Advice needed regarding flights - cruise out of Port Everglades 2/11

PghSunny

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here so please be easy on me. :)

I *might* be going on a 5-night cruise next month on Royal Caribbean on The Independence of the Seas from Port Everglades. I say might because over the holiday weekend I "purchased" the cruise through myvegas and I'm waiting to hear back from Club Royale. I cannot call, I have to email them. Even if there is still space available, my son and I need to get our passports. I've been researching like crazy and I'm hopeful we can get them in time.

I'd prefer to fly non-stop but will connect if needed. All of the nonstop options are the same price, $189 (one way). Connecting flights are in the $140 range. I do not want to take Friday 2/10 off work so my options are limited.

I'd prefer to fly Southwest, but it doesn't look like it is my best option. The latest flight on Friday is at 4:55 and connects in Tampa. I'd have to leave work a couple hours early but could possibly make it work it is cheaper at $139. I'd then have to find a hotel, and they are really expensive near FLL Friday night. Saturday non-stop gets in at 1:15PM. Is this even a viable option? What is the latest time I can be at the ship?

I think the most economical option would be to on Jet Blue nonstop Saturday morning into FLL. The flight gets in at 9:57AM. I think getting in around 10 am would give me enough time to get to the port. I'm familiar with the airport, and know it is close to Port Everglades (I've been to Fort Lauderdale 4 times, the last 3 times I stayed at Lago Mar and watched the ships leave which peaked my interest in cruising :) ). I worry about flight delays and weather causing us to miss the ship.

There is a nonstop option on American that I really like. It leaves at 6:00 PM Friday night and gets into Miami before 9:00 PM. The problem is the cruise leaves from Fort Lauderdale. I'd have to stay at a hotel really close to MIA with a free shuttle from the airport. I don't want to rent a car Friday night. I think it would be a waste to use it just to get to the hotel. I could then take the shuttle back to MIA the next morning if there is a shuttle to Port Everglades. I think I read a cab is around $80 plus tip. If there is a shuttle I have no idea how much it would be.

Sometimes I think this is going to be too much hassle and I should just turn the reward in and get my myvegas points back. On the other hand, I'd really like to try to make it work. I love to travel. My son is 14 and would love to go on a cruise. I think a 5-night cruise is a perfect way to find out if cruising is for us.

Edited by PghSunny
missed a word

I am certain that you will find that frequent cruisers advise to arrive the day before, especially if traveling from a Northern city in Feb. (I lived in PA for 4 years and know how bad the weather can get). In addition to weather, other issues can occur that mess up your plans (we recently had a shooting at our airport and it closed it down for 5 hours).

If you do decide to fly in the same day, take as early a flight as you can, plus be sure that you have a backup plan. For example, I like connecting in Atlanta as Delta has very frequent flights to FLL if I miss mine. If your airline has no other options to get you to FLL in time, I would avoid it.

In Fort Lauderdale, the hotels are very expensive in Feb. There are less expensive options further away from the port and beach areas that might work for you. Check out the FLORIDA message board on Cruise Critic for some great advice on this option. I think that there is a hotel that is further out and yet provides shuttle service from airport and to the port (I cannot remember the name).

Good Luck.

As I get older I like to arrive a day or 2 earlier . I say come in Friday night. Even if you are delayed out of Vegas and miss your connection in Tampa your IN Tampa. Much easier if need be to get to FLL. Your son will have a blast and you should be able to get much needed Mommy time[emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you both for replying. Sorry for the confusion. I'm not flying from Vegas I'm flying from Pittsburgh PA.

DaveOKC thanks for the suggestion. I will see what other options the airlines have as backup plans.

Thank you both for replying. Sorry for the confusion. I'm not flying from Vegas I'm flying from Pittsburgh PA.

DaveOKC thanks for the suggestion. I will see what other options the airlines have as backup plans.

