Alcoholic Beverage Package & Added Gratuities

Tarnished45

I basically agree with what you say (I'm not the one asking the question), but it misses the point.

The OP asked how it can be legal for NCL to charge him. The answer, as far as we know, is that it isn't legal, which is why they don't charge us.

Why would you think it is not legal?

Right, US doesn't have the same consumer laws as the UK which is how they can charge it here and not there, apparently. I also think a big part of it is that in the US people don't balk at it the same way others would. If you get a coupon of $$ off your meal at a restaurant you still tip on the full amount pre-coupon. And think we are just more used to seeing the 'add-on fees'... no purchase prices here include tax, so every bill is higher than prices quoted. If I go to a restaurant for dinner and they are advertising a 2 for $20 special (that's a common promo w 1 app, 2 entrees, and 1 dessert), it sounds like I'll get dinner for $20, but in reality I'll end up paying at least $25 between tax and tip... small example but on bigger ticket items, really does add up.

Plus there are assorted other industry specific fees like resort fees and what not. Plus deceptive advertising is more the standard here than the exception. [emoji53] you can't even begin to guess what your cell phone or cable bill is going to be based on the advertised price because it doesn't include any of the misc fees they tack on at the end.

I suspect that NCL gets their money one way or another, in a market they can't charge DSC or service charges for the bev package, they can just charge slightly higher prices to make up for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sanger727

I booked in the UK yesterday and got the UBP and we do not pay any extra gratuities on top. Here the price you see is the price you pay, same as when you go to a shop if it says £19.99 that's what you pay at the till no added extra tax. It is already included in the price.

What I did elect to have added and prepay was the daily service charge at £59.50 per week per person.

I am not sure why any UK resident would book via the US with the horrible exchange rate for us.

It isn't just the gratuities and there are plenty of reasons to book via a US site.

A recent example I found was a US cruise price was over TRIPLE the price in euros. $349 vs 1100+++ euros- "same" everything, checked within hours. I have often heard UK people claim "deals" they got- when I smile having paid a lot less, "oh that sounds great" etc. The US pricing market is a winner many times.

When are you charged the gratuity? Is it included here:

Summary of Charges

TOTAL 2 GUESTS $ 5,498.00

GOV'T TAXES, FEES & PORT EXPENSES $320.70

TOTAL $ 5,818.70

Thanks!

No gratuity is reflected in the total you are showing.

Consumer protection laws are different (weaker) in the US vs Europe. We're used to items advertised as "free", but with an *. Free box spring (with a mattress purchase, free cell phone (with a bunch of terms)....NCL offers a free drink package, as long as you pay a service charge. I kind of agree it's not free but offered at a discount. We're used to looking for the * and finding out how much we'll have to pay for a "free" offer. I sort of agree it's not right calling it free, however that's they way things are allowed to be marketed in the US.

In some states gratuity implies an optional fee for good service. That's why it's called a service fee. A service fee doesn't have to be optional. An automatic tip or gratuity is subject to dispute (for bad service). A fee labeled as a service charge not as much.

Legal or not, it is wrong. The fault lies within the wording of the promotion. Offering free drinks is a misnomer if it comes with a mandatory service charge. Is there an option to walk behind the bars and serve yourself (if only, right!?)-- no. You cannot get one (free drinks) without the other (service charge). Thus, they are not free at all. You can attempt to separate the cost of the drinks with the cost of the gratuity via written disclaimers all you want, but it's still sneaky.

If I offer you a free five dollar bill but warn that it comes with a $1 transaction fee, you haven't gotten $5 for free, but rather $4 for free.

That being said, I would still choose it as a perk, as it is a great "deal" regardless (as others have said).

Legal or not, it is wrong. The fault lies within the wording of the promotion. Offering free drinks is a misnomer if it comes with a mandatory service charge. Is there an option to walk behind the bars and serve yourself (if only, right!?)-- no. You cannot get one (free drinks) without the other (service charge). Thus, they are not free at all. You can attempt to separate the cost of the drinks with the cost of the gratuity via written disclaimers all you want, but it's still sneaky.

If I offer you a free five dollar bill but warn that it comes with a $1 transaction fee, you haven't gotten $5 for free, but rather $4 for free.

That being said, I would still choose it as a perk, as it is a great "deal" regardless (as others have said).

Right, but it's not unique. As the previous poster said, how often is something advertised for 'free' when it's not. Everyone who lives in the US knows that you have to read the 'fine print' to know what the actual offer is.

Verizon just had a promo where 'Get an iPhone for $99' is advertised with a little asterisk, saying with trade in of the prior years cell phone in excellent condition.

'Free unlimited beverage package' is advertised with a little asterisk, saying service fees apply.

They are no more 'wrong' than every other business in the US. This is how advertising has been done in the US and I don't except it to change. Whenever I hear the word 'free' or a deal too good to be true advertised my first thought is what's the catch. Since I know to expect additional fees, it's not a surprise, and in this case I still think it's a decent deal.

To me, this offer is actually pretty transparent, you get everything you need on the website. Unlike say time warner cable that advertises a cable, phone, and internet bundle for $99 for the first year; try getting them to tell you what it will actually cost for the second year.

Edited by sanger727

Would a UK person confirm that the cruise price does not decrease if they choose the Shore Excursion perk vs. the Open Bar?

If it does, then they're paying for the perk.

I'd like to compare a mock booking:

NCL STAR

2 guests

November 05 - 20, 2017

Inside Stateroom Category ID

Shore Excursion Perk

TOTAL $1,974.92 (1,616.93 British Pound)

Open Bar Perk

TOTAL $2,401.52 (1,966.20 British Pound)

Right, but it's not unique. As the previous poster said, how often is something advertised for 'free' when it's not. Everyone who lives in the US knows that you have to read the 'fine print' to know what the actual offer is.

