!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by karoo

You're right! The people who want more compensation because that's going to make them enjoy their cruise more need a thread all of their own. The title could even be More Compensation Needed or Free Cruise Free Booze or Money Needed for Therapy Dog or Pre Cruise Trauma Syndrome!!!! I'm sure there are other great titles!

Anyhow Happy New Year everyone. Wishing you all the best of health and happiness for 2017. I'm on my way to my New Year's Celebration!

Edited by karoo

Can anyone confirm which itinerary NCL star is using as the UK NCL are still working on the 2nd itinerary but the American NCL are using the 3rd itinerary ?......Our one on the UK itinerary starts with an overnight in Singapore and 2x2 sea days back to back ?

Edited by Aburn09

Can anyone confirm which itinerary NCL star is using as the UK NCL are still working on the 2nd itinerary but the American NCL are using the 3rd itinerary ?......Our one on the UK itinerary starts with an overnight in Singapore and 2x2 sea days back to back ?

Maybe you should ask your fellow cruisers on your roll call.

This thread is about the Azipod issue.

Azipod on the Norwegian Star is a reoccurring problem which turns up every so often starting in 2004 and 2015 and now twice in 2016 that NCL knows only to well about but chooses to keep patching the problem up rather than take the Star out put it in dry docks and redesign the Azipods to a much more reliable propulsion system

And while I agree that the Star has had her share of azipod problems, I still want to know how you know this is a recurring problem, and that it keeps getting "patched". If you've done research on azipods, you will know that there are two manufacturers of podded propulsion systems; ABB and Rolls Royce. Now, if you feel that ABB's product is not good enough, your research should also have shown that Rolls Royce's system has had many legal actions brought against them for failures of the system, something ABB has not had. So, it's not for NCL to "design" a more reliable system, since NCL does not make the system. Now, if you want to go to a generally more reliable propulsion system, like shafts, propellers, and rudders, you may as well scrap the Star and build a new ship, as you are talking about tearing off the after quarter of the ship's hull and starting over. This is the same issue, in reverse, that stopped Crystal cruises from rebuilding the SS United States.

Regarding drydocks, the Star has been in drydock in 2004, 2010, and 2015 for statutory inspections, and in each case, the azipods were completely overhauled as per the manufacturer's maintenance schedule.

Maybe you should ask your fellow cruisers on your roll call.

This thread is about the Azipod issue.

The thread has long since gone from discussion of the azipods to the question of customer service with the changes in itinerary, and compensation due, because of the azipod issue.

And while I agree that the Star has had her share of azipod problems, I still want to know how you know this is a recurring problem, and that it keeps getting "patched". If you've done research on azipods, you will know that there are two manufacturers of podded propulsion systems; ABB and Rolls Royce. Now, if you feel that ABB's product is not good enough, your research should also have shown that Rolls Royce's system has had many legal actions brought against them for failures of the system, something ABB has not had. So, it's not for NCL to "design" a more reliable system, since NCL does not make the system. Now, if you want to go to a generally more reliable propulsion system, like shafts, propellers, and rudders, you may as well scrap the Star and build a new ship, as you are talking about tearing off the after quarter of the ship's hull and starting over. This is the same issue, in reverse, that stopped Crystal cruises from rebuilding the SS United States.

Regarding drydocks, the Star has been in drydock in 2004, 2010, and 2015 for statutory inspections, and in each case, the azipods were completely overhauled as per the manufacturer's maintenance schedule.

Thanks for the clarity but the facts remain 'IF' you have been effected by 4 cruises that the Azipod issues interferes with and the misinformation supplied by different NCL departments then you can appreciate that passengers are frustrated with the whole way NCL has dealt with the problem.......I personally was told i could not get a full refund until i cancelled then NCL would consider or review what they might refund and it wasn't until the last day of being able to receive a refund they then said they would refund the whole amount which to me is too late and a little suspicious to offer at such a late stage ?

And if you had booked a holiday which included Thailand and paid for it up front only for Thailand to be removed don't you think you might be rather annoyed ?

And one last thing yes this thread is about Azipods but because of it the itineray has changed and as this thread mentioned that so i was just clarifying where we are going as they're are conflicting reports between the US and Europe itinerarys I would like to know where I'm going before i actually get on the ship so i can do some research on places we 'might' be going to ?

And again, I will state that I don't debate customer service issues concerning the cruise lines, since I no longer work there, but you keep bringing up the "patching" and "make shift" repair aspect, and that I can and will respond to.

