Free Pub lunch gone

antsp

Not that I'm all that careful about what I eat all the time but I can only wonder if the percentages of heart disease & strokes in the UK are much different with a diet like that.

Also comparable to German night in the Horizon. It's almost impossible to find anything to eat that isn't loaded with fat.

About 610,000 people die of heart disease in the United States every year–that’s 1 in every 4 deaths.

In the UK, about 1 in 6 men and 1 in 10 women die from it.

About 610,000 people die of heart disease in the United States every year–that’s 1 in every 4 deaths.

In the UK, about 1 in 6 men and 1 in 10 women die from it.

Additionally, per 100,000 population, the rate of people with heart disease (not deaths) in USA is 77, UK is 60.

But then a lot of people assume that the pub lunch on a Princess ship is what we Brits eat all the time when in fact it is a very very small part of what we eat.

Not that I'm all that careful about what I eat all the time but I can only wonder if the percentages of heart disease & strokes in the UK are much different with a diet like that.

Also comparable to German night in the Horizon. It's almost impossible to find anything to eat that isn't loaded with fat.

You need to get out more. :) A "traditional" dish of any country is not the one thing everyone eats every day and for every meal. Do you eat hamburgers and hot dogs for breakfast, lunch and dinner for 365 days in a row? Pub fare in the UK has been improving for the past 15 years or so. It's possible to get some really delicious (and healthy) food in a pub. In fact, I have been in pubs where there were no fish or chips to be had! The whole "gastropub" trend illustrates what is happening in UK pub food. (Not to mention all the ethnic influences on Pub food, such as Tikka Masala, a just about ubiquitous dish.) Now all this talk about pub food is making me wish I had a UK trip planned sooner than I do.

On Caribbean Princess in the summer, the Crown Grill was offering free fish and chips on both sea days and also on the day where the engines failed and we drifted across the Irish Sea for most of hte day (another thread a long while back, I think!).

On that first day when we were drifting, they also opened the pizza sit-down restaurant (would that be Sabatinis?) for free pizza lunch. It was gorgeous and I assumed that it was only offered cos we were missing Dublin and they had a lot of very unhappy passengers sitting around. However, they also opened it for at least one of the other sea days so I assumed it was open on all ships on sea days.

Does anyone know if Sabatini's offers free lunch on other cruises or do you think our last one was unique? We are on the transatlantic (Crown) in April with a LOT of sea days and was looking forward to this :-)

Tracey

PS - From the UK and very rarely eat fish and chips. Love them but do not have them very often ;-)

On Caribbean Princess in the summer, the Crown Grill was offering free fish and chips on both sea days and also on the day where the engines failed and we drifted across the Irish Sea for most of hte day (another thread a long while back, I think!).

On that first day when we were drifting, they also opened the pizza sit-down restaurant (would that be Sabatinis?) for free pizza lunch. It was gorgeous and I assumed that it was only offered cos we were missing Dublin and they had a lot of very unhappy passengers sitting around. However, they also opened it for at least one of the other sea days so I assumed it was open on all ships on sea days.

Does anyone know if Sabatini's offers free lunch on other cruises or do you think our last one was unique? We are on the transatlantic (Crown) in April with a LOT of sea days and was looking forward to this :-)

Tracey

PS - From the UK and very rarely eat fish and chips. Love them but do not have them very often ;-)

There is no free lunch, at Sabatini's.

Happy sailing and good health in 2017, and if God willing, beyond. :)

Edited by Kingofcool1947

We were on the Crown for 28 days oct/nov. No pizza in Sabatinis. My guess is that Princess installed pizza ovens in Sabatinis on limited ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Isn't there an Alfredo's Pizza Cafe on Crown? :confused:

So, why would Princess retrofit and install pizza ovens in Sabatini's? I have read that on many ships Sabatini's is gone, having been replaced by Curtis Stone SHARE.

God willing, may you have happy cruising and good health in 2017. :)

Isn't there an Alfredo's Pizza Cafe on Crown? :confused:

So, why would Princess retrofit and install pizza ovens in Sabatini's? I have read that on many ships Sabatini's is gone, having been replaced by Curtis Stone SHARE.

God willing, may you have happy cruising and good health in 2017. :)

There is no Alfredo's on the Crown. Sabatini's has been replaced by SHARE on only three ships, the Crown not one of them. On some select sailings on some ships, there has been Pizza offered at lunch in Sabatini's. I have the impression is has been random and not a regular thing. I have never been on a ship yet where they did this. I have been on the Crown several times.

Edited by shredie

The Pub Lunch has not been eliminated from Princess ships. My D/H enjoys it on every cruise and was offered often last month on the Star.

Not on the 10 day to Mexico. Nov 10-20th. I asked and was told it was up to the "food & beverage" manager to decide and he had said no.

We were on the Star Hawaiian cruise 12/20-1/4. The Pub Lunch was free and in the Crown Grill. However, only two items: fish & chips and fried shrimp. We had the F & C and it was not very good. All the traditional Brit food is no longer offered. No iced tea, only water is free and soda and bar drinks are charged.

Also, no butter on the tables in the MDR, very limited dessert menu, no Parmesan basket unless you ask the night before, beef medallions now replaced with a hamburger on the every day menu. If such is possible, HC is now even less appealing than just a few months ago.

Lunch in Portofino on Deck 6, 12-1:30 on embarkation day, although nobody will tell you that.

Princess is on a downward slide towards Carnival and NCL.

We were on the Star Hawaiian cruise 12/20-1/4. The Pub Lunch was free and in the Crown Grill. However, only two items: fish & chips and fried shrimp. We had the F & C and it was not very good. All the traditional Brit food is no longer offered. No iced tea, only water is free and soda and bar drinks are charged.

I don't know what that means. :confused: Beverages have always been extra cost and there has never been iced tea available for the pub lunch.

Not on the 10 day to Mexico. Nov 10-20th. I asked and was told it was up to the "food & beverage" manager to decide and he had said no.

Like on the Emerald's "free-with charge-free" cycle, I guess it's more on the F&B Manager's discretion, rather than corporate.

I don't know what that means. :confused: Beverages have always been extra cost and there has never been iced tea available for the pub lunch.

Having had only one prior experience with the Pub Lunch on the Grand, I don't remember if you can get an iced tea or not.

On Ruby Mexican 5-day cruise from San Pedro on December 17, 2016. We ate the Pub Lunch - 4 of us hunched over a very small round cocktail table - all with fish & chips, beverages and condiments on that table. Talk about ridiculous! I didn't even finish the fish & chips as they were soggy! Needless to say, "Free" wasn't compelling enough for a repeat visit after that performance... once was enough for me....

Edited by nomadguy
it was free

The original pub lunch menu had additional options besides F & C and fried shrimp. For example:

o Bangers and mash

o Ploughman's lunch

o Steak and kidney pie

o Scotch egg

o Chicken curry

These have apparently disappeared from the menu.