jet lag

MJC

Advice from the AARP for dealing with jet lag. Anyone else have any tips? I always take melatonin if I'll be changing time zones dramatically on a cruise.

http://travel.aarp.org/articles-tips/articles/info-2016/how-to-avoid-jet-lag.html?cmp=EMC-DSO-NLC-TRVL-TRAVEL--NMCTRL-011017-F2-1781934&ET_CID=1781934&ET_RID=21508715&encparam=lXqk9b8cQOidzEs9v1eVJw==

Advice from the AARP for dealing with jet lag. Anyone else have any tips? I always take melatonin if I'll be changing time zones dramatically on a cruise.

http://travel.aarp.org/articles-tips/articles/info-2016/how-to-avoid-jet-lag.html?cmp=EMC-DSO-NLC-TRVL-TRAVEL--NMCTRL-011017-F2-1781934&ET_CID=1781934&ET_RID=21508715&encparam=lXqk9b8cQOidzEs9v1eVJw==

The only numerous times you will change on a cruise would be transatlantics, which in that case change slowly. Most others are in the same time zone or maybe one other. :)

Now if you are referring to changing time zones getting to a cruise, such as between the US coasts or internationally, then that is another story. I guess I'm fortunate in that I'm usually fine by the next day on coast to coast, in particular if I try to stay on my normal time zone sleep schedule day of arrival.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I didn't read the article because the way I deal with jet lag works for me. I dn't get any jet lag at all when traveling across the U.S. so that's not an issue. When I travel to Europe or Asia, I typically try to arrange my flights so that I arrive late afternoon. I don't sleep on the flight and I never take a nap when I arrive at my hotel. I walk around and explore. If I'm there earlier (I'll arrive in Rome at 10:30 a.m. on my next trip to Europe) then I go see something on my list that isn't too, too active. I go to bed no later than 10 p.m and as early as 8 p.m. I usually wake up at about 4:00 a.m. local time and feel completely fine. This has been the case on every international trip I've ever taken and I've taken many.

Now, returning home is another story! LOL.

Not only transatlantic but also Baltic Capitals cruise can be grueling going east! I use Argonne antijet lag diet plus try to go to bed an hour early starting a week prior to the trip.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

We do not have much trouble in North America however my job entailed working in,and travelling frequently in three time zones. I got used to it.

If we fly to Europe we often arrive in the late morning/mid day. If we can get into our hotel we have a shower, and then get out for some walking. We try to get on the local schedule as soon as possible. It can make the arrival day a struggle but it is worth it. Going east to Asia we typically arrive in the late evening. We check in and crash. We skip dinner. Next morning all seems well.

Coming home is a very different story. Not certain why but sometimes it takes us a few days to catch up. Going to sleep early at night and waking early in the AM seems to be the norm. We have never had an issue on a cruise. On our one and only TA we never noticed the change because it was so gradual. Plus,we were just so thankful to get off the ship after five sea days.

If you'll be away (internationally) for a regular work week or less (3-5 days), get a dual zone watch, try to stay on your home time and adjust your day's activities (e.g., sleep, meals, etc) about two-three hours in either (appropriate) direction. Basically, you should then have zero (or minimal) problem with time zone differences of 3-6 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We tried all the recommendations about not napping, keeping to our schedule and our jet lag was terrible, when traveling to Europe. On our last trip, when we arrived, we went to our room and took a nap (1 1/2- 2 hours), got up and freshened up, went out and enjoyed the afternoon and night. Got to bed early and woke up the next morning w/o the jet lag. I think this works for us best. We were miserable trying to stay awake and force ourselves not to rest and get a bit of sleep. We kept it to a max of two hours to make sure we didn't get too much sleep and wake up in the middle of the night.

I have issues with MD and become extremely cramped while flying longer distances. My Dr. gave me an RX for Oxycodon to manage the pain. It was not only great help with the pain but enabled a few good hrs of sleep. Generally, this sleep allows me to keep going after arrival into the new advanced schedule until bed time in my new location.