New England fall foliage, any advice?

flying-dutchman

On 20 October 2017 we're cruising from Boston, prior to the cruise we want to see the fall foliage. Does anyone have any suggestions where to go and where to stay?

We can leave on Saturday (14 Oct), so we should have plenty of days to see the foliage. Please consider that we are traveling with a young kid (1y and 9 months at that time), so preferably do things on a slow pace.

Hope to hear some great advises. Our budget for accommodation is +/- 120 USD per night. I found out that the hotel prices in Boston the night before (oct 19) the cruise are super expensive!

Thanks,

Jasper

On 20 October 2017 we're cruising from Boston, prior to the cruise we want to see the fall foliage. Does anyone have any suggestions where to go and where to stay?

We can leave on Saturday (14 Oct), so we should have plenty of days to see the foliage. Please consider that we are traveling with a young kid (1y and 9 months at that time), so preferably do things on a slow pace.

Hope to hear some great advises. Our budget for accommodation is +/- 120 USD per night. I found out that the hotel prices in Boston the night before (oct 19) the cruise are super expensive!

Thanks,

Jasper

Are you renting a car to drive through New England? $120/night is a tough budget for Boston, but doable outside the city if you have a car. The fall foliage is not in Boston.

Fall foilage in New England is a matter of timing - depending on & seasonal weather pattern and locations, they typically peaked by mid October in places like Maine (moving north to south) & New Hampshire. ME, NH and Vermont, along with MA, CT and NY, all have official sites that track & update weekly changes during the foilage season that you can access & plan your drive accordingly.

For mid-October, lower NH is probably still a good possiblity - as is Vermont, our favorite Fall getaway - "mid" state around the Rutland area, up & down along Highway (Rt. 7) is and some of State routes in either direction (east-weste) is where we should drive & go slow, and pull over for those magical colors.

Are you flying into Boston and planning to rent a car for the week, returning it to the airport location to dropoff the rental car, and then take a taxi/shuttle, etc. to the Boston cruise terminal to sail ? Please make sure to plan for & take along a safety infant/child car seat - rentals are available but can be pricey $$ and you are better off bringing your own. Once you are back in the Boston area, you don't really need a car to sightsee in town - city/downtown Boston hotel parking will add another $25 to $30 or more for each 24 hour at the garage, overnight on-street parking are for "permitted" residents only in their zones (138east/Carol can explain this in fine details)

Hotels in the foilage area, whether it's VT, NH, ME or even CT, where there are places to catch the changing colors are priced accordingly = expensive, so your budget is very, very tight - especially for the weekend. Sunday night might be okay & if you fly/land in BOS on a Sunday, might want to just relax, adjust to time zone/jetlag & do a little in-town tourism in Boston (easier to find "free" on-street parking ... we usually park in the Chinatown area, all day for about $15 & that's cheap and walk with comfortable shoes)

Or, stay further out from downtown Boston, where you can find hotels within your budget, likely outside/near Waltham, 20 to 30 minutes west or perhaps north around Woburn, I-95 (major interstate highway) is the big loop. Monday morning - head & follow the trails for Fall foilage (perhaps staying at the same hotel for 2 nights, less unpacking & packing with the child in tow) starting from the north ... moving south or down as that's the direction for the color changes. By Wednesday, you should be in lower NH or VT, or possibly upper CT (on the NY side, the Capital or Albany region & along the Hudson Valley also has scenic parkway views of the foilage ... all depending on the seasonal weather & temperature, etc. - not easy to predict & plan precisely so far in advance) and wrap out in the direction of Boston.

Perhaps 1 more night away from Beantown (BOS) - hotel rates for these 3 nights should be a little lower, depending on the chains/brands & location - but $125 nightly is going to a "challenge" to find ... use Kayak, Tripadvisor & Trivago, along with Priceline & Hotwire to look for specials & last minute deals - book fully refundable rates with any/all available discounts with the chain's online sites directly soon, to lock in the best rates that you are comfortable with.

Cruise is a Friday so you probably want to spend at least part of Thursday to see historic Boston ... perhaps return your rental car early, after getting to your hotel with all the baggages & you will pay $$$ more for that last evening, unless you stay in the outskirt & do more driving to get around.

