Airfare is forcing us to cancel 😢

momperson2

I feel your pain. :mad: I just paid $2172 to fly from SAN to EWR and $2662 to fly from SAN to SJU. Ridiculous! Prices are $1,100 more than last time to the same ports in the same class of service.

Did you check from LAX? We just bought tickets rt to sju for $347 rt. In coach...biz is only $960 rt though. This is for next Oct...11 months out...a week before the cruise we are going to London for a few days...I used miles for biz class but friends paid $498 rt from LA.

Did you check from LAX? We just bought tickets rt to sju for $347 rt. In coach...biz is only $960 rt though. This is for next Oct...11 months out...a week before the cruise we are going to London for a few days...I used miles for biz class but friends paid $498 rt from LA.

Not sure when your traveling but did you look at Southwest? My cousin bought tickets from SAN to SJU on Southwest for mid march and paid $760 round trip. Just looked up mid March (just as a reference) to EWR and it was $580 round trip

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is this not a duplicate post from you at an earlier time, i.e. six to ten (6-10) weeks ago?

Or Am I just imagining it???

bon voyage

You're not imagining. It's easy to click her name and see all past posts. She's posted about this cost several times.

most importantly, you should always clear cookies and cache before you recheck for new flight prices, if you do not clear them you will get higher prices because they know you are in need of airline tkts.

I agree. I do an easier method of opening what's called an "Incognito Tab" in Chrome. Firefox and Internet Explorer have similar.

The "incognito" means no cookies or history are saved. A lot easier than going through the manual deletion process.

The above poster is correct, look at flying out of Windsor (or even Sarnia). I threw in travel dates of April 1st returning April 9th and found flights for under $600 CDN (approx $450 US) return.

You're not imagining. It's easy to click her name and see all past posts. She's posted about this cost several times.

t - thank you for the update. I forgot that a search could be done that way...

Most obliged.

bon voygage

Could you drive to a nearby or maybe not so nearby airport where you might get a better fare?

DON

d - no they will not drive anywhere but to DTW, by the ignoring of previous advice, it is clear to me, at least, they are not able to do anything but drive there....

bon voyage

While we are on this topic, for the umpteenth time, can anyone direct me to a First Class fare for under $750 r/t with no redeyes in departing in mid-July and returning 2nd week in August?

I do have my travel agent working it for sure... but thinking about it, why not ask here, maybe there is some magic I can glean...

TIA - bo1953 :cool:

We book a cruise over a year ago on the Silhouette leaving April 2. Got a decent price, great cabin 9th deck, on the bump, drink package and $650 in OBC. I work for the schools and this is our spring break--statewide we all have the same week off. Airfares are crazy---for 2 people flying out of Detroit cost is $1,800!!! IF we could take the exact same me flight:mad: a week later cost is $775 for 2 people. I can NOT take the day off before or after break. - I have been looking at airfare since June, even then it was over a $1,200 for 2 of us. Very disappointed--- not at Celebrity-- but airlines

Air fares can be challenging. For our trips/cruises I start checking early, but, I keep a spread-sheet and keep checking periodically. When I see the prices drop to what I consider reasonable, I grab it. Other posts here have had some great suggestions.;)

go to the celebrity website and click on Choice Air. You can do check on prices you might be surprised

I was surprised! Before I really knew about "Choice Air" I had booked us a one way flight back from Europe after a Celebrity TA cruise we are taking next spring. After checking all the usual websites, the best I could get was a fare of over $900pp. Subsequently, the airline I had booked with had a schedule change and cancelled the flight I had booked. That change entitled me to "select another flight" or a full refund of my non-refundable fare. Checking all the usual travel websites and airline websites again produced the same $900pp+ fares but Celebrity Choice Air offered fares for some of the same flights of about $350pp.

We book a cruise over a year ago on the Silhouette leaving April 2. Got a decent price, great cabin 9th deck, on the bump, drink package and $650 in OBC. I work for the schools and this is our spring break--statewide we all have the same week off. Airfares are crazy---for 2 people flying out of Detroit cost is $1,800!!! IF we could take the exact same me flight:mad: a week later cost is $775 for 2 people. I can NOT take the day off before or after break. - I have been looking at airfare since June, even then it was over a $1,200 for 2 of us. Very disappointed--- not at Celebrity-- but airlines

Just a thought... try looking for flights leaving from Canada. Our school breaks are in March. Your dollar is terrific compared to ours so you can get more for you buck. Toronto is about 4 hours away. It means a very long drive and going in the day of the cruise but in April weather is not going to be an issue from Toronto.

