My flight leaves 45 minutes before the allowable transfer time.

Ritz Condo

I am booked on Celebrity Soltace South Pacific & Figi Cruise March 1-13, 2017 leaving and returning to Sydney Australia. The flight that l want is fine going to Sydney so l can use the cruise transfer. However, returning to the airport after the cruise, my flight leaves 45 minutes before the allowable transfer. It's the only American Flight ( and l need to use American ) back to the USA. Do you think l can make it on time ( the ship arrives at 6:30 AM and my flight leaves at 10:45 AM) ? If so, what means of transportation should l use. If by cab, about how much would it cost and do they take American money? I walk with a cane, so l can't get to a train with my luggage. I need to use a shared shuttle or cab or something that you can get right at the cruise terminal. (BTW I have spent weeks in Sydney so l don't need to spend another day there and pay for a hotel ) I appreciate any advice. Thank you so much.

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

I am booked on Celebrity Soltace South Pacific & Figi Cruise March 1-13, 2017 leaving and returning to Sydney Australia. The flight that l want is fine going to Sydney so l can use the cruise transfer. However, returning to the airport after the cruise, my flight leaves 45 minutes before the allowable transfer. It's the only American Flight ( and l need to use American ) back to the USA. Do you think l can make it on time ( the ship arrives at 6:30 AM and my flight leaves at 10:45 AM) ? If so, what means of transportation should l use. If by cab, about how much would it cost and do they take American money? I walk with a cane, so l can't get to a train with my luggage. I need to use a shared shuttle or cab or something that you can get right at the cruise terminal. (BTW I have spent weeks in Sydney so l don't need to spend another day there and pay for a hotel ) I appreciate any advice. Thank you so much.

Not a hope in hell.

You need to check in three hours before an international flight, so be 7:45.

Stay overnight and go the next day.

You need to check in three hours before an international flight, so be 7:45.
Do you have a source for this? It's been a long time since I saw any airline other than El Al requiring you to check-in three hours before departure. At some airports, some airlines' check-in desks don't even open until three hours before departure.

Not that this is a recommendation to the OP to risk it. The question I always ask myself is what happens if the ship is three hours late? That has happened to me.

Do you have a source for this? It's been a long time since I saw any airline other than El Al requiring you to check-in three hours before departure. At some airports, some airlines' check-in desks don't even open until three hours before departure.

Not that this is a recommendation to the OP to risk it. The question I always ask myself is what happens if the ship is three hours late? That has happened to me.

Smaybe Sydney airports website that recommends nothing less than two hours at a minimum. Then there can be border protection delays etc, wonder why most people suggest three hours.

http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/prepare/pre-flight-check-for-departures/travel-tips.aspx

Just because your scheduled to dock at 6:30 doesn't mean you'll be off by then, then add the trip to the airport, I stand by my not a hope in hell of a 10:45 flight.

I agree. Staying over a day, even if you need to pay for it, won't be any more than having to change tickets. You'll be much less stressed. I admit I'm fortunate since I am cruising from San Juan Sunday and I always take an afternoon flight. If none was available, I'd stay over and go the next day early. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ritz Condo: As I understand your post you would not be able to self-disembark as that entails being able to remove your luggage from the ship by yourself with absolutely no staff assistance.

We have disembarked twice in Sydney and have had two turnaround days in Sydney between B2B legs. The last time we were in Sydney was in October 2016 while on a turnaround day on a Solstice B2B. So we have actually disembarked at the OPT twice and observed two other disembarkations.

Each time we have been at the OPT the disembarkation process has been very slow as the OPT is smaller than cruise terminals in a number of other parts of the world. The OPT has been remodeled since we first saw it in 2011, but its location limits the size (i.e., it is "hemmed" in by the historic Rocks area and the famous bridge). The smaller luggage hall limits how much luggage the porters can organize at a time. But while it may be a slower disembarkation process, it is extremely organized. Once your tag number called you will have absolutely no problems finding your luggage.

When we disembarked at the OPT in 2011 there was a lengthy wait for a taxi. When we disembarked in 2014 we were directed to the Circular Quay area (about a ten minute walk) as taxis were only dropping folks off (this is when the OPT was being remodeled).

Our favorite Sydney downtown hotel is the Sir Stamford at Circular Quay. We've taken taxis from the Sir Stamford to the airport twice, and my recollection is that the time required was 30 - 40 minutes. While many, if not most, taxis take credit cards I doubt any are able to take US currency. Sydney posters will have a better estimate of time between the OPT and airport.