We drive up to Boston area once or twice a year and been using the Holiday Inn Express in South Boston, about 15 minutes drive from downtown - on Boston Street, behind a major shopping mall with Home Depot, Best Buy & other major retailers & free outdoor parking included + comp'd hot breakfast, typically $200 a night on weekends - relatively nice, clean & comfortable ... next to a Courtyard Marriott. For 10/19 - it's about $215 a night + taxes/fees, everything & anything else closer in town are more, it seemed plus parking fees (which you can avoid if you don't need it for the afternoon/evening by dropping it off)

Long response, sorry - but, that would be one of my game plan if in your shoes ... to give you some ideas of where & how to pull this off. If you fly in on Saturday, maybe sightsee Boston for the weekend first ... return from your foilage journey late on Thursday, stay in the outskirt for a lower rate in the Waltham or Woburn area (or closer if the Bostonian experts can help find a nicer deal with bargain rates for you ;) - they are good at it). HIE link is here.

Thoughts, comments & surely, more questions - part of the fun is planning.

Edited by mking8288

I checked some Boston hotel prices and you are in luck! For Oct 14-16 or Oct 19 Hotwire has some great deals on really good hotels that are $190 or less tax included.

1). Oct 14-16 - 4* Waterfront hotel - $152 ($189 with taxes). This is likely to be the Westin Convention Center. If not, it will likely be the Seaport Hotel or the Renaissance. Close to the "T" - free ride from the airport!

2). Oct 19 - 4* Waterfront Hotel - $156 plus taxes. Probably the same as above. The Westin would be one of the closest Boston hotels to the pier.

3) Oct 19 - 4* Back Bay hotel - $126 plus taxes. Super nice area, but additional costs to get there - public transit would likely involve hauling luggage up or down steps.

If you are interested, you have to make a decision now and book and prepay. These deals will not last. October is high season in Boston because of the fall foliage and all the college activities. IMO there is no risk booking an "unknown" 4* hotel in Boston - it will be a great place with access to the "T". Over the last few years I have given this advice to cruisers many many times, but he who hesitates is lost - you will end up staying at a badly located "dump" of a hotel and paying lots of money.

Two personal experiences:

Last 4th of July I booked a similar deal on Hotwire at an unbelievable price - 2 rooms at $130 each including tax. As I expected it was the Westin. This is a massive elegant hotel attached to the Convention Center. When there is no convention activity, they dump their rooms on Hotwire at great prices for Boston. Our extended family of 6 (DH, DD, and 3 GDG's) had a great time staying there.

Park/sleep/fly (or cruise) hotel - two weeks ago my husband had a need for a hotel with parking before and after a trip to Oregon. I sent him to a popular park/sleep/cruise hotel and he was not a happy camper. It was very difficult to find from the highway, the entrance was difficult to find, and the late night pickup from Logan took forever with no one answering phones. He said the halls were dirty, but the room was clean. I didn't personally stay there, but I did ask him how it compared to a basic Super 8 we stayed in at the Portland Airport. He said there was no comparison - the Super 8 was much much better.

What sleeping arrangements do you need for your child?

mking8288 and Carol, thank you both for your very comprehensive responses! That is the information I was looking for. The Kancamagus Highway that jagsfan mentions looks amazing as well.

We'll be definitely renting a car (with a rented car seat) to see the foliage. Sounds like a good option to stay either one or two nights in Boston, then pick up our car and drive to see the foliage, then head back to Boston and step onboard the cruise on Friday. Or first do the foliage and then see Boston.

mking8288 and Carol, thank you both for your very comprehensive responses! That is the information I was looking for. The Kancamagus Highway that jagsfan mentions looks amazing as well.

We'll be definitely renting a car (with a rented car seat) to see the foliage. Sounds like a good option to stay either one or two nights in Boston, then pick up our car and drive to see the foliage, then head back to Boston and step onboard the cruise on Friday. Or first do the foliage and then see Boston.

Just make sure you swing by Portland, Maine, for some of the best restaurants in the Northeast. :D (I may be biased, but food magazines agree).

Please don't rent a car and plan to park it in Boston. This will cost you an unnecessary $40-$60.

Closer in to Boston I would like to recommend Minuteman National Historical Park in Concord, MA. https://www.nps.gov/mima/planyourvisit/placestogo.htm

The North Bridge area is a good toddler walk. Lots of places to pull off the Battle Road and take a look. Concord Center is easy to walk around and there are a number of museums. Walden Pond is 1.3 miles from Concord Center. If you're interested in this and have questions, post back.