Unfortunately, I know the Detroit market well. The prices won't go down. You are correct, you may have to cancel if you can't change you day of flight , before or after.

On another thought, what I have done, being in this pickle myself is opened a credit card and used either points, mikes, or combination of both to help offset the cost.

The Detroit market has a monopoly, either go to another airport, another day, or don't go at all.

For spring break you have to book a year in advance, sorry. I have learned, to try to get southwest flights the moment they open, or use the earliest delta miles.

Unfortunately, I know the Detroit market well. The prices won't go down. You are correct, you may have to cancel if you can't change you day of flight , before or after.

On another thought, what I have done, being in this pickle myself is opened a credit card and used either points, mikes, or combination of both to help offset the cost.

The Detroit market has a monopoly, either go to another airport, another day, or don't go at all.

For spring break you have to book a year in advance, sorry. I have learned, to try to get southwest flights the moment they open, or use the earliest delta miles.

Problem is people have been giving the OP prices for Southwest for several weeks (this is the second posting ) even last night several of us looked up SW flights for them- leaving Saturday April 1st(schools not in in Saturday) and arriving back Sunday the 9th we were all able to find them flights for under $1100 for 2 round trip. The OP has not responded to one person though

What many are saying, WAIT until the last minute to cancel cruise, if there are no other options for warm weather vacations. That is a busy time of year for flights to warm weather and it will be toward the last of the HIGH season, having not looked at the calendar, Prices could radically change.

We are on the same cruise. There is time until final payment.

Check daily, more then once if you can.

I thought we were going to have to cancel and one day JB had a great sale.

I grabbed the flights for both of us less then 400, total, direct, non stop.

I checked everywhere twice a day

Edited by janetz

The weekend you're departing is the start of Easter week and still within the spring break season. If it were me I would not wait any longer. There's a good chance you won't be able to get tickets at all, regardless of price.

I hope you have looked into the options presented here. You may have to seek alternate airports and use different airlines for each leg.

Considering normally priced tickets would cost you probably $600, are you going to cancel over another $400-$500? I would even consider a cheaper cabin if it came to that.

Can anyone in that area fly Jet Blue? They are usually pretty good with prices!!

Op should also respond to thread if she wanted help.

I checked JetBlue over the weekend for the op and found fares substantially cheaper for the ns flight dtw-fll and back

Sent from my iPad using Forums

First I want to thank everyone for their airfare suggestions--- and I have look into a lot of them. Finding one that works for us is where we run into problems. Yes, there are some airfares less money, but arriving back into Detroit late at night (after 10/11 pm--arriving home after midnight) isn't good-- having to get up at 5 am for work. IF it was a Sat to Sat flight no problem. I think Southwest has a great price going there, home flight too late.

Also, we have look at Toledo, Flint, Lansing--- Windsor, Canada---(not sure dealing with Canadian customs-- once in airport then again coming across bridge to Detroit)

Problem is that this first week in April is now statewide spring break (used to be staggered)

We will continue to look, and probably cancel before final payment. We are also looking into a land base trip this summer--- or booking a Saturday to Saturday cruise in 2018.

I was hoping to let people know, if we cancel our cabin will be available (large balcony on hump). It just annoying that this week airlines can triple price (and get it). I guess when we retire in a few years, we can cruise when we want too--

First I want to thank everyone for their airfare suggestions--- and I have look into a lot of them. Finding one that works for us is where we run into problems. Yes, there are some airfares less money, but arriving back into Detroit late at night (after 10/11 pm--arriving home after midnight) isn't good-- having to get up at 5 am for work. IF it was a Sat to Sat flight no problem. I think Southwest has a great price going there, home flight too late.

Also, we have look at Toledo, Flint, Lansing--- Windsor, Canada---(not sure dealing with Canadian customs-- once in airport then again coming across bridge to Detroit)

Problem is that this first week in April is now statewide spring break (used to be staggered)

We will continue to look, and probably cancel before final payment. We are also looking into a land base trip this summer--- or booking a Saturday to Saturday cruise in 2018.

I was hoping to let people know, if we cancel our cabin will be available (large balcony on hump). It just annoying that this week airlines can triple price (and get it). I guess when we retire in a few years, we can cruise when we want too--

Mom2

Check cle - it's only 2.5 hours away from dtw and I was finding decent fares there too

Sent from my iPad using Forums