Luminae Wines by the Glass

jules815

The below link is from 2015. When we sailed in May on Eclipse, the sommelier offered us many wines that were not on the list. Once she was aware we liked a particular cabernet, she saved bottles for us and other cab lovers in Luminae. She also opened many new different bottles for passengers to try and would offer to share these bottles with other guests.

http://www.moreton.co.uk/Cruise%20pics/Luminae/menu%20-%20luminae%20-%20wine.pdf

The below link is from 2015. When we sailed in May on Eclipse, the sommelier offered us many wines that were not on the list. Once she was aware we liked a particular cabernet, she saved bottles for us and other cab lovers in Luminae. She also opened many new different bottles for passengers to try and would offer to share these bottles with other guests.

http://www.moreton.co.uk/Cruise%20pics/Luminae/menu%20-%20luminae%20-%20wine.pdf

That was our experience as well. We were a group of six with one white wine drinker. He brought bottles of Cabernet and a Chardonnay every night. We gave him free reign. And only once did I ask for something lighter.

Our last 2 cruises in Luminae we were often offered wine by the glass that was not on the list and was a few $ above the limit. We were not charged the difference. Of course, we also purchased several bottles of wine and the sommelier got a nice tip on them.

A lot depends on the sommelier, apparently. When we sailed on Eclipse two years ago the Luminae sommelier brought things for us from all over the ship, got to know our likes and dislikes, and saved wines she knew we'd like. Recently on Equinox our Luminae sommelier experience was just blah. He was friendly but didn't go out of his way to find out what we'd really like or search the wines all over the ship for his customers. It was a 180 degree difference.

A lot depends on the sommelier, apparently. When we sailed on Eclipse two years ago the Luminae sommelier brought things for us from all over the ship, got to know our likes and dislikes, and saved wines she knew we'd like. Recently on Equinox our Luminae sommelier experience was just blah. He was friendly but didn't go out of his way to find out what we'd really like or search the wines all over the ship for his customers. It was a 180 degree difference.

May I ask who your Luminae sommelier was as we're sailing on the Equinox on Jan 9th? I hope we're not going to be disappointed after prior good experiences.

We were on the same Equinox cruise with ClaudiaB and agree the sommelier was not great. He really had a hard time even providing basic service. We had a great one on Silhouette last Feb.

Edited by wrk2cruise

We were in Luminae on Millie in October/Nov 2015. We upgraded and had never been in a suite before.

Luminae was great, but when we were presented with a wine list, it did not resemble the link you posted. The cheapest wine was about $50 a bottle and most were $70+. We did manage to talk the wine steward into finding a bottle of cab for about $38, which was good.

I think the idea was that if you can afford a suite, them must think you buy more expensive wine.

We are happy with $12 bottle of wine that I buy at a liquor store or upscale grocery store. Usually, those priced wines are available on X for $30-$40 a bottle.

This was our experience also, we had a great sommelier on Eclipse in March and Silhouette in December. Our experience on Summit was just blah. My DH thought he was ok but to be charged $.50 for a wine over the limit by $.50 just caused me to shake my head, especially since we were also buying bottles of wine. I know the packages have a per glass limit but really!!! He also did not go out of his way to find something not on the list. (This was made up by our excellent MC concierge and butler.)

We were in Luminae on Millie in October/Nov 2015. We upgraded and had never been in a suite before.

Luminae was great, but when we were presented with a wine list, it did not resemble the link you posted. The cheapest wine was about $50 a bottle and most were $70+. We did manage to talk the wine steward into finding a bottle of cab for about $38, which was good.

I think the idea was that if you can afford a suite, them must think you buy more expensive wine.

We are happy with $12 bottle of wine that I buy at a liquor store or upscale grocery store. Usually, those priced wines are available on X for $30-$40 a bottle.

I am definitely not a wine snob. I purchase Kirkland (Costco) or Yellow Tail at Costco as my faves! We had the Premium Beverage Package and the sommelier always brought us wines included in the package. I'm not interested in paying extra for more expensive wines.

If you haven't tried it already try toasted head chardonnay the costco's near us have had it recently at a very low price.....and while not a 90+ wine on wine enthusiast it is better for the price than yellowtail.....if your store has it ..give it a try

I am definitely not a wine snob. I purchase Kirkland (Costco) or Yellow Tail at Costco as my faves! We had the Premium Beverage Package and the sommelier always brought us wines included in the package. I'm not interested in paying extra for more expensive wines.

If you haven't tried it already try toasted head chardonnay the costco's near us have had it recently at a very low price.....and while not a 90+ wine on wine enthusiast it is better for the price than yellowtail.....if your store has it ..give it a try

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out next week.