Also, if you're looking for non Boston accommodations the night before the cruise, I can help you with accommodations northwest of Boston in the Burlington area that meet your budget criteria.

Edited by 138east

I have always found New Hampshire to be the most appealing regarding fall foliage. As another poster pointed out, timing is most critical. Every time I have traveled to Lincoln, NH (and the Kancamagus), it has always been past peak :( If that is the case when you visit, the area around Lake Winnipesauke should be brilliant. You just cannot go wrong in NH, in my opinion...and drive not on the interstate but the local well marked roads which are enveloped by the trees and the amazing colors. Enjoy your visit and cruise!

It would be good if you could keep a bit of flexibility for whatever time you want to do your out-of-town foliage trip. Peak colors vary year to year, but with two or three days, by checking on Google you can get a good idea - and depending on how colors are emerging, you could head anywhere north from Boston into southern New Hampshire or southwest into northern Connecticut. Certainly more rural motels would suit your budget, while in-town hotels in Boston would be a stretch. You certainly would not want a rental car while in Boston: a terrible city for driving around, difficult/expensive parking.

It would be good if you could keep a bit of flexibility for whatever time you want to do your out-of-town foliage trip. Peak colors vary year to year, but with two or three days, by checking on Google you can get a good idea - and depending on how colors are emerging, you could head anywhere north from Boston into southern New Hampshire or southwest into northern Connecticut. Certainly more rural motels would suit your budget, while in-town hotels in Boston would be a stretch. You certainly would not want a rental car while in Boston: a terrible city for driving around, difficult/expensive parking.

I totally agree. The time of the peak colors can vary a lot. Oct 15 will probably be too late for northern New Hampshire and Vermont, but OK for parts of Massachusetts and Connecticut. You might want to research the Mohawk Trail (Route 2) - the French King Bridge is a stunning stop when the leaves are turning - http://www.bywayswestmass.com/map-markers/french-king-bridge/

Based on your advises, after landing in Boston we will first go and see the fall foliage and then stay two nights in Boston before the cruise (18-20 Oct).

We booked through Hotwire and got the Sheraton in Back Bay for +/- 300 USD for two nights in total (inc tax), pretty good deal I would say :-)

We will rent a car and pick it up from the airport at arrival and drop it somewhere in Boston (not booked yet) on the night we stay in Boston, so we don't have to park our car in the city.

Ps. Happy new year!

Edited by flying-dutchman

Based on your advises, after landing in Boston we will first go and see the fall foliage and then stay two nights in Boston before the cruise (18-20 Oct).

We booked through Hotwire and got the Sheraton in Back Bay for +/- 300 USD for two nights in total (inc tax), pretty good deal I would say :-)

We will rent a car and pick it up from the airport at arrival and drop it somewhere in Boston (not booked yet) on the night we stay in Boston, so we don't have to park our car in the city.

Ps. Happy new year!

You got a fantastic deal on the Sheraton for two weekday nights in Oct! I had similar luck with Hotwire two years ago during a snow event coming home from a cruise from NJ. The Sheraton is lovely - you will be very happy with it.

Sounds like you now have the start of a great plan.

You got a fantastic deal on the Sheraton for two weekday nights in Oct! I had similar luck with Hotwire two years ago during a snow event coming home from a cruise from NJ. The Sheraton is lovely - you will be very happy with it.

Sounds like you now have the start of a great plan.

Yes, fantastic, especially for that time of year. The Sheraton is adjacent to the Prudential Center with a major transit hub underneath. Back Bay is filled with lovely cafes and shops and very walkable.

After reading this thread, I decided that I had better get on the ball as far as making hotel arrangements for my upcoming cruise in October 2017. I usually never do it this early, but I don't want to pay an arm and leg later if I wait too long.

I went on Hotline and put in my dates (10/4 through 10/8), and I got the same deal that the flying dutchman got! The Sheraton in Backbay for 600 for four nights. I am really happy with this hotel/price, and I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who takes the time to contribute to these threads.

After reading this thread, I decided that I had better get on the ball as far as making hotel arrangements for my upcoming cruise in October 2017. I usually never do it this early, but I don't want to pay an arm and leg later if I wait too long.

I went on Hotline and put in my dates (10/4 through 10/8), and I got the same deal that the flying dutchman got! The Sheraton in Backbay for 600 for four nights. I am really happy with this hotel/price, and I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who takes the time to contribute to these threads.

Another great deal! Thanks for the feedback.

That's great to hear you got the same deal! :)