If you decide to stay in Sydney one more night, consider staying at the Rydges Sydney Airport Hotel. We stayed there for one night in 2014 as we had flown out of Uluru (Ayers Rock) and needed to stay just one more night in Sydney before our morning flight back to the US. Again, the Sydney posters will have additional hotel ideas.

One problem is that you are arriving on a Monday morning. Even if you were to get off by 7am (which I would doubt) you are right in the middle of peak hour. I imagine you will have to go through customs unless they board your ship at your last port and complete some formalities. I expect, regardless, you will have to go through baggage checks for quarantine. Then find transport.

The city is somewhat chaotic at the moment because of the construction of light rail and several main streets are closed. So you would need to allow an hour travel time to be safe. There is also constant bad traffic at the approaches of the airport which will no doubt continue until the second airport is built shortly.

It sounds like you are familiar with Sydney airport so you will recall that there are three queues; your airline check-in, then customs and immigration and then security. There is no train or bus transport within the terminal, though you can of course arrange special assistance. But generally you need to allow ten or fifteen minutes to walk to the gate.

Even though making the flight may be possible there is no way I would contemplate taking the risk.

I do realise that US cash is accepted in many countries but it is not used here. You can use a credit card.

Totally agree with Northern Aurora. You are cutting it very fine and leaving no room for the "unexpected". On the morning of disembarking make your leisurely way to the Rydges Sydney Airport Hotel, which would entail much less stress. This hotel is literally on the door-step of the International Airport. You walk out of Rydges, walk over the crossing, and you are there. Also, I believe you could more than likely get a room overnight for under $AU200, which can be booked using any of the hotel booking websites.

Also you will need Australian currency to pay your taxi fare here. I suggest you get some on your arrival at the airport before your cruise, there are plenty of ATMs there, or get some before you leave.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I agree withGUT2407. Stay an extra night in Sydney and fly out the next day. What is a couple hundred bucks if you miss your flight. This is why we NEVER fly in or fly out the days of embarkation and disembarkation.

I hope the OP returns to let us know if she/he has decided to stay an additional night. I certainly hope that she/he does indeed decide to stay an additional night, possibly at an airport hotel, because I suspect they would miss that 10:45 am flight.

And as CCC's has already noted that Rydges Sydney Airport Hotel is literally across the street from an entrance to the international terminal. We enjoyed a very nice buffet breakfast, leisurely checked out of the hotel and walked across the street. That hotel couldn't be any closer unless it was actually inside the international terminal.

The last time we had a flight out of Sydney, it took an hour to progress through Immigration, Customs and Security.

Hope you will take advice from previous posters to stay overnight, before your flight home.

Avoid the stress and stay overnight. As one poster mentioned, it is more relaxing and unrushed.

Avoid the stress and stay overnight. As one poster mentioned, it is more relaxing and unrushed.

I probably should have added to the couple hundred bucks for the hotel that an extra day of vacation will be required if you are still working. When you are retired you do not need the extra vacation time.

I certainly appreciate all your comments. Thanks so much.

I decided to use another airline and leave at 1:35 PM.

B][/b]

Good luck, still too early for my tastes.

Really?? We were warned by Princess because our flight is 4 hours 50 minutes after disembarkation at 11:50 a.m. instead of their recommended 5 hours. Do you really think 1:35 p.m. is too early? We plan to have a booked transfer to the airport and plan to self disembark, hoping to be off the ship by 8:00 a.m. at the latest.:confused:

We'll be overnight in Sydney with our ship docking at White Bay (?) March 21st; we have a 10:15 flight out on the 22nd. You think this will be an issue?

Can't see how it would be, but it will mean an early start on the 22nd.

Really?? We were warned by Princess because our flight is 4 hours 50 minutes after disembarkation at 11:50 a.m. instead of their recommended 5 hours. Do you really think 1:35 p.m. is too early? We plan to have a booked transfer to the airport and plan to self disembark, hoping to be off the ship by 8:00 a.m. at the latest.:confused:

For me (as I said) yes.

No real wriggle room if anything goes wrong, ship late, delay with customs, accident on road to airport etc.

But then I don't want stress on my last day.

And I have had some nasty delays in that road, not often, but enough to make me wary.

A couple of years ago Sydney harbour was closed and ships were stuck outside for a couple of days as the weather was too dangerous for them to enter. I think that was in March or April? I book domestic flights for the same day but I never book international ones, I prefer a days buffer at least for them, but I usually just extend my holiday by a few days, there's always something new to see even if you've been there before :)