Best Time to Book - Suite Class

ommthree

Hi All,

I know I'm way ahead of myself, but I wanted to ask while I had it in mind. My wife, son and I are planning to go on a cruise in October 2020 to celebrate my wife finishing her teacher training. We can't do a cruise till then unless it's in high summer, which we don't fancy, so we thought we'd save up and make it a really special holiday when it does come around.

It looks as though Celebrity do a cruise in October in the Western Med which would suit us very well - though obviously we can't be sure that schedules will look the same in 2020.

So my question is simply this: when would be the best time to book a suite for that cruise? Is it cheapest to jump in and book the minute it comes available online, or is there a sweet spot nearer the time to target?

Many thanks for any insights!

Owen.

Hi All,

I know I'm way ahead of myself, but I wanted to ask while I had it in mind. My wife, son and I are planning to go on a cruise in October 2020 to celebrate my wife finishing her teacher training. We can't do a cruise till then unless it's in high summer, which we don't fancy, so we thought we'd save up and make it a really special holiday when it does come around.

It looks as though Celebrity do a cruise in October in the Western Med which would suit us very well - though obviously we can't be sure that schedules will look the same in 2020.

So my question is simply this: when would be the best time to book a suite for that cruise? Is it cheapest to jump in and book the minute it comes available online, or is there a sweet spot nearer the time to target?

Owen.

I would book right away to get the room you want, depending on the cruise, suites can go fast. After that be proactive and look for price decreases which Celebrity will honor, just be careful that you keep all your perks.

Regarding summer cruises- Alaska is absolutely wonderful. Cruised with 3 generations and all agree it was one of our all time best cruises. Of course, we took some awesome excursions, which was a big part of what made it so great!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I would book right away to get the room you want, depending on the cruise, suites can go fast. After that be proactive and look for price decreases which Celebrity will honor, just be careful that you keep all your perks.

The OP is non US so getting those price decreases may not be so easy if they have the same conditions as UK cruisers.

We have recently had 'price promise' for cruises but they finish well before the point where suite room prices may start to drop....On our recent suite bookings, however, prices have all increased significantly in cost...on one European cruise an S1 was going for as much as we had paid for a RS nearer to sail date!

However, totally agree with book early and get exactly what you would like!

I generally book when the new cruises are first released. It only costs the deposit which in the U.S. is refundable if you cancel. Mostof the time I see prices go up from the initial release price. You also get first choice of cabins.

Suite price for April 2017 is now 3 times what we paid in December 2014. And for February 2018 is double what we paid in January 2016.

The only time I've seen a suite price drop was for our Christmas cruise last week. We were then able to move from the S2 assigned with our suite guarantee to a CS with no additional charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi All,

Owen.

I would also recommend booking early as suites have been selling fast since the benefits were increased. You can get an idea by monitoring the 2019 version of the cruise you wish to book for 2020. You can track the availability and price for that cruise to get an idea. The S1s and RSs seem to sell out fast on the longer cruises that I cruise.

Good luck.

Agree with those who say to book once you decide on the cruise/cabin you want. Only time I wouldn't is if you are planning another cruise in the near future prior to the one you are interested in. Then book while on board for more discounts.

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the advice.

Quick followup question: Does anybody know why royal and signature suites seem to be listed at the same price on a lot of cruises at the moment? What would be the reason to go with signature?

Many thanks,

Owen.

That's a much harder question for a U.K. Customer than a US customer due to inability to get price drops. Perhaps consider booking through a US travel agent. I will say that we booked a celebrity cruise for April 2018 in sept 2016 and the suites were already sold out, so it's a huge risk to wait for a pricing sweet spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the advice.

Quick followup question: Does anybody know why royal and signature suites seem to be listed at the same price on a lot of cruises at the moment? What would be the reason to go with signature?

Many thanks,

Owen.

Signature Suites are only on the Reflection; they have a separate hallway and are on deck 14 up front, along with a higher ceiling; Royal Suites have a larger bathroom, I believe, along with a dining room table and are centered in the middle. Look on Youtube for videos.

Also, i booked as soon as they were first released for my suite in 2018; so far they are up 1,000 total for Italy and Greece.

Edited by Lastdance

It has not been that way in the past but I see what you mean on the Reflection 10/1/18 the SS and RS are the same price and Cruise Fish shows that is the original price.

I would guess that SS price is X Revenue Management testing to see how high a price they can get for the SS. There are only 5 of them and if they can sell them all then they lock in that price. There are only 8 RS and I think prices rise as soon as they 3 or 4, but I have gotten price drops when they don't sell.

I have not stayed in an SS but chatted with passengers. It is a different feeling room with a 9 or 10 foot ceiling. It has a deeper veranda (hot tub turned long ways) and higher deck. It is unique only on Reflection. Location just outside spa cafe. It would be best for someone that has stayed in SS and RS to comment on how they enjoyed them.

The RS offers more of everything. Room is 150 SF larger with extra 1/2 bath. More seating, a dining room table for 6 and long kitchen counter. I think bigger TV, sound system. Veranda is 40 SF larger but the way the tub sits may take 4x10 so the SS may have nearly as much usable room.

I thought the RS includes more perks ... but now on website the SS appears to get all the RS perks like Specialty Dining and Drinks. That is probably part of the price increase. At the same price I would take the RS.

Edited by floatplan
typos