Just off Anthem 12/23 holiday sailing! Detailed review here.

They are supposed to have a counselor for each age group .. Safety is the most important thing and if I do not feel like they are adquitly staffed my kids won't be staying.

It was actually two counselors per age group. However, I think there were a lot more kids than usual since it was the Xmas/New Years sailing.

I would suggest you stop by Adventure Ocean to get an idea about the amount of staff per amount of children on the ship before making your decision.

Having at least a little non-kid time is so needed!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh absolutely..

It was actually two counselors per age group. However, I think there were a lot more kids than usual since it was the Xmas/New Years sailing.

I would suggest you stop by Adventure Ocean to get an idea about the amount of staff per amount of children on the ship before making your decision.

Having at least a little non-kid time is so needed!!

Hi great review .. one question, where were you able to find the "Royal Refreshment" package while it was on sale?

Thanks.

One day while popping around the Cruise Planner on the RCCL website it just showed up on sale. I don't remember getting an email about it - just randomly saw it with a discounted price.

What was the earliest that you observed people debarking from the ship? Were taxis standing by ready to receive passengers leaving the ship? I ask because my wife and I are scheduled for 2 cruises- The Anthem from 2- 9 April and the Norwegian Getaway (Port of Miami) from the 9-16 April. As such, we have a tight window to fly to MIA or FLL between cruises. We will self assist our own luggage and standby near the gangway to be one of the first off the ship. There are a few available flights, however I would like to take the earliest flight from Newark to FLL, one which departs at 8am...if possible.

What was the earliest that you observed people debarking from the ship? Were taxis standing by ready to receive passengers leaving the ship? I ask because my wife and I are scheduled for 2 cruises- The Anthem from 2- 9 April and the Norwegian Getaway (Port of Miami) from the 9-16 April. As such, we have a tight window to fly to MIA or FLL between cruises. We will self assist our own luggage and standby near the gangway to be one of the first off the ship. There are a few available flights, however I would like to take the earliest flight from Newark to FLL, one which departs at 8am...if possible.

Just a wild thought here..........

ARE YOU INSANE?!?!?!?!

I don't think this is possible. Sorry. I would rethink this plan if you are not past final payment.

There is no way at all you'll make an 8am flight. Personally, I wouldn't even entertain anything before noon just to be on the safe side.

With all the construction at exit 14A (Bayonne exit) on the turnpike, you could stuck in traffic. What normally takes about a 20 minute drive to the airport could be well over an hour. You will be able to get off the ship usually by 7 - 7:30. This also depends on customs. So no you would never make an 8 am flight.

Good question. We didn't drive and park. Instead, we had car service take us to and from the port and it was super easy. At embarkation it was essentially curbside service for our bags. At disembarkation we flagged down a luggage cart guy (there were a bunch) and he set us up at one of the zones for pick up. I called the car service and relayed to them which zone we were located. Super easy.

Can you please share what car service you used and if you would recommend? Thank you!

Can you please share what car service you used and if you would recommend? Thank you!

Sure - I used Summit Express car service (based out of Summit NJ). We had 4 adults, 2 kids, and a huge load of luggage. We used their large Mercedes Sprinter van and it was perfect.

On one memorable occasion it took one hour to drive from the parking lot to the road and another 30 minutes to drive the next mile.

The local news had a piece on how long it takes to get through security at ewr, in some instances two hours.

Thank you so much! Sailing in April and soaking up all the good info️[emoji3]

Totally!

You'll love it :)

We had so much fun that we all decided to rebook for the 2017 holiday cruise.

Only 340 days to go.....

• 4 weeks later...

thanks to OP for the great review. it helped me choose my 1st anthem booking.

270 was for VIPs only. They sold every table in there this year. There were also tables available for sale on 5 overlooking the Esplanade. My husband and I did not reserve anything, and were able to find great seats overlooking the Esplanade or the balloon drop. Tables started at $200, and went way up from there...

We drove to the pier, dropped our bags, and then found a spot in the garage. With kids, I would probably do the bag drop and have one parent stay with the kids while the other goes and finds a spot. The garage is very close to the terminal. We had a porter take care of the bags when we got off the ship, and she met us on the ground level of the parking garage to load the bags after we got the car. VERY easy.

i never did a holiday cruise but it seems soooo crazy to have them charge for additional things that are normally free (tables at two70)

regarding getting off the ship, ive been in NYC and there you want to pay the porter to bypass the long customs line and take your stuff to your car. is it the same setup in NJ?

You will be assigned a dining room. You will not be able to choose the dining room, you can only choose the day and time.

in my limited reading so far i had not gleaned this. so are you saying i cannot try any other dining rooms other than what they assign me? i'm assuming this is chic/grand/american/silk

Ha - I never even thought to ask my cabin steward to fold up the sofa bed each day!

I do live in NJ. What's the User CP?????

thats funny but not. 1st day we got back to the room the pulldown bed was put away and we told him next time to just leave it down all week. the kids really used it during down times during the day.

user CP is where you can change your location and stuff. under your name top right of the page

thanks to OP for the great review. it helped me choose my 1st anthem booking.

i never did a holiday cruise but it seems soooo crazy to have them charge for additional things that are normally free (tables at two70)

regarding getting off the ship, ive been in NYC and there you want to pay the porter to bypass the long customs line and take your stuff to your car. is it the same setup in NJ?

in my limited reading so far i had not gleaned this. so are you saying i cannot try any other dining rooms other than what they assign me? i'm assuming this is chic/grand/american/silk

Yes. You can pay the porter and bypass the line. Best $20 we spent for the trip.

The food is the same in all the dining rooms.

Yes. You can pay the porter and bypass the line. Best $20 we spent for the trip.

The food is the same in all the dining rooms.

good to know

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experiencetypes/category.do?pagename=onboard_cat_dining_options

i'm trying to find where it says they assign a dining room and that you cannot choose what you want. its not very clear if thats how it's supposed to work.

i cannot even find the normal tiny 'terms and conditions' that NCL posts at the bottom of their pages