Leaving kids on the ship while at port-questions for new RCCL cruiser

1. If you leave your child on the ship while you go on an island excursion, the great probability is that all will be well. However, no guarantees exist, so you have to decide whether you're willing to take that small risk.

2. If you're gone for several hours, you do run the risk -- sure, not a big risk, but still quite possible -- that something negative could happen in the kids' club: your child could get sick, could decide he just isn't having fun that day at the club /doesn't like the activities being offered at that point, could fall victim to a mean kid he just doesn't like, could decide he wishes he'd gone with you ... and no option exists for the child. He has to stay in the club. Though not probable, it's an uncomfortable situation.

3. If you're on a ship-sponsored excursion, they DO NOT promise to wait for you. They wait for the excursion. That is, if the excursion is finished and the tour guides have reported "all is well, we're done", yet you personally don't board the ship -- yes, people do this all the time: they wander around the port in sight of the ship, drinking a $1 beer or shopping for cheap tee shirts, and they cut it close in terms of returning to the ship.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

Edited by MrsPete

I was going to reply this, but you beat me to it.

I'm not sure the big worry here. The number of ship sponsored excursions that don't make it back on top are small. The number that have been so late that the ship cannot wait for the amount of time that the excursion is late is miniscule. The ship will wait as long as possible for ship sponsored excursions, so long as there are no port issues and the timing of the itinerary allows them to do so to some extent.

But if the worst does happen (bus problems, road blocked, whatever), what do you think will happen? They don't take the kids and dump them in the slums or toss them overboard. They will have a person dedicated to taking care of them until the parents are returned. Since it was an RCCL excursion, I doubt there would be any expense at all actually. I would be surprised if the parents were billed for it. They would get fed, played with, probably ridiculously pampered by someone from the AO staff. The worst that will happen is the kid will miss mom/dad and cry for a bit.

I agree there would be no expense it you we on an RCL excursion limited the OP, I was thinking it you were doing your own thing the week charge you the inroom babysitting fee for the whole time.

Had the OP simply asked the question "[D]o the [kids'] clubs stay open while at port?", the thread would have petered out in less than a page. Unfortunately, giving a good deal more information than was necessary and saying that people who disagreed with her approach shouldn't bother posting simply served to get the very reaction she was trying to avoid. A fatal error on any board is to say that those who disagree with one's position need not reply.

One thing to consider: we were on the balcony once enjoying sailaway from Calica, Mexico, about 100 feet from the pier pulling slowly away. A cab pulled up, two screaming people emerged and started yelling. They were screaming: "Our kids are onboard! Our kids!" No joke- it was incredibly sad to see the ship pulling away from them.

What wound up happening: the ship stopped (!!!) and after about 1/2 hour sent a tender to the pier to grab the two people and bring them onboard. That night, everyone was talking about it...no one on the crew had ever seen the ship send a tender out for missed passengers. This was Celebrity Mercury in 1999...our first cruise, before we had kids. (I am guessing most ships wouldn't do that, especially these days!). To this day, because that scared me so much, there is no way I could leave my kids onboard.

That said, I'll let others speak to the details of the Norway cruise and how it works, but I hope you'll add a BIG time buffer to be sure you get back onboard!

A couple of years ago we watched a Celebrity ship sail away....and then 30 minutes later sail back, and then sail away again. Unsure who they forgot to pick up

She may not have asked directly but she asked this, I copied it from her post: Any things I should consider with RCCL and kids staying onboard?

She was given that, the good, the bad and the ugly...some of it she didn't agree with.

As I said in another post, I do not believe leaving your 5 yr old on a ship ina foreign country can equate to day care or school.

Well, with the mention of not wanting those specific opinions on whether it should be done or not, it seemed clear she was asking that to find anything else she might have not thought of in relation to the process of adventure ocean and leaving their child there. When you specifically say you don't want something, that doesn't mean she wants it when asked for anything else. Those are the comments she did not agree with.

