19YO and the UBP

dad son team

I'm thinking of booking a cruise to travel with my 19DS and choosing the UBP perk. Last year we cruised and I signed the waiver for him to buy beer, but because we booked last minute we did not qualify for any perks so all our drinks were a la carte. Does anyone know how it works with the UBP and a technical minor? Can he still get the UBP and have it limited to beer and wine or does he get a soda card?????

Check out the Terms and Conditions for the promo:

<snip>

Ultimate Beverage Package (Unlimited Open Bar):

Applicable to guests 1-2 on the reservation.

Guest must be at least 21 years of age at time of sailing to qualify for the Ultimate Beverage Package. Guests under 21 will receive the Soda Package.

Yep, I just faced this situation today. My husband can't go on our booked March cruise (where we had elected for the UBP as one of our perks) and is being replaced by our 20 yr old daughter. Even though it's a round trip European cruise where I don't have to sign the alcoholic drink waiver, NCL won't give her the UBP and is giving her the soda package instead. At least they are refunding the gratuities I already paid (we are past final payment) so I told my daughter that's her alcohol allowance haha.

It does not matter where you live or where you are from… As a perk you must be 21 and over to get the alcohol package. Even if you are passenger number two and you are under 21 you will receive the soda package even if the other person receives the alcoholic package.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A couple weeks ago a PCC told me that once on board, and after the parent waiver is signed, that I could upgrade my daughter from soda package to the wine/beer package by paying the diffference in gratuity. I told her that wasn't the case, as the beverage packages are only offered to those over 21. She stood her ground. I read her the T&C, yet she still claimed it can be handled once on board.

I believe T&C over a PCC any day. But I'll still ask once on board, saying that's what I was told.