Carnival Splendor transferring to P&O

tidecat

I also think it's hard to get ships to sail full from California. Princess doesn't seem to have that problem, but Carnival sure does. Different demographic? I'd be very surprised if we got even a Conquest class ship on the west coast due to the number of available berths. My biggest fear would be a Fantasy class ship taking over the Mexican Riviera cruises with a seasonal ship cruising through the Panama Canal for Hawaii. I love the Fantasy class, but not for longer cruises.

Pepto Bismol pink, here we come!

Probably the colour scheme will change to Vegemite bro

I also think it's hard to get ships to sail full from California. Princess doesn't seem to have that problem, but Carnival sure does. Different demographic? I'd be very surprised if we got even a Conquest class ship on the west coast due to the number of available berths. My biggest fear would be a Fantasy class ship taking over the Mexican Riviera cruises with a seasonal ship cruising through the Panama Canal for Hawaii. I love the Fantasy class, but not for longer cruises.

Pepto Bismol pink, here we come!

Probably the colour scheme will change to Vegemite brown to reflect its new home port. ;)

Edited by cruise pup

I am not John Heald. I guess I should change my signature to something else; on another board I actually set it once to "This is not a signature", which was fun for a while.

I never had a Galaxy Note 7 either.

some people don't understand sarcasm these days. Kudos to you for breaking this story last night to us here on cruise critic.

some people don't understand sarcasm these days. Kudos to you for breaking this story last night to us here on cruise critic.

Right? Someone thought they had the scoop on the millennium and came screaming over to tell us what we already knew. :rolleyes:

Next they will be back to defend themselves.

Edited by Je Souhaite

• Administrators
I am not John Heald. I guess I should change my signature to something else; on another board I actually set it once to "This is not a signature", which was fun for a while.

I like the 'This is not a signature' better myself. Thanks.

LauraS

I just cant imagine Carnival tripling th size/making huge investment in Long Beach only to have a couple small fantasy class ships. There is obviously go into be something to replace the Splendor and Miracle.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

WC has rep for not filling up large ships at good price so dont think a brand new ship comes there.

Maybe conquest class

WC has rep for not filling up large ships at good price so dont think a brand new ship comes there.

Maybe conquest class

I disagree with this. The 14 day Alaska cruise is crazy expensive. The WC used to have 2 spirit class and a fantasy class plus Royal Caribbean and Norwegian for years. The Splendor was debuted on the WC during the height of the recession, of course it had problems filling up at good prices.

We were so happy to have the Splendor back in Long Beach and hoping it was for good, i guess we will enjoy the 3 cruises we have book on her for 2018. Splendor never has a home.:mad:

We have one of the last few cruises booked for 2018.

It will be our second Splendor cruise. For the record, I like the pink. I think it's pretty. DH does not. :)

My guess is that we will get a Conquest type ship here. With the strong PCL market and 2 Fantasy classes here, I just don't see a bigger ship.

NCL has totally pulled out for 2018-19. (excluding Alaska, I think RCI has too.)

Patti

Since Carnival is nearly doubling the size of the current facility in Long Beach I think they are planning to put a bigger ship there. Keep in mind the Splendor sailed out of that terminal with no problem and is slightly bigger than the Conquest class. Since Vista III will carry roughly 60% more passengers this only makes sense. The Mexican Riviera has been a solid market for Carnival and with the expansion of one or two ports it could reignite even more interest in the region.

The Mexican Riviera has been a solid market for Carnival and with the expansion of one or two ports it could reignite even more interest in the region.

Only problem is that itinerary pales in comparison with the Caribbean routes. Even the water is dark black. Repeat cruisers are hard to come by. Mexico has gotten a bit rough. The only jewel left is Cabo.

I disagree with this. The 14 day Alaska cruise is crazy expensive. The WC used to have 2 spirit class and a fantasy class plus Royal Caribbean and Norwegian for years. The Splendor was debuted on the WC during the height of the recession, of course it had problems filling up at good prices.

It is very expensive as it is a once in many year type cruise. As a matter of fact we booked it when it first came out before it got that expensive.

In general for cruises to mexico prices are rather low.

I loved both of my cruises on Splendor. My last minute cruise to Canada from New York was a blast, and when I cruised the Caribbean, I had a Spa cabin. I really liked the Spa area, and I enjoyed the middle pool being covered with the open aft pool. I felt there was more deck space on the Splendor than Glory, Liberty and Freedom. Her "pink donuts" are hyped up much more than they need to be, it really isn't that bad. I have wanted to sail the Mexican Riviera sometime soon, so this might prompt me to book a cruise on her from Long Beach to say goodbye. Lots of great memories on Splendor.

P&O is surely getting a great ship! :)

It is very expensive as it is a once in many year type cruise. As a matter of fact we booked it when it first came out before it got that expensive.

Taxes and fees paid to N American ports are the big killer and twice the amount charged by Mexican ports. This is one reason why WC cruises are a hard seller without relying on discount to fill the ship.

Can't believe Splendor is leaving the fleet, very unexpected as she's not a bad ship and very unique compared to the Conquest class. It will be interesting to see what changes P&O will do to her when they acquire her. My biggest question is what's gonna happen with the funnel [emoji23].

It'll also be very interesting to see who'll replace Splendor in Long Beach, I'm hoping we get at least a Conquest class such as the Glory or Valor, I think they'd be great ships for the Mexican Riviera. I'm definitely going to have to sail on Splendor in 2018 from Long Beach before she leaves. [emoji24]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Alexv500

My biggest question is what's gonna happen with the funnel [emoji23].

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They'll most likely chop off the fins like they did with the Jubilee some years back, the rest of the fleet has that style of funnel.

982297.jpg

Again I will disagree. I see miracle cruises often going for much more than many equivalent length Caribbean cruises. If they were rock bottom I wouldn't have a problem justifying booking them.

Since Carnival is nearly doubling the size of the current facility in Long Beach I think they are planning to put a bigger ship there. Keep in mind the Splendor sailed out of that terminal with no problem and is slightly bigger than the Conquest class. Since Vista III will carry roughly 60% more passengers this only makes sense. The Mexican Riviera has been a solid market for Carnival and with the expansion of one or two ports it could reignite even more interest in the region.

i thought it is the current lease holders of the Long Beach terminal who are doing the upgrade. Maybe CCL has some financial participation. In any case, my guess is that West Coast bookings for the Splendor are not up to CCL's expectations.

We sailed on Splendor five times when it was on the West Coast and are looking forward to it short term return.

Another scenario might be that the Vista 3 could be headed for the China market. The Splendor was originally going there, but since RC, NCL and Princess are all sending new builds there. Maybe Carnival wants to keep up. China is the fastest growing market in the world right now. They could then either bring the spirit back or deploy it permanently to Aussie. Just speculating.

Edited by fyrmnjim