Carnival Splendor transferring to P&O

tidecat

Only problem is that itinerary pales in comparison with the Caribbean routes. Even the water is dark black. Repeat cruisers are hard to come by. Mexico has gotten a bit rough. The only jewel left is Cabo.

Princess has started doing more Sea of Cortez sailings, which are 10 day itineraries.

Mexico has 'gotten" a little rough? Quite the opposite, many of the ports that were closed a few years ago due to crime are back in business.

Another option is adding 12 day cruises going further south

Another scenario might be that the Vista 3 could be headed for the China market. The Splendor was originally going there, but since RC, NCL and Princess are all sending new builds there. Maybe Carnival wants to keep up. China is the fastest growing market in the world right now. They could then either bring the spirit back or deploy it permanently to Aussie. Just speculating.

Carnival Corp is forming its own brand for China:

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/15815-carnival-corp-signs-for-two-chinese-built-ships.html

It looks like you will not see the red white and blue whale tail in China with the possible exception of the occasional cruise to/from Australia or North America. The CSSC ships will be Vista-class ships though.

Sent from an iPhone using Tapatalk.

And the next round of "Dancing of the Ships" begins....stay tuned.

I found it very curious that John also mentioned about how Carnival hopes to be in Boston in 2018 in Thursday morning's video. Since no one said year round from Boston, I could see Boston getting a ship in the Spring of 2019, but not the Fall of 2018. If Carnival sends a ship to Boston for the summer of 2018 someone else is down a ship at least temporarily until Horizon arrives.

It will be interesting to see if P&O names her "Pacific Splendor" or comes up with a completely different name.

I would be surprised if one of the reasons they moved her out of the fleet was to change her name.

For many, she will always be the Carnival Spam. I think it's a bum rap, but when her West Coat home port was first announced, I was shocked by how many said they'd rather have a Conquest Class ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I also think it's hard to get ships to sail full from California. Princess doesn't seem to have that problem, but Carnival sure does. Different demographic? I'd be very surprised if we got even a Conquest class ship on the west coast due to the number of available berths. My biggest fear would be a Fantasy class ship taking over the Mexican Riviera cruises with a seasonal ship cruising through the Panama Canal for Hawaii. I love the Fantasy class, but not for longer cruises.

Although the ^%#&^%# once-a-day cleaning is being "tried out" on the Splendor, I'll have to book a MR cruise on her for old time's sake before she goes. Pepto Bismol pink, here we come!

Long beach announced earlier this year that they are redoing the port so they can add more docks for Carnival, including remodeling the dome.

I cruise for creme brûlée, lobster and warm chocolate melting cake!

Carnival Corp is forming its own brand for China:

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/15815-carnival-corp-signs-for-two-chinese-built-ships.html

It looks like you will not see the red white and blue whale tail in China with the possible exception of the occasional cruise to/from Australia or North America. The CSSC ships will be Vista-class ships though.

You may see some overlap between Carnival and the Chinese brand. The Chinese brand is Chinese built, flagged and crewed so that it can avoid China's cabotage law similar to the PVSA, so I would expect to see these cruises being more China port only cruises. Carnival may still bring their Oz ships north out of season for cruises farther afield like Indonesia to China and back.

I think carnival Corp has resigned themselves to letting carnival cruise line be the North American brand while letting sister brands focus on other world markets. I've always said I never saw the hairy chest contest being a thing the Chinese would like lol.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think that was always the plan....of course with some exceptions... I doubt they would enjoy the hairy chest contest or be able to participate.

I found it very curious that John also mentioned about how Carnival hopes to be in Boston in 2018 in Thursday morning's video. Since no one said year round from Boston, I could see Boston getting a ship in the Spring of 2019, but not the Fall of 2018. If Carnival sends a ship to Boston for the summer of 2018 someone else is down a ship at least temporarily until Horizon arrives.

I believe that the Horizon will do a TA in June 2018( from conversation I had with JH ). Maybe port in NYC for the summer and fall. So not unreasonable that Boston would be on a 2018 itinerary.

Europe was not profitable for the Vista this year so that I believe that the Horizon will only be in the Med for cruises in Mar, Apr and May and then do a TA to North America in late May or June. Also all other brands under Carnival Corp are in Europe for the summer so Carnival does not want to compete with them.

Edited by mississauga

Really hope Dream will go to Long Beach with Vista replacing her in NOLA and Horizon replacing Vista in Miami.

Don't know if Dream might have a to Large capacity for Long Beach tough.

Also, is it true that Vista's Europe season wasn't a big succes? That would surprise me.

Really hope Dream will go to Long Beach with Vista replacing her in NOLA and Horizon replacing Vista in Miami.

Don't know if Dream might have a to Large capacity for Long Beach tough.

Also, is it true that Vista's Europe season wasn't a big succes? That would surprise me.

While I have heard rumors on a Conquest class ship going west, I have never heard anything about Vista going to New Orleans. I am also not sure the LB could support a Dream class ship, booking wise.

Edited by jimbo5544

I could never understand how Galveston can support so many large ships, but Southern California (and really the whole West Coast) cannot.

Well there certainly is history there. When Carnival had the (at the time brand new) Splendor there, there was the swine flu thing going on and the Splendor did have an accident, and there was the safety issue with some of the Mexican ports. CA was having issues as well (economy).

Fact is they had to discount (significantly)a brand new ship to fill it. On the flip side, they have not had any problems in Galveston. One could argue it is their most profitable port. So much so, they added another ship (and who knows where Horizon will go when she comes over).

Lastly, I think CA sailing would do better if there was some variety....maybe north bound?

Edited by jimbo5544

Well there certainly is history there. When Carnival had the (at the time brand new) Splendor there, there was the swine flu thing going on and the Splendor did have an accident, and there was the safety issue with some of the Mexican ports. CA was having issues as well (economy).

Fact is they had to discount (significantly)a brand new ship to fill it. On the flip side, they have not had any problems in Galveston. One could argue it is their most profitable port. So much so, they added another ship (and who knows where Horizon will go when she comes over).

Lastly, I think CA sailing would do better if there was some variety....maybe north bound?

i think it has more to do with the west cost being limited where they can go. however ships sailing out of Galveston have much more options. There was talk a couple years ago of Carnival developing a port on the west coast in Mexico. I don't know what ever happened to that idea. It would have been like Grand Turk or Amber Cove.

i think it has more to do with the west cost being limited where they can go. however ships sailing out of Galveston have much more options. There was talk a couple years ago of Carnival developing a port on the west coast in Mexico. I don't know what ever happened to that idea. It would have been like Grand Turk or Amber Cove.

Ahhh, was that the one way up in the baha south of Arizona?

Sent from my iPhone

• 1 month later...

Anyone have any intel on when Splendor will actually be leaving? There still isn't anything open for booking past 12/31/2018. I was hoping for a February or March 2019 sailing since the press releases have said "late 2019", but her last drydock was in March 2016.

Vista 3 is due from Fincantieri on 10/31/2019 per Carnival Cruise Italia on the large social networking site we can't link to.

Anyone have any intel on when Splendor will actually be leaving? There still isn't anything open for booking past 12/31/2018. I was hoping for a February or March 2019 sailing since the press releases have said "late 2019", but her last drydock was in March 2016.

Vista 3 is due from Fincantieri on 10/31/2019 per Carnival Cruise Italia on the large social networking site we can't link to.

That is a pretty odd date, so much for a season in Europe......