Australia questions

Also, I just remembered that my mother in law stayed at the Palais Royale at Katoomba earlier this year. She got a really good deal through the company that (sigh) I suppose I can't mention, but Shelley Craft is the brand ambassador for this travel company.

Also, I just remembered that my mother in law stayed at the Palais Royale at Katoomba earlier this year. She got a really good deal through the company that (sigh) I suppose I can't mention, but Shelley Craft is the brand ambassador for this travel company.

I stayed at the Palais Royale in Katoomba about 5 years ago. It was wonderful!

A lot of the hotels in the mountains seem like they're out of The Shining movie which is part of the appeal. I stayed at the Hydro before it was renovated. It was very much like that.

OP, if you prefer, for not much more, you can rent a something much nicer like Crimson Villa in Katoomba.

A lot of the hotels in the mountains seem like they're out of The Shining movie which is part of the appeal. I stayed at the Hydro before it was renovated. It was very much like that.

OP, if you prefer, for not much more, you can rent a something much nicer like Crimson Villa in Katoomba.

Thanks for the reply.

We are a group of 4 adults traveling on a cruise from Hawaii to Sydney in September. We will dock in Sydney on October 10th and will be renting a car. Where can we rent a car from? We will be traveling up to the Blue Mountains and have reservations at the Blue Sisters Motel for 2 nigh's, we are looking for a hotel to stay in on the 12th somewhere between Katoomba and Sydney. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sun 4-ever......

Just a few points......

- it would be MUCH MUCH easier to catch the train up to Katoomba than trying to rent/pick up a car in Sydney (CBD or surrounds). From the dock - there is the train station (Circular Quay) - which you catch to Central (catch from either platform) - and then change upstairs to the Katoomba train.

Reasons why ??

- There are very few places to pick up a rental car in the CBD or near the dock (most car rental places are near the airport).

- Trying to get out of Sydney / CBD ... we have some of the worst roads in Australia, whilst it's a simple journey 'west', you will find that our major 'freeway' heading west will be, by the time you get here, be a TOLLWAY - and the rental companies will try and 'screw' renters for using this road. Sydney CBD is a 'disaster zone' - they are pulling up our major city road for a tram line. Sydney roads are NOT for the faint hearted (and this is coming from someone whom LOVES USA freeways !!). Driving around Sydney isn't like driving in the USA.

- 4 people .. 4 lots of bags... it will be a bit of squeeze.

- train cost vs rental cost of car = easy : OFF PEAK fare (after 9.00am) from Circular Quay to Katoomba is $5.81 one way. 4 people - under $24... try hiring a car for that.

- between Sydney and Katoomba - there really isn't many places to stay (worth staying at - that is !!!)

Edited by shireboi

Although I agree with most of shireboi's points, if set on picking up in the city, there are many city rental outlets on William St, just down from Hyde Park. It's not far away - you could either walk there and pick up or take a taxi, then drive back to the terminal and collect everyone.

As said earlier, I'd also suggest the train, but just pointing out car rental/collection in the city isn't an issue.

Although I agree with most of shireboi's points, if set on picking up in the city, there are many city rental outlets on William St, just down from Hyde Park. It's not far away - you could either walk there and pick up or take a taxi, then drive back to the terminal and collect everyone.

As said earlier, I'd also suggest the train, but just pointing out car rental/collection in the city isn't an issue.

You've a brave man :D

That end of the CBD is a disaster - George Street closed off (and I didn't know that Argyle Street was closed to cars - it's been a while since I was there than last weekend !!).

Then getting there from William Street.. cost of the taxi there will be as much as the Opal fares to Katoomba.....and then leaving the CBD during a lunch time... no left turn.. no right turn.. pedestrians.. Sydney buses....... :eek: ... give me a gun now !!! :p

Welcome to Sydney !!!

(* we'll be training it to Circ Quay on Monday.. less hassles)

Edited by shireboi

Haha, yes a while for that disruption to finish too!

It's not such an issue there though. From William you just turn on to Palmer, on to Macquarie around to Circular quay and pick up. Then up Pitt st, up King and out of there.

As a resident of the northern end of the Sydney CBD, and somebody who works in the city, it's very much business as usual with some minor inconveniences. Yes George Street is mostly closed within the central core but this has never been the best way to head north, south or west in any case. I would advise the OP that, unless they're actually nervous about driving in a city centre, Sydney is no more difficult to get around than most US cities (with the possible exception of Boston...don't get me started on Boston...)

