Any reason to print and bring luggage tags?

There is NO REASON to do a craft project! The porters have real luggage tags. Most folks on here are really "hands on" as far as their plans go...so they laminate, tape, staple, etc....there is no need to do that!

How do you know the luggage tags that are printed aren't the "real" ones and the porter's have the "fake" ones? :D

Why is printing luggage tags a hassle? The only reason a person would not have them is they are flying, and if flying, and staying overnight, than the front desk will stable if for you on your way out.

The same reason that asking a porter for tags is a 'hassle' or 'waste of time' to others.

And 'the only reason' isn't if they are flying. There is another reason - they simply don't want to print them.

Also, if flying in the same day, there is no hotel front desk to ask. And wouldn't asking at the front desk involve waiting in line if there are others there before you? Or do hotel front desks have a line specifically for stapler requests? You're willing to wait in line at a hotel. The OP has decided they're willing to wait in line at the port. No right or wrong, just preference.

The same reason that asking a porter for tags is a 'hassle' or 'waste of time' to others.

There is another reason - they simply don't want to print them.

. No right or wrong, just preference.

Right, it's just a matter of how you were raised, and your preference at this point in your life.

Some like to have everything done for them, some just prefer to be self reliant.

I myself print my own luggage tags, bring my own pile of dollar bills for tipping (often said here "go to the service desk and get change"), and find my own wifi in ports.

I can read signs as well as talk to locals, so I have no need to ever bother crew to ask about how I can intrude on their free time by following them to wifi locations.

We have never printed the tags, when Royal stopped sending them, we started getting them from the porters. Have not had a problem, it takes maybe 30 seconds, and we seem to get our luggage really early. At least we are always unpacked before muster drill.:D

Sherri:)

At some ports you have to go to a podium on the curb and wait to have your name verified on a manifest, before you receive the blank luggage tags. I am too impatient to wait while they misspell my name several times before finding me on the list, so I take 30 seconds at home and print my own. Not a big deal.

Right, it's just a matter of how you were raised, and your preference at this point in your life.

Some like to have everything done for them, some just prefer to be self reliant.

I myself print my own luggage tags, bring my own pile of dollar bills for tipping (often said here "go to the service desk and get change"), and find my own wifi in ports.

I can read signs as well as talk to locals, so I have no need to ever bother crew to ask about how I can intrude on their free time by following them to wifi locations.

Nothing to do with my point, but ok. :rolleyes:

What I've done to attach our printed RCI tags when flying in the day of the cruise is to use our airline luggage tags as tape to join the ends together of our printed by us cruise tags. Remove the airline tag by pulling the ends apart and remove all of the backing paper. Don't overlap the ends as one would do when stapling the cruise tag but simply butt the ends together using the end of airline tag tape underneath or inside the loop to hold the two ends together. Doing this will tape both sides of each end, providing a much stronger joint. Then continue to wrap several layers of the airline provided tape around the cruise tag ends to complete the joining together.

Note it's not possible to hand rip the airline tag tape so one needs to cut it or simply continue the wrap around until all the airline tag tape is used up.

Also if the airline tag tape is cut correctly you can have your last name on it showing on the visible side of the joint of the cruise tag. ;)

Edited by robtulipe

What I've done to attach our printed RCI tags when flying in the day of the cruise is to use our airline luggage tags as tape to join the ends together of our printed by us cruise tags. Remove the airline tag by pulling the ends apart and remove all of the backing paper. Don't overlap the ends as one would do when stapling the cruise tag but simply butt the ends together using the end of airline tag tape underneath or inside the loop to hold the two ends together. Doing this will tape both sides of each end, providing a much stronger joint. Then continue to wrap several layers of the airline provided tape around the cruise tag ends to complete the joining together.

Note it's not possible to hand rip the airline tag tape so one needs to cut it or simply continue the wrap around until all the airline tag tape is used up.

Also if the airline tag tape is cut correctly you can have your last name on it showing on the visible side of the joint of the cruise tag. ;)

And my wife accuses me of over thinking things!

I like to print and put my luggage tags in a plastic holder.Some years ago during a storm we used the paper tags, there was lots of wind, rain and humidity, the tags disappeared from our luggage and we had to try to find our luggage later. Now I prefer to have strong luggage tags.

