Princess from New York, which port?

rp23g7

Hey everyone, Just rebooked. a cruise, Princess out of New York, 10/26/17 Caribbean Islander, have to skip Panama Canal next year, Oh Well.

Does anyone know what port Regal leaves from? I looked at the New York Port schedule but it lists Regal leaving for Canada/New England that day.

Just google mapped the cruise terminal and it shows the Queen Mary 2 sitting in Brooklyn

Edited by rp23g7

Our south bound Canada/New England cruise was advertised as docking in Brooklyn but several days before we were to arrive, we were told we were docking at Port Liberty, NJ! At that point we canceled our limo and took the Princess shuttle. Sometimes the best laid plans of men and mice sometimes go astray!

In September of this year we ended at the Brooklyn port as was advertised so it worked out. The Port Authority changes berthing sometimes at the last minute and the ship has to go where they are told.

Brooklyn/Red Hook. It's an excellent facility.

Not sure why Coral said ufortunately.

We enjoy sailing from there.

I prefer the location of Manhattan pier. I have sailed from both and used both as port stops. I prefer to stay at a Manhattan hotel and take the short cab ride to the Manhattan pier (or take a short cab ride from Manhattan pier to sites when a port stop).

I walked around the Red Hook pier once, bad decision.

Edited by Coral

I prefer the location of Manhattan pier. I have sailed from both and used both as port stops. I prefer to stay at a Manhattan hotel and take the short cab ride to the Manhattan pier (or take a short cab ride from Manhattan pier to sites when a port stop).

I walked around the Red Hook pier once, bad decision.

We have sailed from Manhattan a few times and stopped there as a port stop.

We have sailed from Brooklyn many times and have no issues there.

We don't walk anywhere around Red Hook. It's never been good. I wasn't basing my answer on the surrounding area. One can get a car service or cab and go anywhere in the city. A cab to the subway as well. Most cruises leave from Brooklyn.

We have sailed from Manhattan a few times and stopped there as a port stop.

We have sailed from Brooklyn many times and have no issues there.

We don't walk anywhere around Red Hook. It's never been good. I wasn't basing my answer on the surrounding area. One can get a car service or cab and go anywhere in the city. A cab to the subway as well. Most cruises leave from Brooklyn.

Most cruises leave from Manhattan. Most Princess/Cunard leave from Brooklyn. Most RCCL leave from Cape Liberty.

The one year we stopped in Brooklyn as a stop, there really were no cabs present. One had to call for a car/cab or walk to subway station. We were all disappointed we didn't stop in Manhattan as things are "just closer".

Edited by Coral

Most cruises leave from Manhattan. Most Princess/Cunard leave from Brooklyn. Most RCCL leave from Cape Liberty.

The one year we stopped in Brooklyn as a stop, there really were no cabs present. One had to call for a car/cab or walk to subway station. We were all disappointed we didn't stop in Manhattan as things are "just closer".

Thought we were talking about Princess. :confused:

Most cruises leave from Brooklyn.

For the past many years, Princess only uses New York as an embarkation port at least five times a year. Upon relocating from Europe, getting into NY, then usually during the last part of September to the end of October to sail the Can/NE ports, before relocating to the Caribbean for the fall. As far as I know, only Princess and Cunard are contracted to use the Brooklyn port, Red Hook. BUT, again, circumstances can prevail where they would be instructed to use Manhattan. We did dock at Pier 88 when Hurricane Sandy flooded Red Hook.

Just make sure you read your boarding passes, and check before you leave.

Also, if you are flying into NYC or staying at a NYC hotel and car or cabbing it to the port, don't just tell your driver you are going to the "cruise port" you have to tell him Red Hook. If you don't you might just be getting a city tour of Manhattan and a nice amount of $$ on the meter. Just make sure you print out the driving instructions provided by Princess, just in case

Edited by myfuzzy

Brooklyn/Red Hook. It's an excellent facility.

Not sure why Coral said ufortunately.

We enjoy sailing from there.

