Luggage Questions

BaBa2

This question may sound dumb to some but I need to ask. My family will be driving to Port Canaveral for our cruise in April 2018 on the Oasis of the Seas. When we park, wherever, do we lug all our suitcases to the port and into the check in lines? There will be 8 of us and 2-3 pieces apiece is a lot to pull along. Any info is helpful. This is our first time.

This question may sound dumb to some but I need to ask. My family will be driving to Port Canaveral for our cruise in April 2018 on the Oasis of the Seas. When we park, wherever, do we lug all our suitcases to the port and into the check in lines? There will be 8 of us and 2-3 pieces apiece is a lot to pull along. Any info is helpful. This is our first time.

Have the driver drop all of you and your luggage off near the ship where the porters are. The porters will take all your luggage except carry-ons and you can check in and then the driver can park the car, return to the ship area and check in.

Sounds like your way over packing with 2-3 suitcases each. happy cruising, Oasis is a great ship..

Agree! Unless they are changing into a new outfit eight times a day there is no reason to drag that much junk around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree! Unless they are changing into a new outfit eight times a day there is no reason to drag that much junk around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree as well. 2-3 suitcases each sounds very excessive. While clothes storage is good, you will press the limits once unpacked with this amount and a lot of luggage to deal with in your stateroom(s).

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Just one (well, two) note for the OP -- when we say, "give porters all but carry-on", you may give porters carry-on SIZED suitcases. So, give porters all but what you need to keep with you... Exceptions might be electronics, valuables, passports, and anything that is crucial to your cruise! I am not implying that bags are riffled or lost, but this is just a good practice whenever you travel. Some people also include their swimsuit, coverup, sunblock, et al, in the bag they keep with them in case their room is not ready or their luggage not promptly delivered.

point 2, TIP THE PORTER! A dollar a bag or more. Another reason to limit one's baggage.

BaBa - how long is your cruise? Sort of a rhetorical question ... but do you REALLY need that much luggage? (Not being critical ... but you may just want to read a lot and decide what you REALLY need and don't need. Only you know what will work best for you and your family.)

You may find the "What I wish I'd known ..." thread to be helpful ... (and of course there are dozens of other similar threads ... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1086757

I commented at length there on a few observations from my recent first cruise, but the parts that most relate to packing (based purely on my 'first' experience and preferences) are:

DO NOT OVER PACK! You do not need everything in your closet. Plan mix & match and possibly to re-wear items. I took 5 mix & match outfits of casual tops/tees and skorts/capris ... I didn't even wear half of them. (Similarly, my travel partner packed WAY too many pairs of jeans and pants ... in addition to his shorts and swim trunks.) I'll pack much lighter next time. Most days, I spent almost all day in swimsuit and cover-up dress.

Plan just a few pair of shoes that will coordinate with multiple outfits. I enjoyed having 3 dresses and being able to dress up a LITTLE for dinner several nights, but they were fairly casual and I wore one pair of neutral wedge heels all three nights. I chose not to bring a super formal dress, but one of my dresses definitely would have been okay, just not impressive, if we'd opted for formal night.

On the non-clothing side of things ... I found some of the suggestions that I had seen in 'first time cruise videos' on other items to bring along to be a bit excessive. I'm glad I had some basic first aid items and OTC meds, even though we didn't need any of them except the Tums. But I personally don't think you need to try to pack something for EVERY possible situation imaginable. I didn't even bring a power cord. For us the TWO outlets were fine, we had two phones two phone chargers ... that was about it for really needing an outlet. When I needed to use the hair dryer or my flat iron, I unplugged one phone and used them. No biggie. (But someone else might find a power cord/extension more essential than we did.)

A small pair of scissors came in handy several times as did the wine bottle opener but other than that I can't really think of much other than personal care/grooming items that we needed at all. We had our reading glasses, books, Poo-Pouri for the bathroom (which I prefer over Febreze or other aerosol sprays), cotton swabs, sunblock, etc. but to me those are basics ... I did find the magnetic hooks suggestion to be worthwhile ... there's a ton of storage in the room, and 4 hooks on the bathroom door, but extra hooks for hanging bathrobes, swimsuits, etc. did come in handy!

Anyway ... as you figure out what is essential ... just keep in mind how many people will be in what size space ... good luck! :)

I agree with the others take less luggage

Gosh we take 1 case each for cruises up to a month cruising (longest so far)

You can hand wash the smalls & hang in the bathroom ...sent out the heavier clothes to the ships laundry

maybe they have a bag deal

I don't think this is a dumb question. You're a first timer, so of course you don't know how it works.

I just want to highlight what Crystalspin said, make sure everyone keeps their boarding documents and id with them (Passport or picture Id and birth certificate). There have been a few reports of someone giving the porters the bag that has the paperwork in it. Oops!

And yes, tip the porter even though they actually don't do much.