Guarantee Cabin assignment

SoBe2010

Look at the order shown on the deck plans.

Did that, I guess that I may be obtuse, but for a specific example is a VQ better than an VH or vice versa? (I'm really more interested in the nuances in an inside cabin to warrant different letters?)

I'm ready to hear Location, Location, Location - but there are J's on multiple levels and on opposite sides of the ship.

Just curious, because I don't see a difference - an inside is an inside, a verandah is a verandah, right? (I do see nuances in the ocean-views.)

Did that, I guess that I may be obtuse, but for a specific example is a VQ better than an VH or vice versa?
Top to bottom on the Nieuw A: PS,SA,SB,SC,SS,SY,SZ,VQ,V,VA,VB,VC,VD,VE,VF,VH,CQ,C,D,DD,E,F,G,H,HH,IQ,

I,J,K,L,M,MM,N ... and yes, within a given class (e.g. Verandahs) the differences are primarily in location, although the sizes of the balconies come into play also.

Many people don't like high and far forward or aft, so those are VE and VF. The balconies from 4001 to 4042 have steel-wall railings, so they are VH/VF/VE. And so on ...

Edited by jtl513

Is there anywhere that lists the cabin categories in their order for Amsterdam?

(Also when I get my assignment, will it explicitly say the cabin category?)

Are some of the lower rated cabins better quality based on subjectivity? (Lower center better than higher forward as a possible example.)

I booked my first Guarantee & am excited/anxious/wishful/etc.

"Better" is definitely subjective. If motion bothers you, lower center is best and being far forward or aft is "worse". If motion doesn't bother you, aft balconies tend to be larger, which is "better." Some people don't mind obstructed balconies. Looking at a lifeboat for a week or more would drive others crazy. As someone has already said here, if you take a guarantee, make sure that none of the "better" categories is worse in your opinion and make sure you could be happy in the category that you have selected.

I know what I want and I like what I like, so I choose my cabin. I am too type A to wait and wonder. I love that some people enjoy the "game" of checking and waiting and hoping. Your posts are fun to read. But I can't do it. I'm willing to trade the lure of the upgrade for KNOWING. (Did I mention I'm type A???)

I love that some people enjoy the "game" of checking and waiting and hoping. Your posts are fun to read. But I can't do it. I'm willing to trade the lure of the upgrade for KNOWING. (Did I mention I'm type A???)

I'm definitely with you, but I'm only willing to pay for an inside - so "anything" has to be an improvement over that. :) With my luck, I'll still get an inside. :o

• 2 weeks later...

So, I am booked in an SZ guarantee on Eurodam 3/4. Obviously no assignment yet but I noticed a couple of days ago that all available Signature and Neptune suites had all of a sudden disappeared (and there had been several of each) and both classes were showing sold out. So I'm wondering if they have started the upsell process (after which presumably they assign guarantees), or just got to a level where they had few enough left relative to guarantee cabins booked that they had to stop selling them.

I've had mixed experiences with guarantee cabins in the past (mainly on Royal and Celebrity) but I figure with a Signature Suite I'm not going to end up with a bad cabin and might end up with something really good!

... or just got to a level where they had few enough left relative to guarantee cabins booked that they had to stop selling them.
When you see that there are, say, 8 cabins "available" all that really means is that many are not assigned, and there could be 7 guarantees outstanding against them. So one more sale, and suddenly they are all gone. But, if they manage to upsell one of them, then there are once again 7 "available".

... but I figure with a Signature Suite I'm not going to end up with a bad cabin and might end up with something really good!
On the E'dam I would prefer one of the two SZ, 6106 or 6111, over the SY 5001 or 5002. :)

Edited by jtl513

Just got my cabin assignment on 1/29 Kdam sailing.started with my choice of an inside, then went to VF guarantee for Xtra $300; total as I had won a little money😁 ended up with a VB and am very happy!! Cathy

On the E'dam I would prefer one of the two SZ, 6106 or 6111, over the SY 5001 or 5002. :)

Buzzkill!

Anyway, if I recall correctly the only cabins available were in SU and SS, so no handicapped SY's available. SY and SZ were only available as guarantee.

Anyway, if I recall correctly the only cabins available were in SU and SS, so no handicapped SY's available. SY and SZ were only available as guarantee.

So suites are available again on my cruise. There's actually an SZ cabin, 6111. that I don't think was available before. Nothing in SY, 10005 and 10006 in SU and a bunch of SS's.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I got my Eurodam SZ guarantee assignment today, 10 days before the cruise. They gave me an SS, cabin 5091.

We have been assigned the same cabin 5091. In looking at some pictures online I noticed that the balcony is very shallow and also located just above the lifeboats. Were either of these an issue for you? We got the Signature Suite partially because of the increased balcony space it would provide.

Thanks,

George

We have been assigned the same cabin 5091. In looking at some pictures online I noticed that the balcony is very shallow and also located just above the lifeboats. Were either of these an issue for you? We got the Signature Suite partially because of the increased balcony space it would provide.

Thanks,

George

Yes on both counts. I was very disappointed with the balcony. It had foot rests, but you had to sit sideways to use them because the balcony wasn't very deep. And it looked over the lifeboats. The room size was great but not the balcony.

Sorry to have to confirm your negative expectations.

That is exactly what it appeared to be from the pictures. I have requested a room on a higher deck hopefully my request is fulfilled. Thank you very much for your feedback.

George

That is exactly what it appeared to be from the pictures. I have requested a room on a higher deck hopefully my request is fulfilled. Thank you very much for your feedback.

Does HAL change guarantee assignments on request?

Has anyone experienced a "downgrade"? We booked a Neptune Suite on the Oosterdam and at the time of booking there were one Neptune suite available! One week after booking - the last cabin was gone! Four weeks after that there was one Neptune Suite available for 2 days. Since four weeks no Suites are available!

Does HAL change guarantee assignments on request?

It has happened (to me, actually), but is not a sure shot.

One obvious problem would be if there were no cabins left to change you to. Since the guarantees are assigned to late in the process, and after upsells have been completed, there really isn't much left most of the time.

In my case I was assigned a cabin in the category I guaranteed, but in a horrible location. I was reassigned to another cabin in the same category, but better located for my needs.

Has anyone experienced a "downgrade"? We booked a Neptune Suite on the Oosterdam and at the time of booking there were one Neptune suite available! One week after booking - the last cabin was gone! Four weeks after that there was one Neptune Suite available for 2 days. Since four weeks no Suites are available!

This simply means your GTY booking is being locked in. When there were no Neptune Suites available, that meant that includes your booking. When a Neptune came available, most likely someone canceled. It doesn't imply any sort of downgrade.

This simply means your GTY booking is being locked in. When there were no Neptune Suites available, that meant that includes your booking. When a Neptune came available, most likely someone canceled. It doesn't imply any sort of downgrade.

Hi! Thank you! This means that as an example there are 3 GTY-bookings and 3 cabins left - so there is no availability! If one passenger cancels the booking there will be 4 Neptune-suites available (3+1). If one books a Neptune-Suite, there will be no Neptune Suite available (because the remaining suites a blocked by the 3 GTY-bookings). But I can´t understand why there was one suite available before my booking and one week after my booking!

• 5 months later...