As to hotel options, Lido Deck just posted this:

"If you want to stay in my 'hood I would suggest the Hampton Inn-Plantation. They have both an airport shuttle and a Port Everglades shuttle, so you could get by without a rental car if you wanted to. It's walking distance to two nice malls, a Publix Grocery, Total Wine and a couple dozen restaurants. You could probably arrange an Everglades Tour that has transportation."

I *might* be going on a 5-night cruise next month on Royal Caribbean on The Independence of the Seas from Port Everglades. I say might because over the holiday weekend I "purchased" the cruise through myvegas and I'm waiting to hear back from Club Royale. I cannot call, I have to email them. Even if there is still space available, my son and I need to get our passports. I've been researching like crazy and I'm hopeful we can get them in time.

I doubt you will be able to get passports in time, but you can still cruise with birth certificates and a government issued ID.

I'd prefer to fly non-stop but will connect if needed. All of the nonstop options are the same price, $189 (one way). Connecting flights are in the $140 range. I do not want to take Friday 2/10 off work so my options are limited.

I'd prefer to fly Southwest, but it doesn't look like it is my best option. The latest flight on Friday is at 4:55 and connects in Tampa. I'd have to leave work a couple hours early but could possibly make it work it is cheaper at $139. I'd then have to find a hotel, and they are really expensive near FLL Friday night. Saturday non-stop gets in at 1:15PM. Is this even a viable option? What is the latest time I can be at the ship?

Unfortunately, flying here the day before your cruise is the best advice. Flight delays are common coming from the North as a result of bad weather, especially this time of year. You do not want to miss your cruise. You could make a 1:15 PM arrival work if it is on time, but do you want to risk missing the boat if you have delays or even cancellations?

I think the most economical option would be to on Jet Blue nonstop Saturday morning into FLL. The flight gets in at 9:57AM. I think getting in around 10 am would give me enough time to get to the port. I'm familiar with the airport, and know it is close to Port Everglades (I've been to Fort Lauderdale 4 times, the last 3 times I stayed at Lago Mar and watched the ships leave which peaked my interest in cruising ). I worry about flight delays and weather causing us to miss the ship.

Well, that's less risky than a 1:15 PM arrival, but there is still the risk of long delays and flight cancellation.

There is a nonstop option on American that I really like. It leaves at 6:00 PM Friday night and gets into Miami before 9:00 PM. The problem is the cruise leaves from Fort Lauderdale. I'd have to stay at a hotel really close to MIA with a free shuttle from the airport. I don't want to rent a car Friday night. I think it would be a waste to use it just to get to the hotel. I could then take the shuttle back to MIA the next morning if there is a shuttle to Port Everglades. I think I read a cab is around $80 plus tip. If there is a shuttle I have no idea how much it would be.

If you do that, then yes, stay at a MIA hotel with a shuttle and then do a shared shuttle to Port Everglades the next day.

Sometimes I think this is going to be too much hassle and I should just turn the reward in and get my myvegas points back. On the other hand, I'd really like to try to make it work. I love to travel. My son is 14 and would love to go on a cruise. I think a 5-night cruise is a perfect way to find out if cruising is for us.

If missing work on Friday is a problem why don't you find a cruise that goes out on Sunday or Monday?

If missing work on Friday is a problem why don't you find a cruise that goes out on Sunday or Monday?

Hi Lido_Deck, thank you for responding. This cruise was one of three options offered on the Facebook game myvegas. It is the only one in February. I'm trying to add it on the front end of my annual Florida trip, which also occurs in February, and I'm trying to limit the # of vacation days I have to use. The cost according to the terms and conditions is the government taxes and fees (which is $87.21 per person). If I were to pay outright for the cruise I would have picked one on a different day.

Do you have any info on the shared shuttle from MIA that you mentioned?

Well...I was going to recommend SAS but I just discovered they don't run Miami to Ft Lauderdale service.

There is another option for you if your flight is on time into MIA on Friday evening and you have no baggage delays...

