Scooters/Walkers

SabreSailor

On a recent cruise on the Koningsdam, we noticed a more than usual number of walkers and strollers at the entrance to the MDR each evening. I've seen this mentioned in many CC reviews of the Koningsdam. Is this happening on other HAL ships?

I'm not criticizing this, because I could be needing one some day! Just wondering if this is a trend.

On a recent cruise on the Koningsdam, we noticed a more than usual number of walkers and strollers at the entrance to the MDR each evening. I've seen this mentioned in many CC reviews of the Koningsdam. Is this happening on other HAL ships?

I'm not criticizing this, because I could be needing one some day! Just wondering if this is a trend.

Koningsdam is larger than the next largest by about 500-600 passengers. It would make sense to see more... likely a proportionate ratio... depending on when your cruise was, if it was a time where families with kids can't really vacation it may have also been that you saw more as those with the spare time to travel are more in the age set that typically is more likely to have mobility devices

HAL cruises are very popular among senior citizens. Also itinerary plays a big part. Longer cruises and cruises to colder climates have higher number of seniors than others.

So if there are lots seniors, there are going to be lots of walkers and scooters.

I am a senior as well, but luckily don't need one of these devices yet.

I much prefer cruising with fellow seniors than young people. But, there are always some young people on every cruise.

Edited by Tom O.
Spelling

As others have pointed out, it depends on the itinerary across many lines. We did the New England cruise last fall on the Anthem and I thought I was on a HAL cruise. A couple of kids and a migration of walkers and scooters.

On our Allure cruise a few years back, we have an over abundance of baby strollers and almost no walkers or scooters.

Dan

As others have pointed out, it depends on the itinerary across many lines. We did the New England cruise last fall on the Anthem and I thought I was on a HAL cruise. A couple of kids and a migration of walkers and scooters.

On our Allure cruise a few years back, we have an over abundance of baby strollers and almost no walkers or scooters.

Dan

New England cruises are very popular among seniors. I did one a couple years ago on Princess, and it was the oldest crowd I have ever seen on a Princess ship. I loved it.

New England cruises are very popular among seniors. I did one a couple years ago on Princess, and it was the oldest crowd I have ever seen on a Princess ship. I loved it.

Loved that Anthem cruise. Looking forward to doing it again. It just was so unexpected yet after thinking about it why would kids want to go up there.

Dan

The entrance to the dining room on the "King" is different from the other HAL ships.

Off the elevator and you are there. There is little space to "hide" the walkers and scooters, so they are all stretched out and much more obvious and space taking.

Yes, I have seen many more ambulation aids on cruise ships over the years, but I see more in shopping malls and on the streets of many cities as well.

I do believe that we see more larger wheeled walkers (frequently referred to as "rollators") and scooters in general in the US today as they have allowed more folks with ambulation problems to get around. Remember the days (as recently as the early 1970s) when the only walkers we saw were the old silver colored walker with rubber cups on the feet and maybe two very small wheels on the front two feet, or tennis balls on the front feet? While they allowed folks to get around - way too much work for most folks to go very far. This meant that more folks stayed home - or at least did not venture too far afield.

I was working in Rehabilitation Medicine when the first large wheeled "walkers" with the seats came out - wow, what a difference they made for folks needing such as aid. Then the the first wheeled (3 ands 4 wheeled versions) electric scooters came out - another big improvement for folks with limited walking abilities. (I remember when our first patients had such scooters. When they came in for therapy the staff would "fight" over who could take the scooter for a ride, use one for errands, etc. while the patient had their therapy.)

Following several significant abdominal surgeries and two knee replacement surgeries I really, really appreciated the use of a large wheeled walker with the seat. Wow - it allowed me to walk, walk, walk as instructed by my surgeons and therapists without someone having to walk with me.

They can be wonderful when properly used, but particularly in crowds consideration is needed, both directions. I was on one cruise where there was a "wannabe terrorist" with a scooter. She was brutal in the way she "drove" and caused many bruised legs for others.

I noticed the same thing. It looks like there are more because there is less space at the front of the dining room on the K.

f54162c741c5e49eee2a7f277c48a09f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because this ship is much larger than other HAL ships, distances to the dining room, theater, etc. are much greater. This makes those who can't walk long distances need help. Just another reason why the K'dam is TOO BIG,

The ship is only 40 feet longer than the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Longer cruises will also tend to have older passengers. 21 days is usually too long for somebody with a full-time job.

igraf

Last spring on our 21 day Westerdam cruise -- very port intensive -- there were quite a few of us using walkers and scooters.
Edited by igraf

Was on a B2B cruise a while ago and the 1st segment was the usual blend of passengers with a few scooters and walkers but the 2nd segment looked like they had emptied several nursing homes with an inordinately large number of scooters and walkers. Just luck of the draw on how many assistance devices you will see I guess.

As noted in one post, HAL is very popular with Seniors (including moi) and as we age...more and more of us need some kind of mobility aid. Celebrity also gets more then its share of scooters/walkers on its longer cruises over 10 days. What is really interesting is that Viking Cruises (very highly rated by most reviewers) does not permit scooters on their ships.

Hank

Was on a B2B cruise a while ago and the 1st segment was the usual blend of passengers with a few scooters and walkers but the 2nd segment looked like they had emptied several nursing homes with an inordinately large number of scooters and walkers. Just luck of the draw on how many assistance devices you will see I guess.

Care to put some numbers on your statement? Thanks.

What difference does it make, we were on the Koningsdam recently and didn't notice an increase in walkers or strollers wether in the Dining Room or elsewhere, and No neither of us use either, at this time.

Care to put some numbers on your statement? Thanks.

Ok, take my post in the fun spirit it is intended. The first time we did a Grand Med cruise it was 62 days, round trip from Port Everglades (on the Prinsendam). The joke about that cruise was that the ambulances pulled up to the ship, offloaded their charges, and were waiting for them when we returned two months later. Our oldest passenger was a gentleman who celebrated his 103rd birthday on the ship. The youngest passenger (Jennifer) was 27...and only on the cruise as the companion of her Grandmother (who was a delight). The number of scooters and walkers were significant...and it was an absolutely delightful cruise. But most HAL lovers do understand that this line does attract a much older clientele,.....especially on the longer voyages. Personally, we see that as a plus....but not all feel the same.

Hank

When on K-dam in November we didn't notice an increase or decrease in mobility aides. We prefer HAL and are younger than the "typical" crowd. Heck we work full time professional jobs! But we love meeting people and crave the solitude on board. We would much rather cruise with retirees (because we aspire to retire one day!) as they have so much to offer to conversations and are fun too! Plus everyone is so nice and we love that. Who cares about scooters - if I need one, I will still cruise! So watch out cause you won't catch me sitting at home!

Any motorized conveyance in a closed environment is a blessing to many, and a threat to others, if used unwisely.

It should be used aptly, and wisely (if the elevator is full, just wait.....do not charge in!!!!)

Anyhow HAL folks are older and more tolerant of these conveyances, and do not see any problems.

I rather a walker than a pram, as there is less noise from the walker :)