sea sickness tablets

panania1

We pack some Buderim ginger jubes or if we can't get these some crystallised ginger in case it gets bumpy and we have had a couple of those crossing the Tasman and the SP.

Not a bad idea though to have a chat to your GP and get something stronger just in case.

If you forget you can get something to settle the tum from one of the shops on board or you in a worst case scenario the doc on board will give you a Jab if you get really seasick.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've used the transdermscop patch several times and never been sick (while using it, get crazy bad motion sickness often in day to day life - cars, movie theaters, etc). But since I don't have a regular doctor it can be a pain to get so this time around I'm trying Bonine. Have used to on short boat and bus rides and it works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sanger727

I tried everything.

Booking a midship cabin on a lower deck helps. Ginger in all forms as a preventive. Bonine or whatever is available in your country when sailing in rough seas. I didn't need anything between OZ and NZ and I don't like taking a drug when it's not necessary, so no patch for me and no medication just in case. Pressure point remedies do nothing for me when the weather is rough.

I've used the transdermscop patch several times and never been sick (while using it, get crazy bad motion sickness often in day to day life - cars, movie theaters, etc). But since I don't have a regular doctor it can be a pain to get so this time around I'm trying Bonine. Have used to on short boat and bus rides and it works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't think scopolamine, the ingredient in this patch, is available in Australia.

IF you choose to go the Scopalomine patch prescription route, be aware that it can cause some very nasty side effects (such as blurred vision, difficulty urinating, extreme dry mouth, confusion) for some people.

You would be wise to try using it at home before ever leaving for your cruise to make sure you aren't one of those who can't tolerate it.

Whatever you do choose to try ... if an over-the-counter med, check with your physician to make sure it won't conflict with any medication you currently take. It's even wise to verify with your doctor that ginger is OK for you to take.

I would highly recommend any prescription medication, try it before you go on the cruise to see how it affects you. Any "home remedies" too, but those make sure you're actually doing something that normally makes you seasick to see if it'll work for you. I tried the ginger route on a snorkeling trip into the ocean. OMG it was the worst experience ever. So my go on that, take the drugs on the definitely will make you sick parts of the trip, try the home remedies on the lighter days. And I dunno about most people, but I can only afford cruising once a year... why ruin an your trip by not testing something works first? :)

Edited by Ellusionz

So, here's the thing. You see all these remedies listed here. Given the feedback here and many similar threads, all of them work for somebody sometimes. Which will work for you? Who knows. For my wife, the scopolamine patches work great. Nothing else helps at all and she's had it all at one point or another. Even worse, once you get seasick, its tough to get rid of it. So being proactive is key to having a good trip. Meclizine (bonine and others) is over the counter at least in the US. So, you might want to take that to avoid spending a half a day trying to get over waking up sick.

If you really don't know if this is going to be a problem, you might try some other boat ride first. Small boats are worse than cruise ships.