Verizon just had a promo where 'Get an iPhone for $99' is advertised with a little asterisk, saying with trade in of the prior years cell phone in excellent condition.

'Free unlimited beverage package' is advertised with a little asterisk, saying service fees apply.

They are no more 'wrong' than every other business in the US. This is how advertising has been done in the US and I don't except it to change. Whenever I hear the word 'free' or a deal too good to be true advertised my first thought is what's the catch. Since I know to expect additional fees, it's not a surprise, and in this case I still think it's a decent deal.

Totally agreed. This is (unfortunately) standard practice in the U.S.

Where I might draw a slight distinction here, though, is that it is NOT customary to charge a fee for advertised cruise perks, and that other cruise lines (Celebrity comes to mind) offer a truly free, free drinks perk.

Totally agreed. This is (unfortunately) standard practice in the U.S.

Where I might draw a slight distinction here, though, is that it is NOT customary to charge a fee for advertised cruise perks, and that other cruise lines (Celebrity comes to mind) offer a truly free, free drinks perk.

While that is true, I have an upcoming NCL and celebrity cruise so have had the opportunity to compare them. I'm disappointed with celebrities 'free' drink package. While it does include bottled water and specialty coffee, it only covers cocktails up to $8. And if you want to go to one of the premium bars where everything is priced at either $10 or $12, you have to pay full price for the drink.

To get what is comparable to NCL's package, you can upgrade to the premium package where you can get cocktails up to $13 and if you want something over you only pay the difference. This is $11.80 per day upcharge. So it's not quite apples to apple, to get comparable level of premium drinks you will still pay on celebrity.

Edited by sanger727

While that is true, I have an upcoming NCL and celebrity cruise so have had the opportunity to compare them. I'm disappointed with celebrities 'free' drink package. While it does include bottled water and specialty coffee, it only covers cocktails up to $8. And if you want to go to one of the premium bars where everything is priced at either $10 or $12, you have to pay full price for the drink.

To get what is comparable to NCL's package, you can upgrade to the premium package where you can get cocktails up to $13 and if you want something over you only pay the difference. This is $11.80 per day upcharge. So it's not quite apples to apple, to get comparable level of premium drinks you will still pay on celebrity.

Did you also compare the drink prices on Celebrity to the prices on NCL? I wonder if that makes up some of the difference. My group had the standard drink package on Celebrity, and none of us felt cheated or wished we had the premium. We ordered any drink we wanted, and they made it for us. We couldn't partake in the martini bar, but that was only a small inconvenience. As you find yourself enjoying your bottled water and espresso drinks from the coffee shop, I think you might change your mind. :)

Edited by stickey_mouse

I booked in US and have the UBP. and was only charged the daily $15.50 service charge. I was not charged any prepaid gratuity for drinks

As your service charge is $15.50 that tells us you are booked in a suite, in which case you don't pay the gratuity on the beverage package

I don't have any issue with the gratuity.

What I don't understand is how legally NCL can require you to pay the gratuities on something they have given you free that has cost $0.

I just wondered how they can do it :) :) :)

They aren't giving you anything for free. They are charging you what you would pay as gratuities if you bought the package as your cost. It is not free.

Ok help me out what is the daily service charge for an inside cabin

$13.50 per day if you pay onboard.

You can pay it in advance, which is worth considering if you booked in the U.K.

If you prepay it then it will be £8.50. That works out at an exchange rate of 1.58

Alternatively, buy some on board credit to use to pay it.

Did you also compare the drink prices on Celebrity to the prices on NCL? I wonder if that makes up some of the difference. My group had the standard drink package on Celebrity, and none of us felt cheated or wished we had the premium. We ordered any drink we wanted, and they made it for us. We couldn't partake in the martini bar, but that was only a small inconvenience. As you find yourself enjoying your bottled water and espresso drinks from the coffee shop, I think you might change your mind. :)

I have, it appears the classic package will cover roughly half the drinks listed on the menu's in the standard bars and none of the drinks in the premium bars along w a couple red and a couple white wines in the dining room. I never drink bottled water either way due to the wastefulness of the bottle though the coffees would be nice. I'll give the classic package a try but I'm pretty sure I'll end up upgrading to premium. I really don't drink that much, What I enjoy about the drink package is the all inclusive feeling and not having to watch every penny.. I don't drink rum and coke, like the fruit fancy mixed drinks on vacation, and being limited to 25-30% of the drinks offered on the ship doesn't feel very inclusive to me.

If you get a coupon of $$ off your meal at a restaurant you still tip on the full amount pre-coupon.

I'm glad you apparently do it this way but working in the restaurant industry, that's not always the case. Kids eat free, yeah, but they also leave a bigger miss sometimes (if the parents don't clean it up) and then don't leave a tip to cover the extra work needed to turn the table.

And then you have the people that look at the net bill and tip on that. It's all a part of the job.

We're booked on Epic next year and as part of the deal we have the drinks package.

The gratuities have been added to our booking to pay before sailing. Even if they weren't we would tip each bar server while on board.

So my thread IS NOT about avoiding paying gratuities.

What I don't understand is how legally NCL can require you to pay the gratuities on something they have given you free that has cost $0.

Can anyone explain this to me please? :confused::confused::confused:

Anything you get free still has a value and you are charged the 18% of that value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't drink rum and coke, like the fruit fancy mixed drinks on vacation, and being limited to 25-30% of the drinks offered on the ship doesn't feel very inclusive to me.

Then the premium package is probably the better fit for you. But honestly, I drank all your typical fruity, tropical, and blended drinks on celebrity and was never told it wasn't covered. And I find it hard to believe that 75% of the drinks exceed the standard package.