I disagree with that. For two reasons. One is this is also a process a parent goes through with onboard daycare. Do they want to do it and do they trust it from this company. It being on a ship, and for only a week, does not change that process. The second is some people use temporary daycares. Heck, there are places like restaurants and other areas that have childcare for parents to eat, go shopping, etc for an hour or two while they watch their children.

I do respect your opinion to have on things, even if we don't agree with them. I am just trying to put the reasoning behind my side of it.

Had the OP simply asked the question "[D]o the [kids'] clubs stay open while at port?", the thread would have petered out in less than a page. Unfortunately, giving a good deal more information than was necessary and saying that people who disagreed with her approach shouldn't bother posting simply served to get the very reaction she was trying to avoid. A fatal error on any board is to say that those who disagree with one's position need not reply.

I have to say, I highly doubt it. Being on CC long enough, there would certainly be people, probably even more, who would have jumped on criticizing the OP for being a bad parent for leaving their child onboard. It happens pretty much on every post involving something like that. I think they were hoping to cut it off before it begun. And for all we know likely kept others from jumping in with it.

I think some of what the OP was looking for was specific to how RCCL might handle her situation, so the info had to be given out.

I haven't waded through all the posts, but to the OP: I hope you enjoy your excursion and your 5 year old enjoys AO. I remember being on a Mediterranean cruise with small children on an excursion and the kids were tired and cranky. They had no interest in cathedrals or historic sites. Those kids would have been better off on the ship. The parents did not enjoy the excursion and kept asking the tour guide when it was going to end. Everyone was glad to see that excursion end because of those kids.

A parent knows what is best for their child and what others think is irrelevant.

Enjoy your cruise, op!

I have to say, I highly doubt it. Being on CC long enough, there would certainly be people, probably even more, who would have jumped on criticizing the OP for being a bad parent for leaving their child onboard. It happens pretty much on every post involving something like that. I think they were hoping to cut it off before it begun. And for all we know likely kept others from jumping in with it.

I think some of what the OP was looking for was specific to how RCCL might handle her situation, so the info had to be given out.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. She came out waving a red flag and received a predictable response.

Couldn't agree more. OP threw down the gauntlet. These parenting threads are always pretty entertaining. :D

Well, with the mention of not wanting those specific opinions on whether it should be done or not, it seemed clear she was asking that to find anything else she might have not thought of in relation to the process of adventure ocean and leaving their child there. When you specifically say you don't want something, that doesn't mean she wants it when asked for anything else. Those are the comments she did not agree with.

I disagree with that. For two reasons. One is this is also a process a parent goes through with onboard daycare. Do they want to do it and do they trust it from this company. It being on a ship, and for only a week, does not change that process. The second is some people use temporary daycares. Heck, there are places like restaurants and other areas that have childcare for parents to eat, go shopping, etc for an hour or two while they watch their children.

I do respect your opinion to have on things, even if we don't agree with them. I am just trying to put the reasoning behind my side of it.

I believe she was unhappy with anyone who disagreed with her, and asking what else to think of, she got just that.

I disagree with the process a parent goes through on a ship. In all my years on CC not one parent has ever chosen a cruise based on the onboard child care. Parents do not question it at all, they take it at face value. Once on the ship, they tour but at that point its just routine. They have already decided to use the child care....WITHOUT research. Your second point. If I am at a restaurant eating, and my child is in the daycare at the restaurant, that is a HUGE difference than being on a cruise ship while I am off who knows where in a foreign country. Having said that, I do not agree with that either. I do believe parent(s) deserve time out and away from the kids. I do not agree with letting anyone watch your kids, if even for an hour or two.

Thanks, anyone can have a difference of opinion, its how you discuss it that matters. I respect anyones right to have their opinion.

Edited by tennislvr8

I didn't see the OP put out any red flag or throw down any gauntlet. She made it evident she was already aware some people disagreed with the practice, and didn't wish to debate it in this thread she started to glean info. about a matter of interest to her, not to serve as a soap box for opportunists.

If she hadn't said something to that effect, critics might think she hadn't thought of those concerns and feel emboldened to preach against what she intended to do (which obviously quite a number did anyway). By letting them know she was already aware, they were basically invited to live & let live.

