The Cruise: Featuring Royal Princess - 2nd TV Series

cruisefan2012

You did? You really thought what was being served was worth the hype it was being given.
Yes, because as I said food is subjective and with not being able to taste it, which is one of the main indicators of wether it is good or not, it looked good to me. How do you know it was bad? Did you taste it?

Yes, because as I said food is subjective and with not being able to taste it, which is one of the main indicators of wether it is good or not, it looked good to me. How do you know it was bad? Did you taste it?

You thought it looked good? Fair enough, you are obviously in their target market.

Pete,

Can I just say that my comment, which you refer to, was a stupid reply to the even more stupid original comment "far more glamorous and glitzy than Britannia, Royal and Regal can be considered Broadway whilst Britannia is more Rochdale Hippodrome".

The guy has clearly not been on Britannia, or fell asleep through most of the cruise if he did.

Sorry if you didn't think it was educated enough for you

It was my "stupid" comment and I have been on Britannia twice and whether awake or asleep the decor, style, layout and furnishings are bland, and the Atrium has less style than a John Lewis store.

Our first real cruise was on Coral Princess, with a stunning Atrium, stylish dining rooms and glitzy public rooms and we were hooked immediately.

Although we thoroughly enjoyed both Britannia cruises it has little of the style that drew us to cruising, and if it had been our first cruise then I doubt we would have become so addicted.

However these are just my opinions and I accept that others will have different views but I am quite happy to accept them without any disparaging comments.

It was my "stupid" comment and I have been on Britannia twice and whether awake or asleep the decor, style, layout and furnishings are bland, and the Atrium has less style than a John Lewis store.

Our first real cruise was on Coral Princess, with a stunning Atrium, stylish dining rooms and glitzy public rooms and we were hooked immediately.

Although we thoroughly enjoyed both Britannia cruises it has little of the style that drew us to cruising, and if it had been our first cruise then I doubt we would have become so addicted.

However these are just my opinions and I accept that others will have different views but I am quite happy to accept them without any disparaging comments.

All in your opinion :D

Why would you settle for Britannia's Ikea when you can have proper cruise ship bling with Princess and RCI.

I suspect my answer is along the lines of why would you want American bling when you can have Britannia Ikea?... not that I agree with the Ikea reference. When I am cruising I like to feel the ship is my home and I would never have a bling home.

I quite enjoy it although I agree it doesn't give a good impression.

My favourites are the British engineer and the chef.

I am confused Timothy on the front desk got "promoted" to the Excursions team last time but was back on the desk again?!

Agree the most travelled thing came across as quite cheesy but as I have never experienced this event myself it doesn't bother me.

Interestingly a friend of mine saw one of the last series before she went on her first ever cruise and was horrified and hoped her cruise wouldn't be like that - She was going on RCI's Independence of the Seas (and I thought oh dear if she thinks Princess is over the top what will she think of RCI) - and guess what, she loved her cruise!

This article explains Timothy's change in roles http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=7515

Oh dear, We had non cruising friends and family round and someone said "theres a cruise programme on,turn on the tv.! The sheer gluttony,self importance of spending four or five cruises a year self indulging (and it showed)being cosseted by third world staff..This showed people living in a bubble and in many ways apart from reality as most of us know.....A discussion followed and my wife and I who have only done three cruises,(No4 next month) found ourselves defending ourselves! After a lifetime of world travel..... backpacking (the pleasures of( Nairobi backpackers at aged 72!) ,fly drive,rail,we chose a cruise after I had an op on a detached retina. We enjoyed that cruise with Fred Olsen, choosing Norway a place where being on a ship may be the best way to see things.....We had to agree however that by and large cruising is dumbed down tourism and we have now joined that particular group.....In our own defence we pointed out that we do it our way.... use the gym,seldom take the lift,walk when we can and skip lunch on shore days. Whats more we have found many like us. We do the formal nights, comfortable in a dark suit, my wife likes to dress up a bit though. As for cruising more often? We like to try other travel adventures too so one a year is good for us. Also have to take into account Grandchildren getting on and in to University,Babysitting,Bank of Mum and Dad and spending a little of our time on charity work. We hope its a decent balance.