She probably tried to use a car service that was non-union for pickup. The guy controlling the middle aisles will yell at you to get out of there. Need to get picked up just beyond the terminal in the outer loop.

She probably tried to use a car service that was non-union for pickup. The guy controlling the middle aisles will yell at you to get out of there. Need to get picked up just beyond the terminal in the outer loop.

No I did not. I just find it more inconvenient. I have used both piers multiple times.

As far as I know, only Princess and Cunard are contracted to use the Brooklyn port, Red Hook. BUT, again, circumstances can prevail where they would be instructed to use Manhattan.

Princess/Cunard had part in building the pier.

Red Hook pier is in the middle of nowhere! It was disappointing when Princess moved their ships out there. I loved when they docked in Manhattan. We were on one cruise when it was so unorganized getting off the ship and when we disembarked there was no transportation available except those who had arranged for car services. It was a mess.

Edited by Casey12

Red Hook pier is in the middle of nowhere! It was disappointing when Princess moved their ships out there. I loved when they docked in Manhattan. We were on one cruise when it was so unorganized getting off the ship and when we disembarked there was no transportation available except those who had arranged for car services. It was a mess.

We had ships sailing out of Manhattan for years, we always had taxis lined up for blocks. Manhattan is no different that any other port of embarkation.

We had ships sailing out of Manhattan for years, we always had taxis lined up for blocks. Manhattan is no different that any other port of embarkation.

We stopped in Brooklyn as a port stop and there were no taxis. Thousands left the ship and stood outside that day to find no taxis or cars for hire. No one thought to order a car service for the day. Most walked to the subway station. I met a couple who were mugged walking to the subway.

We stopped in Brooklyn as a port stop and there were no taxis. Thousands left the ship and stood outside that day to find no taxis or cars for hire. No one thought to order a car service for the day. Most walked to the subway station. I met a couple who were mugged walking to the subway.

What a shame.....port stop? I am not familiar with any cruise that uses Brooklyn as a "stop" only maybe a B2B, Can/NE with the repo to Florida. It doesn't make sense to me that no cabs were available to the ship, but, if that was your experience, I can't argue. Was this recently? How sad for the couple to be mugged walking to the subway. It certainly doesn't give one encouragement to use Brooklyn as either a stop or embarkation, does it.

We stopped in Brooklyn as a port stop and there were no taxis . Thousands left the ship and stood outside that day to find no taxis or cars for hire. No one thought to order a car service for the day. Most walked to the subway station. I met a couple who were mugged walking to the subway.

In our own experiences, very unusual, unless there was a strike. Taxi lines are across the street from the terminal building entrance/exit.

Edited by easyboy

In our own experiences, very unusual, unless there was a strike. Taxi lines are across the street from the terminal building entrance/exit.

They are definitely there on turnaround days, but maybe they are not aware of when a ship is there as a port stop.

I think Casey12 was referring to Red Hook, not Manhattan, about no cabs being available.

In my opinion and only my opinion....on the subject of no taxis at the pier on a "stop". Ships in port are money, lots of people, lots of money. Ships are BIG, they can be seen for blocks. Any taxi driver that doesn't see the ship... as a paycheck, they much really be stupid for not taking advantage of it. In other words, if any taxi doesn't see the ship and tell their fellow drivers .....shame on them

In my opinion and only my opinion....on the subject of no taxis at the pier on a "stop". Ships in port are money, lots of people, lots of money. Ships are BIG, they can be seen for blocks. Any taxi driver that doesn't see the ship... as a paycheck, they much really be stupid for not taking advantage of it. In other words, if any taxi doesn't see the ship and tell their fellow drivers .....shame on them

You might be surprised how many cab drivers in Brooklyn have no idea where the Red Hook cruise terminal is.

When getting off the nearest subway stop and hailing a cab, the driver had no idea where to go and I had to give him directions.

Another time drivers refused to take us there once they heard where we wanted to go. I learned not to tell the driver where we wanted to go until after we were inside the cab with the doors closed.

Edited by caribill