Better luck next time, OP.

Richard.

I believe she was unhappy with anyone who disagreed with her, and asking what else to think of, she got just that.

I disagree with the process a parent goes through on a ship. In all my years on CC not one parent has ever chosen a cruise based on the onboard child care. Parents do not question it at all, they take it at face value. Once on the ship, they tour but at that point its just routine. They have already decided to use the child care....WITHOUT research. Your second point. If I am at a restaurant eating, and my child is in the daycare at the restaurant, that is a HUGE difference than being on a cruise ship while I am off who knows where in a foreign country. Having said that, I do not agree with that either. I do believe parent(s) deserve time out and away from the kids. I do not agree with letting anyone watch your kids, if even for an hour or two.

Thanks, anyone can have a difference of opinion, its how you discuss it that matters. I respect anyones right to have their opinion.

Well, I know if I say I don't want information about something specific on a topic, then ask about anything else, I STILL don't want that specific thing. If you tell me it anyway then I would be annoyed by it. For example. "I am looking for a dessert. I don't want anything with Chocolate, because I hate it. Can you give me any suggestions. If you tell me chocolate, I'll be annoyed. That's exactly what happened with that.

I should have been more clear of it, sorry. I meant they do the process on whether they will use the onboard daycare or not. They won't choose a ship based on it, but they will decide if they are comfortable using it or not. In this case, they are trusting that the cruise line, RCCL in this case, does proper vetting to get good help. Considering they handle millions of kids ever year, without many incidents, it's probably a good bet to say they're safe. I'm not sure what research there is to do at that point. If a place can handle millions of kids every year, they should be able to handle mine. *grin*

Well. how are parents supposed to get away from their kids on that point then, if no one is allowed to watch them? Or is it only ok if a family member goes onboard? No daycares? No babysitters? A parent with no family member nearby can never do anything without them at that point.

And yes, differing opinions are good. They give you an expanded view on things you haven't thought of sometime.

Well, I know if I say I don't want information about something specific on a topic, then ask about anything else, I STILL don't want that specific thing. If you tell me it anyway then I would be annoyed by it. For example. "I am looking for a dessert. I don't want anything with Chocolate, because I hate it. Can you give me any suggestions. If you tell me chocolate, I'll be annoyed. That's exactly what happened with that.

I should have been more clear of it, sorry. I meant they do the process on whether they will use the onboard daycare or not. They won't choose a ship based on it, but they will decide if they are comfortable using it or not. In this case, they are trusting that the cruise line, RCCL in this case, does proper vetting to get good help. Considering they handle millions of kids ever year, without many incidents, it's probably a good bet to say they're safe. I'm not sure what research there is to do at that point. If a place can handle millions of kids every year, they should be able to handle mine. *grin*

Well. how are parents supposed to get away from their kids on that point then, if no one is allowed to watch them? Or is it only ok if a family member goes onboard? No daycares? No babysitters? A parent with no family member nearby can never do anything without them at that point.

And yes, differing opinions are good. They give you an expanded view on things you haven't thought of sometime.

I wouldn't tell you about chocolate if you said you didn't want chocolate. She asked what else should she know, that left the door wide open. She said she didn't want to be called a bad parent, I didn't call her that.

I would let my 5 year old use the kids club w babysitting as long as I remained on the ship, when I leave so does my 5 yr old.

On land, I would let someone I trust babysit my child when I needed to ship or have dinner. Not a complete stranger.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

I wouldn't tell you about chocolate if you said you didn't want chocolate. She asked what else should she know, that left the door wide open. She said she didn't want to be called a bad parent, I didn't call her that.

I would let my 5 year old use the kids club w babysitting as long as I remained on the ship, when I leave so does my 5 yr old.

On land, I would let someone I trust babysit my child when I needed to ship or have dinner. Not a complete stranger.