Just like the Fred Olsen film, if you had never cruised, this would put you off for ever. I have colleagues who haven't cruised who watched this and said how awful it made cruising look. Have to agree.

I suspect my answer is along the lines of why would you want American bling when you can have Britannia Ikea?... not that I agree with the Ikea reference. When I am cruising I like to feel the ship is my home and I would never have a bling home.

When I cruise I like to feel I am on holiday, away from anything that reminds me of home; OK maybe bling was the wrong description, but I certainly want my hotel to look far more stylish and a lot "jazzier" than Britannia.

But again I do stress that this is only my opinion, and for those that like bland and homely, then that is also their prerogative.

When I cruise I like to feel I am on holiday, away from anything that reminds me of home; OK maybe bling was the wrong description, but I certainly want my hotel to look far more stylish and a lot "jazzier" than Britannia.

But again I do stress that this is only my opinion, and for those that like bland and homely, then that is also their prerogative.

We are keen Princess cruisers and realised during the first series that these are TV entertainment programmes rather than documentaries. We have both wondered what non-cruisers think, given that the shows have to try and create some drama when really most people are just enjoying their holiday.

We are cruising on P&O for the first time in April. Having been on Royal Princess for a fortnight last summer we were comfortable with the thought of our maiden P&O voyage being on Britannia as the ship is the same design. Having read some of the comments on here I'm a little concerned. We enjoy the style of the American ships.

We are keen Princess cruisers and realised during the first series that these are TV entertainment programmes rather than documentaries. We have both wondered what non-cruisers think, given that the shows have to try and create some drama when really most people are just enjoying their holiday.

We are cruising on P&O for the first time in April. Having been on Royal Princess for a fortnight last summer we were comfortable with the thought of our maiden P&O voyage being on Britannia as the ship is the same design. Having read some of the comments on here I'm a little concerned. We enjoy the style of the American ships.

Britannia is a modern contemporary design. You may or may not like that but it is a great ship. Don't be put off by some of the comments on here, particularly on this thread, as some people like to make the same comment over and over and over again. Make your own mind up. Enjoy your cruise.

We have been on both ships and enjoyed both cruises. Although the ships are the same design there are a lot of differences. As has been stated before the decor is much more contemporary on Britannia and the atrium is less used and a completely different design.

The buffet restaurant is great and a similar size to the Royal Princess.

Britannia has one plus which Royal Princess doesnt have which is the Crows Nest bar at the front of the ship our favourite bar.

So be prepared for less glitz and I am sure you will enjoy Britannia.

How formal is it onboard the Princess ships? As nobody seemed to dress up very much for the formal nights on the program, I didn't see any long dresses at all. Just need to know as was thinking of trying Princess and don't want to turn up with long sequinned dresses and feel out of place.

How formal is it onboard the Princess ships? As nobody seemed to dress up very much for the formal nights on the program, I didn't see any long dresses at all. Just need to know as was thinking of trying Princess and don't want to turn up with long sequinned dresses and feel out of place.

Depends which cruise you are thinking about.

We have done 2 Princess cruises from Southampton the first one was mainly American passengers and not many formal dresses and most people quite casually dressed. The second cruise mainly British passengers and mostly dressed very smart plenty of long dresses and dinner jackets.

It seems to be that Americans idea of formal isnt the same as ours.

Depends which cruise you are thinking about.

We have done 2 Princess cruises from Southampton the first one was mainly American passengers and not many formal dresses and most people quite casually dressed. The second cruise mainly British passengers and mostly dressed very smart plenty of long dresses and dinner jackets.

It seems to be that Americans idea of formal isnt the same as ours.

I've been on 4 Princess cruises and can confirm the level of formal depends on the departure port and the ratio of Brits to Americans.

Our 1st was around the Caribbean and it was no way near as formal as It was on the Med ones. The highest being the ones that sailed from Southampton with more Brits on board. We did a mini on the Grand and although there was no official formal nights you could tell the English as we were the ones that dressed up anyway.

Last year we were on the Carnival Vista sailing around the Med and they did next to nothing to inforce any level of smart wear in the main dinning room, formal night or not. Princess do enforce a dress code in the dinning room.