Has the class camel just stuck his nose under the tent?

DaveFr

I don't think so, it's welcome for everyone on the ship. But if you spend a lot more on a suite you should get extra perks. If you chose to fly First Class on a plane you get extras, so why not on the ship. Even with trains you get extras when you book the upper cabin on the train. If you book a upper suite on the ship you get the same points as an inside cabin with the Regent loyal program-why?

Rick

All valid arguments; however, this hasn't (until now) been the Radisson/Regent culture. One of my fellow cruise critic guests said on Voyager in Med in 2003 "Radisson makes you feel like you have a million bucks even when you don't."

Marc

Maybe true but things change. Everyone talking about snobs, special people thinking about themself ..... Most people didn't even know about this until the read about it. So no one is acting like a snob. Sorry but if someone is going to pay twice the price, they should get a few breaks. People that earn higher levels on the loyal program, then wear their pins or place them on the door to their cabin---now that's questionable why they do that - Maybe asking for special service. Sorry but I just don't agree with you, but I'm not going to let it trouble me or spoil by cruise. I just wouldn't worry about what someone else gets. If this was my biggest problem in life I'd be happy.............Rick

I don't think so, it's welcome for everyone on the ship. But if you spend a lot more on a suite you should get extra perks. If you chose to fly First Class on a plane you get extras, so why not on the ship. Even with trains you get extras when you book the upper cabin on the train. If you book a upper suite on the ship you get the same points as an inside cabin with the Regent loyal program-why?

Rick

With all due respect (and I do respect your comments), your post sounds as if it were from someone used to the "class system" (which you are - not a put down at all).

Firstly, I must discount airplanes since you do not spend days/weeks on an airplane. And, I agree that people that pay more for a suite should get more benefits (larger suite, butler, and similar amenities). But (here is the "but" you were probably waiting for:) ), on luxury cruise lines , everyone is treated the same once you walk outside of your suite. There is no discernable differentiation. Yes - some people can book excursions and dining reservations earlier than others which, on Regent, is not based on suite level alone but also on Seven Seas Society level*. If you and I were anywhere on the ship, there is no way to tell if I was in the lowest suite and you were in the highest. Note: Our key card colors only indicate how many nights you have spent on Regent). Most importantly, Regent passengers do not care what level of suite you are in (it is simply not discussed onboard the ships).

As I have mentioned previously, we stayed in an F1 suite for the first 2 weeks of our cruise in November and 2 weeks in an upper suite. We were treated 100% the same by the staff (again, once we walked outside of our suite).

*When Regent implemented the "Concierge" program, many of us (especially me) ranted on CC for a long time. At one point, Regent was going to have boarding based on your suite category (as they do on Oceania). Thankfully, the outcry was great enough that this was cancelled approximately one month after implementation. Unfortunately, the part of the program that is invisible to others (booking reservations early) was implemented. To this day it is unnerving that friends or a family traveling together - one in a Concierge or above suite and the other in a non-Concierge suite cannot book reservations at the same time. As you can probably tell, I have zero tolerance for discrimination of any kind - even if you pay $10,000/night for the Regent suite and I pay a fraction of that for a "G" or "H" level suite!

P.S. Marc - I could not have said it better!

Edited by Travelcat2

I think your missing the point. Regents all ready has some perks in place. Like boarding the ship an hour before others, guarantee dining reservation at any dining room, early tour and dining reservations before cruising. I sure there maybe a few additional things I don't know about. I also think you do get treated better because of all your cruises, they know you- pur and simple. It's good business to take care of repeat cruisers.

I think to many people worry about to much stuff---if they don't like it they can change who they cruise with---but looking at bookings I think Regent is doing the right thing. I just booked a cruise for April 2018 and most of the suites are sold. I think it's time to cruise and enjoy yourself-not worry about what some else gets as a perk.

And about the Study, who cares-I think if your having a special night why not-however my suite gets me in, but I don't think I'd be using it because I enjoy people-I may not want to sit having dinner with them-but I enjoy looking around and enjoying the night. Again if this was by biggest concern in life worry what others have, that would be nice. But I don't care! I worry about family, health and having a good life with enjoyment. Rick

Some people fly first class, book top suites, etc to acquire status/points/perks and that's their prerogative. For others (including us) the experience alone is sufficient "reward" and we don't seek any extras or wish to receive preferential treatment. So until now Regent has managed to avoid the fraught cruiseship class system and I for one hope it continues that way but I sense that under the new ownership and management we will see more of these "innovative improvements" by people who clearly don't understand the culture of this particular market.

Edited by RustyRollock

I was reading in the Miami Herald earlier this week that I am not welcome on the Explorer; Mr. Del Rio said the ship was "for the one per centers;" and I don't qualify. :(

You'd think Mr. Del Rio would know the one per centers have their own yachts. ;)

Some people fly first class, book top suites, etc to acquire status/points/perks and that's their prerogative. For others (including us) the experience alone is sufficient "reward" and we don't seek any extras or wish to receive preferential treatment. So until now Regent has managed to avoid the fraught cruiseship class system and I for one hope it continues that way but I sense that under the new ownership and management we will see more of these "innovative improvements" by people who clearly don't understand the culture of this particular market.

RustyRollock, do you take the Regent loyal points (nights)? If so whats the diffidence-your getting status. Also the way Regent handle perks, I think is the right way "not in your face".

Like getting a full bar in your suite,a cocktail party in your suite, additional newspapers, early booking for tours and dining. Sorry but I just disagree with you and others, I don't want to be treated different-but I want what I pay extra for.

Rick

Rick, just a quickie response... no one boards Regent ships before anyone else. It is first come first served - whether you have 5,000 nights on Regent or book a top suite (unless it has changed in the past week).

Forgot one more point - this bit about guaranteed dining reservations is very new and IMO, stinks (although it is something that is not visible to others). With more Explorer suites, there will likely be more passengers monopolizing the specialty restaurants. We do not plan on being one of them -one time per specialty restaurant is enough for us - unlike Regent's sister cruise line, we love the food in CR (the new menu) and could dine there every night.

Edited by Travelcat2

This is the quote from the Miami Herald:

“This ship was built for the 1-percenters,” said Del Rio, talking to reporters on a two-night cruise to Nassau last month to show off the ship to travel agents, media and VIPs. “Wealth is not something to hide, especially in the Trump era. The instructions I gave them were ‘Money is no object. Bring me your best idea and let me decide what I can afford.’

“This ship is a trophy. Every detail was meant to create wows.”

I rather like an understated quality in people. And it's a very common trait in Regent passengers. This lack of a class system drew us to Regent and even taking up cruising in the first place. I had travelled from England to Australia in first class as a five year old and I can still remember the 'rules' regarding not stepping over the line or deck into 'tourist class' and the sad faces of the other children staring at us as we did everything before them.

On our first (72 night) cruise we were in Cat H the whole time. Some of our fellow passengers in similarly 'lowly' categories could have easily afforded to stay in 'upper' suites but chose not to as they felt it was unnecessary given the homogenous nature of ship board life outside of their cabin door. We dined with the Captain and other senior staff and at no time did we feel we were treated differently to any other passengers.

The comparison to First Class air is fair, but on a plane you're in the air for a few hours and have very little interaction with your fellow passengers; it is not a shared experience - modern 'pods' reinforce this. Cruising is a very different environment - and it is a wonderful opportunity to be 'in the same boat' with fellow travellers from all over the world.

Mr Del Rio's comments, if they are correctly quoted, would seem at odds with the present egalitarian nature of life on board Regent ships. I hope I have misinterpreted the future direction of Regent cruising. Just sayin'

Rick, just a quickie response... no one boards Regent ships before anyone else. It is first come first served - whether you have 5,000 nights on Regent or book a top suite (unless it has changed in the past week).

Forgot one more point - this bit about guaranteed dining reservations is very new and IMO, stinks (although it is something that is not visible to others). With more Explorer suites, there will likely be more passengers monopolizing the specialty restaurants. We do not plan on being one of them -one time per specialty restaurant is enough for us - unlike Regent's sister cruise line, we love the food in CR (the new menu) and could dine there every night.

Sorry, I meant to say assess to your suite is a earlier. I agree we won't eat every night in a specialty restaurant or the CR--some nights we don't won't a full meal and will eat in the suite with a movie. I cruise to enjoy-I just think people are putting to much on this. My last common on the subject-if people don't want perks than stop the Regent loyalty program. Rick

It's odd that there has been no mention of this "Study" exclusive restruant until now. Especially when only one poster has admitted to dining in it, and they have given numerous posts and even a lengthy review by their own admission and it's only by chance the awareness of the place suddenly becomes public knowledge?

I would have thought by now the purpose and explanation of this top tier place would have been revealed?:confused: Jean.

Yes - some people can book excursions and dining reservations earlier than others which, on Regent, is not based on suite level alone but also on Seven Seas Society level*.

*When Regent implemented the "Concierge" program, many of us (especially me) ranted on CC for a long time. At one point, Regent was going to have boarding based on your suite category (as they do on Oceania). Thankfully, the outcry was great enough that this was cancelled approximately one month after implementation. Unfortunately, the part of the program that is invisible to others (booking reservations early) was implemented. To this day it is unnerving that friends or a family traveling together - one in a Concierge or above suite and the other in a non-Concierge suite cannot book reservations at the same time.

Not to hijack this thread, but how far in advance can penthouse suites book dining and excursions vs concierge or non-concierge suites? Can't seem to find this info. We upgraded our '18 WC from deluxe to penthouse yet our new invoice and online reservation details still shows the same booking dates for dining and excursions. Thx.

Look, I don't like the concept since the egalitarian nature of Regent has always been a distinguishing feature, but as I read this, it isn't an exclusive restaurant, it's an exclusive dining area. If you only have access to the menus offered in the other restaurants, it sounds like you are just getting a private dining area with (probably) very attentive service. If, on the other hand, it was some unique food offerings, it would bother me much more.

Also have to agree with those who note that if you have one of the large suites, dining ensuite would be more appealing. We like that every now and then in the more modest suites.

Look, I don't like the concept since the egalitarian nature of Regent has always been a distinguishing feature, but as I read this, it isn't an exclusive restaurant, it's an exclusive dining area. If you only have access to the menus offered in the other restaurants, it sounds like you are just getting a private dining area with (probably) very attentive service. If, on the other hand, it was some unique food offerings, it would bother me much more.

Also have to agree with those who note that if you have one of the large suites, dining ensuite would be more appealing. We like that every now and then in the more modest suites.

Wasn't going to say anything more, but what you say is common sense and I agree 100%.

Rick

It's odd that there has been no mention of this "Study" exclusive restruant until now. Especially when only one poster has admitted to dining in it, and they have given numerous posts and even a lengthy review by their own admission and it's only by chance the awareness of the place suddenly becomes public knowledge?

I would have thought by now the purpose and explanation of this top tier place would have been revealed?:confused: Jean.

Good question and I'm happy to respond. Firstly, it was not called The Study and was a work in progress. Secondly, I was so appalled by it and knew that CC members would likely be as well so why open a can of worms (that I knew would eventually be opened if Regent did not change their minds about keeping it as a private dining area.)?

Kwaj girl: I'm not 100% certain but believe that you can book reservations 90 days in advance if you are not concierge level or above and 60 days if you are. If you have a current booking, the date you can book will show under "My Account" on the Regent website.

Catpow: Really appreciated your post and understand it a bit more than other people born in the U.S. as my DH came to the U.S. in "tourist class" when it was really an uncomfortable place to be. He tells me stories of how "upper class" passengers would sneak down to their level because they sometimes were having more fun. I would hate to see Regent become like that.

Portolan: The service is no better or worse in the private dining area than it is in P7 or Chartreuse. Dining in your suite (which is larger than the private dining room) is so much better from many perspectives - mainly having the ability to have friends join you.

Rick: I understand that you don't "get it". I believe this has more of an impact on long time Regent cruisers. Although I only go back to 2004 when alcohol, excursions, pre-night hotel, etc. was not included, everyone was treated the same regardless of suite category. In terms of "perks" - they are invisible. There are two perks that are important to us: 1) "free" laundry; and 2) having the ability to have two logins when we are on the internet. These "perks" are a tool to keep passengers returning to Regent. Whether we have stayed in the lowest category or highest category suite, once we walk outside the door we are treated the same (and it has been this way since we first started with Regent - the only difference now is that we know more officers and crew and we do not make special requests that would not be given to anyone else on board - regardless of their suite category.)

In terms of the 1% comment, if that were true, we would not be sailing on Regent.

Edited by Travelcat2

Just checked "my bookings" for our WC and it still shows 90 days out (10/10) for dining reservations even though we changed to a penthouse. Will call on Monday as this may just be another website glitch.

Unfortunately TC has it backwards. Concierge suites and above can book restaurants 90 days before the cruise and excursions 240 days before the cruise. Suites below concierge level may book dining and excursions, respectively, 75 days and 180 days days before the cruise. 90 days out is better than 75 days out.

Since your deluxe suite was allowed to book restaurants 90 days before the cruise, it appears that all world cruise passengers are allowed to book at that time. I assume you will be able to book a restaurant reservation online for each individual segment of the world cruise.

Hope this helps.

Edited by DaveFr

Unfortunately TC has it backwards. Concierge suites and above can book restaurants 90 days before the cruise and excursions 240 days before the cruise. Suites below concierge level may book dining and excursions, respectively, 75 days and 180 days days before the cruise. 90 days out is better than 75 days out.

Since your deluxe suite was allowed to book restaurants 90 days before the cruise, it appears that all world cruise passengers are allowed to book at that time. I assume you will be able to book a restaurant reservation online for each individual segment of the world cruise.

Hope this helps.

Definitely backwards - thanks for catching it!