I greatly appreciate the information you bring to this discussion. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. :)

I keep checking this thread daily for any updates to the azipod repairs and the info people such as yourself can share with us; not to read about people's customer service/compensation experiences. ;)

I was on the star in Singapore when the ship broke down. At the later meeting with the officers the question was asked about the repair, well,several questions. The captain and the chief engineer said the part was being ordered. They said the space needed to work on the problem was very, very small and only 2 people could fit. They said that the ship would have to be at dock (that is the reason for the overnights) for the safety of the workers and the tight space. They said the people who can fix it were on board, they were just waiting for the part to be flown to one of the future ports. Of course, it had to be made, he stated, they are not just hanging around somewhere. This was from the captian and the chief engineer, so hopefully they know what they are talking about.

So, from those statements, it is possible that the problem may be fixed at any time and the original itinerary may take place. Maybe that is why they are dragging their feet about refunds and things like that.

Don't get me wrong.....NCL has/was horrible at communicating this problem and all that goes with it (refunds, itinerary, just basic questions). It was hectic on board the ship when this happened, plus, the way they were loading the lifeboats with water, it was even scary too.

Having said all that, I do agree/sympathize with the people who are nervous about their upcoming cruise. No one can say that they don't care where the ship goes when they book a cruise. That and the price are the main things I look at. So, when Thailand was cut from our cruise, as well as two stops in Vietnam, I was not happy, even if our cruise was free. I had flown all the way around the world, literally I did circle the globe on this trip, to see these places that I may or may not have a chance to see again. At great expense I may add, which of course was not reimbursed(nor did I expect it to be) So, let them have their say. If you disagree, who really cares, you are not the one affected by this. If you were affected and changed plans, good for you, still does not make it better for those who didn't or couldn't change their plans.

This is supposed to be a forum to share ideas, help others and plan great vacations, not a forum to tell others how they should or shouldn't feel.

Live and let live.

Happy New Year and Happy sailing!!

So from a totally non engineering point of view over on my roll call it appears itinerary 3 is the same as the first revised one. (Take 1). Maybe the part is ready and arriving in Singapore on the 5th after all. Just guessing/ totally not fact. I haven't even received the email of take 3 revised itinerary as Aus office probably snoozing after ringing in the New Year!

Just received our THIRD revision --- and we still haven't left :eek::eek::eek:

Those of you who advise us not to complain .... You consider this normal ???

Can you tell us what your itinerary is then because here in the UK I've been told they're is no third itinerary (although i have seen it on here if it's the one where the Star leaves Singapore on the 5th as it was originally ?) The itinerary we have is an extra night in Singapore and 2x 2 sea days back to back ?

Just received our THIRD revision --- and we still haven't left :eek::eek::eek:

Those of you who advise us not to complain .... You consider this normal ???

Did you receive this third revision? It just seems weird that a lot of us (me included) that normally receive the NCL emails promptly didn't receive this email. I'm wondering if it was a tardy TA that finally got around to forwarding the old version not the updated version on.

I've only received two revised itineraries-Ah the serendipity of travel is really happening. PS - are we still embarking the 5th and disembarking the 16th?

So from a totally non engineering point of view over on my roll call it appears itinerary 3 is the same as the first revised one. (Take 1). Maybe the part is ready and arriving in Singapore on the 5th after all. Just guessing/ totally not fact. I haven't even received the email of take 3 revised itinerary as Aus office probably snoozing after ringing in the New Year!

Big favor to ask you. Once you are on board next week, can you provide updates on the status of the azipod repair if you hear anything? Probably best to start a new thread. Thanks much.

So in short Customer service are poorly thought of and better news is we are expecting a repair to the propulsion system some time over the next 10 days?

That's all we want to know really, we purchase insurance for the rest.

We don't get on till Mid Feb in NZ so am not bothered at all at this stage.

Hi Aburn, we are from the UK and this is the latest itinerary we have.

Can i just ask where you got that please as our TA and UK NCL 'still' are saying this itineray doesn't exist ?? I've only seen that itinerary on here which i believe originated from the USA and our TA said it could be fake ?? Did you get it from NCL or your TA ?? We have been told the itinerary is still the first two days in Singapore ????

If this is genuine then it will prove UK NCL are useless and misinformed but that will just be more ammo to throw at them when i get back and make a claim against them !!

Edited by Aburn09