Meat and potatoes husband

blambition

I just booked our specialty dining times for our cruise on the Marina. The very first night we are booked to eat at Jacques, and I am already concerned that my husband might starve LOL Can he simply order a plain steak well done, with mashed potatoes as a main entrée? Yes he's one of those that wants everything cooked well done including an end Prime rib, he will order his steak cooked or as he might say massacred. I am more concerned for our dining in a French restaurant, and in Red Ginger. He has been a sport and told me to go ahead and make the dining reservations, saying he will find something to eat, but of course I want him to be happy. The only vegetables that would touch his plate would be a potato, or possibly a salad!

I on the other hand I am looking forward to trying many different items, I know it will be hard for me to decide what to order.

We actually already have a second Oceania cruise booked on the Regatta for about six weeks after we return from the cruise!

If nothing else I know I can fill him up during the day on milkshakes, hamburgers and fries![emoji4]

Hopefully I can get reassurance that he can get plain food, in the nice dining rooms for evening meals.

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don't worry at all, all the restaurant foods are cooked to order and can be simplified. I delete the frog legs from steak, ask for sauces on the side, delete cheese, etc.

Red ginger has fabulous beef and chicken skewers, tenderloin and rice mixtures that I don't modify at all.

The Grand dining room always available section has divine herb rotisserie chicken, delicious steaks, salads, pork. Tell him to look for peppercorn steak.

I was raised in a meat and potatoes household but I'm proud to say my palate has expanded significantly over the years. I'm eating terrific food on Oceania and tasting new things every day and really look forward to the menus.

I'm a meat & potatoes husband. I ate at all the specialits restuarant and actually tried other things. Love Jaques, followed by Red Ginger. He will enjoy his food. My beloved did continue to push me to just try it, as I am sure you will.

I have looked at the menus, and have decided he will most likely never starve! I always feel badly when I don't see much in the way of appetizers that I could get him to order, especially when there are four or five that I would love, but not have room for! I can always count on him ordering a Caesar salad if it is on the menu. He does not eat fish at all or shellfish. Once in a blue moon he might order chicken, although he would eat skewered chicken in Red Ginger so that is good news. As long as he can get a plain steak in any of the venues, we will be good. He does not like sauces, but, actually something like a steak, possibly a pork chop, or turkey.

I personally am looking forward to things like lamb chops, lobster, and crab yum!!!

Would not waste one of my specialty bookings on the first night. Most people don't book the specialties for Night #1. If you go to MDR, you will likely be offered the opportunity to dine in one of the specialties that evening. On a recent cruise, we were offered Polo the first night, as were many other guests. Move your specialty reservation at Jacques for later in the cruise.

Thank you Sny I just moved our restaurant reservations for Jacques to the second night! Actually we are going to do a meet and greet with other passengers for sail away, which could turn into us dining with some of the passengers in the main dining room. I hadn't even thought of that idea! It would will be fun to meet some of our fellow passengers!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was just getting ready to recommend the Bulgogi steak as well for your Red Ginger evening.

Caveat: I strongly recommend requesting the steak (it will be a ribeye cut) WITHOUT the Bulgogi sauce. It is extremely strong and pungent.

See you on the cruise blambition!!!

Edited by What A Market

I have no idea what kind of sauce that is, but I am sure we will order it! Perhaps we can get the sauce on the side

If you like teriyaki sauce, there's a good chance you'll like Bulgogi. They're not identical, but there's a "family" relationship between teriyaki (Japanese) and Bulgogi (Korean).

A thoroughly authentic Bulbogi sauce will take its sweetness from pears or apples, but a more convenient version, like the one I've linked, uses sugar.

There's one thing wrong with your plan to ask for sauce on the side. The meat is marinated in the sauce and, then, grilled. It is not an enhancer sauce added afterwards.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/100606/beef-bulgogi/

Just remind yourself that Oceania's restaurants will whisk away a dish that does not please you and you can request a different choice. As a result, there's almost no risk in trying something unfamiliar.

Thank you Pet Nit Noy, I did take a look at it online, and came to the conclusion that we would most likely enjoy the taste of it! I did notice that it was a marinade, when I was reading the recipes online. I'm glad you mentioned that it was similar to a teriyaki sauce. That gives me much more confidence. I'm sure as you mention, if we really do not like it they would replace it with something else. I just hate to be one of those people to order something and then, not eat it. I put us down to share our table in all of the specialty restaurants! From what I have read it seems especially nice to share at Red Ginger. We enjoy meeting new people, so a table for 4 to 6 would be wonderful.

Tom, we are looking forward to meeting you and Heidi on the ship!

Thank you Pet Nit Noy, I did take a look at it online, and came to the conclusion that we would most likely enjoy the taste of it! I did notice that it was a marinade, when I was reading the recipes online. I'm glad you mentioned that it was similar to a teriyaki sauce. That gives me much more confidence. I'm sure as you mention, if we really do not like it they would replace it with something else. I just hate to be one of those people to order something and then, not eat it. I put us down to share our table in all of the specialty restaurants! From what I have read it seems especially nice to share at Red Ginger. We enjoy meeting new people, so a table for 4 to 6 would be wonderful.

A word about sharing.

It's a wonderful concept and works well with 6 to 8 people. It also helps if you know those people and are very flexible as you never know what you will like and how many other people will like that dish.

Conceivably your husband will only like one dish - very likely by your description - and if 6 other people will also like that dish, your husband may go hungry :D. Of course, he can order that dish all to himself as well.

Perhaps best to just order for him while others at the table might share, if willing.

I actually only heard about ordering extra dishes in Red Ginger to share not the other specialty restaurants. I may not have made myself clear, I meant to say that we like the idea of sharing the table to meet new people. I don't mind the idea of sharing dishes possibly in an Asian restaurant, but I don't expect to be sharing meals with people we just met. I do want us to share conversation, and really look forward to that LOL

From what I have read it seems especially nice to share at Red Ginger. We enjoy meeting new people, so a table for 4 to 6 would be wonderful.

Sharing a table is nice but we have never tried sharing the food

My DH is picky & sometimes will order extra vegetables to fill him up but that may not work for your DH ;)

LHT28 my husband would eat an extra dessert before he would eat vegetables LOL, I'm sure it would be healthier for him if he would order the vegetables[emoji3]

LOL

My Mr Picky would eat the extra dessert too

I actually only heard about ordering extra dishes in Red Ginger to share not the other specialty restaurants. I may not have made myself clear, I meant to say that we like the idea of sharing the table to meet new people. I don't mind the idea of sharing dishes possibly in an Asian restaurant, but I don't expect to be sharing meals with people we just met. I do want us to share conversation, and really look forward to that LOL

Sorry - I misunderstood you.

I thought you meant sharing dishes in Red Ginger (which is fun) rather than sharing tables :)

Enjoy your cruise and the wonderful food on Oceania.

This thread perfectly illustrates why questions regarding quality of food are so subjective. Some people like bland food, the blander the better. Others enjoy the spices and sauces that go along with many of the cultural dishes. When viewing comments from people you've never meet, you have no history as to their likes and dislikes.

I was on a river boat cruise to China earlier this year. A couple of the fellow cruisers only wanted bland. We would be taken out to great (imo) Chinese restaurants and served incredible meals, but those two bitched the entire cruise and would only eat the rice. No spices, no sauces, and heaven forbid if garlic even passed through the kitchen! One came back and bashed, here on CC, the river cruise company over its food. Not once, in all those bashings did she ever admit that perhaps she was part of the problem and would only eat ultra bland!

Food and wine quality discussions, along with dress code questions are best dodged on these forums! :eek: