Bliss Pacific Coastal

cot427

Just booked the Bliss 5-night Pacific Coastal! Always wanted to do a PC and this is perfect because it ends in LA, which means time to explore that area as I've never been.

I only want to rant about one thing: they are marketing it with an overnight in Vancouver, which is the departure port. But it leaves Vancouver Day 2 at 1:30am. That is NOT overnight in my opinion. That is delayed departure. I'm assuming that passengers would be allowed off until 12 or so, but still not what I had in mind for an "overnight" in Vancouver.

Just booked the Bliss 5-night Pacific Coastal! Always wanted to do a PC and this is perfect because it ends in LA, which means time to explore that area as I've never been.

I only want to rant about one thing: they are marketing it with an overnight in Vancouver, which is the departure port. But it leaves Vancouver Day 2 at 1:30am. That is NOT overnight in my opinion. That is delayed departure. I'm assuming that passengers would be allowed off until 12 or so, but still not what I had in mind for an "overnight" in Vancouver.

I don't think any of the times are right. Look at the arrival times for the other ports. I'm actually surprised they are going out of Vancouver. We did a PC on Royal's Explorer of the Seas a couple of months ago and it was out of Seattle supposedly because it was too tall to fit under the Lions Gate Bridge in Vancouver. The Bliss looks even taller.

I don't think any of the times are right. Look at the arrival times for the other ports. I'm actually surprised they are going out of Vancouver. We did a PC on Royal's Explorer of the Seas a couple of months ago and it was out of Seattle supposedly because it was too tall to fit under the Lions Gate Bridge in Vancouver. The Bliss looks even taller.

I wonder about this as well. I guess they have a couple years to figure it out. Will be interesting to see what they come up with.

It is interesting that it's leaving out of Vancouver and not Seattle, the regular Alaska port. I'm sure first time leaving from there will be fun.

We are stopping in Victoria BC, which would satisfy the foreign port but also its obviously closer to Vancouver.

As for the times, they are messed up on the website. But in my confirmation email, the times 'seem' correct and it says leaving Vancouver at 1:30am day 2 and arrive in Victoria at 8 the same morning.

It is interesting that it's leaving out of Vancouver and not Seattle, the regular Alaska port. I'm sure first time leaving from there will be fun.

We are stopping in Victoria BC, which would satisfy the foreign port but also its obviously closer to Vancouver.

As for the times, they are messed up on the website. But in my confirmation email, the times 'seem' correct and it says leaving Vancouver at 1:30am day 2 and arrive in Victoria at 8 the same morning.

They need the international port, so they would not leave out of vancouver

It is interesting that it's leaving out of Vancouver and not Seattle, the regular Alaska port.

They can't sail between two US ports without calling at a distant foreign port. Since neither Victoria nor Vancouver are distant foreign ports, the repositioning cruise cannot originate from Seattle.

They can't sail between two US ports without calling at a distant foreign port. Since neither Victoria nor Vancouver are distant foreign ports, the repositioning cruise cannot originate from Seattle.

The law actually states "distant"? Wow...don't you just love the government.

The law actually states "distant"? Wow...don't you just love the government.

Yup.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/19/4.80a

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/pvsa_icp_3.pdf (see page 13).

Nearby foreign port means any foreign port in North America, Central America, the Bermuda Islands, or the West Indies (including the Bahama Islands, but not including the Leeward Islands of the Netherlands Antilles, i.e., Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao). A port in the U.S. Virgin Islands shall be treated as a nearby foreign port.

Distant foreign port means any foreign port that is not a nearby port.

Since they're already meeting PVSA requirements by leaving from Vancouver, I feel it's foolish to have Victoria as the next stop. That means no CBP preclearance in Vancouver (as next port is Canadian), and none in Victoria (they don't do it there, and even if they wanted to they couldn't handle 4000+ pax).

Which means San Francisco will have every single passenger doing US immigration. Pier 27 is not an efficient place for this to happen - we've done it on a significantly smaller vessel and folks were complaining bitterly about the queues... they have way space than at Canada Place so even if every desk is staffed it's going to take a looooooong time to get done.

The Lions Gate Bridge has a ship clearance of 200 feet. I think the Breakaway class ships at 179 feet. Celebrity Reflection got a chop in order to fit under the bridge. I can't find what her height is above the waterline but it was a mast chop to fit. Explorer of the seas at 237 feet was not able to port in Vancouver so Victoria made some port enhancements to accommodate. FYI the Golden Gate Bridge has a clearance of 220 feet. Curious about the height of the Bliss above the water line.

The question I had is who is on the trip from LA to Alaska for the start of the season? I didn't see any PC at the start of the season so thinking it is a press/TA run.

I was wondering this also dex. That would be my choice booking for a PC, but may just jump on the Vancouver to LA in September.

I was wondering this also dex. That would be my choice booking for a PC, but may just jump on the Vancouver to LA in September.

Hello to you and your DH. I was wondering if you were going to be booking any of the Bliss Mexican Riviera trips? What else do yo have in the works? We just got off the Gem in December and had a nice time.

Next trip this summer with kids on MSC Divina and we booked Escape to Bermuda for 2018.

Any consideration for the effect of the tides - high tides and the ship floats too

high to pass under the bridge without modification. Even at low tide the

passage maybe a tight fit !

Arrival and departure at odd times at NIGHT can cause havoc with longshoremen

working rules and other tasks Customs as well as a host of other occupations

just to use the tide to benefit those last few meters.

I remember years ago being on ship positioning cruise with the Princess Line

"Golden Princess" and almost being able to reach out and shake hands with

folks on the Lions Gate Bridge.

One of the problems the Captain encountered on clearing the LGB bridge was

the floatilla of sail boats jamming the channel - Captain blasting the ship's

horn several times exiting the narrow passageway !

Been commented before here at CC that TONNAGE of a ship should not be

argued with by a dingbat sailing dingy claiming right of way !

The Golden Princess had a Bar venue at the stern of the ship - 17 decks

above the hull line -interesting all the comments of the ship clearing the

deck of the LGB - another I drink to that - WHEW that was close !

Further down the coast at the Golden Gate Bridge it was foggy could not

tell how close to the bridge deck we were on arrival although on departure

with the fog lifted - loads of room.

Princess 'Golden Princess" interesting itinerary - Vancouver - Victoria - Astoria

- San Francisco - Santa Catalina Island - Long Beach

Can you give me the exact arrival and departure times for our cruise. Want to make sure its right on my Intin. My TA did not have Intin uploaded from NCL yet

Question:

Aren't the cruises out of Seattle "CLOSED LOOP" - originate and end same port ?

Cruises out of Vancouver Seward/Whittier (Anchorage) treated as OPEN or a one-way passage between the two ?

Hello to you and your DH. I was wondering if you were going to be booking any of the Bliss Mexican Riviera trips? What else do yo have in the works? We just got off the Gem in December and had a nice time.

Next trip this summer with kids on MSC Divina and we booked Escape to Bermuda for 2018.

Since the Bliss will be on the west coast, we will keep our eyes out for any last minute MR cruises...those are fun to do with absolutely no planning :p

Up next is the Getaway TA in April (Miami to Copenhagen) then the Star (Venice/Greece)in May while we are already in Europe...with a Paris trip thrown in, haha.

Did you do the status match with MSC? Yacht Club???

Since they're already meeting PVSA requirements by leaving from Vancouver, I feel it's foolish to have Victoria as the next stop. That means no CBP preclearance in Vancouver (as next port is Canadian), and none in Victoria (they don't do it there, and even if they wanted to they couldn't handle 4000+ pax).

Which means San Francisco will have every single passenger doing US immigration. Pier 27 is not an efficient place for this to happen - we've done it on a significantly smaller vessel and folks were complaining bitterly about the queues... they have way space than at Canada Place so even if every desk is staffed it's going to take a looooooong time to get done.

I think they do it when you board the ship in Vancouver. At least that's the way it's been on our other Repositioning Cruises out of Vancouver.

Why would you say that Seattle is the regular Alaska Port? I live in Vancouver, and IMO, Vancouver is the regular Alaska Port... haha Maybe you know something that I don't? We have a fleet of cruise ships that sail to Alaska from Vancouver every year.

Since the Bliss will be on the west coast, we will keep our eyes out for any last minute MR cruises...those are fun to do with absolutely no planning :p

Up next is the Getaway TA in April (Miami to Copenhagen) then the Star (Venice/Greece)in May while we are already in Europe...with a Paris trip thrown in, haha.

Did you do the status match with MSC? Yacht Club???

Sounds nice. We did status match. Well, actually, I did several months back and they gave me "Black". Booked two YC rooms and they had to split DW and I as no one over 25 in the other room. I had asked on the CC MSC page and they said no problem if one over 21 which we would have DD's BF, but apparently that was not correct. So I got the 5% off the room.

I did apply DW for status match last week (I was dropping the ball on not getting it done sooner) and she got "Black" yesterday. Emailed TA and she was able to get the 5% off the other room.

We are pretty excited to go on MSC. I let the kids decide where they wanted to go and they said Western Caribbean and one of the options was Divina. Showed them info and videos of the ship and YC and they were excited to go. Kind of wish the Seaside was there already but we'll have to plan that for another time.

The Lions Gate Bridge has a ship clearance of 200 feet. I think the Breakaway class ships at 179 feet. Celebrity Reflection got a chop in order to fit under the bridge. I can't find what her height is above the waterline but it was a mast chop to fit. Explorer of the seas at 237 feet was not able to port in Vancouver so Victoria made some port enhancements to accommodate. FYI the Golden Gate Bridge has a clearance of 220 feet. Curious about the height of the Bliss above the water line.

I just looked up on Google and the Bridge of the Americas is 201'. So they need to be under that to do the Panama Canal crossing anyway.

Why would you say that Seattle is the regular Alaska Port? I live in Vancouver, and IMO, Vancouver is the regular Alaska Port... haha Maybe you know something that I don't? We have a fleet of cruise ships that sail to Alaska from Vancouver every year.

Obviously I meant that for this specific ship. The regular Alaska Port departure port for Bliss is Seattle. I'm sailing on Millennium in May out of Vancouver!

Interesting to read some of the height specifications. I'm sure it will all be worked out. Someone on another thread wondered when the ship will be getting into Vancouver before our sailing. It looks like a 7-night Alaska sailing ends on the 29th so they have a non-revenue cruise sailing from Seattle to Vancouver for the 30th. It gives them flexibility to get in during low tide.

I hope we don't have to do a long-drawn out immigrant before San Francisco. That's what I'm looking forward to the most.

Depending on what Celebrity/Royal releases for Fall 2018, I may jump ship if their itineraries are better.