staggered checkin...could this really work?

luckyinpa

carnival is daring! so how would this work in NYC. i cannot imagine where people would wait. or is this doomed like the NCL checkins are? i'm just picturing the lines of people not being let in because they arrive 930 on a sunday morning in NYC. yea. wouldnt work

How does staggered check-in work?

Passengers will check-in online before their cruise like they normally would. When checking in, they will select a check-in window, complete all required travel information and print out their boarding passes. On embarkation day, they will fill out a quick document, go through security, and board the ship. The cruise line is hoping that this will help streamline the embarkation process and enhance the boarding experience.

Guests must arrive within 30 minutes of the check-in window. Carnival Cruise Line will be strictly enforcing the times to help minimize wait times. Guests who arrive more than 30 minutes before their check-in time will not be allowed to enter the cruise terminal and will be asked to return at their scheduled time.

carnival is daring! so how would this work in NYC. i cannot imagine where people would wait. or is this doomed like the NCL checkins are? i'm just picturing the lines of people not being let in because they arrive 930 on a sunday morning in NYC. yea. wouldnt work

How does staggered check-in work?

Passengers will check-in online before their cruise like they normally would. When checking in, they will select a check-in window, complete all required travel information and print out their boarding passes. On embarkation day, they will fill out a quick document, go through security, and board the ship. The cruise line is hoping that this will help streamline the embarkation process and enhance the boarding experience.

Guests must arrive within 30 minutes of the check-in window. Carnival Cruise Line will be strictly enforcing the times to help minimize wait times. Guests who arrive more than 30 minutes before their check-in time will not be allowed to enter the cruise terminal and will be asked to return at their scheduled time.

They have done it at several other terminals... it works, it does make some mad but it seems to speed up the process. I was hoping that NCL had it down pat, we have it for our Sky cruise in Feb. out of Miami.

I cruised on Carnival out of NYC a few months ago on the Carnival Vista and staggered checkin did not work. No one was enforcing it, i showed up early and nothing happen.. Check in was the same

In June, i am sailing on the Carnival Sunshine, will be interesting to see if staggered check in actually works and then compare to that when i go back to the NYC terminal for the Breakaway in November.

An interesting concept.

Who would choose the arrival time; passenger or NCL?

Would you have to put credit card details (for on board a/c) online?

When and how would you get your room key?

When would non-US citizens have to prove they could land in the USA?

What length would the slots be and how many would there be?

What happens to people who arrive late?

Just a few thoughts in 5 minutes; I'm sure that there must be lots more.

Mike

An interesting concept.

Would you have to put credit card details (for on board a/c) online?

When and how would you get your room key?

When would non-US citizens have to prove they could land in the USA?

What length would the slots be and how many would there be?

What happens to people who arrive late?

Just a few thoughts in 5 minutes; I'm sure that there must be lots more.

Mike

from my experience with carnival:

1)you select the check in time in 30 minute blocks (like 11 to 11:30, 11:30 to 12, and so on)

2) carnival system lets you put in the credit card details. NCL does not do this yet

3) you still get the room key/key card/whatever you call at check in

4) if you show up late, you can still check in and enter the terminal like before

An interesting concept.

This I can answer for Sky in Feb. out of Miami... when I did my online check-in I was offered times to show up at the port. I selected the 10-10:30am option and once I paid in full and could print my documents it showed that I am to show up between 10 to 10:30 am at the terminal to be processed for boarding... IT does not say I will board though...

With Carnival the later you book/pay in full the less options you have for time to arrive, I think the same would apply for NCL. We live near the Charleston, SC port and times range from 11am to 1:30pm, people do try to show early and are turned away from entering the terminal til their time arrives. I've been in line for a cruise with an early check-in time and seen people turned away, not very happy I might add. But the time is right on their documents which they printed, go figure!

I'd read that NCL is not monitoring the check-in times (as opposed to Carnival). My experience in New Orleans in December confirmed what I read about NCL (no idea about Charleston). I will say that NCL NOLA did a pretty good job of monitoring boarding group numbers. I'd never experienced group number monitoring by NCL in Miami. NOLA was my first experience with a boarding time.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

from my experience with carnival:

1)you select the check in time in 30 minute blocks (like 11 to 11:30, 11:30 to 12, and so on)

2) carnival system lets you put in the credit card details. NCL does not do this yet

3) you still get the room key/key card/whatever you call at check in

4) if you show up late, you can still check in and enter the terminal like before

So everyone still has to go to the counter to get pictures taken and room cards issued. The only thing that wouldn't have to happen is the credit card processed, and what do you want to bet, they will probably go over the credit card details again also, even if you have entered it months before. I can't see that it would save anyone much time. What it WILL do is tick off the people who want to arrive early but are told they have to arrive late, and also the people who like to arrive late, but must arrive early.

Can't people be treated like adults who can figure out what is the most convenient time for them to arrive based on a myriad of factors from flight arrival time, ( do we now have to choose flight times that mesh with the available check in times on the ship? ) drive times, etc.

Is the check in process really that bad? I never thought so. Never waited long at all. If they did away with the race to Guest Services for the Adult Only passes on the mega ships, it would eliminate a good number of the people who show up at 9:30.

I've been in line for a cruise with an early check-in time and seen people turned away, not very happy I might add. But the time is right on their documents which they printed, go figure!