I would suggest jumping in an Uber or an old-fashioned taxi to a rental car company such as Hertz on William Street - or else a train from Circular Quay to Museum followed by a little walk if you're feeling up to it - and the Uber/taxi won't go anywhere near the George Street closure (unless they have no idea where they're going) and neither will you because, by the time you drive out of the car hire place, you'll be past the worst of the roadworks.

Edited by Homerclese

As a resident of the northern end of the Sydney CBD, and somebody who works in the city, it's very much business as usual with some minor inconveniences. Yes George Street is mostly closed within the central core but this has never been the best way to head north, south or west in any case. I would advise the OP that, unless they're actually nervous about driving in a city centre, Sydney is no more difficult to get around than most US cities (with the possible exception of Boston...don't get me started on Boston...)

I would suggest jumping in an Uber or an old-fashioned taxi to a rental car company such as Hertz on William Street - or else a train from Circular Quay to Museum followed by a little walk if you're feeling up to it - and the Uber/taxi won't go anywhere near the George Street closure (unless they have no idea where they're going) and neither will you because, by the time you drive out of the car hire place, you'll be past the worst of the roadworks.

Ah yes, Boston with the infamous big dig.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply.

Burgesst I think you will find that most of the members here live on the east coast because that is where nearly all of the cruising happens in Australia. So I don't think you will get any answers about Perth on this forum (somewhere that's 2000 miles away from me). Try tripadvisor.

Edited by christodan

Burgesst I think you will find that most of the members here live on the east coast because that is where nearly all of the cruising happens in Australia. So I don't think you will get any answers about Perth on this forum (somewhere that's 2000 miles away from me). Try tripadvisor.

Think you have just invented your own stats there. Not remotely reflective of the cruising industry nor the demographics of this forum.

I'm flying into Perth in October to board the Explorer, and soliciting any comments/suggestions about hotels that offer shuttle service to and from the cruise port.

Hotel shuttles are basically not a "thing" in Perth - for the airport - let alone the cruise port in Freo.

The Freo train line between Perth CBD and Freo (30 minute ride) is easily walkable to the cruise port terminal but I will add an addendum of "if you are able bodied, not carrying a ridiculous amount of luggage, and its not a 40c day".

Depending on whether you are choosing to stay in Perth CBD or Freo itself its easy enough to just get a taxi to drop you right at the cruise passenger terminal.

Think you have just invented your own stats there. Not remotely reflective of the cruising industry nor the demographics of this forum.

Oh I think I'm 'remotely' correct with my stats but I'm happy for you to prove me wrong. I have a list of the cruise ships that dock in Sydney and there is at least a different cruise ship in Sydney every day, sometimes two because there is White Bay as well as the OPT over the summer season. Adding up all the times they are docked from September 1, 2015 to March31, 2016 I counted over 260. Can you give me the Perth stats?

Edited by christodan

For Perth / Freo I would recommend a stay at the Esplanade hotel in Freo and then a cab to the cruise terminal. Getting to Freo from the airport is best done by cab as well.

I'd support the recommendation for the Esplanade.

Wow I love all the information you have all passed along. Yes we are still planning on getting a rental car, we have booked The Three Sister's Hotel in Katoomba for 2 nights the Avonmore on the Park which I believe is near Bondi then the Pullman near the Sydney airport. We donb't want to take a train or a bus because we want to be free to come and go as we please, stop if something catches our eye. Both my husband and I are getting an international driver licence so we will be all set with that and I believe the wife from the couple traveling with us is also getting one just to be on the safe side.

You mention the Boston Big Dig and as we are formally from Massachusetts, (moved South to Delaware 2 years ago) we know what a mess that was. My husband likes to drive and has no problem with traffic and he seems to think driving on the opposite side of the road won't be an issue for him. I sure hope he is right.

Anyways I thank you all for your help and suggestions and I am counting the days until our trip. As we will be there in October I believe that is Spring there so I sure hope the weather is warm and sunny.

Your US driver's licence will be sufficient. You will not need an International licence. Years ago we used to get one, but no car rental agency has ever wanted to look at it. They will scan and copy your 'real' driver's licence.

The International drivers permit is needed as it is a translation for those countries where the language is different to the one the licence is in (which is also required).

As a United Nations sanctioned document, an IDP provides identification details in 9 different languages, is a useful form of photo identification and allows you to drive internationally without any further tests or applications.

Edited by MicCanberra