Beverage Package Souvenir Cup

Pipo

Unfortunately, you can't do that on the Royal version, the cup must be present or it won't start to pour.

One thought- the Freestyle machines work off of an RFID chip that should be somewhere on the cup. I've seen disposable cups on Disney property where they put the chip on the bottom of the cup. Assuming that's the case on Royal, it should be possible to carefully remove the chip and put it on whatever's convenient for you to use. Like you could take it off, put it on your room key, and use that to activate the machine and use the container of your choice to hold the drink.

One thought- the Freestyle machines work off of an RFID chip that should be somewhere on the cup. I've seen disposable cups on Disney property where they put the chip on the bottom of the cup. Assuming that's the case on Royal, it should be possible to carefully remove the chip and put it on whatever's convenient for you to use. Like you could take it off, put it on your room key, and use that to activate the machine and use the container of your choice to hold the drink.

The chip is not on the cup it is embedded in it. You would probably damage the chip trying to get it out of the plastic.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

The chip is not on the cup it is embedded in it. You would probably damage the chip trying to get it out of the plastic.

Beat me to it. :) Most consumer RFID chips are embedded (think credit card) and can't be removed without fatal damage.

I've assumed without looking the chip is embedded in the plastic. When I get home, I'll have to look at one.

I don't have pictures of our cups but we sailed on Majesty last month and got 2 cups. One had Santa on it and the other I think had snowflakes on it. Of course, these aren't a good example since they were seasonal. They are nice cups tho. We never used them on the ship tho, we don't drink soda. I can post pictures when I get home later.

Slightly off topic ... but do you all LIKE the Freestyle Coke machines? The actual taste/quality of the beverage from them? (The Brilliance didn't have them, so I haven't experienced them on a ship ... )

We have the machines in a lot of fast food places locally and I do NOT like them at all. I don't know if it's an individual 'location by location' thing or an actual issue with the machines but to me, too often they 'mix' doesn't seem right ... too carbonated or not carbonated enough, or syrups/flavors mixing a bit 'off' in some way.

I don't drink a lot of soft drinks anyway, but if I do happen to get one and it has to be from a Free-style machine, I've found that setting it to 'diet coke' and letting a little run down the drain before putting my cup under the nozzle helps a bit and/or i add a tiny bit of cherry or vanilla to the diet coke so any 'off' flavor is less noticeable ... but I'm not sure how that would work with the 'chip' activate machines.

Is this just my own weirdness?

Kidding sort of....I love Coke, straight-up Coke. Our Wendy's, Zaxby's, 5 Guys, Firehouse Subs, among others have these machines and I cannot stand the taste of the Coke. It just does not taste like Coke to me.

I have used a version of the drink package on our last 4 cruises....Freedom of the Seas twice, Navigator of the Seas and Brilliance of the Seas. As others have mentioned, the BOS did not have the Freestyle Machines (this was April '16). On the first FOS trip, the bartenders were somewhat reticent about filling the cups at the pool bars. I just hung in there and waited them out with a smile. (there was only 1 location on the FOS on that cruise that had FS machines)

On the Navigator and our most recent FOS cruises the bartenders were just much more friendly in everyway about getting drinks of any kind for me. Of course, on the BOS I had no option but the bartenders and, again, their service was great. Love that ship!

I just take my cruise pass with my sticker to dinner and sometimes even up to the bar for a Coke.

One note, the FS machine does not work unless your cup is in place so running the machine to get the 1st dump of a beverage out of the machine and then filling your cup would require you to use the cup and dump the early stuff. Sometimes the machines require to wait a certain number of seconds to start another fill. I have also experienced getting a wait time of a certain number of minutes (I suppose to stop folks from "gaming "the system"). The timing out deal has varied from cruise to cruise and, literally, from refill to refill. Not really an issue, and I have not trying to "game" the system, just get a decent Coke.

Lastly, on our most recent trip (December '16) there were 2 locations on the FOS, each with 2 machines, one pair in the WJ Café and one set next to Sorrentos on deck 5. On several occasions, the ones in the WJ were being "worked on" and out of service.

Edited by baileybrad

Understood, but I do know turn around day is busy so a bunch of cups are turned on before people even board, I assume that is loaded into the computer. Taking this thread another direction, I have noticed everytime I buy the package and go to the machine, it says my cup is good for 2 weeks. Being that I am getting off the ship in 7 days, I never get to try it on day 8 ;)

We were on a 18Dec16 - 24Dec16 Freedom of the Seas cruise and my cup showed an expiration date of 31Dec16. Never thought much about it until I saw your post.