I don't think anyone who arrives in Ft Lauderdale on an 8:00 or 9:00 am flight is going to be thrilled with a 1:30 check in time at the cruise terminal in Miami, but maybe it's just me. A choice of sitting around an airport for 2 or 3 hours, or standing in the hot sun outside the terminal when I could have been on the ship hours before do not seem to be very pro customer rules.

I don't think it's a matter of "yet". It would be easy to add this to the online check-in if they wanted to. But, the credit card data has to be stored securely for weeks/months, and there is a degree of risk there (for the customer). And there is also a risk (for the cruise line) in accepting self-reported credit card numbers, as opposed to swiping a physical card, in person.

I prefer NCL's current system, even if it does add one minute to the check-in process (for most cases).

On Costa check in is simplified...and your room key is laying on your bed. I'm not sure why they haven't come up with self check in kiosks...most information of which they already know or could know in advance. Take a selfie at the kiosk. Ditto for swiping your credit card.

Edited by WeBeCruisers?

I don't think it's a matter of "yet". It would be easy to add this to the online check-in if they wanted to. But, the credit card data has to be stored securely for weeks/months, and there is a degree of risk there (for the customer). And there is also a risk (for the cruise line) in accepting self-reported credit card numbers, as opposed to swiping a physical card, in person.

I prefer NCL's current system, even if it does add one minute to the check-in process (for most cases).

I agree. Things happen over a period of several weeks or months. Cards expire, credit limit gets maxed, you decide you want to use a different card, etc.

They 'could' ask you to enter this info late in the process, maybe just before you print boarding passes or some earlier point.

This all sounds like another attempt by the cruise industry to save costs but I don't think they have thought this through, for instance:

1) An entered credit card number cost more than a swiped credit card transaction

2) Someone has to swipe the passports and ensure the person entering the ship is correct, the whole thought of security issues this would cause if not done is scary to say the least.

3) So if you still need pictures and key cards before boarding, what exactly does this save?

Before NCL starts a major change like this I hope they get a mob of cynical long time cruisers to look into it very deeply. There are enough people here on CC who would fit the bill. Iron out the fish-hooks before implementation. Unfortunately NCL is NOT good at thinking things through before implementing them.

How would you change that "fiasco"?

Allow a certain percentage of available passes to be sold online, select a certain number to be held by the concierge, and the rest are given to whomever has their name/stateroom pulled from the pot "bingo style".

Just announce that the drawing will be done at a certain time after muster and winners must be present to win. If a name/number is called and the winner isn't there, another name/number is called. Once they are gone, they are gone.

I'd read that NCL is not monitoring the check-in times (as opposed to Carnival). My experience in New Orleans in December confirmed what I read about NCL (no idea about Charleston). I will say that NCL NOLA did a pretty good job of monitoring boarding group numbers. I'd never experienced group number monitoring by NCL in Miami. NOLA was my first experience with a boarding time.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

i've only ever been to NYC but i cannot imagine them monitoring how you get in the building. the steps from the parking garage, the elevator, both dump you inside the building (you have to walk outside on ground level for porters to take your luggage)

then from wherever else people arrive there didnt seem to be much of a real waiting area for 4000 people who are trying to get in the building.

Everything everybody mentioned here can be done from the kiosk. It's done everyday somehow somewhere. You can swipe your own credit card, you can take your own picture, and you can insert your own passport.

True, you could. But, how is it verified that the person holding your passport in the kiosk is "you". The same process could be used for flying as well. Scan your boarding pass, and passport and board the plane. Somehow I don't think that will ever happen.

Edited by punkincc

True, you could. But, how is it verified that ther person holding your passport in the kiosk is "you". The same process could be used for flying as well. Scan your boarding pass, and passport and board the plane. Somehow I don't think that will ever happen.

Almost the same as it is today, when you get your picture taken it's compared against your passport picture. Pretty high-tech but it could be done just like you have a security agent look at your ID today. And then maybe as a backup, someone physically looks at it as you're entering the gate. That would take another ten seconds.

i've only ever been to NYC but i cannot imagine them monitoring how you get in the building. the steps from the parking garage, the elevator, both dump you inside the building (you have to walk outside on ground level for porters to take your luggage)

then from wherever else people arrive there didnt seem to be much of a real waiting area for 4000 people who are trying to get in the building.

The monitoring of group numbers was supposed to be for exiting the building --boarding ships in small, controlled groups--based on when you arrived from the security area. The longest wait I've ever had going into a building was 1.5 hours (just a very long line of cruisers) outside Barcelona terminal for the Epic transatlantic in Oct. 2016. It was about 2 hours from bus drop-off until we were inside the ship. Boarding times were not assigned for that cruise. I have no idea what the wait was like for Jade berthed next to Epic. Fortunately, it was not hot or wet. Still, I think NCL embarkation works all right from a cruiser viewpoint (Port Canaveral, Miami, Barcelona, and New Orleans)--even when eager cruisers jump ahead. I have no idea what the company thinks about their methods except that, it is attempting change.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Edited by Rhea98

Charleston is a unique port in that you have to take a "shuttle" (really a bus) from a check point to the entrance to the terminal. No one can "walk up" to the entrance, a security feature but it also allows them to control who boards the bus... if your time has not arrived nor do you!

NCL will only make it work if there are signs with times (large signs) above the entrance stating what group is allowed in, if you time is already passed you can go in, if not you have to wait til it arrives.

Of course Suites/Haven/etc and cruisers with enough rewards points can ignore the times and show up whenever you want...