Yes, but she specifically said she didn't want to hear about whether it was a good idea or not. That means she wants that door closed, not left it wide open. Not after she said she didn't want to hear about it. You're allowed to ask for general info afterwards, it doesn't mean you suddenly want to hear comments about something you specifically said you didn't the paragraph before. But people still talked about it and said it anyway. And no, I am not saying you did. Others did though, I'm just saying it's why she commented about things to those who did.

So it's basically the leaving the ship you don't agree with. Which is fine, some people don't agree with that. If you're not comfortable with it, you shouldn't really. Every parent should stick to what they're comfortable with, and what they feel their child is. Others obviously will think otherwise, and are comfortable with it. That's why we have differing opinions *grin*

Yes, but she specifically said she didn't want to hear about whether it was a good idea or not. That means she wants that door closed, not left it wide open. Not after she said she didn't want to hear about it. You're allowed to ask for general info afterwards, it doesn't mean you suddenly want to hear comments about something you specifically said you didn't the paragraph before. But people still talked about it and said it anyway. And no, I am not saying you did. Others did though, I'm just saying it's why she commented about things to those who did.

So it's basically the leaving the ship you don't agree with. Which is fine, some people don't agree with that. If you're not comfortable with it, you shouldn't really. Every parent should stick to what they're comfortable with, and what they feel their child is. Others obviously will think otherwise, and are comfortable with it. That's why we have differing opinions *grin*

Yes, I said that long ago, leaving the ship for an excursion while your 5 yr old remained behind was what I had an issue with.

What are you talking about? There are tons of threads on this board researching child care on RCL and every other cruise line. The cruise lines also publish their requirements. RCL follows all of the DHS laws of the state they are departing from, and require much higher requirements for the employees than any on shore daycare and more than most schools do of beginning teachers. All employees must have a 4 year college education in early childhood education or similar, plus two years of applicable work experience. They are all CPR certified, and from my understanding have many other certifications required and do continuous education. Further, they never allow a single AO crew member to be alone with kids, everything is done with at least pairs of crew members.

I take my DD to one of, if not the most, highly rated daycares in my city, and the adventure ocean crew members are far more qualified than the vast majority of employees there. I was extremely happy with how they took care of my 7 month baby on Liberty, and I paid lots of attention to how they interacted with me, my baby and the other kids in the club. I also showed up earlier than planned without warning most of the time. It was very nice that my wife and I could go to the gym and adult comedy while DD played and slept.

Obviously you are just against the idea of child care. Since you are claim you are a teacher, I have no idea how you think letting your child go to AO is any different than them going to school. Except it is easier to talk to the AO staff than most teachers and the AO staff is never in a 1 on 1 situation with any child. Not to mention the ratios of kids/staff are much tighter than most schools.

BTW: I think a lot of people choose their ship and line based on their research of child care. I will not go on anything smaller than Freedom class until my DD is older. Look how many people will pay double for Disney due to their kids programs. Every first time cruiser with kids I know has thoroughly researched the child options before booking the cruise.

Edited by OSUZorba

I have to wonder why you start a thread then ignore what just about every reply mentions. While the chances are low, the ship most certainly can leave without you, even if you are on a ship excursion.

OPs question was simply if AO was open, and he/she even proactively mentioned that they were not looking for opinions if leaving the kids on the ship was a good idea.

There's a low chance of something bad happening with every action we take (and don't take).

So I have to wonder why you felt compelled to offer your opinion and question OPs motives.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, whether they agree or disagree. Just as she is entitled to have her own opinion and voice it about leaving her son, others are entitle to disagree and voice it.

Yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, not their own facts. You can not have an opinion that 1 is more than 2. And you can not have an opinion that there is more risk involved in leaving you kid in AO while you visit a port than there is in leaving a kid in day care or kindergarten while you go about your normal work day.

Unfortunately Bad things can and do happen to kids in school and daycare and bad things happen to their parents sometimes too - with far greater frequency. But the bottom line is, if something really bad happened to us or our kids, where it happened would be the least of our concerns.