We did one year of the printed passes with staples before we ordered the plastic tag holders. We'll never go back. We fly in the night before our cruises and either get the front desk of the hotel to print the tags for us, or just bring them in our carry ons down to whatever port we're leaving from and attach the day of.

I print them at home and put them on our luggage the morning of our Cruise at the hotel we are saying at. Just the way I prefer to do it.

Me, too. Just borrow a stapler or tape from the front desk! Easy peasy!:D

Reading that makes my head hurt......:rolleyes:

You dont have to print them yourself .... but I would highly recommend doing it if you are leaving out of San Juan.

I was there last January and the port can be a bit of an unorganized mess. They dont have porters coming out to your car like they do in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. So you have to take your bags and go wait in line for the porter to give you them, and then get in line to check in. If you already have the tags you can drop the bags and go check in.

Also if the airline tag tape is cut correctly you can have your last name on it showing on the visible side of the joint of the cruise tag.

Reading that makes my head hurt......:rolleyes:

English is the second language I learned to speak but what I wrote above doesn't appear to be too complicated to me, IMHO.

Instruction just for you. :rolleyes:

Simply remove backing from just used airline tag and use it as tape to attach ends of cruise tag to make loop which preferably is around luggage handle. Also make sure sticky side is against cruise tag. :D

Edited by robtulipe

English is the second language I learned to speak but what I wrote above doesn't appear to be too complicated to me, IMHO.

Instruction just for you. :rolleyes:

Simply remove backing from just used airline tag and use it as tape to attach ends of cruise tag to make loop which preferably is around luggage handle. Also make sure sticky side is against cruise tag. :D

Video please! :D

We sail in a couple of weeks from Sydney and have not bothered Checkin online or anything like that...let alone print anything. How much extra Hassle are we really got to expect because of this omission?

Check-in will take a few more minutes than if you had completed the online check-in.

Check-in will take a few more minutes than if you had completed the online check-in.

Hi Bob, thanks. Don't get me wrong I don't much like queuing but being 'processed' just before we get on the ship is the Most exciting bit for us. So, it sounds like we won't miss-out on too much bring Luddites?

Hi Bob, thanks. Don't get me wrong I don't much like queuing but being 'processed' just before we get on the ship is the Most exciting bit for us. So, it sounds like we won't miss-out on too much bring Luddites?

No, you should not miss out on anything. I don't know how terminal security works in Sydney, but here in the US, if you don't have a boarding pass, there is a delay in entering the cruise terminal while they look up your name on the manifest.

Thank you for your replies!

I think I will just get them at the port. Looks like they have good tag holders on Amazon for $8 for an 8 pack, but they fit best for RCCL and Celebrity, which we don't cruise often. I'd get those if we did.

Seems to me the hassle of printing/folding/borrowing stapler is slightly bigger than waiting a bit longer at the port.

We're drop luggage and go types so we bought these on Amazon. No luggage tag origami required. We print and cut them ahead of time and slip them into the holders before leaving the hotel. I'm not much for standing in that mayhem waiting for the porter to write them out.

Amazon Luggage Tag Holders

luggagetags_zps775huziy.jpg

I'm sorry but this is a ridiculous question. I know the price of one staple will set you back thousands of dollars. The cruise line personnel always ask if I have my tags and I do. I print two for each bag and put them in the holders I bought on Amazon, 8 for $8 and I have been on the same two holders for two years. I put them in my purse till I get to port. By the time the porter gets a tag, you hold up the line filling out your tag making everyone in line behind you furious, you will have to tip the porter at least $5. Price of a staple snd reusable tag holders and tipping the porter $5 every time, do what you want, you will anyway. Oh and my tag holders fit Carnival, Celebrity, Princess, NCL and Royal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by firegal2539

We sail in a couple of weeks from Sydney and have not bothered Checkin online or anything like that...let alone print anything. How much extra Hassle are we really got to expect because of this omission?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just curious why you don't want to do the online checkin ahead of time, and/or print your luggage tags? The hassle you might get at pier is more than offset by the small hassle of printing your setsail pass and luggage tags ahead of time. Of course, JMO.