Star Azipod News and progress

karoo

This looks pretty doable on one pod, the only close ones are the Burnie to Milford Sound (as to how much time in the sound), and the Napier to Tauranga leg.

Here's the latest itinerary, according to my TA. No times listed. We are still awaiting an email from NCL.

What do you think about this?

Feb 6 – Leave Sydney

Feb 7 – At Sea

Feb 8 – Melbourne

Feb 9 – Melbourne

Feb 10 – At Sea

Feb 11 – At Sea

Feb 12 – At Sea

Feb 13 – Dunedin

Feb 14 – Akaroa

Feb 15 – Wellington

Feb 16 – Napier

Feb 17 – Auckland

Feb 18 – Auckland

I posted something similar yesterday and someone posted back that the OBC is "refundable" and we would get the unused portion at the end of the cruise.

Hoping we don't have to find out if that's true or not! ;)

We were on the Jan 5th cruise and have yet to see a refund of our on board credit? We got the 20% refund they promised but it was done with some iffy math because it was not what we could calculate. Don't know where they came up with the number. But no on board credit refund yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here's the latest itinerary' date=' according to my TA. No times listed. We are still awaiting an email from NCL.

What do you think about this?

Feb 6 – Leave Sydney

Feb 7 – At Sea

Feb 8 – Melbourne

Feb 9 – Melbourne

Feb 10 – At Sea

Feb 11 – At Sea

Feb 12 – At Sea

Feb 13 – Dunedin

Feb 14 – Akaroa

Feb 15 – Wellington

Feb 16 – Napier

Feb 17 – Auckland

Feb 18 – Auckland[/quote']

This is all doable at 16 knots, as long as the Auckland arrival is in the evening of the 17th.

We were on the Jan 5th cruise and have yet to see a refund of our on board credit? We got the 20% refund they promised but it was done with some iffy math because it was not what we could calculate. Don't know where they came up with the number. But no on board credit refund yet?

Hi Susan, our 20% was not 20% of what we paid but it was more than our TA told us it would be.

As for obc, you normally need to get that refunded onboard. On our jan 5 sailing we had 125 obc, 100 was not refundable (so we spent it) and 25 was so we got it cashed back to us at the credit desk

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Last time I had left over refundable OBC, it took maybe 5 weeks or so to get the check from NCL. And I can imagine that having to process refund checks for most all of the passengers it could take even longer.

Ncl are sending the big brass to Darwin to meet the ship.

http://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/news.cfm?ID=7495...

Town hall meeting on the ship....should be interesting.

Obviously the onboard staff said, you made the decision so you come and face the music.

So our jan 5 sailing the only one not to receive a future cruise credit out of 7 straight itineraries. Guess I'm heading back to Celebrity

Edited by teamflames

Obviously the onboard staff said, you made the decision so you come and face the music.

So our jan 5 sailing the only one not to receive a future cruise credit out of 7 straight itineraries. Guess I'm heading back to Celebrity

The ship can't make Sydney on schedule from Auckland.......looks like major cancellations of ports back to Singapore.:mad:

Another gathering in the atrium today. Captain came down and answered questions. NCL execs from Australia are boarding tomorrow in Darwin for town hall meetings. That will be fun for them.

Any talk about a dry dock.

I heard the meeting is at 9.00 am.

Any talk about a dry dock.

I heard the meeting is at 9.00 am.

There may be several meetings due to people on excursions and we are to be told when they will be.

A staff member who told me they knew days earlier of the problem when it was leaked by a bridge officer (which was confirmed today - Passengers told on 1/26 but discovered on 1/24) said there's a 110% chance they won't dry dock. Doesn't mean it's true, but they were right about the malfunction date that no one off the bridge/engineering really knew so I'm inclined to believe they won't dry dock until this ship is back in Europe.

This looks pretty doable on one pod, the only close ones are the Burnie to Milford Sound (as to how much time in the sound), and the Napier to Tauranga leg.

If the ship returned to Europe on one pod....what speed would you put into the distance calculater.

I put in 15 knots in calculator from Singapore to Dubai and came back as missing 4 ports......is 15 knots resonable to expect.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

If the ship returned to Europe on one pod....what speed would you put into the distance calculater.

I put in 15 knots in calculator from Singapore to Dubai and came back as missing 4 ports......is 15 knots resonable to expect.

From the early comments they have been only doing 11 knots, more missed ports.:(

15 knots would be reasonable, I would expect 16-18 from one pod as a norm, given the ship's max speed, but there may be other factors. If they are going to go from down under back to Europe on one pod, I would expect that they would remove the blades from the non-functioning pod (can be done by divers), as even a windmilling propeller creates some drag, and this could increase the speed.

And again, dry docking is not the cure all for azipods. Without knowing what this latest failure is, there is no way to know whether the work requires dry dock or not, just as the earlier problem was repaired without docking, and docking would not have sped up the process. They could just as easily cancel a couple of days off a cruise and stay at a lay berth to effect repairs, either with divers, or inside repairs.

Sip has just popped back on the marine traffic site around 200nm off Darwin.

She making 13.7Knts and looks overdue going on the arrival time stated on that site.

The past track shows she has been up to 16knts but the speed seems all over the place.

Sip has just popped back on the marine traffic site around 200nm off Darwin.

She making 13.7Knts and looks overdue going on the arrival time stated on that site.

The past track shows she has been up to 16knts but the speed seems all over the place.

Our ship's log shows we're 95 nm away and traveling at 16 knots.