What are you talking about? There are tons of threads on this board researching child care on RCL and every other cruise line. The cruise lines also publish their requirements. RCL follows all of the DHS laws of the state they are departing from, and require much higher requirements for the employees than any on shore daycare and more than most schools do of beginning teachers. All employees must have a 4 year college education in early childhood education or similar, plus two years of applicable work experience. They are all CPR certified, and from my understanding have many other certifications required and do continuous education. Further, they never allow a single AO crew member to be alone with kids, everything is done with at least pairs of crew members.

I take my DD to one of, if not the most, highly rated daycares in my city, and the adventure ocean crew members are far more qualified than the vast majority of employees there. I was extremely happy with how they took care of my 7 month baby on Liberty, and I paid lots of attention to how they interacted with me, my baby and the other kids in the club. I also showed up earlier than planned without warning most of the time. It was very nice that my wife and I could go to the gym and adult comedy while DD played and slept.

Obviously you are just against the idea of child care. Since you are claim you are a teacher, I have no idea how you think letting your child go to AO is any different than them going to school. Except it is easier to talk to the AO staff than most teachers and the AO staff is never in a 1 on 1 situation with any child. Not to mention the ratios of kids/staff are much tighter than most schools.

BTW: I think a lot of people choose their ship and line based on their research of child care. I will not go on anything smaller than Freedom class until my DD is older. Look how many people will pay double for Disney due to their kids programs. Every first time cruiser with kids I know has thoroughly researched the child options before booking the cruise.

Reading is fundamental. My issue is with leaving a 5 year old on the ship in a foreign country while the parents leave the ship on an exercising. As I have said in several posts, the cons far out weigh the pros. No where did I say I was against child care.

Reading is fundamental. My issue is with leaving a 5 year old on the ship in a foreign country while the parents leave the ship on an exercising. As I have said in several posts, the cons far out weigh the pros. No where did I say I was against child care.

I think it's the opposite. The risk of the parents not making it back to the ship is SO timy, I've never even heard of it happening. And if it did happen, the child is SAFE. One benefit of having your kids watched by different people is that they don't freak out if emergencies happen (which they can, even on land). My kids had lots of sitters - teens, grandparents, friends of ours, part time nanny, daycare, preschools... They loved it.

Please read above in red. It reads as though you aren't a fan of child care/day care.

As you said in the second post I quoted everyone has a right to their opinion. This discussion is like a revolving door. You are not a fan of RC child care and others are. There is no end to this type of discussion.

Edited by A&L_Ont

I just don't see where the risk is in this scenario. The worst case is that my kids cry for a few minutes at bedtime - but they are safe and sound! No risk to them at all!

My opinion is that the risk is much higher for those visiting the foreign country than staying on the ship.

Since you say that the risk is far too great - maybe you can explain what the risk is to the children who stay on the ship without their parents?

She asked how it worked on RCI and I believe she was given that, even when it did not agree with leaving him on board.

Not wanting to do that on vacation, I am sorry but you are the parent. If you don't want to do that on vacation, go without your child or stay home. Depending on the age of your child I might agree with you, at the age of 5 I don't.

Would she leave her child with virtual strangers in a strange place at home? Not sure what part confuses you??

I bet she would - I've left my kids with (vetted) strangers a lot. She wants to take an excursion with her older kids, nothing wrong with that. I've taken older kids off of the ship, and left the younger ones behind (with grandparents, but would've left them in the kids club). Many, many people do this every day!

Please read above in red. It reads as though you aren't a fan of child care/day care.

As you said in the second post I quoted everyone has a right to their opinion. This discussion is like a revolving door. You are not a fan of RC child care and others are. There is no end to this type of discussion.

I think you need to reread what you wrote. You said no one researches ship child care, which is an outright lie. Then you say you are against anyone watching other people's kids. Considering you said you are a teacher, I'm not sure how you reconcile that opinion with your profession.

To be fair here, the OP also said, multiple times that RCCL excursion means the ship "cannot leave without me", etc. It seemed her decision to leave the child onboard had to do with this wrong information. When corrected, she then looked to validate her reasons another way. I think it's fair for commenters to correct her incorrect information. When she made it clear she wasn't interested in having correct information, but just looking for validation, I let it be :)