I have seen this before, loyalist complaining about changes, bemoaning the introduction of things people want and will pay for, claiming it is ""class" separation. It is simply a vendor offering a product or service that some of their customers want and are willing to buy. Being a Celebrity and Regent cruiser, have watched this same battle at Celebrity over Luminae and Michaels Club for their suite passengers. If Regent can create an amenity or perk, that a customer will PAY for, how does it harm the rest of you. Saying "its not the Regent culture" is nonsense. Businesses evolve and change or they die. Most of us enjoy the fact that we no longer have to pack formal wear, but some mourn it. All inclusive, does not exempt extras. Extra perks, are just a sign of evolution. I see that most of the loyalist are offended by a perk they do not want and will not pay for, so why complain that it exists. Over 90% of the people on the ship do not play trivia or do the other silly things to get points to get free hats and shirts, but they do not seem to care that you have your fun. So let Regent do what they need to do to build and fill nice ships and let's each enjoy the things on the ship we like and not lose sleep over the things we do not want. Loyalty buys some things, and money buys others. Elitism can come from both sides, snobbery is not restricted by either. Let each group be rewarded and enjoy the fruits of their benefits, however they get them.

+1, only wish I could have said that. Also let the market do what it does. One last thing TC I do "get it", we just don't agree. You cruise the way you like and we'll cruise the way we like-on the ship we treat everyone the way we want to be treated. Like they said it goes both ways............Rick

Regent loyalists need to speak up! We have before and it worked - Regent listens. Thankfully there are choices, if someone wants special areas for "privileged guests", it is available on many other cruise lines. Thankfully we have many choices in cruising and do not need to change Regent into something else.

I have seen many changes with Radisson/Regent over the years and accept most of them without comment (I did not complain when the unlimited dining in specialty restaurants was announced - when the pre-night hotel was taken away - when air credits reduced dramatically - when suites are changed to a higher category ....... the list goes on and on. Change is to be expected in life - that is the way it is. However, some changes make no sense and this is one of them.

IMO, this wasted space in between two dining venues would also make a good private meeting room - very classy - beautifully designed and you will likely not be interrupted.

In any case, I hope anyone who is unhappy (or happy) with this will post on Cruise Critic which will let Regent management know what their loyal guests are thinking.

Rick - from what I think you are saying, although you have yet to sail on Regent, you "think" that you will like the ship and the way everyone is treated which is probably why you booked the Explorer. So, if Regent decides to do away with this class-oriented benefit, you won't mind. I guess that time will tell.

Edited by Travelcat2

I have seen this before, loyalist complaining about changes, bemoaning the introduction of things people want and will pay for, claiming it is ""class" separation. It is simply a vendor offering a product or service that some of their customers want and are willing to buy. Being a Celebrity and Regent cruiser, have watched this same battle at Celebrity over Luminae and Michaels Club for their suite passengers. If Regent can create an amenity or perk, that a customer will PAY for, how does it harm the rest of you. Saying "its not the Regent culture" is nonsense. Businesses evolve and change or they die. Most of us enjoy the fact that we no longer have to pack formal wear, but some mourn it. All inclusive, does not exempt extras. Extra perks, are just a sign of evolution. I see that most of the loyalist are offended by a perk they do not want and will not pay for, so why complain that it exists. Over 90% of the people on the ship do not play trivia or do the other silly things to get points to get free hats and shirts, but they do not seem to care that you have your fun. So let Regent do what they need to do to build and fill nice ships and let's each enjoy the things on the ship we like and not lose sleep over the things we do not want. Loyalty buys some things, and money buys others. Elitism can come from both sides, snobbery is not restricted by either. Let each group be rewarded and enjoy the fruits of their benefits, however they get them.

This is the best post on this topic although I am not a current Regent customer but have been several years ago. Crystal will be building a condo/cruise ship. The future condo owners will have certain perks such as a private dining room and concierge and deck areas at least that is the plan. We really don't care as they have dearly paid for these amenities. When they step,out of their condo they will be among the other cruisers and perhaps have a good seat at the shows but look what they payed for this, close to two million. Perhaps they will have priority for dinner reservations again, they will pay for it and they will also be paying condo fees in addition. I certainly have no interest in buying one we have been offered a condo on the World and declined.

Seabourn now has the private cabanas on their new Encore and the upcoming new Ovation in 2018. We will be sailing the Encore this year. The cabanas go for $350.00 a day. Private food service, private bar and mini bar and TV's with Bluetooth headsets and a dedicated attendant. Will we use it? Yes with our generous OBC....this is our choice and why begrudge us for paying for something we want?

Absolutely, we will spend our money as we like and if we want to pay for the extras we will and you won't even know who we are or what suite we are in we just mingle with everybody and the bottom line is it is a private choice and none of anybody's business on any line.

I would have no notion or interest of speaking out, but will just reserve my judgement of feeling that this is a step in the wrong direction. So in reality you are saying that Regent will take heed of posts here indicating the error of this new era of private dining?