travel insurance

tlyoungtn

Hi,

Your medical insurance covers emergency care out of the country but it does NOT cover transporting you back to a USA hospital or G-d forbid transporting your body back if you die!

The price of travel insurance is not high compared to what you might spend in those instances.

You don't have to buy from Carnival if you don't want to do that. You can compare prices on a site like:

http://www.insuremytrip.com if you prefer.

Also you may need trip cancellation insurance unless you have it on your credit card and I think the Carnival policy covers that for any reason. Check to see.

I have a Carnival MasterCard. As long as you pay for your entire trip using the MasterCard you get basic travel insurance on your trip. I mention this because I have come to find out that many credit card companies offer such protections in some form.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi,

Your medical insurance covers emergency care out of the country but it does NOT cover transporting you back to a USA hospital or G-d forbid transporting your body back if you die!

The price of travel insurance is not high compared to what you might spend in those instances.

You don't have to buy from Carnival if you don't want to do that. You can compare prices on a site like:

http://www.insuremytrip.com if you prefer.

Also you may need trip cancellation insurance unless you have it on your credit card and I think the Carnival policy covers that for any reason. Check to see.

Really??? How do you know this? My insurance covers medical evacuation / return of remains, legal fees if arrested in a foreign country, and several other events, all at higher coverage levels than any travel insurance I have ever seen. Credit card will cover cancellation, lost luggage, trip delay -- all that stuff. If I believed the above statement by someone who has absolutely no idea what my insurance policy covers, I would be making a big mistake.

If OP has similar coverage then travel insurance is not necessary. The real answer to the question is to figure out what is covered by your policy, what risk you are willing to take and make the decision.

Looking at policies on the websites such as insuremytrip and others is a good starting point but always check the provider's website once you are ready to purchase. I have seen lower prices for the exact same policy when dealing directly with the company - not often but it does happen.

Really??? How do you know this? My insurance covers medical evacuation / return of remains, legal fees if arrested in a foreign country, and several other events, all at higher coverage levels than any travel insurance I have ever seen. Credit card will cover cancellation, lost luggage, trip delay -- all that stuff. If I believed the above statement by someone who has absolutely no idea what my insurance policy covers, I would be making a big mistake.

If OP has similar coverage then travel insurance is not necessary. The real answer to the question is to figure out what is covered by your policy, what risk you are willing to take and make the decision.

Looking at policies on the websites such as insuremytrip and others is a good starting point but always check the provider's website once you are ready to purchase. I have seen lower prices for the exact same policy when dealing directly with the company - not often but it does happen.

Your medical insurance covers legal fees if arrested? Your medical insurance is very unique.

Most medical insurances are not valid outside of the US. For example, Medicare and Medicaid are not valid and will not reimburse anything occurring outside of the US. I purchase a policy for Mom when she cruises to cover medical and evac. Her Medicare and supplement, while great here in the US, are worthless in Mexico.

My medical insurance will not cover but will reimburse medical expenses incurred globally. I agree that knowing what your medical insurance and credit card cover and then purchasing a gap policy is best for most travelers.

Generally speaking the coverage offered through the cruise line is limited as compared to a policy you can get in your own. Additionally, by purchasing through a site such as insuremytrip +.com you can tailor a policy to cover any gaps from whatever personal coverage or credit card coverages you might have. Check with your medical,insurance and credit card company and see what they cover... then shop for a policymwhich covers any vulnerability (like emergency medical evac) the cruise line policies are very limited coverages and mostly one size fits all....

Your medical insurance covers legal fees if arrested? Your medical insurance is very unique.

Most medical insurances are not valid outside of the US. For example, Medicare and Medicaid are not valid and will not reimburse anything occurring outside of the US. I purchase a policy for Mom when she cruises to cover medical and evac. Her Medicare and supplement, while great here in the US, are worthless in Mexico.

My medical insurance will not cover but will reimburse medical expenses incurred globally. I agree that knowing what your medical insurance and credit card cover and then purchasing a gap policy is best for most travelers.

Depending on which supplement you buy. My Medicare covers foreign travel, part "F". However, we would never travel without some supplemental insurance. Carnival insurance eis a joke compared to Travel Guard on insuremytrip. Emergency evac is the most important, as an evac to your home city could be very expensive.

Depending on which supplement you buy. My Medicare covers foreign travel, part "F". However, we would never travel without some supplemental insurance. Carnival insurance eis a joke compared to Travel Guard on insuremytrip. Emergency evac is the most important, as an evac to your home city could be very expensive.

My apologies, I should have been more clear and said straight or regular Medicare. There are of course supplements that change the coverage.

Wow!! You have a VERY unusual policy if your "medical insurance" covers evacuation and return of remains AND legal fees??? That sounds like travel insurance and not a normal "medical insurance" plan.

I have never seen one that covers legal fees if you are arrested?????? That has nothing to do with "medical insurance".

I'd love to know the name of that insurance policy??

I was talking about typical "medical" insurance.

Yes credit cards can cover many of the travel issues but don't usually cover the evacuation unless you have a very high end Amex card!

Heck our new medical insurance through Obamacare will not even cover us out of the county, let alone out of the country.

If I have a heart attack I will be better off having it out of the country and claiming it on my travel insurance since there is no deductible. The Obamacare policy only allows us 4 visits to a PCP per year and will only pay for anything else AFTER we meet the $8,000 deductible.

We buy Travel Safe insurance for every trip. It is primary insurance so no need to file with our health insurance, only to have it denied, before filing with the travel insurance.

