menus and MDR "don't miss" bites

suec12

We are looking forward to our first Princess cruise after many on Celebrity. We have always been pleased with the food in the MDR on Celebrity. What do I have to look forward to on Princess? Do they post the menus before dinner.....can you view them all ahead of time? We may want to go to Sabatini's one night....it sounds very nice.

We are looking forward to our first Princess cruise after many on Celebrity. We have always been pleased with the food in the MDR on Celebrity. What do I have to look forward to on Princess? Do they post the menus before dinner.....can you view them all ahead of time? We may want to go to Sabatini's one night....it sounds very nice.

Tastes vary so much, one man's steak is another man's hamburger.

The menus are posted outside the MDRs after lunch.

You can also ask your waiter to see one menu or all the menus.

I liked Sabatini's, DH didn't (that hamburger vs. steak thing ;)).

Sorry but your use of the term "bites" in the thread title got my dander up.

The artsy-fartsy small plates/sharing table trend that has infected Celebrity and other psuedo-hip cruise lines for quite some time is sadly creeping onto Princess--in the form of the upcharge restaurants SHARE (on Ruby, Emerald and Sun Princess) and Salty Dog Gastropub (on Crown, Ruby and Emerald).

Thankfully there appears to be no plans to add them to more than the current three ships each. And double thankful that the MDRs on Princess continue to serve old-school portions of mostly old-school cruise fare. Hopefully this will exceed your expectations and make you wonder what you saw in the tiny portions of unpronounceable exotica Celebrity and the other overpriced pretenders seem to think everyone wants.

I think Princess does a good job with their food. I love the twice baked goat cheese souffle (appetizer) and the dessert souffles are also very good. I also enjoy the many different sorbets. For entrees they offer at least a poultry and beef option each night. Pork and lamb are offered frequently. I think they do an excellent job with seafood. However, those dishes match my taste and others will have different likes.

OK how about menu ITEMS? appetizers, entrees or desserts? I guess using the term "bites" was a bad choice, either that or Princess cruisers don't chat much about food on their board.

I'm sure as you read some of the reviews and threads on the Princess board you'll find some of us do indeed talk about food, a lot.

A few of my MDR favourites: Red snapper mojito ceviche (and I don't like fishy or raw fish); twice baked goat's cheese soufflé (don't like goat's cheese either); escargot. Always available fettuccine Alfredo (starter or main; can add grilled chicken) and creme brûlée.

Enjoy your upcoming cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Always take your waiters suggestion for what is good that evening. Several times I ignored him/her and ordered what I thought sounded good to me.......it was a big mistake. They will usually give you several choices for what is good. If the ship you are on has the International Cafe, the food there is very tasty, it doesn't cost anything extra and we have seen the head chef stop by for a "bite" to eat. lol

OK how about menu ITEMS? appetizers, entrees or desserts? I guess using the term "bites" was a bad choice, either that or Princess cruisers don't chat much about food on their board.

Princess cruisers do chat about food to the point of food fights. :p I like the meat loaf, and I don't care who knows it. :D

We will be on the Emerald Princess........international cafe sounds nice.....hope that ship has one. And is there an "every day" menu in the MDR? what will I find on it? Thanks!

Yes. the Emerald has an International Cafe. You will like it. The everyday menu in the MDr is called Always Available, and it has shrunk considerably in the last year.

Emerald has an International Cafe but no longer has Sabatini's which was replaced by SHARE last year.

Pic is of the Princess Favorites always available menu items from Regal Princess; Emerald should have more or less the same, though the Shrimp Cocktail will not be 'Caribbean' if you are in a different region. Also the hamburger may alternate with sirloin tips, or not.

61b23030f0780e9ae3869cbed327363b.jpg

(courtesy CanadianBurger's live from thread)

Twice baked goat cheese soufflé. Do you sense a theme here? Also, the pizza on Princess is far superior to the thing they call pizza on Celebrity.

Dessert souffles, sorbets, eggplant parmigiana on Italian night....also love the scones at afternoon tea.

And from there is might depend a bit upon the chef and pastry chef. There are some lovely salads at the International Café.

Princess cruisers do chat about food to the point of food fights. :p I like the meat loaf, and I don't care who knows it. :D

Is that the same meat loaf that one of the "food snobs" who posts on these boards described as a "gray colored, unappetizing mess"? :D

BTW, had it on the Regal and enjoyed it. ;)

To the OP, Prime rib is usually good, and the Beef Wellington is good as well. We always find something good on a Princess MDR menu. One hint, if you have Eggs Benedict for breakfast or brunch ask for the sauce on the side. If you don't you will know why I suggested it.

Edited by ar1950

Is that the same meat loaf that one of the "food snobs" who posts on these boards described as a "gray colored, unappetizing mess"? :D

BTW, had it on the Regal and enjoyed it. ;)

Yes, it is, along with several colorful descriptions of the living arrangements and economic status of the people who eat it. With several Porcine metaphors, too. :p

Several people on this thread mentioned the goat cheese soufflé. It's one of my favorites, but I keep reading on other threads that's it's been dropped from the menu. I sure hope that's not true.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Several people on this thread mentioned the goat cheese soufflé. It's one of my favorites, but I keep reading on other threads that's it's been dropped from the menu. I sure hope that's not true.

It was still around in September on the Grand. I haven't read anywhere that it was gone. :confused:

The Princess escargot are far nicer than Celebrity's, IMHO.

But sometimes it depends on how good the Executive Chef is, which filters down through the ranks. On one cruise the eggplant (melanzane) parmigiana was to die for, on another it was nice but nothing special.