The last TriRail northbound train leaves below the rental car facility at MIA at 9:40 PM arriving at the Ft Lauderdale Airport stop at 10:18 PM ($3.75 pp). Now the stop is not really at the airport, it's at Griffin Road and I-95 in Dania Beach (you have to take a shuttle to get to FLL). The good news is the train station is surrounded by hotels that are a very short walk...Homewood Suites, Fairfield Inn, Residence Inn and Courtyard. Then the next day you could take a taxi (about $20) or Uber to the Port Everglades.

Another voice that says get to FLL Friday night.

We were flying to FLL two years ago from PHL to meet a cruise the next day. We had an early flight...around 10am on a Saturday. It was a beautiful day, we were flying Southwest.

Unfortunately, there was an issue with an 8am flight to FLL that day and it was cancelled. 100+ passengers now trying to find other flights, and because it was spring break time on a Saturday, everything was booked. I overheard more than one conversation about people crushed they were going to miss their cruises, as their ships were sailing that afternoon and the earliest SW could get them in to FLL was not going to get them to the port on time.

Shared shuttles from MIA to FLL/PE are available from Go Airport, Super Shuttle, and American shuttle - about $35 per person the last time I checked. Before paying that much for a shared shuttle I would spend an extra $5+ and take Uber or save big $$ and ride the Tri-Rail train suggested above

La Quinta East is a budget motel close to MIA that offers free airport shuttles and is often suggested on this board.

Edited by JohninDC

You might need to pay premium to expedite the passports. I wouldn't bother for this short cruise. Just take your picture id. And original birth certificate.

Only problem you'll have is flying back to states if an emergency. Chances very slim. No other NEED for them.

Thank you all for your advice. I booked a room at Holiday Inn Express 17th Street Fort Lauderdale. I found a refundable rate for $200 on Friday night. That doesn't seem too bad for Fort Lauderdale (I could be wrong). I just have to cancel the day before if I'm not going to use it. There is a connecting flight to Fort Lauderdale on American that gets in really late Friday night for $140 (connects in Charlotte) so I might book that one. The HI Express has 24-hour free transportation from the airport and inexpensive transportation to the cruise port. The reviews look OK and I'm familiar with where it is.

I'd prefer a nonstop flight. I haven't ruled out the Miami flight, but waking up and being close to Port Everglades is seems more appealing right now.

I hope Club Royale contacts me soon! Thanks again! :)

You want to get in the day before worst case. A late arrival into FLL is the best option for you it seems. A late arrival into MIA is not so bad either. You can either take an Uber to a hotel near Port Everglades or take a free shuttle to an airport and then an Uber to the port the next day. Traffic is not bad on a Saturday, an Uber from the MIA area to Port Everglades will be about $40-$45.00

But yes, get in the night before, especially flying from Pittsburgh in February!!

Thank you all for your advice. I booked a room at Holiday Inn Express 17th Street Fort Lauderdale. I found a refundable rate for $200 on Friday night. That doesn't seem too bad for Fort Lauderdale (I could be wrong). I just have to cancel the day before if I'm not going to use it. There is a connecting flight to Fort Lauderdale on American that gets in really late Friday night for $140 (connects in Charlotte) so I might book that one. The HI Express has 24-hour free transportation from the airport and inexpensive transportation to the cruise port. The reviews look OK and I'm familiar with where it is.

I'd prefer a nonstop flight. I haven't ruled out the Miami flight, but waking up and being close to Port Everglades is seems more appealing right now.

I hope Club Royale contacts me soon! Thanks again! :)

This sounds like the best plan to me. Stayed at HI Express on 17th in November and it wasn't bad. Price is reasonable because they are doing construction on a new tower but you are just overnight so won't be an issue. Their airport transportation was fine. I would just cab or Uber to the port. Cab has $10 minimum and shouldn't be any more than that. Uber a bit less.