We don't use Carnivals travel insurance. We find we can get higher coverage and better prices else where. If you are USAA members you can insurance through affiliates there. They don't sell travel insurance themselves but they have companies that offer military families discounted travel insurance, that is where we buy ours. Then for medical I go with Geoblue, I've found even if your medical covers out of country (ours has in the past) it's cheaper to buy a Geoblue plan with no deductible and use it if needed than to use my health plan and pay a deductible or co pays.

Wow!! You have a VERY unusual policy if your "medical insurance" covers evacuation and return of remains.

Yes credit cards can cover many of the travel issues but don't usually cover the evacuation unless you have a very high end Amex card!

What's missing here isn't whether the policy covers medical and emergency evacuation. It's for how much?? If it's a credit card travel insurance policy, don't expect high amounts.

The crappy policies from the cruise lines are typically $5000 Medical / $25,000 emergency evac.

Do you think 25K is sufficient coverage to get you back to the US in a medically equipped Lear Jet Air Ambulance from St Maarten or Roatan? Its not.

Do you think $5000 would cover a day or 2 in intensive care in a hospital in Curacao, Belize, Tortola or Barcelona?

Not even close.

Would you insure your $35,000 car with an auto policy that has a $12,000 max payout?

Depending where you are going you should have at minimum $25,000 medical and $100,000 medevac. More if your cruising to Europe or Asia.

Low limit trip insurance from some "no name" insurance provider is very cheap to purchase. Comprehensive trip insurance plans from companies like Travel Guard or Allanz are a little more but at least they will cover your realistic expenses.

And no credit card travel insurance covers cancellations for pre-existing medical conditions.

"Do you think $5000 would cover a day or 2 in intensive care in a hospital in Curacao, Belize, Tortola or Barcelona?

Not even close."

I would do a little research before posting. Spain has socialized medicine and you will not get a bill. I own a boat in Tortola, a friend had an emergency appendectomy and the total out the door price was $350. Another friend had stitches for $25. Some visits to Virgin Gorda clinic are free. Not sure about Curacao, but being a Dutch territory, I would assume it would be free as well. I would not want to be intensive care in Tortola, hence the emergency evac insurance. The U.S is one of the only countries with completely out of control medical prices.

Heck our new medical insurance through Obamacare will not even cover us out of the county, let alone out of the country.

If I have a heart attack I will be better off having it out of the country and claiming it on my travel insurance since there is no deductible. The Obamacare policy only allows us 4 visits to a PCP per year and will only pay for anything else AFTER we meet the $8,000 deductible.

We buy Travel Safe insurance for every trip. It is primary insurance so no need to file with our health insurance, only to have it denied, before filing with the travel insurance.

Too funny.

Blaming your "Obamacare" policy.

What you really mean is the policy you bought through the Affordable Care Act.

You could get better coverage but you have chosen not to to save money.

Want better coverage? Pay for it like everyone else.

Many instances where Carnivals policy would be a good buy.

The policy includes Cancel For Any Reason. 3rd party policies this is an add on cost.

Carnivals policy includes job related coverage. 3rd party policies this is an add on cost.

Carnivals policy is one price for all ages. 3rd party policies prices increase dramatically for certain age groups.

Agree that folks who choose to spend little money for a very high deductible plan will only get care after they spend the deductible portion.

There are choices we all have to make in how we spend our money and that is what you have chosen!

"Obama" didn't force you to buy that plan!

Been on 40+ cruises, insured all of them-never needed it till last our cruise when our airline cancelled flights to Greece and we could not get to the ship. Our insurance (got it on line-not Carnival) is paying us the entire cost of the Mediterranean cruise.

It's not JUST the medical, it is also the flight, baggage, etc. A medical helicopter evake is usually $10,000 to $15,000.

does anyone use carnivals travel insurance? is it worth the money? we have medical insurance that works outside of the country....

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

Travel Insurance are only worth it if you get to use them, with that said, you hope you never do.

Don't view it as something of value but something that you should have in order to protect yourself from the unexpected.

As other indicated, shop around.. Carnival's insurance may or may not be the best for you. If you are young, shop elsewhere. If you are over 55, Carnival provides similar and sometimes better pricing than others and they have better cancellation policies without additional cost.

"Do you think $5000 would cover a day or 2 in intensive care in a hospital in Curacao, Belize, Tortola or Barcelona?

Not even close."

I would do a little research before posting. Spain has socialized medicine and you will not get a bill. I own a boat in Tortola, a friend had an emergency appendectomy and the total out the door price was $350. Another friend had stitches for $25. Some visits to Virgin Gorda clinic are free. Not sure about Curacao, but being a Dutch territory, I would assume it would be free as well. I would not want to be intensive care in Tortola, hence the emergency evac insurance. The U.S is one of the only countries with completely out of control medical prices.

Oh please. I don't have to research the International Health Care Systems and the cost of every single medical procedure in every single country in the world before posting.

And not many people need to rely on trip insurance to cover $25 stitches in Tortola.

I think reasonable people understand the point I was trying to make about having adequate trip insurance to get you to home at any cost to the US in the event of a major medical event.

You can have your family's serious cardio, pulmonary, gastric and aortic medical issues attended to in Spain and Curacao. I'll stick with the US and it's hospitals regardless of out of control prices.

Travel Insurance are only worth it if you get to use them, with that said, you hope you never do.

Don't view it as something of value but something that you should have in order to protect yourself from the unexpected.

As other indicated, shop around.. Carnival's insurance may or may not be the best for you. If you are young, shop elsewhere. If you are over 55, Carnival provides similar and sometimes better pricing than others and they have better cancellation policies without additional cost.

Agree we are in our mid 60's and have been pricing TI. Age definitely makes a difference.

That's all I/we need is in the event of emergency to get home. We always fly in the day before so missing/delayed flights doesn't come into play.

All the quotes on ins. my. Trip. Are much more than Carnival