You may be right, but how can you say so with such certainty? I do know you can fill up your cup at one station, walk to the other end of the ship and try to get a refill again in 5 minutes and be told you can't refill for another 10 minutes. Clearly they can identify individual cups and disable them.

The machine can identify an individual cup and know if it's been recently used, but doesn't know who the cup belongs to. They don't track who has which cup, so they wouldn't know which one to disable if you lost yours.

I'm sure this has been answered but how much is a soda? Does it vary by location? Can room service bring included soda if on one of the packages?

Thanks in advance.

Not sure on pricing, it does vary. Soda from room service is not included in the package. They will charge for each individual drink.

I'm sure this has been answered but how much is a soda? Does it vary by location? Can room service bring included soda if on one of the packages?

Thanks in advance.

Single 12oz/355ml can of soda $3.25 plus 18% gratuity (based on the new menus).

No drink package covers room service*.

*Exception: Those that are in Star Class suites on applicable ships (if I'm not mistaken).

Sent from a mobile device

Edited by chandom

Thanks in advance.

A can of soda is aroound $3. A can is the only method of buying soda without a package.

I don't have pictures of our cups but we sailed on Majesty last month and got 2 cups. One had Santa on it and the other I think had snowflakes on it. Of course, these aren't a good example since they were seasonal. They are nice cups tho. We never used them on the ship tho, we don't drink soda. I can post pictures when I get home later.

Here they are...

We sailed 12/2-12/5

IMG_20170110_174300566.jpg.7d16559629db19c3da63b687fd4c6b60.jpg

IMG_20170110_174315766.jpg.7dc8023ec4dce30bb38ffea3e3594b5a.jpg

IMG_20170110_174325296.jpg.6cffb3d18fa2e2840bdf7d4d4c7e73de.jpg

I've assumed without looking the chip is embedded in the plastic. When I get home, I'll have to look at one.

The chip is within the plastic. I saw a YouTube video of a kid showing everyone how to make a scan card out of the chip so you didn't need the cup. His dad smashed the cup and the kid took the chip out and tapped it on the side of his set sail card. He then took it to a machine and scanned it then put a clear cup under it. The processed worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One of these days I'll bring an unused cup from a different ship. Just as experiment to see what happens.

Sent from a mobile device

It won't work, the chip inside the cup has an expiration date on it. BUT, I can bet you can use it on 7-night B2B cruises paying just for the first cruise, because you can check the expiration date at the Freestyle machines, and that expiration date covers 14 nights, despite you only paid for 7...

Edited by Pipo

The chip is within the plastic. I saw a YouTube video of a kid showing everyone how to make a scan card out of the chip so you didn't need the cup. His dad smashed the cup and the kid took the chip out and tapped it on the side of his set sail card. He then took it to a machine and scanned it then put a clear cup under it. The processed worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I guess my question would be "why?". Was there a particular advantage to drinking from the new cup instead of the one he destroyed? Could he not have simply poured the drink into the new cup after filling the original? :confused:

• 1 year later...
For the stickers on the sea pass, are those with the cup in your room when you arrive or do they give them to you at boarding?

This is a really old thread and many things have changed. If you’re just getting the soda package the coke logo is printed on your card. Some other packages still use stickers.

Your seapass card will already have either the printing or the sticker when you get it. On some ships you get the card at check in, on other ships (mostly quantum class) you get the card in your room

On the Oasis Dec,11th and I was at guest services when someone came and said they lost there cup. They were told they could not get a new one. Reason being said was that to many people say they lost them but really didn't.

this is what I Thought was true... You lose your cup ....too bad, someone else drinks your soda all week. Never thought to ask for another cup :loudcry::loudcry::eek:

This is a really old thread and many things have changed. If you’re just getting the soda package the coke logo is printed on your card. Some other packages still use stickers.

Your seapass card will already have either the printing or the sticker when you get it. On some ships you get the card at check in, on other ships (mostly quantum class) you get the card in your room

Thanks. I knew it was old, but also knew one of you rockstars would fill me in.

We got the ultimate drink package, so just wondered how it would work for us. Thanks again.