Your favorite bourbon (or similar) onboard?

Totally agree, but if you ask for generic bourbon on the ship, they give you Jack.

That seems crazy- like asking for a glass of champagne and getting a glass of pinot. Yes, the initial ingredients might be the same but the processing is WAY different. (OK, admittedly probably more taste comparison between bourbon and Tennessee whiskey than champagne and pinot but still, they are not the same things!)

As a native Kentuckian, I feel really compelled to tell you that Jack Daniels is not bourbon. It is Tennessee whiskey. It says so on the label. I have no idea what they serve on Royal Caribbean, but being loyal to my homeland I just felt like I had to say something. Happy cruising!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I hate to enter the oldest whiskey argument in the United States, but Jack Daniels meets all of the legal requirements to be a bourbon. The legal definition is silent on charcoal filtration, so 51% corn, made in the US, aged in new oak barrels, etc.

It's ALSO a Tennessee whiskey as defined by Tennessee law...

(And believe me, if there was a sudden tax or financial advantage to being a bourbon, JD would be a bourbon.)

I hate to enter the oldest whiskey argument in the United States, but Jack Daniels meets all of the legal requirements to be a bourbon. The legal definition is silent on charcoal filtration, so 51% corn, made in the US, aged in new charredoak barrels, etc.

It's ALSO a Tennessee whiskey as defined by Tennessee law...

(And believe me, if there was a sudden tax or financial advantage to being a bourbon, JD would be a bourbon.)

I'll also add the whiskey cannot enter the barrel at higher than 125 proof.

And Nothing can be added but water and only to lessen the proof when necessary. Other whiskeys can add color and flavor.

And my favorites in Royal Caribbean is Woodford Reserve, Basil Hayden and Bulliet.

I'll also add the whiskey cannot enter the barrel at higher than 125 proof.

And Nothing can be added but water and only to lessen the proof when necessary. Other whiskeys can add color and flavor.

And my favorites in Royal Caribbean is Woodford Reserve, Basil Hayden and Bulliet.

Thanks. Couldn't remember the proof (I was thinking 120) and just short handed over the char.

I probably like Knobb and Basil Hayden on that list, but I'm currently heavily into Breckinridge while dreaming of Pappy...

I'm actually a scotch drinker but I really like Blanton's Bourbon. Funny thing, it has been almost impossible to find down here in Houston. If you're at a shipboard bar and you see a round bottle with a race horse stopper, that's Blanton's and would be well worth a good sip!

Thanks. Couldn't remember the proof (I was thinking 120) and just short handed over the char.

I probably like Knobb and Basil Hayden on that list, but I'm currently heavily into Breckinridge while dreaming of Pappy...

You have good taste my friend.

Question that is close to keeping on track here. I know it's not a bourbon but a Canadian whiskey and it's doubtful they have it, but my wife and I's favorite is Forty Creek. Any chance?

On the second page of this document, there is a list of spirits normally carried onboard:

https://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/assets/pdf/discover-cruise-holidays/bars-drinks-packages/RCCL-TradeDrinksFlyer-V4.pdf

Edited by clarea

Woodford Reserve as my go to Bourbon and is almost always found wherever you go. As far as my tastes go Jack Daniels it is as far from a clean smooth Bourbon as a peaty single malt is from vodka. After years of drinking it and pouring it at my bar and restaurants it is one of those liquors that is unique with what I describe as the yeasty smell and taste of fermenting corn mash without the corn, JUST THE YEAST. It's one of those if you like it you love it and if you don't you don't.. LOL

bosco

Been holding on to this little beauty since 2007. The plan was to break it open during my retirement party. I had already started drinking when I realized that I had forgotten to put it out.

It was too late.....as it had to be the first drink of the night.

I will probably end up selling it now.

fa9649465d0272ac15653da49529a774.jpg

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Edited by Beachammo

I'm a big bourbon drinker. I don't remember seeing Woodford on RCL in the past. Bulleit (favorite) and Basil Hayden (spicy) are usually available but not always.

I believe Jack D is the only bourbon choice if you're drinking in the DL or during the Diamond HH at bars.

On our last cruise, while in the DL, DH was served Hennessy (cognac), and really liked it!:p As far as bourbon, he prefers Crown Royal Black at home and usually drinks Jameson on the ships.:cool: My preference is vodka, Smirnoff Kissed Caramel on the rocks, or mixers with the Goose!!;)

I'm actually a scotch drinker but I really like Blanton's Bourbon. Funny thing, it has been almost impossible to find down here in Houston. If you're at a shipboard bar and you see a round bottle with a race horse stopper, that's Blanton's and would be well worth a good sip!

I was going to mention that one too! Mainly because it's my last name! LOL!!!

Spec's carries the single barrel Blanton's, and that's the only one you can get stateside. The one they have on the ships is the Special Reserve and that can only be purchased from international sellers. Their website also suggests trying Duty Free shops in airports for their other varieties. I couldn't even buy it directly from Blanton's in Kentucky!

We saw it on the Navigator in 2014 and I decided to buy my dad a bottle for Father's Day that year. We ended up getting him a bottle from Spec's and ordered some cigars that had been aged in the barrels directly from the distillery in KY.