scubacruiserx2

Roatan from the ship

IMG_712820Stitch-001_zps3akeccxf.jpg

e433e9db-2191-47b6-9d20-81e7c38d851b_zps7t5l4bzs.jpg

The carpet was saturated from the rain

DSC0904220Stitch-001_zpsvyxrm4o2.jpg

What a day for a daydream

IMG_7136_zps0twiu4ju.jpg

And like Cozumel , you must walk through a store . No dogs here but be careful on the marble floor - it's slick if your shoes are wet !

IMG_7143_zpsfs5wn5xs.jpg

Edited by scubacruiserx2

Because we were not using the Princess shore excursion for diving , like we did the last time , we had to walk thru the compound and up a hill to exit . And don't you know , it poured rain !

DSC09080_zps8qyexdtk.jpg

There were others going from the cruise ship and as soon as we met our ride we were off for a 35 minute ride to West End .

DSC09079_zpse5iiyk9y.jpg

I sometimes feel like we are in a time warp when we come here . I wonder why ?

DSC09078_zpsoaqkbw4v.jpg

After walking through the dive shop we were at their private beach

DSC09075-002_zpsiu2as99h.jpg

Soon after , we were ready to go diving !

DSC0907120Stitch-001_zpss1yxoxnr.jpg

It says Winner 2... down the bottom, so who knows.

Coincidently, West Bay Beach was #9 as best beaches in the world in 2016.:D

I pulled up the photos

DSC09077_zpsdv2zmi0c.jpg

and cropped them .

DSC09077-001_zpstmpsebkr.jpg

DSC09078-001_zpsyubqvf9d.jpg

and Voila ! , got the answer . Tita's Pink Seahorse : https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g303875-d2587584-Reviews-Tita_s_Pink_Seahorse_Bar-West_End_Roatan_Bay_Islands.html

Thanks guys , great question . Note the beer can Christmas Tree !!! :eek:

Good work.:D

Thanks for clearing that up. Also, thanks for identifying the beer can Christmas tree. :)

Thank you for putting me on the trail :)

We also saw a beer bottle Christmas tree ( no photo ) on the way . It's to see that they re purpose and reuse their Christmas decorations . :cool:

I suppose in some ways they have too re-purpose everyday items.

Cozumel is much larger ( 8x in sq.miles ) than Roatan and is only 12 miles from the mainland while Roatan is 40 miles from the mainland . And with very few cruise ships , they do have very limited resources .

With our dive master from Norway , and another couple , we were ready to head out to dive .

PICT0387_zpsuv90fjhq.jpg

With few divers here ( especially the cruise ship variety ) the reefs are healthy , shallow and close to shore . But with no currents to help clean the water and the overcast skies , the visibility was down and the water looked green .

PICT0402_zpsk4vk8ytf.jpg

I also experienced some strobe malfunctions ( but fortunately , none of the wardrobe variety ) . But when it worked you can see color like this Lion fish and sponges .

PICT0403_zpszw8xwgbc.jpg

And this Tiger Grouper with a school of Creole Wrasse .

PICT0405_zps3hodygo3.jpg

We did see a lot Remora like the one attached to a snapper and next to a turtle in this video :

And the 2 large Remora on the turtle

a9db6b30-8f8e-479b-9c9c-6803f2e9759b_zpsngnubvtu.jpg

Because of the close proximity of the reefs , we could come back to the dive shop for a snack or a drink . We went to Ronny's Barefoot Bar which had very good conch balls ( fritters ) .

ronnys%20barefoot%20bar_zps1hvxwdmr.jpg

Love the way the colours have come through on the lion fish and sponges.

I use a cheapo underwater camera that cost me $60 from ALDI (supermarket) and everything is tinted with the blues and greens but then I only snorkel and the occasional dive down (maybe 5-10m max).

Love the way the colours have come through on the lion fish and sponges.

I use a cheapo underwater camera that cost me $60 from ALDI (supermarket) and everything is tinted with the blues and greens but then I only snorkel and the occasional dive down (maybe 5-10m max).

Thank you Mic the strobe brings out the colors ( red , yellow and orange ) at depth with the still photos , but not for videos . At the depth that you go you can still see the colors , so shallow is better for photos . My new camera is rated for 61 m , but we usually stay less than 40 to minimize air consumption . :) :D

Thank you Mic the strobe brings out the colors ( red , yellow and orange ) at depth with the still photos , but not for videos . At the depth that you go you can still see the colors , so shallow is better for photos . My new camera is rated for 61 m , but we usually stay less than 40 to minimize air consumption . :) :D

I think I really need to invest in a better underwater camera for future adventures.

I will let Rosie know and remind her that my birthday is in May.:D

Sorry if I have missed your explanation in previous posts, I am loving your images. What colour filters do you use and when do you change them due to depths.

Any other tips for under water photos for us one in a while cruisers would be appreciated.

Edited by Dobby_The_Ship_Elf